We were first time visitors to Mallorca, but we know mainland Spain inside out. This hotel is superb, characterised by exceptionally friendly service, a calm and peaceful feel to the shared spaces and rooms and a good restaurant. We stayed for 9 nights at the height of the season but found it easy to relax, often having the lounge bar to ourselves and never any overcrowding at breakfast etc. Most rooms are junior suites. Ours was of a high standard, though the air-con was tricky to operate and the fridge needed replacing. The smiling staff will live long in the memory.
We loved Mallorca, but the town of Cala D'Or will be an absolute shocker for anyone wanting to avoid the worst of costa-culture... English bars, karaoke, live Lady Gaga tribute acts. Even the much lauded marina area was decidedly patchy in quality and a rip-off if you're looking for genuinely fresh seafood. The main beach (Gran Cala) is mostly occupied by the Brits and is overcrowded. We had more luck at Cala Esmeralda and Cala Serena (a 15-20 minute walk from the hotel) but on one day these beaches were so awash with rubbish (on the sand and on the water surface) that we turned back and never went again.
So, we hired a car and used this hotel as a base from which to explore the fantastic ports and beaches that the rest of the island has to offer. Highlights were Colonia de Sant Jordi (not a geordie in sight...), Es Trenc, Porto Colom, Port de Pollenca and the long beach at Can Picafort. We also stayed in the north of the island, but I'll save that for a different review.
In summary... yes, go to this hotel but you need a car to escape the dreadful Cala D'Or.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Meliá Cala D’Or Boutique Hotel is located in a beautiful Mediterranean garden, just 200metres from Cala Gran and 250meters from the city center Cala D'Or, offering the most relaxed and peaceful environment. The rooms decorated in the typical Majorcan style, surrounded by gardens. Fully-equipped bathrooms with hydromassage-tub. Discover superb fine dining at our hotel, serving a wide range of daily menus. Enjoy our Pool with hydromassage and children´s pool with playground area. Experience the SPA with fitness center, sauna, steam bath an on request massages. Como to visit us... ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Jet2Holidays , Booking.com, Melia, LoveHolidays, TravelUp, Hotels.com, Travel Republic (UK), Odigeo, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Cancelon, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly and Hotel.de so you can book your Melia Cala d'Or Boutique Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Melia Cala d`Or Hotel Cala d`Or
- Cala d Or Melia
- Melia Cala D'Or Boutique Hotel Majorca