“Absolutely perfect”

Inturotel Esmeralda Garden
Ranked #19 of 46 Hotels in Cala d'Or
Reviewed 27 August 2014

I am not going to be able to write too much about this hotel as it is perfect!
Staff learnt me Spanish, were very welcoming at all times, and the rooms are lovely.
Just returned with my family of 4 and we are very pleased indeed.
Lovely touch when Jades birthday was made by them leaving a bottle of expensive vino and a happy birthday card!
How good does it get??
Thank you.

Room Tip: All rooms are perfectly placed
1  Thank Joseph B

Reviewed 19 August 2014

This was our second trip to Esmeralda gardens and once again we were not disappointed. The rooms were spotless and the staff very friendly. Esmeralda gardens is a great location, it's only 5 minutes walk to the lovely bays or you can sit by the pool which has ample sun beds for everyone, there were10 of us in the group and we always managed to get beds. There is plenty to do in the evenings, lots of lovely places to eat, great crazy golf,fab ice cream shops and Eden paradise bar across the road that hosts theme nights, Lady GaGa, Elvis and Robbie WIlliams to name a few. I would definitely go back again it's a wonderful relaxing place.

Room Tip: Pool view and high floor, bearing in mind only 3 levels, ground level you are literally on pool side...
6  Thank sandra g
Reviewed 15 August 2014

Stayed at the Esmeralda Gardens in Aug for 1 week with 2 teenagers. We had a third floor, self-catering apartment, with air-conditioning and a pool view which I would highly recommend. We had the sun on the balcony in the morning and at night time you could sit on the balcony and listen to the music from the Eden Paradise just across the road with music finishing at midnight.
Staff were very friendly and helpful. Apartment was cleaned 5 days a week and everywhere around the complex was spotless. We never had a problem getting sunbeds at any time of the day as people came and went which made the holiday very relaxing. There are plenty of places to eat out within a 5 minute walking distance. Highly recommend this accommodation. Cala D'Or is lovely.
We booked this holiday with Sunshine Holidays and got it at a very reasonable price. They also do airport transfers.
I advise you to read "Jo K" review as it is very accurate.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the main building ( they have accommodation across the road as well and you could...
6  Thank Munigh
Reviewed 31 July 2014

Went via Jet2holidays (which I would thoroughly recommend) to Esmeralda Garden on a half board basis on the first week of the children's summer holiday period on 17th July 2014. It takes an hour on the bus from Palma airport. The Esmeralda gardens is the smallest of the 3 Inturotel resorts hotels in Cala D'or. Superb location, and we liked that it was smaller than the others, easy to wander back to your room. Not right on the beach, the Esmeralda is on the beach and Azul Park just on the cliffs beyond it.

Take note, that if on B&B or half board, the bigger Esmeralda hotel is around 5 minutes slow walk away, but this was fine for us, no trouble at all. You go round the corner to the left, past the cheesy tourist shops and right again down a small road and through a side gate. Always keep your pass with you, need it to gain entry to the complex. We thought half board was good value as 2 adults and 2 teen girls. I think it would get expensive eating out every night. Our usual holidays are cruises and I have to say, the standard of food and choice, service etc at Esmeralda was brilliant, far exceeding my expectations. If you love fish and seafood, you'll love it! Different dishes every night (for example a speciality paella or tapas night). Don't miss Tuesday night, that is the gala night. You pay for any drinks in the restaurant, you take a seat and your waiter/waitress come over to you.

There is air conditioning in the rooms, I would have preferred it to be a bit cooler, but it was stifling hot the first half of the week, with 33 degrees in the day and 90% humidity at night. Second half of week, temps a bit lower. Even the staff thought it was hot. Ask for extra key cards and leave the card in the air conditioning holder the whole time if it's hot. So, for me, it really was too hot to do anything other than lie about by the pool, so we didn't do any trips other than the little yellow land train (which you pick up 10 mins walk away from the Azul hotel area).

Reception is manned 24 hours a day - the duty manager Ferdenand was superb, nothing was too much trouble. All the staff we came across at both hotels were accommodating and very friendly.

We had 2 apartments.... 418 was ours overlooking the pool, top floor, brilliant location. Our girls faced the road at the back, 417, not quite adjacent, but close enough. The lift goes to floor 2, so you need to walk the 16 steps to floor 3, so not a good choice if you had mobility issues. I emailed the hotel a week or so before to ask for adjacent rooms, top floor, facing the pool and recommend this. There is a laundry in the main Esmeralda hotel, but we just used a bit of travel wash, it certainly didn't take long to dry in the heat on the balcony.

For our water and snacks etc, we went to the SUMO supermarket just up the road (literally). It's the closest one and cheapest. They have a fabulous bakery if you are not on half board or B&B.

Maid service was everyday apart from Thursdays and Saturdays. They change towels etc and give the apartment a good floor sweep every day, excellent. The maid does not wash up for you though, and we took a J cloth or two with us, but feel a cloth and a bit of washing up liquid would have been good. We didn't use much, just the cups for tea or the odd plate. We used the shower gel given as complimentary as washing up liquid. Again, took our own toiletries and soap etc.

Sunbeds... normally they don't allow towels to be put out on sunbeds, and I'm sure, at quieter times of the year, sunbeds would not have been a problem. However, as I prefer more shade than sun, there were only a few sunbeds with shade (although lots of parasols) and if you didn't want the hassle of hunting round for the odd spare one, it was towels out at 8am (I hate sunbed hoggers on the cruises, but it was a case here of...... "if you can't beat 'em - join 'em!). You can hire beach towels for 1 euro a day if you don't want to pack your own.

Entertainment.... If you like cheesy shows, then the bigger Esmeralda main hotel had one of those every night, we only watched one. But if you have kids aged baby to 12, this hotel is for you, with the play areas and lively kids clubs going on during the day. The young kids looked like they were having a fabulous time. Personally, for nights out we loved the Eden Paradise bar over the road which started at 9.30pm (and during the odd night we only went to dinner and not out, loved to listen to the featured artist of the night). The Eden shuts at 12 midnight, so not late. Or, if you go through the kids playpark with the bungee trampolines and bouncy castles, turn right and there are loads of bars down there. We liked Tropicana - they had the best cocktails here! Plus great entertainment. Azul hotel looked nice as well, but we didn't really look around here much. Some of the apartments facing the sea at Azul or Esmeralda looked gorgeous if you dropped in lucky.

On Tuesday lunchtime, the manager of all 3 hotels invites guests that are around the pool for a glass of cava or two and checks that you are having a great time and for any feedback. Lovely flowers put on the table, I thought this was a great idea. My only feedback would be for the air conditioning to be on in the room for arrival. After 9 hours of travelling and arriving in the heat of the day, that would have been nice, instead of a boiling hot room that took a while to cool.

One tip, if like us, you are leaving early to catch your flight home. There is a cold buffet breakfast available from midnight to 8am in Esmeralda. It looks like the restaurant is closed, but just go ahead in and get your breakfast like we did around 7am. In fact, a lot of the hot items were coming out of the kitchen so we got a bacon buttie in the end.

Now, for a couple of little niggles......

Firstly wifi. It's free in the lobby of the hotels or the basement (there is a pool table down there and a few books and sofas etc). It's 15 euros a week, however this only applies to ONE device at a time and with 2 teenage daughters (who seem totally unable to do without this), we had to pay 30 euros. The sofas in the bigger, Esmeralda resort hotel were often totally full with peeps intently staring at their mobiles/tablets.

Secondly, the safe. In hindsight, I don't think we needed this, but sorted it out at check in. There were no security issues and being on the 3rd floor, felt safe. The 21 euro charge for a week, again, I thought was excessive. You pay another 3 euros for deposit for a key - I think key lock safes are not very secure anyway, rather than a keypad where you can put your own pin number in.

But these are really minor issues, and as long as you know beforehand, you have the choice.

If you like a beach holiday, and not too big a resort for teens, Cala D'or and this hotel is great. If you like it busy, with young children, Esmeralda Resort (the larger hotel) would be a good choice.

Room Tip: Email the hotel a week or so before. Ask to be in main building (there is an annexe over the road t...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
15  Thank Jo K
Reviewed 19 July 2014

My girlfriend and I stayed here 01/07/2014-08/07/2014, I have to say I was very pleased with the Inturotel resort as a whole, the actual hotel we stayed in wasn't in any photos we previewed on travel agents websites. Our room was above a yoghurt stand and right opposite a karaoke bar which did annoy me at first, but I did enjoy sitting on the balcony with a beer and a cigarette in my hand just watching the holiday population go by. From time to time.

The main advantage of staying with Inturotel is the variety of pools, we counted at least 6 all within 1 sq mile! We preferred the azul gardens pool as it was one of the larger pools and not as busy, the main pool by the beach was absolutely beautiful but very busy, and rightly so!

Cala D'or centre is 5 minutes walk with many restaurants. We tried 3-4 restaurants and they were all lovely- Don Leones, pirate bar, misterante all serve tasty food! There are quite a few souvenir shops as well as some perfume shops accompanied by many bars!

We stayed half board, the breakfasts are amazing, all your can eat bacon, sausage, eggs, fruit, yoghurts, pastries, crepes! With refillable coffee and OJ. It's safe to safe I didn't require lunch most days!

Evening meal was so-so IMHO. Quite "samey" although this is not uncommon with hotels. That said, I tried Veal and swordfish for the first time at this hotel which speaks for the quality of the food served.

Pool side bars are absolutely awesome with views of the Med from the coast-side snack bar.
Local beer equated to 3.10 Euros and JD n Coke 6.90 Euros! (Damn the missus)

REASONS TO STAY HERE:

- MINIMUM 6 swimming pools to choose from, two snackbars overlooking the Med (truly beautiful)

- 100+ restaurants within 1sq mile cala dor centre

- private beach cove in front of main reception

- Cala ferrea beach 500yards walk from main complex

- decent food (for half boarders) must note the breakfasts were excellent! IMHO

- 2/3 supermarkets within 500 yards

- generally cala Dor is amazing I can't wait to go back!!!

- rooms cleaned most days fresh towels etc

- many bars in Cala Dor

Advice - stay in the gardens or park, I personally wouldn't book in this particular hotel in the I turtle resort for location alone.

I hope this has been of some use, book and enjoy!

Room Tip: Choose azul gardens or park resort not emeralds gardens. Thank me later.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
8  Thank James B
Reviewed 15 July 2014

We've stayed here before and the larger complex down the road but much prefer this smaller, quieter apartment complex. Has everything a family or couple would want and only a short walk (10 mins max) from all the action in the centre of town. Could do with a microwave in the room, otherwise perfect for the price and highly recommended.

• Stayed: July 2014
3  Thank SteveHague
Reviewed 8 July 2014

Read all the recent reviews which was encouraging so we was expecting a pretty good self catering holiday!

We really got one!!!

I know different people have different views and expectations but we found the hotel to be
a very good 3* hotel. Really well positioned to explore all of Cala do'r.

Again after reading the reviews we agree that the kitchen area is suitable for breakfasts and
salad lunches. Not for dinners.

Staff really pleasant and attentive.

Room immaculately cleaned nearly every day.
Pool area kept really well, sunbeds available from 11:00 onwards.
Turn left at the main entrance and approx. 150yds to a large local supermarket.
A very good curry house after turning right in to the kiddies square.

The karaoke opposite didn't disturb us as we made a pact to come in after 2400hrs
but I can see some of the reviews pointb of views about the loudness, which a question
has to be asked, "does it really need to be that loud?"

We tried all the beaches and the best for us was clearly cala gran approx. a 5min walk.

If you want central, clean, comfortable, affordable, pleasurable, accommodation then look no further, this hotel will deliver.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple