“Excellent little hotel” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #13 of 20 Hotels in Cala Bona
Inverness, United Kingdom
“Excellent little hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 October 2013

Super little family run hotel - very friendly staff, great location and atmosphere, we will definitely return!! - limited menu but always something we could eat ,my wife is a very fussy eater but I must say she ate well every night and commented that was the best hotel she has stayed at in spain for food!!! Prices at bar very reasonable! Only downside was the noisy entertainment if you wanted an early night- but not a big issue. ! All in all great value for money ( not for kids as pool area very small and mainly adult entertainment)

Room Tip: pool view rooms are quieter
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank tallysow

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (315)
Coventry, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 October 2013

I have just returned from a four day break in Cala Bona from the 20th to the 24th of October and I stayed at The Sur Hotel.

I could not believe that this hotel only had a ONE STAR classification,It should be at least a TWO star for what it offers.
It has a swimming pool and sun terrace, a lively bar, and it is in a great situation being only a five minute stroll from the harbour and even less to the beach. I can only comment on my room which was over looking the pool and tennis court, it had a balcony with a couple of chairs and a table for one to relax in the sun and it was very clean. It did not have aircon but electric fans were available to rent.It had a safety deposit box and a telephone. The towels were changed daily with the exception of Mondays and the bed linen was also changed.
I booked on a Bed & Breakfast basis but I did not have a breakfast I just had a coffee, but I took a look at the selection and it looked very good, I wish now that I had tried it.

All in all I had a good experience of The Sur Hotel, the staff in the hotel and the bar cafeteria were both efficient and friendly. I would reccomend this hotel to anyone on a budget, it IS very good.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
7 Thank TonyKalamari
Derby
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 October 2013

We have been visiting Cala Bona over the last 14 years, and apart from a couple of stays at other hotels, we normally stay at The Levante Hotel across the road from The Sur. Reading the reviews, and costing up the difference in price (which was always going to be a lot!) we decided to give The Sur a go. We travelled with Jet2 (another new experience) and were impressed with the service - although the transfer was a little tedious, almost 2 hrs each way. No rep in the hotel but could contact if necessary. Flights were comfortable, staff friendly and all on time.
We e mailed Aina at the hotel 2 weeks before we arrived, and had an immediate response which was reassuring. We asked for a double room on the top floor at the back, which is what we were allocated, and on arrival Aina recognised our name and that we had spoken by e mail. The room was small, but adequate with plenty of storage, balcony with the pool over on the right side - we overlooked the tennis court. The bathroom had a small tub with shower over. The only comment I could make here was that the enamel had peeled off extensively and continued to peel as we used the bath, and the stain due to this was unsightly but there was plenty of hot water. The other comment is that it took 20 mins to fill up the tub, and we were really unable to take a shower as the pressure was clearly quite bad at our end. The weather was extremely hot the week we were there and we didn't expect it to be quite so warm, so sleeping was very disturbed - we did hire a fan (large stand up) for the last 3 nights (2.50 euro per night) which made it a bit more bearable! Bed had a very comfortable mattress. Definitely loud music heard at night (some nights louder than others) but as others have commented stopped at midnight - dogs yapping constantly in neighbouring property were more of a nuisance! All the staff in the hotel were welcoming, friendly and happy - nothing was too much trouble. All areas were clean and tidy. Breakfast was fine - something for everyone, and dinner was also nice. No there wasn't always lots of choice, but what there was, was fresh and hot - and sometimes there is just too much choice isn't there! Yes we cleared our plates as others did, it was not a problem. The pool was small, but clean and nice and cold which was refreshing on hot days! There were plenty of sunbeds, although a little cramped, but it was only a small area. We couldn't fault the hotel, and as others have said, we are not sure why it only has a 1* rating. Free wifi in the bar and lounge area, and a quiet lounge up a few steps for reading etc. Wouldn't hesitate to recommend.

Room Tip: Larger twin rooms on the front (some have sea view). Smaller double rooms around the back.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
7 Thank littlesheDerby
Glasgow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 October 2013

I was dubious about going to a 1 star hotel but trusted the reviews on your website and was pleasantly surprised. The staff couldn't have been more friendly and accommodating and the services were excellent value for money. Sure, the bathrooms could probably do with a bit of updating but I loved how the old, solid taps and showers worked well, with fast flowing hot water at all times (easy to have a relaxing bath as well as a shower) and great quality mattresses with fantastic maid service every day (except Mondays) and towel changes. I am very picky about my food but had no problem in finding good choices and particularly loved the soup. Great choices of sweets and fruit too was an option at dinner. Would have liked fruit choice in the morning but had no problem in taking the cooked breakfast which was delicious. Not a great fan of the popular music in this area but only had to listen to it 9-12 then - blissful silence. Great not to be bothered with (although I love them) noisy children running around. As well as gym there was a quiet lounge where you could sit and read from daily newspapers, magazines an extensive library of books. Pool area great and tennis court too. My daughter couldn't make the trip as planned but I didn't feel the slightest bit awkward about being on my own. Thankyou Cris and the rest of the staff for a lovely trip.

Room Tip: If you don't like noise, choose one of the rooms overlooking the pool at the back.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
5 Thank Eileen O
Chester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 October 2013

I have read the reviews of people visiting this year, the majority of people have enjoyed staying at the Hotel Sur like us . For those that didn't I suggest they read what it says on the tin, it tells you no air conditioning, rooms service not available Mondays and that it is only one star.
It may only be officially rated as one star but the staff/family go out of their way to give you the customer the 5 star treatment.

We enjoy staying there also , such a warm welcome from all the staff, hence the return visits in September.
It is an ideal base for your staycation. Cala Millor is a comfortable stroll away and La Estacion Cafeteria is a good place to enjoy a typical Spanish Tapas Meal, Enjoy a Domingo (Sunday) day amongst the Local Spanish families who frequent this excellent bar. Or Just pop past the Cala Bona Hotel to Café Norai next door to the Rope and Anchor for an excellent cup of coffee or Pamboli (Majorcan Bread) with Serrano Ham and Spanish cheese. There are also plenty of places to accommodate the British food preferences if that is your choice. Your in Spain, let the taste buds have a holiday as well, enjoy what they have to offer, you will surprised how the simple things taste so good.

Room Tip: Read the Brochure or visit the Hotel Sur website before you go; Google Map and Street view as well...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Grumpygrandad48
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 October 2013

Good hotel in a central location bathroom needs updating bad stain in bath needs re-
enamelling .Really enjoyed the food no complaints about clearing own table never saw anyone that did complain your in a 1 star remember paying 1 star prices employ more dining room staff and the price will go up.
Pool area lovely grandchildren loved it would stay here again.

Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank kev1953
Tadcaster, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 October 2013

Have just returned after a week staying at this lovely hotel in the centre of Cala Bona. We should not have been staying there and did not book but ended up there and how pleased we were with it. I read some reviews and it was with some trepidation that I entered the hotel It is only small but what a warm welcome we received. The room had a balcony overlooking the main street but as it is not a busy resort at this time of year it was no problem. The bathroom was very small and the door had some holes in it but as we did not spend long in the bathroom we overlooked it. How they kept us supplied with constant hot water amazed me.
The dining room was lovely and the food was good. perhaps my only complaints are that it was laid out back to front so that people were running backwards and forwards for things and the salad bar on an evening could have been more adventurous but the rest of the food was good, plentiful and hot. I unlike most of the guests there, did not clear my own pots away and nothing was ever said. who started this ridiculous idea in the first place? I go away to be waited on.
The only member of staff that I found to be rude at times was the night man who just wanted to be left to go to sleep.
All in all would recommend as a cheap place to stay which provides more than value for money.

Room Tip: If you go to bed early ask for a room at the back of hotel.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
#4 of 65 in Cala Millor
Hotel Golf Beach
Hotel Golf Beach
#18 of 36 in Santa Ponsa

Been to Hotel Sur? Share your experiences!