“Lovely Hotel, Didn't Want To Come Home”

Barcelo Ponent Playa
Ranked #22 of 46 Hotels in Cala d'Or
Coalville, United Kingdom
“Lovely Hotel, Didn't Want To Come Home”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2011

After having read several negative reviews of this hotel, I was slightly apprehensive about staying there before travelling with my boyfriend at the end of June 2011. However, I've just returned from a weeks holiday at the Ponent Playa, and was overall pleasantly surprised, and find myself disagreeing with the majority of bad comments I have read about it.
I'm going to start with the bad points of the hotel as there were only a few, and it shouldn't take very long. The first thing we noticed was that the outdoor pool was rather small considering the size of the hotel and the number of guests there. Everytime we walked past, it seemed very busy and would have been impossible to find a sunbed, so we didn't spend any time around the pool while we were there. Having said that, the beach that the hotel is located on is so beautiful that there really wasn't any need for us to use the pool.
The restaurant was laid out in quite an awkward manner, and there seemed to be people walking everywhere trying to get food, as they didn't really know where to start. Also, i am quite a fussy eater, so i can be quite difficult to feed, and I found that there wasn't much variety in the food they had on offer. That being said, I never went hungry. My boyfriend, however, said he really enjoyed the food and always came to the table with his plate piled high.
The only other problem with the hotel is that, while it's location is beautiful and there are plenty of things around, if you want to go on any excursions or do certain activities like a waterpark, it will cost a lot as you are quite far away from it all.
Now onto the good points, because this hotel really does deserve praise.
During our entire week there, all of the staff were wonderful. the reception staff were really friendly, the restaurant staff were so polite, the bar staff were fantastic, and the maids did an excellent job. We were never made to feel like we weren't wanted there.
Our room was quite basic, but still nice. It wasn't too small at all, our double bed was actually 2 single beds pushed together, though this is probably better in hot countries as you have more room to yourself. The beds and pillows were quite comfy though. We had air conditioning which worked fine, or we could just open up the double doors to let some air in. The bathroom was more than adequate as well with a shower over the bath, however the shower rail did fall off on our first day as it wasn't really attached to the wall. We had a gorgeous view of the beach from our balcony as well, and we were on the 3rd floor, which is also the floor that the reception was on.
As I've already said, the beach next to the hotel was absolutely lovely, so there was no need to find another beach to use. However, if you did want another beach, there is one about 5 minutes walk from the hotel.
Just outside the hotel, there are plenty of bars, restaurants and shops to keep you busy, or if you walked a bit further on, you could find the centre of Cala D'Or which had a bit of something for everyone. We walked into Cala D'Or at night and it was beautiful, the place came alive!
We mainly ate lunch at the snack bars by the pool and beach, and the food that they served was lovely, and most of it was included if you went All Inclusive, though for things like deserts, you had to pay extra. If you were all inclusive, you had to give your room number and sign for drinks and food from the bars, but it wasn't really a problem, just slowed the bar down a little bit.
As I've said, it is quite expensive to go on trips from the hotel, especially if you go through your holiday rep, but the reception provided us with timetables for the public buses, which pick up about a minute away from the hotel. There is also a little train that will take you from the bus stop into the centre of Cala D'Or, and down to the harbour.
We did book one trip through our rep, and that was to see the show Pirates in Magalluf. I have seen it twice now and it is absolutely fantastic, so I would definitely recommend seeing that while you're there!
Overall, this hotel was a really great choice for my boyfriend and I to spend our first holiday together. I think people need to remember that it is only a 3 star hotel, and that is what you are paying for, so don't expect the Ritz! the hotel was clean, everyone was friendly and you have a gorgeous beach right on your doorstep...what more could you want?! After all, the holiday is what you make it!

Room Tip: Try to get a sea view, 3rd floor is a good choice for a room, definitely go all inclusive, and take...
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank MissVik27

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (464)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2011

After reading somw of the reviews before we went I was a little worried but I was pleasently surprised by what we found.

Yes the rooms are a little dated but are very clean and tidied daily, the pool and beach are busy but not a problem.

I was most worried about the food, but we really enjoyed it, there was always a huge selection of dishes, lots of spanish foods to try, my 19 month.old ate better than he has in ages, trying all manner of new dishes.

We found the staff very friendly, they always made time to say hello to my son and chat to us. I would say the only downside is the entertainment, the staff work very hard but it is just very cheesy and silly, they would do better to get more acts in rather than just have the entertament staff do everything.

I agree with the comment about having to wait.to be served at the bar, tjis was a little annoying, espevially when it got near 11!

All in all I was pleased with our choice and takimg everything into account we would definately return again in the future

• Stayed July 2011
1 Thank Stagg2
Leyburn
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2011

we have stayed here several times and enjoyed ourselves each time. All the staff are very friendly especialy those in the dining room. Why people downrate the food is beyond me ,all I can think is that they only want plain food (we have had fresh slamon, etc),and a varierty of local and international dishes. We are returning once again in September this year,and look forward to another pleasent holiday

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank auldchuck
manchester
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2011

We stayed at the hotel for 10 nights from the 20th June - 30th June and ha a fantastic time. I've just read the recent negative reviews and everyone is entitled to their opinion but I really couldn't find any fault, although I do feel sorry for the SAGA holiday makers.

We travelled with a 4 year old (he could've been one of the ones in the pool doing the squirting - he certainly got me a few times!!) and he had a great time. The food was fine - my husband loved it as he loves different meats although he wasn't keen on the the beef. I'm difficult to cater for but always managed to find something - the fish and salads were always good. My son had difficulty eating but to be honest I put this down to the heat and being out of routine rather than what was available (burgers, pasta pizza etc for children).

The hotel was quieter during the first part of the holiday but it did get busy. We didn't really notice it too much as we spent the mornings on the beach (on towels not on loungers) and then by the pool in the afternoon - from about half 2, 3ish. I never had any problems finding a sun bed at that time - it's scorching until about 7 so there's plenty of time to sunbathe.

The rooms are basic but as mentioned in previous reviews very clean - the bathrooms are a good size with a bath and decent shower - there is also shower/hair gel there with saves you packing any. Our room was directly over the entertainment area which was on until 11.30pm - not great with a 4 year old - but surprisingly he slept through it and on the positive side you get a great view!! The hotel did offer to move us to another room but we preferred the one we were in. The evening entertainment is not brilliant but they do try - I think they bring in an act one a week usually on a Monday which is better.

To sum up:

This is a family hotel and it is very clean and in an amazing location. You are able to get a sun bed if you leave it a bit later and go to the beach instead for the morning. We found the staff helpful and not at all miserable - just busy!!! I want to go back - NOW!!!

Room Tip: Room 586 very noisy - above entertainment
4 Thank arnie207
lancashire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2011

Hello, thought I would leave an up to date review for this hotel.
I travelled with my 4 year old daughter, my partner, parents and sister and her partner. We all thoroughly enjoyed our time here. The food was great, plenty to choose from, somethings stayed the same each day but the show cooking changed daily. Plenty of choice at breakfast, full english, cereals, fruits, continental style too. Dinner you could have over looking the beach at the bar and that was snacks of burger / hotdog with chips and salad. Evening meal was nice too, 2 different soups and fresh bread each day, hot and cold meats, salad and fruit and ice cream also. The rooms were basic, but clean and maid came each day to refresh towels,mop and make the beds. The pool was a lovely temp and you could order food at this bar too all inclusive but were other options available if you didnt mind paying, but we found things on the menu allinclusive just fine. The evening entertainment was alright but we tended to go for a walkabout the local town of Cala Farerra, plenty of thing for young children, but this was not in your face if that was not what you wanted. Plenty of bars and restaurants to choose from and a nice walking distance to Cala D'or where more bars and restaurants and plenty of shops can be found.
The staff in the hotel were very helpful and pleasant, bar staff and maids were lovely too.
The down points were,the beds on the beach were not free, they were 12Euros for 2 beds and a parasol for the day. The beds by the pool are free but you do have to make effort to get up early to get beds and ensure you get a parasol.
Overall, this holiday was great and we do plan on returning.

Room Tip: Request a sea view room on a high floor
2 Thank w8mmb
huddersfield
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2011

stayed here 2 weeks late june 2011 with my partner.

this is without doubt the noisiest hotel, I have ever stayed in, the noise is incessant from 10am until after midnight, the music is too loud and on several occasions contained inappropriate sexual lyrics and swearing.

less said about the entertainment, the better, wouldnt really describe it as entertainment, consisted of dancing lessons, darts, shuffleboard and water polo during the day and kareoke and audience participation shows most nights, would have expected better from a Barcelo hotel, I wanted to be entertained, not be part of the entertainment and expected more proffessional acts.

If you are wanting peace and quiet, then, dont come here as its overrun with hordes of kids whose parents dont seem to care, whilst I was there the pool was full of little monsters having water fights with super soaker water guns, and soaking everybody within yards of the pool.

The A/C is useless, resulting in you having to open the door to the balcony all night, which then means the mozzies get you, regardless of whatever precautions you have taken to stop being bitten.

one more gripe, the silly system of having to sign for everything ordered from the bar even though I went all inclusive

the food was good and the restaurant and bar staff pleasant and amenable

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
Leeds, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2011

Stayed here with my family for ten night, The hotel is clean and tidy and not so dated as reported before, in other reveiws. it is painted white and the painting is upto date. some of the structual pillars are dated but what do you do knock them down, not when they are is such good condition.
The pool area could do with a revamp and probly will get one at the end of the season.
The staff are friendly from reception to the cleaners always had a smile and a good morning. the bar staff do a good job when there are 20 people standing at the bar speaking 6 languages if you are all inclusive you have to sign evertime you get a drink and give your room number, the will only give you 1 drink per person at a time so 2 in a room 2 drinks. crisps are 1.20 euro.
The food
Breakfast all you will ever need full english varies from day to day fresh cooked bacon and eggs on the grill make your own toast.
contiental breakfast and cereals and diet spreads
lunch and dinner are much the same various hot and cold dishes soups and deserts.
you end up eating for eatings sake but all in all a good standard.
The rooms are a standard room size bath, toilet, sink and beday towels changed daily
2 beds and bed side cabinets double glass fronted wardrobe, tv, chairs and a balcony.
the beds are comfortable and are cleaned daily. The public toilets and lifts are constantly been cleaned. It is a muilt national hotel and its not a saga hotel they just us it, lots of lifts everwhere to use. The pool side entertainment is good yoga.aqua gym, dance lessons, darts, crazy golf, french bowls and vollyball and lots of other games to keep you occupied
The kids club TUI looks good but if you are english not so good. the dont speak much english when you are in there. so the kids havent got a clue whats going on.
They also do the kids disco same songs and routine every night and not very fair to the kids. The pool side entertainment team put on some good shows at night they start at around 10.15 ish
You will have some what the ek moments but the good will out way the bad.

Room Tip: sea veiw west side of hotel
2 Thank seandd