“Our 2nd visit here”

Protur Floriana Resort
Ranked #11 of 19 Hotels in Cala Bona
Reviewed 18 August 2014

We have just come back from 2 weeks self-catering here, we stayed for a week last year and chose to come back. I can understand how some people have put reviews that they were disappointed, as it is a very German-orientated place, however this did not spoil it for us. My daughter is 18 and so did not need the entertainment on offer. We didn't use the hotel restaurant at all, as it was so easy to eat out locally, as we found out last year. Lots of choice of English, Indian, Italian, Spanish restaurants.

There were a couple of drawbacks for me, but nothing to spoil the holiday. Even though the apartment was self-catering we had to buy our own dishcloths and washing up liquid, there was not even a bottle of water in the apartment despite the fact that the Thompson flight and transfer got us there at approx 6am so we were too tired to shop...if any would have been open...but we knew from last year to buy water and a snack from Manchester airport on our way out. The apartment block next door had 2 cockerels which wasn't brilliant if you are a light sleeper!

We were in G block this year, which was across a small road from the main complex, and it had its own small pool, which was not busy - 20 people at its most full - so we found this great. We could always get a sun bed, although last year this wasn't the case in the larger pool in the main complex, and there were other English families here.

The Thompson rep was much better than last year's, and we got some very good advice from her. The reception staff were very helpful and had good English

Room Tip: If we go back next year for a 3rd visit, I'll ask for G block again. It's slightly apart fro...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank Wendy C

Reviewed 17 August 2014

The problem with the Floriana is that it caters for people who are either all inclusive or full board. It is not for anyone who is self catering. To buy food there you need to pay 18 euros for the privilege and they have no snack bar available to buy meals from. The nearest shop is 10 minutes walk away. The facilities are good and the staff are lovely. The majority of the people there are German and you know it. You are not supposed to book sunbeds before 9am but they had all gone by 8am which is ridiculous. We heard that Thomsons are not using this hotel next year and it isn't surprising. I would not recommend this place at all if you are self catering and want a sunbed-GIVE UP and go somewhere else!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank gbrack
Proturhotels, Director of Sales at Protur Floriana Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 16 September 2014

We thank you for your comments. We will look into the points you raise and hope to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed 15 August 2014

I booked this holiday over a year ago for me and my daughter. After booking with Thompson the first one we booked as a group the details of the other party was giving out by them to a third party, which made has had to change our holiday and incur charges for this. We looked at this hotel and thought it looked nice. Once had changed I was bit shocked for 1 adult and 1 9 year old I was charged 2800 pounds, when the other part of the group was charged 3800 for 3adults and 1 child. Much to my disappointment I paid it as I had al ready paid to much to cancel it. We got here a week ago. The room was nice we got here early hours so went to sleep. We got up in the morning when for breakfast which was ok enough to eat. In the week we have been here the food has been ok, very much the same most of the time and what they put out for lunch and dinner nothing really goes together. The biggest issue with this hotel is that 95%of the guest our German. We have a 9, 11 and 13 year old in our group. They have nothing to do as99% of the entertainment is in German, day time and evening. The German people are very rude pushing you while cuing things like that. I am very very upset with the amount of money I have paid for this holiday to bring my daughter on her first trip abroad as a single parent. Thompson never told me when I booked this that it is mostly German people here or I or we as a group would have booked somewhere else. The tv in the room says satellite tv there are mostly only 2 English channels which are both kids and now and then one goes to BBC Scotland. I WOULD NOT recommend this hotel to any English family. We have another week left here and having to spend money when we should as we are all inclusive to take the kids out every day for stuff to day. Protur floriana resort is not a place I would ever come again or recommend to anybody I know. This has been one VERY big let down for how much I have paid and for my daughters first trip abroad. I would even bet that when I get back Thompson won't care as they have had there money out of me. The date is the 15th of August 2014 and another week to stuffer yet.
Yours faithfully
Stephen Jacobs

• Stayed: August 2014
6  Thank Stevejacobs82

Thank you for contacting us. We are sorry that you were disappointed with your stay but can assure you that while the majority of our guests at the Protur Floriana Resort are German, all of our entertainment teams speak at least three languages and all entertainment is conducted in at least English & German.

Reviewed 13 August 2014

This was our first time staying in the Floriana. We were very pleased with everything. Staff, servivce, facilities etc were great. I would highly recommend it to families with small children as they are well entertained by the staff and the children were so happy, it really is worth a visit.
Entertainment at night is enjoyable for both adults and children. We would definetly go back. My only critisism is the buffet is more or less the same everyday. That could do with a bit of an improvement.

Room Tip: I think if you tell the staff in advance of your arrival what your needs are they will do everything...
Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank vreidy
Reviewed 3 August 2014

We stayed in Floriana resort on self catering basis End July 2014. Booked with Thomson holidays, flights from Cardiff.
Communication via email with hotel was good, request for pool view room was honoured. Stayed in room 2166 lovely view of pool from a very large balcony.
Escorted to our room by porter in a golf buggy following a quick check in procedure. Typical Spanish self catering facilities which are adequate for a week. Apartment clean and maids very efficient and friendly especially English speaking maid whose husband is from Swansea(didn't
ask her name).
Pool near our apartment was clean and lots of sun beds but umbrellas limited. Usual rush to put towels on beds in morning, requests by management to avoid reserving until after 9oclock ignored by most.
Main pool busier but lots of shade under trees with lots of beds available, this pool had brown staining at top of tiles just under rim of pool did not appear as clean as the other pool.
Stayed on self catering basis but given a few free drinks by waiters which was a nice touch, some self catering guests took advantage of this and helped themselves to food and drinks.
Had breakfast and evening meal one day which was very nice with plenty of selection.
Only downside is no shop or snack bar for self cater,s need to walk 10 mins to shop. Did find a snack bar in Bahia Azul opposite on last day would have been useful if made aware of this on check in. Snacks excellent quality and value.
Entertainment programme ok. Reception staff very helpful, hired a car from reception which was reasonably priced and simple to hire as delivered to hotel.

Room Tip: 2166 nice room with pool view. Quiet at night near Resturant.
3  Thank Dayfamily5
Reviewed 30 July 2014

We flew from Norwich which in itself was a delight.... Living only 25mins from airport...Having never been to Mallorca before and wanting to fly from Norwich it was a last minute decision and I was guided by Tompson.....I asked for a quite resort...... Sadly the Floriana and the resort itself was not a quiet one....... Cala Bona is far too English for our liking, when we go abroad we like to find places that are typically of the nature of the country we are visiting...... Not one for English bars selling English breakfast!!!!! The resort itself we chose self catering as we wanted to expore and have different meals out......The appartment itself was ok...... but our biggest disappointment was the resort itself...... The grounds need to be kept generally cleaner....you see grounds men watering plants etc but the overalll grounds need more attention..... For example Things were spilt on the paths, stains that were only washed due to rain, but area's that approach the rooms which are undercover never got cleaned during our whole stay!!!!! Yuk!!! Paths should be swept!!! We saw a tissue deposited in a palm tree, it stayed there for the duration of our holiday, it could still be there!!! The entertainment was poor....I know Tompson is a German owned company, and clearly a lot of Germans favour the resort....therefore quite rightly the entertainment was geared for their pleasure, but it have to come and sit on a balcony after returning from our evening meal to have to listen to the repetative musis and entertainment....During the day as well.....They must change the CD occasionallY!!!!!!

2  Thank Karen T
Reviewed 24 July 2014

We stayed at the Floriana on 4 July for 1 week, self catering. Rooms are comfortable and clean, but if you do happen to get a dodgy room, speak up!! The staff are very helpful.

Our first room location wasn't very nice at all, it was on the 4th floor away from the 'main site'. Plus, there were cockerels making noise 24/7. It didn't feel like a holiday at all but after speaking to reception they moved us to room a room on the 2nd floor in Block J which overlooked one of the main pools. Everyone was a lot happier and our finally holiday began!

As we were self catering we only used the kitchen for breakfast but I felt a bit lost without the use of a toaster or grill. We ate out every night as all the restaurants served fantatic food. There are lots of restaurants to choose from and I don't think you can go wrong.

As mentioned by others, the other guests were prominently German. This didn't cause a problem for with us as our children 8 and 15 just got on with it and enjoyed playing in the pool anyway but this could cause a problem if you are taking a lone child and depending on them meeting a playmate.

Overall we had a lovely relaxing break and it was well worth the price under £700.

Room Tip: Block J was good for us!
1  Thank Sonic W