“Hotel Galaxia like Faulty Towers the place you hate but enjoyed.” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Galaxia

Galaxia
Ranked #28 of 39 Hotels in Ca'n Picafort
Teesside, England
“Hotel Galaxia like Faulty Towers the place you hate but enjoyed.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 November 2012

Hotel Galaxia has a sign on the door saying its a 1 star hotel. Im undecided. Galaxia stands on a oneway traffic road so getting buses is easy but those same buses are noisy and the hotels single glazing doesnt keep the noise out.Its also very close to a beautiful beach. The staff are friendly but speak very little English, the manager speaks Spanish a little English, German and sign language, we liked the staff.The room had twin beds with 1 sheet and blanket each, no aircon or heating and it got cold on the night.No tea or coffee, no TV or radio, no clock, NO BATHROOM, no joke, a sliding door hid a hole in the wall 2ft wide by 7 ft long which had a shower, handbasin and toilet shoehorned in,squeeze passed the basin to get to either of the other facilities, dont bend over to wash your face or your bum hits the door, dont put your hands up in the shower to wash your hair, your elbows hit the walls. The FOOD is good and all you can eat and the prices are the cheapest we could find so we ate in every night.No entertainment just a TV (german channels) and a pool table. Free Wifi in the bar and a lounge area or pay to use PC in a small room of its own. We didnt use the outdoor pool.The Galaxia is ok if you want cheap with friendly staff (the manager even got up at 6am to make us coffee and packed lunch without being asked when we left ) and dont mind the constant noise and poor facilities but i think to prevent a divorce I will pay more for our next hotel.

Room Tip: all the rooms face towards the road and the beach with a patio area overlooking the road, but if you...
1 Thank teessider123

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Barwell, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 November 2012

Hotel Galaxia - we stayed here between 14th - 23rd October, arranged for my hubby and I by Travel Republic for £136 each bed a breakfast, flights and transfers, it was absolutely spot on and had not one gripe - very unusual for me!
This Budget Hotel ticked all of our boxes - the location was fantastic, breakfast was basic, but immaculately presented and lots of choice from hot to a lovely cold spread with fruit. The beer was E1.80 a pint, cheapest by far anywhere. Not a lot of English spoken but hey ho we are in Spain! Most nights we also ate there for E5.50 eat as much as you want with maybe 3 choices and lots of salads and cold spread, we did venture out for a chinese on the 7th night it was awful cost E30.00 so we crept back to the Hotel for the rest of the holiday.
No tea and coffee making facilities (my travel kettle and me are never parted!) no hairdryers - what!! bathroom a bit on the small size for my ample hips - but immaculately clean and the dearest of girls who cleaned, she made sure we always had clean sheets and towels.
Also Pedro and Jaime who always had the biggest smiles and couldn't do enough to help us in enjoying our holiday..............Thank you
The two people from Bolton who left a Review - I can't recognise their description of theHotel Galaxia - I think they must have been mistaken in most of their comments.
If you would like any further info....please EM me at DaisyDaydreem@aol.com.

Room Tip: I mailed Jaime and requested a sea view with a 'please' and 'thank you' it worked as...
4 Thank DaisyDaydreem
Walsall, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 October 2012

For a 1 star hotel, this place is brilliant. The service was great, staff very friendly, pool cleaned every other day, rooms cleaned daily, and very thourouly. Clean towels and sheets daily if you left them on the floor or didn't make your bed.
Food as always a bit repetitive, but plenty of it and always hot. Waiter service for drinks during dinner (which were very completitively priced, 3.5 euros for a pint of lager and a glass of wine) You could choose to eat in the restaurant, bar or outside, they didn't mind as long as you returned your plates and cutlery to the restaurant.
We had a room at the back of the hotel, as its basically tiny bathrooms at the front of hotel or full size bathroom (bath, shower, sink, toilet) at the rear (room 411)
We were well away from the lift amd stairs, so were not disturbed at night. We had a lovely view of the pool on the odd occasion that were in our room.
The pool area was cleaned every other morning while we there. Very sheltered, a proper sun trap. The pool was 2.9m at deep end 1.2m at shallow end. So great if you can swim, but not really suitable for children if they can't. There was a storage area by the pool (looked like it used to be a bar, or maybe its only open in the summer) but its full of, lilo's, boats etc, that they encourage you to use. (it was 10 euros a day on the beach for 2 beds and an umbrella). They even hire umbrellas for use on the beach from reception for 1 euro a day.
I think the only reason this hotel is not 3 star is no television in rooms. Not a problem for us as we were hardly in there.
Even from the main building its only about 30metres to the beach, the promenade is flat and well looked after and stretches for miles in both directions.
Would definitely go back.
The whole area (east side of majorca) is about 70% German, 20% Spanish, 10% English. But we don't go abroad to find other brits so not a problem, and lead to some bizzare conversations lol.

Room Tip: rooms 04 01 what ever floor are right by the lift, which was rather noisy, so i would avoid these. T...
Bucks
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 October 2012

My boyfriend and I (mature couple) have just returned from a brilliant bargain week at the Galaxia. Having read the reviews, we had open minds about what to expect and we DID laugh when we got allocated one of the three rooms with viewless balconies! (I checked on the web site before going and the htel was full so we didn't ask about moving.) However, it just encouraged us to spend more time in the very pleasant bar area or by the pool, which can't be bad!

Everywhere, the hotel was kept immaculately clean. (Very impressed with pool.) Our beds were comfy and the shower was excellent. The room was very plain but there was interesting quirky decor elsewhere - right up our street. The other good thing about having the no-view balcony was that our bathroom was huge :)

In the bar, the staff were brilliant and nothing seemed too much trouble. They even popped by to ask if we'd like a drink when we were sitting in the bar - a first (for me) at 'all inclusive' and very welcome. The local drinks were very good indeed and the pop (fanta) etc was all big brands. One night they ran out of the local version of Bailey's so we were served the 'real'stuff. Needless to say, I didn't have the nerve to ask for it again that evening. Oh, and the servings of spirits are HUGE, even by Spanish standards. The staff were highly amused when I kept asking for 'small' drinks (probably best part of a UK double) but they got to know what we liked.

The food was fairly limited, as you would expect at a small, cheap all-inclusive hotel. However, it was nice and not too salty (which I often find to be a problem in Spain) and there was always plenty. When things ran out, I asked if there was any more and further supplies materialsed with no fuss whatsoever. The only thing I could see that might actually be a problem would be if you are vegetarian as there was usually meat and fish at each meal but not a vege option. One day, there were eggs at lunch, and there was always cheese in the evening but going by the attitude of the staff I would imagine if you asked nicely they would rustle something up.

The other thing we realy enjoyed was that the staff didn't mind where you took your food so most of the time we sat outside and watched the world go by as we ate - simply lovely.

There were lots of Germans in the hotel and Can Picafort generally. We found them very charming and friendly and made new friends, which was very cool. And of course, Germany hasn't been hit as badly as the UK by the recession so there were stil plenty of German euros around, which meant the town was nicely bustling with very few closeddown bars and shops.

Can Picafort is lovely! Fairly compact but lots going on. There's plenty of free entertainment available - check out the bar on the prom with the tribute acts (I swear the Four Tops tribute could win X Factor) and the bar on the main drag where they spin vinyl every night. The beach is beautiful, with fab scenery and lovely soft sand and the sea is so clear. You also need to walk along to the natural park - such a tranquil setting.

We paid a little extra for our transfers, opting for the one where you are guaranteed no more than four stops on the way. This was well worth it as we had a taxi to ourselves on arrival and it was barely an hour from landing to being out in the sun.

Ummm...just trying to keep it real and think of some negatives...you might want your earplugs as the snorer in the next room was pretty loud, and if you have small children, I couldn't see that there was anything in the way of kiddies' swings etc nearby and the pool didn't have a kiddies' area.

We loved it and it's only our urge to explore that means we're not rebooking (yet).

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank MumBucks
Cardiff
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 September 2012

Arrived very late and receptionist couldn't speak English but managed to at least show us where restuarant was and gave us room key. We were given room a back of hotel which had a view of other peoples rooms and not much else. I'd read on here that plenty of people had changed rooms no problem so decided we'd ask in the morning and were told we could move to room at front of hotel on the second day. The rooms at the back are bigger and have slightly bigger bathrooms than the 'wardrobe' in the other rooms but for me, I'd rather have the tiny bathroom than facing several balaconies who can all hear your conversations.The hotel, as most in Ca'n Picafort is on a main road so whatever room you have, it's very noisey until around 11pm and then the odd drunks going home after that.

There was only one other English speaking couple that we knew of during our week there with everyone else being German. The hotel does seem much more catered for German guests and all staff seem to speak much better German than English with only 2 of the staff having decent English. It seemed like Ca'n Picafort was mostly German's so this wasn't out of the ordinary.

We stayed all inclusive and I was a bit disappointed with information given. Basically, unless we asked one of the two English speaking staff we had no idea when all inclusive drinks were served from and until and what was / wasn't included. Still not 100% now, but I think it was 11am-11pm and basically local beers / spirits and of course soft drinks.

My wife and I found the food OK. They don't do a full English at breakfast, but we usually had the eggs and toast and cereal. Lunch / dinner varied most days (apart from chips being a constant). Nothing special, but better than some 3 star all inclusives I've stayed in. They were also happy for guests to take their food to the bar or to the tables outside the hotel. Deserts were disappointing though / pretty non existent. We only ate out twice just to have a change.

Most staff were polite enough and served drinks to tables at meal times and in the bar so you pretty much didn't need to move.

Happy with pool area, plenty of sunbeds, and although we never actually witnessed it being cleaned, the pool seemed clean to us. As others said, it's quite deep even at the shallow end so not ideal for non-swimmers and young children. Hotel were also happy for us to take a couple of the many lilos that they had to take to the beach to save paying for loungers down there.

I'm sure there are much better all-inclusive hotels in Ca'n Picafort and maybe their high rating on here is more to do with it being above peoples expectation of a one star hotel more than anything. I'm guilty of that as I've given 4 stars. I probably wouldn't reccomend for families with young children, but if you don't intend spending much time in the room and want cheap accomodation / all-inclusive then I'd reccomend.

Room Tip: If your given one out the back or next to lift then just ask to swap and they are happy to accomodat...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Bolton, England, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 September 2012

Just home from the worst hotel stay in twenty five years Family of four . This hotel does not give you what you book . Four beds in room made for two (can't swing a cat ) No English food on the menu at all paid full board had to eat out every day for two weeks cost extra £1000 for four.I am a father of working class i' dont expect the earth for my money but expect value . The hotel pool was never cleaned in the two weeks of the stay.the hotel staff not bothered by any thing .This hotel is very noisy at night with people coming and going banging doors .pool no good for young children eight foot deep down to a four foot shallow end .This place is more like a hostel than a hotel they do not cater for the English MY ADVISE spend a little more on a holliday TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT ..Can picafort is a very nice place choose a better hotel please.

Room Tip: You can not choose a room you get what they give you if no rooms left they put you above the doctor...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Julie B

Travellers are raving about these Ca'n Picafort hotels

Bolton, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 September 2012

i arrive at this dump 2 weeks ago and what an i say been the worst 2 weeks of my life the rooms are tiny i took 4 adults into a so called family room it was a box room with 2 single beds and a set of bunk beds the bathroom is that tiny u cant even get changed in it if u bend down in shower u hit your head on the sink u could be on the toilet and brush your teeth at the same time (not that i did )now lets get to the food i wouldnt feed it to my dog
they only cater for germans there is no english food except for a bit of lettuce thats been there all day or fries i payed all inclusive for this holiday and had to re pay for my meals else where a party of 8 went to this hovel and we was the only 8 enlish there there is a tiny pool n the first floor what that is all about i do not know it is 5 foot deep in shallow end so if u bring small children its no good or them i knew when i was bookin this hotel i wasnt gonna get the ritz but i didnt expect a hovel that it was i came to this hotel cause it had 4 stars on trip adviser these people must have been german or the hotel have written them there selves PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE STAY AWAY FROM THIS HOTEL IF U ARE ENGLISH ITS NOT FOR US !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: no good rooms
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
#9 of 13 in S'illot
Hotel JS Ca'n Picafort
Hotel JS Ca'n Picafort
#26 of 39 in Ca'n Picafort

Been to Galaxia? Share your experiences!