“Nice but not great”

and 1 more site!
Hotel Levante
Ranked #9 of 19 Hotels in Cala Bona
Reviewed 6 August 2014

Visited Hotel Levante from 22 July to 5 August 2014. I really enjoyed my time at Cala Bona and Hotel Levante. The hotel staff are extremely polite and helpful. At dinner times after a few days they knew what drink I wanted and it was on my table once I got there!

The Thomson staff and Holiday reps were also very nice indeed. They do a good job.

The room - it was for one person so take that into perspective when reading - was very nice and spacy. The bed was comfortable and balcony very nice. The maids were very good. The bathroom is a big size bathroom however the bathtub is quite small and very difficult to move yourself in that in using the shower head.

It is 2 euros per day for the safe and well worth it. It is an electronic safe using your key card rather than the old fashioned safe with a metal key. The fridge was a very good size. I could fit two 2 litre bottles of water and a 1 litre bottle of fanta lemon in that fridge which gives you an idea of the size.

The size of the television is good however the reception is really bad thus the pictures - especially for the british channels have lots of pixels and hard to watch. The Spanish channels are much more clear though. But surely a 4 star hotel should be able to get clearer pictures in this day and age?

The hotel reception staff are very welcoming and always answers your questions if you have any.

Now the sun bed issue - I stayed 2 weeks. The only day I had the opportunity to get a sun bed after 10am was when it was overcast one day! I usually woke up around 9am and by then all sun beds were gone. So do not stay at this hotel if you want to use the sunbeds at the pool side. Also because they have 3 hotels - Levante, Levante Park and Gran Sol you have 3 lots of guests using 2 pools and sunbeds. So as I am not sad enough to get up at 5am for a sun bed I alternated between using the beach and the 3rd floor roof tops sun beds which were much attainable at around mid morning to midday.

The man made beach wasn't great either. Although the sun beds were much more attainable and suitable times of the day - i.e. after breakfast around 10am to midday there was sunbeds available. 4.20 euros each for the sun bed and usage of the umbrella. Not bad and well worth and for me.

The food at Hotel Levante was not great either. Not bad but certainly not great. The size of the meats that are show cooked each night is quite tiny and you only have a maximum of two.

The buffet didn't have the greatest range of foods. Food was rather bland and not much taste - aptly suited to 70 plus age people. I prefer a bit more spice in my food.

However I must say on the other hand their desserts were magnificent. Lots of cake, flan, fruit and ice cream. Lots of choice and all good.

Breakfast was your usual and cooked for the masses so after a few days I didn't bother. I just went to the supermarket across the road and bought a packets of croissants for only 1 euro!

The day time activities were good but could get quite mundane and in that sense I often felt sorry for the reps who had to do this each day.

The transfer to and from the airport to the hotel was very well done and on time too. Only took just over an hour.

The snack bar is good and lots of choice pizza, baguettes etc.

I never stayed in for the entertainment at night so I cannot comment on that. The price of drinks is very reasonable also.

However I would not stay at Levante again for these key reasons:-

1 - Sunbed at the poolside issue. If they can't be bothered to sort it out why should I pay them again to stay.

2. The beach. It isn't a sandy beach and lots of grit plus the sea has lots of rocks. So I prefer a sandy beach.

3. The range of food and the actual food (except the desserts) are not 4 star quality. TBH I found the kebab shop nearby to have better quality meat!

4. Bathtub is tiny in a rather big bathroom!

But I can't fault the staff and the location is excellent and views are excellent as well.

So for me Hotel Levante is nice but not great.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the pool and beach are superb for great views at morning and night.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
4  Thank Papa_ed10

Reviewed 5 August 2014

Stayed at this fab hotel for the third time. Chose to stay for two weeks this time. Lovely break as usual. All the staff are friendly and extremely efficient. As always very clean and lovely food and super entertainment. Lovely sea view which I enjoyed waking up to each morning, definitely worth booking one. Super location. Still the same problem with the sun beds around the pool, I never got one, I chose to go to the solarium where I always got a sun bed. I will definitely be back.

Room Tip: Choose a sea view but not necessary to pay for a premium room in my opinion. High floor is best.
1  Thank stokies2
Reviewed 5 August 2014

We have just returned home after staying at the levante hotel between the 24/7 /14 - 4/8/14.
Well the best thing about this hotel was the staff and entertainment in my opinion they were exceptional in making our stay a good one.
The food in the restaurant was delightful and one of the best selections I have come acrossed whilst staying at thomson gold hotels.
My biggest gripe is along with other people during our stay is once again being the situation with sunbeds.
In my forty years travelling abroad, and the last ten staying at thomson gold I have never
witnessed a situation where people were going down with towels at 0400 and guarding up to 12 beds at a time . Why on earth do thomson and hotel managent allow this to continue ?
After speaking to other guests who return year after year it appears there will always be a problem.
After all the years where we had problems with the Germans saving beds,it now appears the Brits are far worse.
We heard that the levante hotel is a 4* care home for OAP,S , well in fareness they do expect to get preference from hotel staff, and thomson reps.
To sum things up this is a great hotel but if you want new guests to return in the future, thomson and their staff need to get to grips with the situation of sunbeds, and try and keep all guests happy, not just the guests who return year after year expecting preference over all other guests.
PS why not put notices out no sunbeds to be occupied before 0800 if people decide otherwise the towels should be removed like all other thomson gold hotels we have stayed at.

3  Thank Vivian S
Reviewed 4 August 2014

We are just back from a great holiday in the Hotel Levante. Having read the previous reviews we knew the situation regarding the sunbeds being reserved very early. That did not bother us as we like being on the beach and getting around the resort but we did see several clients complaining.
For us everything else was excellent. The Thomson holiday advisers and entertainment staff were first class, as were the brilliant hotel staff. The food was really plentiful and tasty, and the restaurant staff were very pleasant and efficient.
We spoke to several people who came back year after year to this hotel and I think we will join them!!

Room Tip: Rooms with a pool view are away from the noise of the evening entertainment but there is some noise...
2  Thank jm001m3011
Reviewed 4 August 2014

Stayed here with my wife, son aged 20 & nephew 19 in July, 2014. Had a fabulous holiday from start to finish. Staff from both the hotel & Thomson were wonderful. The hotel food was simply amazing. Entertainment was brilliant - couldn't fault a thing.

Room Tip: sea view is a must - wonderful to sit on the balcony at night. There are rooms which face the stage...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank LDP285
Reviewed 3 August 2014 via mobile

Just come back from a 11 night stay in hotel levante.
Will start with the pro's, the hotel , we stayed in room 503 looking over the courtyard looking down on the centre stage . Good sea views over the harbour and sun terrace.
The room itself was very adequate fitted 3 beds , enough wardrobe space probably needed a few more hangers. Flat screen TV no kettle, fridge (but had to pay to be turned on , so didn't use it ) plus a safe which was €2 a day (didn't use that either.) Maid service every day , they did a great job and very friendly.

The reps are great very friendly and talented they do an excellent job.very good shows and entertainment.

The restaurant. All in all can't grumble food was hot and a good variety used the grill quite a lot in general 8 out of 10.only niggle was paying €2.50 for water (10×2.50×3=€75) it was free in the morning so why not at night. The snack bar and staff , good food and friendly.
The hotel sauna , turkish bath , jacuzzi was very good probably could have been better if opened earlier than 11 but that's just my own opinions. All in all the hotel was excellent and would book again. cala bona was chilled and relaxed atmosphere a short walk to the harbour about 5 mins .Cala millor was about a 10 minutes walk more busy but nicer beaches. We found a pub which we visited quite a few times if you like pointless quizzes music quiz and bingo then this is for you run by a Welsh guy called David (maybe :-)) it's called The pub. Julies sandwich bar was also good if you fancy a snack. Hire a bike 4 wheeler is €39 for the day an electric scooter €10 for 30 mins.car hire about €80 for 2 days .
Cala bona is definitely a place to stay if you just want to chill out.

Ok here I go if you have read other reviews you probably know what I am going to whinge about .The sun beds as I have come away to relax I don't want to get up at 5 am to put a towel on a bloody sunbed this is a joke , I overheard an elderly couple (which at this hotel there are a lot, "I set my alarm for 3.30 and he goes down to put the towels on the beds do we can get the best places") they had the same spot for the 11 days I stayed there.There is a solution if you think about it ;-).
The sun deck which we used alot was empty till 9 or 10 and plenty of sun loungers , the jacuzzi was about 10 feet away so when you got to hot straight in , was brill.
The beach was 50 m away quite rocky sunloungers was about €4 for the day.
To sum up the holiday very enjoyable and would go again thumbs up to levante.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Wayne S
Reviewed 3 August 2014

Stayed for 11 days until 27th of July 14 excellent hotel and staff spoilt by people leaving towels on sunbeds when not even using them.Will be hesitant to return due to that problem easy solved if not back within an hour should be taken off by staff.

Stayed: July 2014