“bahia azul apts”

Protur Floriana Resort
Ranked #11 of 19 Hotels in Cala Bona
Reviewed 5 July 2013

just back from the bahia azul had a great time just relaxing by the pool.Augustin is a credit to the place always helpful and happy,because this is a small complex it is very laid back and quiet with a good mix of young and mature people all of which were english.This complex is across the road from floriana were the germans stay,only a short walk to the promenade and the many bars. me and my hubby had a good holiday and we hope to be back to cala bona again as we like the resort a lot.the only fault with our studio was that there was a large terrace with it which needed a good jet hosing as the tiles were dirty.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank kathleen b

Reviewed 3 July 2013 via mobile

My partner and I stayed in a lovely one bed apt on all inclusive basis in June 13, we were in block I Overlooking the pool room 2468 on fourth floor and had amazing views and it wasnt noisy, air con was great kitchen functional (we didnt use it much) no electric kettle . I quite enjoyed the food lots of fish fresh and varied the husband love the beer (estrella dam) location is very close to Centre and a visit to.arta by bus on a Tuesday market day about 5 euro on public bus ... We had a good.time and we love protur group.

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed 19 June 2013

I read all the reviews before I travelled to this place. I agree with the majority on the need for better catering to British tourists who stay there. We experienced a lot of Germans, Dutch staying there during our stay.

We were surprising my sister and her daughter who were staying there for two weeks, and they had a great time. They arrived on the Tuesday, we arrived on the saturday after. They arrived quite late in the evening, and when they were told they were to stay in Block G, my sister said that since they were two women together (her daughter is 20) and very quiet people, they did not want to be away from the main block, and as they did not know the complex nor the area was unsure of walking in the night to the block. The receptionist advised that was not a problem and they could stay in the apartments above the reception area to which my sister accepted. Apart from the people checking in and out of reception, she did not hear anything and it was just as well kept apartments as we had. However when she saw us on the saturday and saw that we were in Block G in the daylight she said she would have easily stayed here, and it was a very quiet resort at that time, The receptionist did offer to move us or move my sister so we could be together but we said it was fine the way it was and we would go to each others apartment when meeting up or for a chat. We didnt spend that much time in the apartment anyway, as there was so much to offer outwith the complex in the town.

However, I must stress that the apartment we were given, in Block G, which had its own pool was fantastic. The pool was empty most of the day, until around 3pm when the guests came back from the beach or trips etc, however, as the week got on, there were more people coming to our pool during the day from the other pools at the other side of the road (still the same complex). Guess people heard about our quiet pool and decided to come over, but on saying that the kids were very young say under 7, so apart from the screaming in the pool playing, were very quiet at night and only heard them around 9am in the morning, coming down the block stairwells, around 10.30 it was very quiet, so peaceful until as above around 3pm.

However this was in 1st June 2013 , so not sure what it would be like in high season.

The cleaners came in every day (they had day off in week, certain days), but there was 2 that came into our apartment, and cleaned it thoroughly every day they were there, they gave fresh bedding and towels, and fresh kitchen dishtowel too. They swept and mopped all the apartment again each time they came in. There was a lovely lemon smell they used to clean the bathroom areas it was so fresh. The stairwells and public areas were exceptionally clean, as was the reception area across the road. (this complex was set in a huge area, and had a lot of blocks as well as the main dining room and reception areas). You have to pay a deposit for the safe, but you get it back. You also if you wanted it, to pay for the remote control for the tv, but there was only 2 english channels so not really worth it. The entry door Card, is also the electricity card, so when you go into the apartment you put the card in the holder and the electricity comes on, and when you leave the apartment and take your card out, the electricity goes out, (obviously except the fire and smoke alarms as also with fridge).

The cooker is electric hob, two rings, and a microwave, but there is no grill, or toaster in our apartment, adequate utensils, and a nice dining room in your sitting room and some chairs and table in your large balcony.

The pool areas were cleaned regularly, as was the area around the pool. The lifeguard appeared regularly, as he had other pools to manage too, but he was strict when at our pool children were in the deep end, when the signs said they must not be in there, which was good, but some children went in the deep end, with their parents watching, but after the lifeguard advised them the children were out, but some still went in again when the lifeguard was not there, (these were mostly german nationals, but there were a few british doing it too).

On reading the reviews on here that the food was mostly catered for the Germans or Dutch, did look very dry and mostly frankfurters, rices, cheeses, etc, but the people ate it. The people staying at our Block and using the pool, were going across the road to get the food and taking it back, and it did not look that appetising on the plate and probably cold by the time they walked to get it and eat it.

We went self catering, but only ate breakfast in the apartment, as we found some lovely places to eat in the town, (I have done a few reviews on those places). Yates (great food, good atmosphere and quiz master is such fun). Smithys on the marina is exceptionally great, their food so fresh and choices outstanding. Stanleys was a tea room that served tea, in teapots with tea-cosy's on, their cakes and fresh sandwiches were to die for. Wish I could take it home with me, as even typing this out makes my mouth water at the thought. All of these were a few minutes walk from the complex, in Cala Bona.

Cala Millor which was about 10-15 minutes walk, was where the designer shops were, and they also had a market on set days, but the shops sold roughly about the same, but shop around, as we found some beach towels at just under 10 euros, yet two shops up they were between 15-20 euros. and they were the same ones, no different on size or quality!

Spar the main supermarket there, again there are a lot of them so shop around as they had a mixture in prices. But their bananas, bacon, bread rolls were exceptionally great, really fresh and tasty. Watch the water, as small bottles and even 2 ltr bottles looked cheap but at the checkout (usually on the floor near there) was the 5 litre bottles that were much cheaper.

The entertainment and day time activities were aimed at germans, however there were a few things that you could go, if you understood what they were, as most of the programs were in set languages. Hence why we did not go there.
The disappointing thing when we were there, was a large sandpit that some children and babies were playing in, but when it came to the time for volleyball (which was played by the germans), the volleyball net was across the sandpit, and the germans playing just didnt care that there were babies in their, they asked the families to leave so they could play their game, and even played whilst the parents were gathering their stuff, which was very bad mannered, and ignorant if you ask me, it was a shame as the children were playing quietly building sandcastles, and then to have these germans take over, without any consideration, was really bad, and the shouting from the parents in German or Dutch, made it frustrating, as they were fighting a loosing battle.. but when the volleyball game finished the players just left, and the kids could go back to play again in the sand. I would have thought they would have their volleyball area by the tennis courts, only saw a few people in the tennis courts and there were quite a lot of courts. Again may be busy in high season.

I would definitely stay here again, but stick to late may early june, before the high season, as this time we went it was nice and relaxing, the weather was hot but not humid, and nice and cool in the evenings, that a cardigan or light sweater would benefit.

I would also recommend the apartments as they were exceptionally clean, well stocked and well maintained. The gardens within the complex, and the stairwells and public areas were well maintained, the painters were usually out touching up the paintwork where there have been some scuffs or damage.

Apart from the complex catering mostly for Germans and Dutch, I would still go, but bear this in mind, and we are looking at going there again next year just for a nice chilled out break, at the same time. My sister is also looking at going there too, but taking her son and husband with her this time, (they were at the TT races in Isle Of Man, hence why my sister and her daughter went away together).

Hope this helps anyone wishing to stay there, but take each point I have raised as at time of year as it may change during high peak season, and I cannot comment on that, but hopefully it will be just as great a time we had as you have.
x

Room Tip: we had pool view on G Block, our room was 2154 and it was great, first floor, (there is a lift), and...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
8  Thank Carol R
Reviewed 13 June 2013

I have just stayed a week in the hotel, I would recommend it to anyone who speaks German if you do you will feel at home. There were no other British people there...The hotel room was amazing it had a huge balcony with a beautiful view of the pool which is very deep and not for non swimmers. The food was excellent and the waiters were fantastic. The entertainment was all in German which was very disappointing. To sum this up I would not go again the beach is a ten minute walk where some shops are, Cala Millor is not far and has lovely shops/restaurants/beach. All staff friendly although they did speak to you in german.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank lamr71
Reviewed 29 May 2013

We went to this resort August 2012 and I definitely reccomend this hotel!

Brilliant value for money, our block was a good ten minute walk from the reception however they golf buggy you down to your room- so you can pick up your bearings!

Our room was great, we were right next to a fire escape that was in use quite often so had to keep the bedroom curtains shut but wasn't noisy at all!

We were self catering so didn't experience the food.

Do not disturb signs needed for rooms! We had very early flight and maids woke us up walking into our room!!

Overall brilliant holiday cala bona is great with many things to do! Would definitely return!!!

• Stayed: August 2012
Reviewed 27 March 2013

Me and my friend stayed here in May of 2011 for two weeks, considering it wasn't the height of the holiday season there was a lot to do on site! There was constant activities from rifle shooting to volleyball during the day and fantastic entertainment every single night which never see,ed to be repeated.

The apartments that we stayed in were very well kept, clean and neat. Although we never saw a cleaner because we were out all the time , it was obvious that they had been in at least every other day as we always has clean towels and freshly made beds.

The swimming pools are fantastic, exactly what we wanted. The indoor swimming pool was,overly and warm and very quiet. At one point there was a huge spider (and I mean HUGE) on the bottom of the pool, we told somebody in reception and they sorted it straight away.

I couldn't fault the food if I wanted to!

The staff made our holiday so good, they all had a great knowledge of what to do in the area and sent us out on a great night in the towns clubs.

Brilliant value for money.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
6  Thank Laura D
Reviewed 26 February 2013 via mobile

Stayed for 2 weeks with my 15yr old, 2yr old. apartment was brilliant, really big, massive balcony. we were on top floor nearer quiet pool, fab. food really hitty missy, menu never corresponded with what food there was, food really aimed at germans. v messy eating area, waiters took no notice of us just germans! But entertainment good, drinks good and in a fab location but lits of dog dirt around

• Stayed: August 2012
1  Thank jaynet18
Proturhotels, Director of Sales at Protur Floriana Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 5 March 2013

Thank you for your comments. We are sorry that you felt the food was not to your liking although we feel we have a very varied buffet that is geared to offer a wide choice for guests. We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and thank you for your positive response in other areas.