“Hmmm....grew on me.”

Ranked #5 of 46 Hotels in Cala d'Or
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Hmmm....grew on me.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2014 via mobile

At first I wasn't impressed. I was annoyed that it was costing so much because it was peak season and on first impressions it didn't compare with our last (slightly cheaper) AI in the Caribbean. I didn't like the layout of the hotel but it dawned on me a few days in that if you wanted to stay in an hotel in an area made up of stunning little coves, you had to accept that hotels would be crammed in to whatever space they had. So, for this reason, the buildings are scattered and the pools are small but there are a few of them so there's choice. I felt the layout meant there was little opportunity to create atmosphere. Saying that, the animation team worked their socks off to get everyone involved in the daily activities. They were brilliant, lots of fun and you could see the kids loved them...and the parents too!
SUNBEDS: This hotel like many has tried everything. Don't assume in high season you'll get a lounger by the pool. We resorted to the beach most days and walked up for drinks and lunch. If you've got kids (ours is a teen now) you probably need to be around the pool and the secret seemed to be, bagging your beds after the evening entertainment. I kid you not! Everyone else did - ALL nationalities! Especially around the quiet pool by the Italian snack bar/beach.
ROOMS: we had a superior room ( think Premier Inn) very comfortable with memory foam beds but the air con seemed to go off during the night. This was a problem. The heat woke me up every night. The shower was amazing. The hair dryer was not! Take your own.
FOOD: Excellent! This is what makes this place 4* - plenty of choice. I ate fish I'd never heard of. They had themed evenings several times a week. The staff are very friendly and efficient. The main restaurant is a little like a school canteen with a quick turnaround of tables but the Italian restaurant below gives you the option of more relaxed dining with some great live music. It also hosts a great BBQ once a week.
Just a word about the All Inclusive. It's not the same as what you get in the Caribbean. You pay extra for tennis, international brands, bottled beers and some cocktails and there are no free water sports.
There is fridge in the room but it's up to you to fill it.
ENTERTAINMENT: kids disco, bingo, show (some were really good) all done and dusted by 11pm
This place is very child friendly. If you've got kids under 11, they'll love it. Not so much the teens. Ours crept off to the wifi lounge as often as he could.
Saying all this, by the end of our stay, we'd had a great relaxing holiday but generally I feel the food and staff are 4* and everything else more of a 3*. I wanted to rate this good but I only got Average or Very Good and it was somewhere in between.

Stayed August 2014
4 Thank AtkinsMJS

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (425)
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2014

I thought I knew what to expect, having read plenty of recent reviews before booking. I was impressed with the high repeat-booking rate so thought we'd give it a go.
My family of four (a seven yr old girl and eight yr old boy) liked the 'middle' pools, by the restaurant, as there was no music played here or pool activities, and the beach is not even a minute's walk away. Our room was impressive- large, clean, double balcony so we didn't have to wake the kids to access it and nice views over the landscaped gardens.
food- I read one review on here recently moaning about this and I really can't understand why. It was head and shoulders above other All-Inc food at other places. Huge amount of choice, all fresh (my kids loved watching fresh sushi being rolled on Asian night) and loads of variety thanks to themed nights, BBQ night, paella round pool etc. Breakfast was particularly delicious, with so many options. First class quality; credit to the chefs.
My only niggle, and I see I'm not the only one- the old sunbed bagging arrangements. I was stunned to be told by a fellow holiday-maker that she got up at 5.45am to put towels on beds. This is exactly the sort of little detail that ruins a holiday- and so many beds sit empty for most of the day with pristine towels over them. I don't know the answer, but as we were always up and around the pool by 9.30 and stayed there through to 6pm I support the idea of a system that rewards those who actually want to use their sunbeds throughout the day, not just for the odd spell of sunbathing. If you could sort this out, Ferrera Blanca, you'd be perfect for me!
well- almost- Ferrera beach is ridiculously busy so if you prefer a bit more space, walk the 5 minutes round to Esmerelda.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Tugnug
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

We would definitely recommend this hotel. The staff are really friendly, the food very good with plenty of choice. On arrival we received a glass of bubbly and biscuits at reception which was a nice touch. The hotel has 3 pool areas each with their own atmosphere, we enjoyed the middle pool near the stage as thats where the entertainment happened, aqua zumba, aqua fit, the animation team dance each morning etc.You can watch or join in, its entirely up to you.A word about the staff really friendly, fun and hard working. The food is varied with different theme nights,plus in the evening the lunchtime snack area by the pool overlooking the beach is turned into an italian restaurant, all part of the all inclusive experience. Sunbeds sadly like all hotels we have stayed in, the early bird catches the sun bed!!!! But we found there are sheltered sunbeds under the trees at the quiet pool usually vacant if up late. Late i mean after 7.30am! The hotel is very clean, rooms are set in blocks, block 9 is nearest the beach with possibly best views of the beach. We stayed in block 14 by the main pool with a lovely beach view set futher back, you need to be on 3rd floor though. Theres plenty of shops and restaurants close by and a pretty marina 25 mins walk away via all the shops.Theres also a crazy golf course close by. The beach is about 2 minutes set in a lovely cove with pedaloes you can hire. Very enjoyable holiday we left wishing we could stay longer.

Room Tip: set in blocks block 9 very close to beach. block 14 close to entertainment. block 14 3rd floor best...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Calfam50
Essex
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

We returned to Ferrera Blanca at the end of June for the second year running- my husband and I, and our children aged 3 and 10mths.

I have to say we always try to go somewhere new and never return but having stayed for 5 days last year, we had such a brilliant time and this year was just as good.

The staff are so friendly and helpful, they really can't do enough for you. The hotel itself is very clean and the rooms are great, spotless. We had a suite, which I think you really need with children for the extra room. None of the rooms have baths so bear that in mind but if you ask reception they will provide you with a baby bath if you have a baby, although our little boy loved the shower! The rooms aren't completely luxurious but they are very clean and have everything you need, and as all the rooms are in different low rise blocks it's a much nicer feel to the hotel rather than a big block of rooms. My only two comments on the rooms would be that it would be great to have a proper z bed or pull out bed as the third bed is in the lounge and part of the sofa, but I'm told all 4* hotels in Majorca are the same. Also instead of duvets they have sheets and those scratchy blankets which I always think are a bit outdated but they were all clean so it's just personal preference more than anything. Fridge in the room which is great too, even if you have a room or suite instead of an apartment.

The food is exceptional, really great. Fresh food at all times- both our children are great eaters but I would be surprised if you couldn't find something even for fussy eaters- they have a separate childrens buffet selection, and a great choice of desserts, chocolate fountain, fresh fruit, ice cream etc. They have theme nights which were great- the Mexican and chinese nights especially were of a very high standard. If you're travelling with babies, there is a microwave in the restaurant to sterilise bottles, and they have kids cutlery and crockery aswell so they really do cater for everyone.

You can hire beach towels so you can save on your luggage alllowance, and also have clean towels every day, and I'm told there's a company locally that will hire out baby walkers, strollers, practically anything you can think of which is handy, although we didn't know that at the time.

My husband and I have always tried to stay in 5* hotels and whilst this isn't a 'luxurious' hotel, the atmosphere, staff, and quality of the food really are outstanding. The entertainment staff work tirelessly and the quality of the evening shows were better than some of the 5* hotels we've stayed in before. My little girl absolutely LOVED the minidisco, it was the highlight of her day ;-) and the staff really are great.

The beach is right there too, lovely calm water and very clean, great for kids and so picturesque.

All in all another fantastic holiday and, most of the people that we spoke to were returning holidaymakers for the second, third, fourth time. There's something about the hotel that makes you feel relaxed and in the holiday spirit. Also for us, travelling with kids, it's great to know that it has everything you need, a choice of ice creams included in the all inclusive price was also a great benefit to us, and the choice of drinks on the all inclusive was also really varied- from Cava to Estrella, cocktails, spirits and the wine was very nice, not cheap plonk. Definately planning a return trip!

Room Tip: If you have young children in a buggy, opt for a ground floor room as there's no lifts. Rooms in...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank kies80
staffordshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

Maybe we are creatures of habit having just returned from our 8th visit here, but then so are approx 80% of all other guests!
We've seen quite a few changes over the past 4 years some for the better, some not so.
Entertainment- The animation team are great, we went in may and felt it was quite a weak team, the chief at that time didn't build any rapport with guests or join in with activities, Andrei, the chief now, however is friendly, sociable, and makes sure you're having a good time.
I must also mention Juan Mar, Alina, Dennis, Rafa and the lovely Veronica, thanks to you all for helping make our holiday so enjoyable (apart from the night of perfect couple!)
The times of activities have changed which wasn't so good...morning now starts at 11.00 instead of 10.30 and has been shortened 30 mins, finishing at 1.00, afternoon activities now start at 2.00 finishing at 4pm, this only leaves 1 hr to cool down in pool and get some lunch resulting in a hurried rush whereby it should be time for relaxing over a leisurely lunch, like it used to be.
Another change which we found disappointing was the finish time at the end of the night, entertainment is finished by 11pm, which is understandable when its family hotel, but they used to leave music on till at least 11.20, not blasting out but at a level nice enough to be able to have a chat with new friends and finish your drinks, instead of getting the feeling right that's it nights over. In previous years the club dance was done at the end of every night, sometimes twice, now it's only a couple of times a week.
None of the above would stop me from going again and didn't have any great negative impact on us, just a couple of niggles I suppose that wouldn't have made any difference had we not been before.
Restaurant - a couple of theme nights have been introduced. There is the existing Mexican night which is amazing! Lovely chilli, jalapeño potatoes, fajitas and more...just delicious!
There is now Asia night, again very nice, just missing prawn toast, crispy duck and pancakes and chicken korma! The rest of it however was great and very tasty.
BBQ night is another great theme night, lovely chicken, sausages, ribs and burgers, would have liked some BBQ sauce and cheese but now I'm just being picky!!
Staff - as always these people are lovely and really know how to make you feel welcome. Rebecca on reception deserves an award for her customer service, as does Jose in the restaurant and Sebastia and Javier behind the bar, everyone else from bar staff to cleaners are extremely friendly and always work with a smile.
Sunbeds- reserving of, this is something that really needs addressing, it gets worse every year, if you want a bed then you'd need to be up by 6.30 at the latest, if you want a bed with a parasol then you'd need to be up by 5. The frustrating bit is those who reserve beds then leave them all day, I saw it happen many times. It would be simple to have a policy of no reserving till 9am, if towels are placed before 9am then guest must stay on bed. Any member of staff who sees unattended towels before 9 can then remove said towel. We've seen this policy in place in Lanzarote, and it worked.
Dont let these points put you off though, you will have a fantastic holiday, I have no doubt whatsoever that we will return for our 9th visit, like others we met said, its almost as if there is an invisible pull that just makes you want to keep going back!

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank carolineashley
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014

Bad for sun beds but that's it amazing beach nice theme days

Maybe change the all inclusive band colour as the kids are orange at people was turning them round to get alcohol

Good you get free ice creams !

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Amiloudowns
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014

Fabulous apart-hotel. 1st experience of All inclusive and really enjoyed the food. We have 2 teenagers aged 15 & 16 and they found everything to be brilliant too. Animacion staff were outstanding. Only negative was the reserving of the sunbeds. All sunbeds were "reserved" by 6am! I think the hotel staff could do something about this. Some people left towels on beds all day and didn't return until late afternoon which was very selfish but not hotels fault. Apart from this, nothing else to have fault with. Thoroughly enjoyable week and will be back.

Room Tip: we enjoyed the pool view which allowed us to sit in the balcony and also enjoy the entertainment. Ba...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family