The positive things:
- The price. Very affordable pricing.
- Nice view from the balcony if your room is facing the sea.
- The hotel is located right next to the excellent Cala Ferrera, and the even better Cala Esmeralda is just a short walk away. There are also many more nice sand beaches to explore in the area.
The negative things:
The rooms are outdated and the wear is apparent. Rusty door locks, dirty tiles on floor and bathroom, water taps loosing the metal look wrapping, revealing the plastic underneath and so on.
The bathroom has a not so pleasant smell.
The bed is pretty bad, did not sleep good a single night. We asked for a double bed, but got two single beds pushed next to each other.
Since the hotel is very old it also has the sound isolation of a matchbox. You can hear every word spoken in the neighboring room, balcony and in the hall way. Don’t bother setting an alarm, the screaming kids or the hearing impaired pensioners will wake you up.
The cleaning is not the best, the balcony for instance was never cleaned during our visit.
In the rooms you can find the wifi of the five closest hotels but the Ponent Playa, however, does not offer wifi in their rooms.
The staff at the reception are not particularly helpful and most of the time the answer will be “I don’t know”. It’s their job to know.
Wifi is only available in the reception area. The basic (free) wifi is dimensioned for three people and since there is constantly more than ten people using it, it’s unusable, utterly rubbish in fact. The upgraded wifi costs 4 € per day and is barely any better. I had to send some e-mails with attachments and that took more than an hour to successfully send. This is unacceptable in 2014.
The staff of the dining area are nicer and more helpful than their reception counterparts. We had the half pension which included breakfast and dinner. There is plenty of food to choose from in both the breakfast- and dinner buffet but the quality is mostly lacking. The focus is mainly on quantity, not quality. Don’t worry though, you will always find something to eat, and if not, you will loose your appetite quite quickly anyway, watching the other people eat more than they should.
When we were staying there (summer 2014) most of the guests were German, British, Russian or people who wear sunglasses for breakfast. The hotel seems to me most popular among retired people as well as young families with newborn children.
The area has some really nice beaches and the scenery with its cliffs and sand beaches is very beautiful. There is a daily boat to Cala Mondrago, which lets you see the beautiful landscape from the sea, I can really recommend this.
The area is very touristic with lots of souvenir shops and bars/restaurants with menus in 15 different languages. Handy perhaps, if you want to order your meatballs in swedish, but hardly authentic.
The Barcelo Ponent Playa is an outdated hotel in need of a renovation. The sound isolation is very poor. If you are planning on spending most of your time elsewhere and only looking for a place to sleep and eat breakfast, this is a OK option, specially if you can get it at a good price. In fact the only time you should consider this hotel is if you are on a tight budget. If you have any other option, go for the other one.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Jet2Holidays , Onthebeach, Priceline, Barcelo, LoveHolidays, Hotels.com, Ebookers, Travel Republic (UK), Odigeo, Booking.com, Expedia, Traveltool, S.L.U., Hotel.de and HotelQuickly so you can book your Barcelo Ponent Playa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Barcelo Ponent Playa Hotel Cala Ferrera
- Barcelo Hotel Ponent Playa
- Barcelo Cala d Or
- Barcelo Ponent Playa Cala D'Or, Majorca