“Very loyal hotel staff”
Review of Hotel Cala d'Or

Hotel Cala d'Or
Ranked #22 of 46 Hotels in Cala d'Or
Reviewed 23 March 2012

We come here for years. For us, it remains one of the best family 4 star hotels of the Balears. Hotel Cala d'Or and his manager señor Nicolau : they will do anything to please you

• Stayed: June 2011
3  Thank KristofVe

Reviewed 31 October 2011

We had a 5 day break here at October half term and were delighted with every aspect of the hotel. It was well kept, clean and the room we stayed in had a beautiful view over the bay. The staff were great, chatty and interested even though it was the end of the season. A fantastic hotel and we will definitely be returning.

Room Tip: We paid a little extra for a sea view and the room was superb
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
5  Thank Katie H
Reviewed 24 October 2011

I thought this hotel was still in great shape. They obviously have been maintaining it well. We were given what I think was the best room at the hotel -- a corner room on the 2nd floor with the view of the beautiful bay. Although the room wasn't large (by American standards) it was comfortable and very clean. I reminisced about my time there many years ago. This time I was with my husband and we both enjoyed being there. It is in a perfect location for walking everywhere. The pool area was well maintained and a great place to relax. The breakfast was marvelous with so many choices.

Room Tip: Corner room overlooking the Cala (bay) was the best.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
5  Thank RandaMendenhall
Reviewed 10 October 2011

We wanted a relaxing holiday before my busy time at work and chose to spend 3 nights in 2 hotels in Mallorca. The first we chose was the Hotel Cala d'Or and it was just what we needed. The only complaint I would have is one I make about just about all European hotels I have visited and that is, why do they all have pillows made of almost solid foam? Give me duck down for a comfortable night's sleep anytime. Anyway, we loved the feel of the hotel, its location, the cleanliness and the staff were as helpful as we needed them to be (not that we needed to ask much of them). We only ate breakfast in the hotel but that was plentiful and varied. The cove it is in is secluded but it is a pleasant short walk to the centre and to the marina, both with plenty of restaurants. Admittedly we went in late September but we had no problem with either the availability nor quality of the sun beds. If it were not for the number of other places we want to visit, we would definitely go back.

5  Thank Kes53
Reviewed 22 September 2011

This is a great hotel if you want a quiet holiday in the sun with easy access to the beach. We stayed by the pool (beds need improvement as lots are bust - bit lightweight for the heavier person!) Rooms are comfortable if small - we like a very cold bedroom and the aircom could have been better - not helped by a slimy mattress cover which was a bit hot!!!! Pool bar is lovely with some nice salads at lunch.. Beach bar great. Staff are wonderful and always delighted to see you - most people have been more than once - we met the same couple we chatted to last year. We do b&b as there are so many good restaurants around. in mid september sunbeds were not a problem - I am an early riser so was by the pool 7.30ish most mornings - but I stayed there! (with 20 mins for breakfast) Some beds booked well before that but they did turn up by 9.30! Only downside was the smoking everywhere - mostly non Brits - would love to see the hotel ban smoking round the pool! We christened the beds booked at dawn by our continental friends fag alley! But a great holiday and we cannot wait to go back!

Room Tip: sea view is nice - though you might have to peer round a few trees. Non sea view have evening sun b...
2  Thank Ginaberdeen
Reviewed 20 September 2011

After a really bad year we really needed to relax and chill out. We had stayed at the hotel on three other occasions years ago and having read the reviews it appeared to be up to the same high standards. We weren't disappointed, we had a lovely room, the staff were lovely and the food was great. We did have a hiccup on the first day as we were given a really pokey room with a not so good view of the sea as there was a tree in front and there wasn't a mirror in the room apart from in the bathroom (we ladies like to have a mirror and a nearby plug to do our hair!). I could not have spent a whole fortnight in this room as it was so claustrophobic and hardly had any drawers/cupboard space to put our clothes. However, when I complained about this we were able to move to a much better room without any fuss whatsoever, which was appreciated.
The food was lovely, so much choice and the same cheerful staff who had been there many years earlier. We never had a problem getting a table for dinner from 19:30 to 21:30 although it was quite quiet as it was the end of August and a lot of people ate out at the many local restaurants. We preferred to stay at the hotel as we were out sightseeing each day or trying out different beaches so didn't want the hassle of findng somewhere else to eat when we got back. At 15 euros each for what amounted to a 5 course meal you couldn't go wrong. Another thing which I thought was really nice was that people made an effort to dress for dinner, I didn't see one single person at dinner in jeans/shorts etc and I found that refreshing. We agree with another reviewer that the service wasn't as good as in previous years, it depended on where you sat!
We will definitely return to this hotel again. I don't think I could go back year after year for 20+ years but it shows how great it is when people do exactly that!
By the way, the decking around the pool was pretty poor, several people including myself, got spells in their feet but I was told that it is going to be redone for next season which is good to hear.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank HaworthHappywanderer
Reviewed 19 September 2011

This was our first time back to Majorca after 20 years and the first to Cala d'Or. We found the hotel itself charming, lots of character and none of the 'package hotel' feel which is just how we like it. The dining room was very light and spacious and the breakfast excellent and to suit all tastes from fruit, cereal, breads, cooked food and pastries, it couldn't be faulted. The location is lovely overlooking the small cove with steps down to the beach and is on a quiet road yet within a few minutes easy walk to the restaurants and shops.
We had pre requested a quiet room in the main building but in fact were given a room in the annexe. However this was different to most rooms in the annexe as it was up a small flight of steps leading to 2 rooms away from the others(601 and 602) so the quiet part had been fulfilled, the room was light and airy with a separate area with wardrobes and a large bathroom which looked newly tiled and a small balcony which got the late afternoon sun, but I heard grumbling from other guests about rooms along the corridors in the annexe and some people had asked to be moved. A few of the rooms in the main building had trees very close to the blacony and must have been quite dark. Seaview rooms don't get afternoon sun and half of the terrace round the pool was in shade by 2 pm and the rest by 5pm so there was the 'towels on sunbeds' brigade in action to some extent before breakfast.
All in all we enjoyed our stay and would probably stay there again but I think your opinion of the hotel would be coloured by the room you were given. There were many regulars who presumably knew what to ask for. I would have certianly given a higher than average rating had the rooms not been such a lottery

3  Thank lottie-grace