“We loved this area so much!”

Barcelo Ponent Playa
Ranked #21 of 46 Hotels in Cala d'Or
Reviewed 22 July 2014

Recently stayed here for 1 week, all-inclusive, with my family. Booked last minute and didn't read any reviews prior to our trip so had no expectation and was very pleased upon arrival.

Staff: ALWAYS friendly and knowledgeable. Check in was quick, quiet, easy as we arrived at 3am. Bar staff were always polite, pouring large measures :) The restaurant staff were the least friendly and not sure I saw any of them smile once! We nicknamed one of the older ladies 'Mrs. Angry' haha! Still, it made good memories :) They were very good about banging plates about loudly when clearing up from dinner!

Hotel: No complaints. Yes, it is a little dated, but who cares? Our room was very clean every day, shower, toilet etc all worked absolutely fine. To those people complaining about Wi-Fi...GET A LIFE!!! You are on holiday, why on earth do you need to spend time glued to your device! If you wanted good internet you should have stayed at home!!! I used it a couple times and it was fine, it even worked down at the bar and in my room. However, only reason I used it was to upload some pictures as my storage memory was getting low. Otherwise, in my opinion, no need for internet when enjoying this gorgeous place!
The cleaning staff were always cleaning, the hotel was spotless. Slight complaint was that the downstairs toilets by the beach were usually out of toilet paper after 3pm! I would keep some in my bag :) The hotel is not at all rundown as I read in some reviews.

Pool: Always busy, lots of kids. We found after 5pm was quieter though. Good Aqua Aerobics at 11am!

Beach: BEAUTIFUL!!!!! Absolutely stunning views that took our breath away every single day. This hotel is right on the edge of the cove, and could not be a more perfect location. I did think it was naughty that the hotel charged for sunbeds, but not to worry. We just laid our towels on the beach, there was another option to pay on the beach which I think were slightly cheaper than those at the hotel but they were always busy and occupied so we never bothered.
Look out for the wonderful fruit seller!!! His sales chant will be stuck in your head the whole time, so funny! He goes around with his wheelbarrow everyday selling watermelon, pineapple, banana, coconut!
You can get a pedalo boat with a slide 12 euros for small, 15 for large, for 1 hour. We really enjoyed this!

Attractions: Lots of trips available by bus and boat. We did a starfish boat trip that goes right from the hotel. 5 different trips offered. We went to the old fishing town of Cala Figuera, absolutely stunning. Boat trip was great, but beware of JELLYFISH!!! We stopped at Mondrago park for swimming and I got stung badly. Currently on antibiotics. Didn't even see it before or after it got me, so be careful.
The main centre of Cala D'Or is about 10 mins walk, loads and loads of shops, bars, restaurants, but nice and quiet not full of drunks and only 1 small nightclub that we saw. This area is very family-orientated. We went to a Rod Stewart tribute act and a Freddie Mercury, both were excellent! They were both at the same place which I think was called Eden Paradise very close to the hotel.
Free mini-golf at the hotel, and tennis, good entertainment program although that isn't really our sort of thing but good if you have kids.

Food: Excellent variety. This was our first ever time as all-inclusive so I was worried the choices would be limited but I was wrong. Pretty much every food you can think of and it was different every day. Only complaint here is it was very busy and some people don't know the meaning of the word 'queue' and waitresses were grumpy and banging plates around.
But, food was delicious and plenty of it. Best time to go if you want quiet was right when they opened at 7pm, or at 8:30pm when all the kids have gone!!!

We will definitely return here hopefully next year :)

Room Tip: We were on level 3, right behind reception. Very quiet and clean. Good too as you don't have to...
1  Thank candyGeorgia
PONENTPLAYA, Assistant Manager at Barcelo Ponent Playa, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2014

Dear guest,

Thanks for spend your time writing a comment about the hotel, is very helpful for us.

We are glad that you enjoyed you stay at Barceló Ponent Playa, all our staff work hard to make our guests experience the best.

We hope see you soon.

There are newer reviews for Barcelo Ponent Playa

Reviewed 22 July 2014

If you have booked a holiday at this hotel do not be worried by the negative reports, I felt sure some people must have been staying at a different hotel from me! If you want a five star hotel pay five star prices.
The best feature is the location on the bay, perfect.
I travelled with my mother and we were given a room with our own terrace, complete with our own sunbeds, we asked for a low level floor due to mobility.
The day time entertainment was the best ever due to an amazing team of young men.
The only negative comment is that the hotel needs to employ more waiting and cooking staff , as they were struggling to keep up with demand at peek times. Saying this they were all very helpful and hardworking.
We did have a fridge in our room, on another review somebody said they didn't.
Over all a great holiday, for the price paid.

Review collected in partnership with Barceló Hotels & Resorts
2  Thank Karen H
PONENTPLAYA, Assistant Manager at Barcelo Ponent Playa, responded to this reviewResponded 26 July 2014

Dear guest,

We are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us, all our staff work hard to make our guest´s experience the best.

Reviewed 19 July 2014

Just got back from a week here. The location of this hotel is Brilliant and the Beach and sea are amazing. Staff are very kind and helpful, great place for kids. Not many sunbeds around the pool area which is not great as you have to pay on the beach.

The things that let the hotel down are that it is rather dated. Our room overlooked the entertainment stage which went on until 12. Entertainment was good when people from outside the hotel were doing it. The shower in our room was awful and come out like a dribble. Shower curtain was rather old as is most of the room, which is a shame as the rest of the hotel is nice.

The lifts are rather interesting, waiting times can be long and they are rather small. They tend to have a mind of their own and just go to any random floor and even back to the one you started at. Just use the stairs if possible.

The area is great. Great food ( Steak House around the corner ) Great bars and things for the kids to do. Transfer is not as long as they say.

Review collected in partnership with Barceló Hotels & Resorts
2  Thank Steven F
PONENTPLAYA, Assistant Manager at Barcelo Ponent Playa, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2014

Dear guest,

Thanks for spend your time writing a comment about the hotel, is very helpful for us and them make us improve.

We regret that you had some disappointments with the hotel during your stay, all our staff work hard to give our guests the best service possible, so we will consider all your comments for the future.

Reviewed 19 July 2014

Absolutely great for a family on a budget if you take the all inclusive deals. The hotel is dated and being allowed to become rundown. They still only provide Wi-Fi in the reception area so of course it became very congested with all those seeking to go online and people booking in and out. I read in the reviews about the quality of food and was expecting bland and basic. There was nothing to complain about, I ate the foods I like and never went hungry. The room we had (102) was quite enough but did overlook the balconies of the hotel next door, again not a problem for us. My only real gripe was the awful smell in the bathroom. There was a over powering smell of stale urine, and have told the hotel group that it may just be time they replace the floor tiles! we wont be in a hurry to return to this hotel, but if they revamp it we may return. One last thing, you will be charged to use the room safe.

Room Tip: Rooms in the block 100 onwards are away from the pool area if you need a little peace and quite.
1  Thank ThelmaandKevinB

Dear guest,

We regret the incident with the smell in your bathroom, the hotel is located in a very wet area, and occasionally some pipes smell, so we request you to accept our apologies.

We are glad that you enjoyed your stay at the hotel and we hope to see you again.

Reviewed 18 July 2014

As this was a very late booking is 48 hrs, I really wasn't expecting too much. The room was small and was right over the entertainment (311). The bathroom only had the towels changed once the whole time as with the sheets on the bed as well. This hotel is very dated and very "tired". Thankfully, we didn't pay that much and it was all inclusive. The food was OK but nothing to rave about at all and certainly not a lot if choice. The up side is that its location is brilliant. Right on the beach with fan views. I certainly would rush to go back to this hotel? We never used the pool as you could never get a sunbed around it, maybe because they were free. Beds around the beach area are €12 . plenty of restaurant s around to eat out if you so wish, we did this a couple of times.

Balcony was never cleaned all the time we were there.

All-inclusive finishes at 11pm every night and then you have to pay!

No tea or coffee facilities in the room or a fridge!

Room Tip: Avoid room 311 as its very noisy.
3  Thank shaw1952
Reviewed 17 July 2014

Returned today from a 10 day stay at this hotel.

Was disappointed upon arrival as I have paid approx £80 supplement for a sea view room. The room I was given I (161) I admit you can see the sea (over trees and through shrubs and by turning right) but it was not a sea view room and certainly not worth paying a supplement for. We also were directly under the main restaurant so had the pleasure of chairs scrapping above us from 0730-1030 and 1900-2230, I asked if we could move rooms and was told no the hotel was full.

We settled into this room, that was also in my opinion dated and a bit tired looking. I asked the reception staff the next day for directions to Cala D'or centre and the lady told me she didn't know as she had just recently moved into this area (didn't ask another member of staff to help me)

The location of this hotel is brilliant and the beach is on your doorstep - we were a timed our visit with an invasion of Jellyfish! The beach is clean and you can book your sunbeds for the duration of your stay and just lock them every night. There was a man offering massages on the beach everyday, the police arrived every couple of days to catch him but he got away each time.

The food in the hotel is excellent, we travelled all inclusive and I can honestly say it was the best all inclusive food I have ever had (including Maldives and Mauritius)

overall the hotel is in a great location, has excellent food but quite honestly needs updating.They also need to review what they class as a sea view room

2  Thank Joanna B

Dear guest,

Thanks for spend your time writing a comment about the hotel, is very helpful for us and we will consider for the future.

We regret your disappointment with sea view rooms, but we consider in this category all rooms that are located in this face of the building.

Reviewed 16 July 2014

This was my second stay in a barcelo and it did not disappoint! Where do I start..... The food was a highlight such a variety to suit a wide range of tastes, rooms were very clean and I was pleasantly surprised with the shower usually on holiday you get stuck with a drizzly cold shower but this one was fab. The staffs English was the best but they really tried and helped with anything I needed. The location and view was by far the highlight, positively stunning view and we got picked up for trips literally 2 minutes from the hotel or a boat trip pulls up to the beach right next to the hotel! I went with my boyfriend as or first holiday together and we thoroughly enjoyed ourself the entertainment was enjoyable. Lovely hotel and area definitely recommend

• Stayed: July 2014
2  Thank Charlotteeeed94

Dear guest,

Thanks for spend your time writing a comment about the hotel, is very helpful for us because them help us to improve.

We are glad that you enjoyed your stay at Barceló Ponent Playa.

We hope to see you again.