“Perfect Family complex”
Review of Zafiro Mallorca

Zafiro Mallorca
Ranked #5 of 39 Hotels in Ca'n Picafort
Reviewed 16 June 2009

We spent ages scouring tripadvisor and wondering what to do, so glad we read and believed the reviews for Viva Mallorca. The place was fantastic, massive apartment and so clean, we even saw the maids polishing the fire extinguishers! Relaxed and quiet atmosphere although there was plenty going on particularly for the children. The activities were well run and never intrusive despite organised games being held in the main pool. The staff were fantastic and very helpful. We went self catering but used the buffet facilities on a few nights out of our 7 night stay, not gormet quality but certainly high enough quality considering the numbers catered for and the variety of food on offer. Other nights we wandered into Ca'n Picafort (5 mins and that was with two 4 year olds)which was cheaper but limited choice of the bog standard fayre that you would find in any costa resort. Ca'n Picafort is not the prettiest resort in Majorca but is passable for a week and the fantastic Viva Mallorca complex made up for that. It is a good spot to visit the north of the island and we would highly recommend it. The children really enjoyed the evening entertainment which again wouldn't win any awards but was certainly entertaining. Overall we couldn't find any fault with this complex and would consider visiting other hotels in the Viva chain in the future. We found that the majority of guests were German and this is probably reflective of the fact that the only English tour operator linked to the complex was Sovereign, however our top tip would be to book independently as this was much cheaper.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank Hulmies

Reviewed 7 June 2009

We are a family of 2 adults and one child aged 8, from The Midlands, UK - staying at Viva Mallorca for Spring half term from 22nd to 29th May 2009. We found this hotel by chance through Sovereign, a tour operator which is now part of TUI/Thomson. Sovereign featured it highly for family suitability and the reviews here on Trip Advisor were very consistent and excellent. The first thing which hits you is the cleanliness of the place - partly down to the newness (around 3 years old)...the grounds, reception and pools were all spotless. It has a grand feel due to high-ceilings and open spaces, without being at all stuffy or formal - so it's great for discerning adults but totally suitable for children: a rare combination! The gardens are really impressive and the numerous pools and sunbathing areas are amongst the best we have seen anywhere in the World: spacious, clean, perfectly maintained. I just hope that they manage to sustain this quality when the place gets a few years older.
Arriving at the sparkling clean marble-floored reception, we were handled efficiently: front desk staff spoke very good English (though this hotel seems to attract less Britains than other Europeans), our only minor complaint was that we were not offered any help with our three large suitcases, despite the accommodation blocks being a good 5 to 10 minutes walk along paths, corridors and through gardens. We later found out that airport-style trolleys were available. Rooms are spacious and well equipped, facing either the perimeter roads or inwards towards the pools. Our room was 1st floor (there are 3 floors) and facing outwards towards residential properties on a side road. Pool/inward facing might be more popular and carried a 10 euro per day surcharge. However, we were warned that these pool facing rooms can suffer from the noise of evening entertainment, but are almost certainly preferable, if you want to people watch and feel part of the complex at all times. We have absolutely no complaints about facing outwards though - it was quiet, possibly more private, but we barely used the balcony in any case. We booked on a room-only basis, but the impressive buffet restaurant can be used on a pay-as-you-go basis or by buying half-board or all-inclusive packages. The great thing here is that they allowed people to decide on a daily basis - so, if you plan to be on the complex from morning until night, you could elect to have all-inclusive for that day alone and get maximum value. We did this, when not out exploring other places by car. Be warned that the hotel all-inclusive rate of 43 euros per day per adult is dramatically cheaper than the tour operator charges, so we made a wise decision booking room-only from the UK and choosing meal options when at the hotel. In general, as you might expect, the food, drinks and on-site shop are all fairly expensive compared to the myriad of shops and restaurants in the resorts. For instance inside the Viva Mallorca complex, suncream was around £20 a bottle (£12 elsewhere) and dinner was 32 euros per adult (probably half that, outside the complex) BUT it is a great restaurant - service and food consistent and high quality and varied - kids love it - so whilst 32 euros per adult (16 for kids) isn't dirt cheap, it's worth paying and we ate their most nights. We had a real find: San Marco on the boardwalk in the Port of Alcudia: terrific food and a great glass of wine.....3 courses and wine for just 9 euros each!
At Viva Mallorca, the entertainment, food, service were all really excellent and made for a first class holiday and a hotel which we would definitely return to, if returning to Majorca.
(Brief word on the tour operator we used: no real problems, but wrongly claimed that their room allocations were advantageous - untrue. And tour operators appear to be significantly more expensive than booking direct with Viva Mallorca - for room only and compared to what we paid for the exact same room and the exact same week, friends of ours paid about half the price, by booking direct!).

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank robatrockhouse
Reviewed 30 May 2009

We just spent a week in Viva Mallorca beginning of may. We can recommend this hotel for a week's getaway without any hesitation. Hiring a car in Mallorca is a must to get around, and the location of the hotel on the north coast is 1h drive away from the airport.

Open 24 h, we were welcomed at 3h in the morning. Hotel infrastructure is that of a large resort well suited for children. Pool and recreational area are clean and well kept. The rooms are large - you have a little kitchen corner to do some basic cooking. Do not expect facilities for regular cooking though because the equipment is quite basic - suited for some breakfast and perhaps pasta.

The hotel is situated in a residential quarter and you have to count 10-15 min walking down to the beach / coast. We found this rather an advantage as the coastline in Ca'n Picafort is not really beautiful (concrete, buildings, ...).

Altogether this is a nice base for exploring the beautiful north coast of the island by car. From Ca'n Picafort it's about 1h drive to Palma, 40 min to the mountains in the north and just half an hour for the neighboring villages to visit.

A special note for hotel staff: helpful and professional. And last but not least: English and German are spoken everywhere in Mallorca.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 May 2009

Stayed at the Viva Mallorca 30th April-5th May with my 2 kids (aged 12 and 9). I picked the hotel due to the reviews, as having stayed at 2 other hotels on the island in previous holidays, I wanted a hotel which would be self contained and have good entertainment and pools (I was going without my husband and didnt really want to go outwith the resort). Booked via holiday hypermarket, I opted for self catering. I arranged my transfers via shuttle direct over the internet, which was £140 return in a private taxi. I could have opted for a shuttle transfer, but with only 5 days to enjoy, I thought it was worth paying a wee bit extra to get there that bit quicker and also not have the worry of wondering if the shuttle would turn up on our return journey. The transfers were fab (just over an hour from Palma Airport to the resort)....it was a little tricky finding the driver when I came out of arrivals...I asked a number of local tour guides where I could find them. The directions on the instructions could be a little clearer.
Arrived at 12noon and was given map to the room. Located in the second building on the 2nd floor I was a little disapointed to find that the room was to the rear of the property and overlooking waste ground! The hotel was basically pretty empty and I asumed I would have been given a better room. I checked with reception and was informed that this was an extra at 10EURO per day! If I had been going for a full week, I would have paid the extra, but for 5 days I thought I could spend the money elsewhere! At this point I paid 30 Euro deposit for 3 towels and paid 5Euro deposit and 12Euro for the use of room safe.
We had no problems with sunbeds..as because of the time of year, there were ample beds, infact the pool areas were basically empty every day, all day. I noticed on 1st May a pool lifeguard appeared...I take it this is for the start of the summer season.
The layout of the hotel is very good. There are a number of blocks facing the pools - which consists of a small water park (for toddlers - 6years), a smaller plunge pool for little ones and then a bigger pool with wooden bridges over them, to give access to the other sides. The last pool is an Over 18 pool, with large whicker double beds and canopys over them...its very romantic looking. It was 14EURO per day per couple to use these. It consisted of cava, fresh fruit etc too....I did notice it was well used even at this time of year...but there seemed to be a few people under 18 in there too!
The pools are surrounded by beautiful landscaped gardens....lovely to look at,,but not too good after a heavy rainfall and then blazing sun....I was bitten to pieces by mosquitoes!!!! So please take ur mozzie spray with u....as I can imagine as it gets hotter it will get worse!
The poolside bar was very good. Service was good and the menu was varied. As mentioned beforehand I was self catering. Although I found the food pretty reasonable just under 5Euro for hot dog and fries, I found the drinks pretty pricey. Magnun icecreams too were over 3EUro each! I would suggest going half board at least, as all the drinks and ice creams added up at the end of my trip and I would have been cheaper paying for all inclusive at the time of booking. I did enquire at reception when I was there and was advised it was 75Euro a day for me and the two kids for breakfast and dinner....so I decided to stick with 'pay as you go'.
We ate dinner in the buffet restaurant each nite. For a water, 2 soft drinks and an adult and 2 kids buffet meals it came to 39EURO. The choice was pretty good. I mostly ate salad with a freshly carved meat each night, The kids mostly had pizza and chips. There was a good array of fresh fruit and ice cream for pudding too.
We spent most of the evenings in the bar, which was next to the buffet dining hall and adjacent to the stage. As it was out of season, all entertainment took place inside this bar area. Grease was on one night, whicg was fab, followed by a quiz night (we came 2nd - wahooo!) and a magicians show on the following nights. I could inmagine in the high season when the stage is shown it couls be really good.
Service was always with a smile, if a little slow...but again, it was very expensive. 2 milkshakes and a capachino (u must have one!) 12EURO! I saved it as an end of night treat for the kids!
We ventured out of the complex to the supermarket (there is one onsite, and its ok...but Eroski, has much more choice and is cheaper)....basically come out of the complex, turn left and cross onto other side of road. After about 3/4 streets, turn down and walk straight down, Eroski is on the left hand side near the roundabout. We bought fresh fruit and choc au pains for breakfasts and saved a fortune!

The hotel also has indoor heated pool, gym and spa. I didnt use any of them, but it looked ok.

The room was pretty big, Large open plan lounge/dining area,with patio doors to balcony - with a smaller galley kitchen tucked away. (microwave, hob.....no oven!!!!) You have to hire kettle/toaster....everything else is there. There is an archway which has a sink and then bathroom with fully tiled walk-in shower area, seperate bath with additonal overhead shower and toilet. Finally there is the double bedroom. (double wardrobe/patio doors with access onto large balcony.) Additonally as you enter your room there is a handy storage cupboad.

We only went into C'an pickafort a couple of times. Its a very tired looking resort, stuck in the 60's. The walkway along the beach isnt that nice either and it reminded me of blackpool! There were plenty of pubs/restaurants thou and alot of ur tacky shops etc....

This hotel is pretty decent. One thing I did note was I was one of the only british families there. Most were german/dutch/spanish...which althought was fab, as everything was done in all languages, I did miss speaking to people...as my german is very minimal!

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank samparschick
Reviewed 30 September 2008

Stayed at Viva Majorca Ca'n Picanfort for two weeks in August with my husband and two children age 9 and 4. We had a very enjoyable holiday and felt it was the best hotel we had stayed on a sun holiday.

The apartments were spotless and spacious. Bed linen was changed several times a week and the maid service was excellent. All soaps and showergels are provided and you can also rent your poolside towels from the hotel. There was a laundry area but did find that the washing machine/tumble dryer was very slow. We found the aparthotel supermarket very expensive but the staff very friendly. A short walk from hotel is eurospa which was very reasonable with a bottle for Fastino Rose/White for just over €3!

The room also has a tv but all programmes were in german - although my children happily watched all the german cartoons. It would also be nice if there were some English channels.

There were three large swimming pools , splash pool for the toddlers with several water feature slides that the children enjoyed and a very small baby pool. The pools and poolside were very clean and staff would actually clean down the splash area slides each evening. The hotel have a policy of no towels on sun loungers until 9am which we thought was excellent as no more running out to put a towel on your sun bed. We found you could still get a sun lounger and parasol at 10.30am.

There is an over 18 pool area with luxurious double sun sleigh beds and four poster sun beds. The area is meant to be for adults only but we did find that families were ignoring this and were using this area as if it was the same as the other pools. I did feel that the hotel should stick to the rules if they are going to put over 18's signs up in the pool area. They should insist that no children are playing in the area. I found it nice to go up to this pool area for a quiet hour or so while my husband was keeping an eye on our children at the other poolside.

Both my 9 year old and 4 year old enjoyed the Bufo Club and taking part in the other activities that the reps played with the children throughout the day. There were lots of different nationalities at the hotel which I found made a refreshing change. We met some lovely families around the poolside. The holiday reps were very good with the children. Adults could also take part in different sporting activities such as aqua aerobics with Peter ,which was excellent, and volleyball with Casper. We found the reps to be extremely polite and very good with involving the children to join in different activities.

Within the grounds is a playground area with 2 large inflatables, swings, trampoline, pool, table tennis which was excellent for the children.

The hotel also has an indoor pool area and gym for the die hards!

The evening entertainment was very enjoyable with kiddies disco and show followed by shows such as grease, mamma mia, chicago for the adults. We did find the waiter service a little slow at times while the evening entertainment was going on.

The restaurant facilities were excellent with a wide choice of food for breakfast and dinner. Also the poolside grill/bar was very good during the day with a very good choice and variety of food. In the afternoon you could buy waffles and cream at the Viva Cafe and play bingo which was fun, prizes ranged from supermarket vouchers to cocktails.

The only downfall with Viva Majorca was that our apartment was broken into. I did request a quiet area and it was so quiet no one seen or heard anything. The break in happened around 8 -9.30pm and the apartment next door to ours was also broken into. The staff did genuinely seem shocked by this and the manager said he had not encountered this in a very long time - I do think this can happen anywhere, its just bad luck. The Manager did act swiftly and arranged for us to move apartment straight away - lucky for us all our valuables, apart from camera, were in the safe. I would strongly recommend hiring the safe - I know this sounds like common sense but a lot of people don't hire the safe and even when they do forget to lock it. So be vigilant. Our apartment was broken into from the patio door which only really needed to be pushed hard to open. We did point out to the Manager that he needed to up his security and that the latches on the patio doors did not seem sufficient. The front apartment door is opened with a card with a micro chip but the patio doors (and there are two in each apartment) are opened and locked with a latch.

The actual resort of Ca'n Picanfort was not too impressive. We felt that the beach front was in an 80's time warp and needed to have money spent on it. Some of the restaurants were nice but on the whole they were not great. I think you would have to go further afield for better restaurants so we found it just as easy to use the hotel restaurant as there was an extensive choice, good service and reasonably priced.

One thing we did come across during our stay was that families were on their second and third stay at the hotel and we could see why people go back to the same place year after year.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank aobturn
Reviewed 21 September 2008

we went to the village for the first time this year we have been to majorca lots of times but never to this resort the hotel was very nice the food was very good. the rooms are lovely and big even though there was only two of us no children i can imagine that it is very packed in high season,having read the reports before going we were a bit worried about the sunbed situation however needant have worried we picked our spot every morning and there was plenty of beds available.all of the staff were very good and booking in very quick you have wrist bands to show all inclusive now the one issue we had was the drinks i am told that the beer was good however the spirits are only 30% and my man is diabetic so could not have them no problems really he just bought a bottle and took it every evening there is too much sugar in the hotels i can understand the reasons for this as you didnt see any of the parents drunk people said it was watered down but its not Dont bother taking shower gel or soap or shampoo as they supply this in the bathroom and washing area and they are family size there is a kettle toaster and everything you need in the room even a tea towel . in the resaraunt which i thought was a nice touch there are little cups,spoons dishes and plates knifes and forks in plastic for the little ones and a good selction of kids food.we did try one of the free visits to one of the resturants but liked the food better in the main one.there is a shop on site that will get you by but it is more expensive than the supermarkets in the town however if you dont want to carry heavy bottles of water its very handy i was told that baby jars of food were expensive on site if that helps anyone with babies.
the hotel is not in a very good position and its not a very pretty walk to the beach but dont let this put you off the hotel.
the evening entertainment is very good even the dreaded kids hour it was better than we have even seen in many hotels and this is down to the team of people who work so hard and are always happy and say hello it is very hard to single anyone of them hello Adam, Polly,vicky ranjit all of you are great and made our holiday but special thanks to you Shelly Ohara the head of entertainments for first choice,you are lovely you are so good at your job you told us more than we ever knew about what goes on behind the jobs of the entertainment teams and thank you for getting the diet coke in the site shop for the man it ment alot to us
there is bingo every evening and for once we won £200 never been known before! thats before we knew the reps by the way!
overall it was a good two weeks holiday would we go back? not to that resort becouse of location but would try another village tomorrow dont like air eurpa and we didnt get the normal questionairs at the end of the holiday we feel that the air line lets them down no problems with first choice. happy holidays enjoy we did met loads of nice people i am sure you will

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank NorfolkNadine
Reviewed 26 August 2008

We had a great two week fully inclusive holiday at the Holiday Village Viva, with our two children aged 2 and a half and nearly 5 years old.

As other people have mentioned, the rooms are very big and spacious for a family of 4, athough if you were self catering the cooking facilities were very basic (ie just two electric rings to cook on!) It was very clean - with maid service 5 times a week. In fact everything was very clean at the resort - everywhere you looked there was something being cleaned or bins being emptied.

The swimming pools were lovelyand big although very crowded (as we had expected) as we were there at the start of the school summer holidays. Our two children loved the kids splash pool with all the slides and jets of water - it kept them amused for hours! it is very well designed as part of it is under a bit of shade which you definitely need when it is so hot. There is also a childrens very shallow paddling pool which is quite small but is excellent for very young children and babies and it has a sun parasol over it to give a lot of shade..

Our youngest daughter had 9 morning sessions in the creche and loved it and our eldest went most mornings (and some afternoons) to the kids club. Both the creche and kids clubs are very well run, and the staff work very hard, and the kids club has a different theme for each session, so you can decide which session to take them to. Although it is done on a first come, first served basis, all the children we saw managed to get into the session they wanted.

The food was good, especially when you think they are catering for so many people. There is a snack bar by the pool which sells pizza, burgers, salads etc from 10 - 6 each day and the main restaurant had a lunch buffet which was excellent and the evening meals were good too, although some days the choice was better than others. They did pasta every day which was great as our eldest daughter decided to have spag bol every single day! They had a large choice of meat/fish dishes and good desserts too. You get one night each week at The Italian and Caribbean grill restaurants which were good (it was nice being waited on for a change) though there wasn't a lot of choice. One tip is if you are going out for the day you can order a packed lunch at reception by 8pm the day before - although the lunch isn't great it may save a bit of money having to buy food when you are out.

The evening entertainment was good, with children's village time from 8 - 9 which was the same most nights but they enjoyed it, followed by bingo, then an adult game show and the evening cabaret started at 10 but we didn't see much of that as we had to get the children to bed.

The only thing that was a bit annoying was having to get up early to reserve a sun bed - if you weren't by the pool by 8.30am each morning, you missed out!

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with family
#6 of 39 in Ca'n Picafort
Zafiro Palace Alcudia
Zafiro Palace Alcudia
#4 of 50 in Port d'Alcudia

Been to Zafiro Mallorca? Share your experiences!