“8 visits and still love it”
Review of Hotel Cala d'Or

Hotel Cala d'Or
Ranked #22 of 46 Hotels in Cala d'Or
Aberdeen Scotland
“8 visits and still love it”
Reviewed 4 September 2012

Just back from our 'emergency' holiday in Cala D'Or - we gave up on the British weather and booked in July to go here in August taking our 18 year old son on a pre uni sun holiday. As ever it was great, we had a lovely room which had recently been redecorated (I had asked for a nice view and got one) and our son was just across the way in a very pleasant single overlooking the road. Good value for money - his room was just about half of ours which is very unusual - more often you are stung badly if you want a single. Breakfast maybe not quite as good as in the past - the eggs were always rather overdone - a result of cooking them in rings and trying to make perfect circles! but the ensaimadas were wonderful.
Personally I wouldn't bring 8-12 year olds here - there is simply not enough room and there were some extremely irritating ones our first day or so - yes no one has any objection to them having fun but six hours of incessant diving (not allowed) jumping and running riot was too much - even drove my 18 year old mad. The pool is not big enough and therefore no one else could swim properly. Eventually the three of us decided to swim laps - my husband is not small and my son a competetive swimmer so we got a bit of space!
Otherwise the pool is lovely, no problem getting sun beds - I am an early riser (but stay there rather than place towels and leave) but mostly beds were available most of the day.
We do not have dinner in the hotel as there are so many great local restaurants around so cannot comment on the food. But can suggest a drink at Fowlers (a few minutes walk away) followed by dinner at Meson Tipico, Vicente, Barlovento and a trip in a taxi to Bona Taula in Calonge (5 minutes and under 10 euro) Go just outside the pedestrianised zone for a quieter and more authentic dinner!

All in all a great trip, weather lovely most of the time but our last day was freezing and wet - more like our home town of Aberdeen! We will be back if not next year the year after!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Ginaberdeen

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
Yorks
Reviewed 31 August 2012

We stayed in the villa in the grounds of the hotel with our two families. The accommodation was spacious and comfortable in a great location next to the beach and within a minute or so walk to the main town centre. No need for a car really.

Self catering, but took breakfast a couple of mornings in the hotel. only downside advice is that unlike a number of villas the kitchen comes stocked with no condiments/leftovers from previous guests, so everything from salt and peppar upwards needs to be bought. A small price to pay!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank JimbobYorks
Bramhall, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 August 2012

Cant wait to return but would like a sea view next time with a big balcony.
Our rooms were lovely, cool and reasonably spacious but overlooked the little park at the rear and not the cove. Fantastic pool also made our holiday unforgettable.
We would definitely book again

• Stayed August 2012
Heswall
Reviewed 23 August 2012

We have stayed here now on three occasions and each time have found the hotel to offer a superb service. The hotel is located in a beautiful beach side location. All the staff we encountered on reception, in the bar or restaurant were friendly and professional. In particular the hotel has some nice personal touches for example the melon slices and strawberries that are brought out to residents round the pool just before lunch and the complimentary fruit bowl in the room. Small gestures maybe but representative of the overall great service offered. Also it was my birthday during our latest stay and the hotel arranged as a surprise for a bottle of Cava to be delivered to our room. We will definitely be back !

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank MarkoHeswall
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 August 2012 via mobile

Following an enjoyable stay here in 2011, we booked again for July 2012.

Everything was enjoyable, rooms nice and clean, breakfast options plentlyful as before.

Only 2 comments, last years free wifi was now chargeable, it's reception around the pool area was dire, complete waste of money, last years free wifi was far superior.

Many of the younger staff are German, some of them had little to no understanding of the Spanish language, one never even knew what a Cerveza was.

These comments aside, quite happy to stay here again and likely to do so.

Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ba319131
Clwyd
Reviewed 1 August 2012

Came across this hotel through Travel Republic and I am so glad I did. We booked a weeks holiday for me, my wife and our 13yr old son and what a fantastic hotel / location it is. We booked b&b and the morning breakfast had everything you would expect from a 4star Spanish hotel, a mix of fruit / breads / pastries / meats / cheeses / cereals not forgetting bacon / egg / mushrooms and loads more. The pool area is great with a few steps down to the beach. They also have a couple of exercise machines cross trainer and cycles for those who wish to have a cardio work out, not for me thanks as it was in the 90's. The beach is lovely and yes it gets busy but you tell me a cove that doesn't in the height of the summer. The room was ok not the biggest but we weren't spending the week in the room!!!! The pool is a little small but it never got crowded, it as a nice touch to be served complimentary fruit kebabs in the morning around the pool and frozen face cloths when the sun was at its hottest. Anyone that scores this less than 4 circles needs shooting or at least their head testing. Yes beds are a bit hard but did not spoil the holiday.

Room Tip: Odd numbers tend to look out the front and even numbers over the back towards the pool and cove.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Kn0bby
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 July 2012

My husband and I just got back from our trip to Cala D'or and really enjoyed our stay.

The first night at the hotel was a bit miserable for me as there was SO much noise. I could hear people laughing and walking around at night, and in the early morning hours I could hear what sounded like people tromping up and down stairs and moving furniture. I used earplugs the next night, but the sounds seemed to die down the rest of the trip anyway.

The room itself was pretty basic, but did have a nice side view of the ocean. The bed was hard, which I actually like, but the pillows were also very hard, which I don't like. There was only one English channel on the TV that played fuzzy BBC world news... but you're in a beautiful place so there's really no reason to watch TV anyway!

We only did B&B and the breakfast was pretty good in the morning. Nice selection of breads, meats, eggs, fruits, etc. Coffee was also quite tasty.

The pool is small and the decking a bit tired (as others have mentioned), but the nice thing was there were always a few deck chairs available so I never felt like I had to fight to get one. The beach on the other hand fills up very fast, and I went down to reserve two chairs at 8:45am each morning. You have to pay around €5 per chair, and they go fast! The beach is quite busy and noisy, so if you really want to relax I recommend taking music (or staying at the pool).

Lunches at the beach and pool bars were pretty good. Nothing special and a little bit on the expensive side, but still decent. Drinks were not too expensive, especially if you get beer.

I had a massage one day at the little spa overlooking the ocean and it was AMAZING! I have forgotten the girl's name who gave me the massage, but she was a really sweet German lady who must have magic hands. Definitely good value for money in my opinion.

The staff were absolutely delightful. We never once had a problem with them and found them all to be really friendly and accommodating. Many of the girls that work there speak German, so if you know a few words they seem to really appreciate it.

All in all a really nice stay and we would certainly go back again for a short break.

Room Tip: I would ask for an ocean view room... it was nice to have the lovely breeze come in from the balcony...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple