“No hastle holiday!”

Ranked #20 of 46 Hotels in Cala d'Or
Scotland UK
“No hastle holiday!”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Marina Skorpios hotel in Cala Egos. Good all round, 3 star all inclusive hotel. Can recommend as a great, quiet destination. Food is to a good standard and buffet is kept stocked throughout mealtimes. Carvery every evening with (on different nights) Roast beef/pork/chicken/lamb/also paella, curries, mexican. On some mornings carvery used for freshly made pancakes. Some furnishings and decor a little tired evidencing this is an older hotel, however perfectly functional in all cases. There is some improvement occurring at this time, with a new sundeck and jacuzzi having been built, however this is only available to those in superior rooms (sea view). Pool can be busy as shared with sister hotel, but the facility sits at head of Cala Egos, between the two hotels and has direct access to the lovely beach. Staff in all departments polite, courteous and efficient. Special mention for bar's staff exceptional service with a smile.
All in all good value for money holiday.
Animation team very good .

Room Tip: Obviously sea view , at a premium . As situated on a quite road there is little issue with rooms on...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank AlandSandD

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (776)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
UK
Reviewed 28 May 2014

This was our first visit to this resort. The. Hotel was lovely and clean maids went out of their way to make the place look very presentable in all areas and we were given fresh towels and beds were made every day.The rooms would benefit from Tea and Coffee making facilities and maybe a welcome pack with essentials in on arrival and a decent fridge.. the bath was a bit awkward as we had a solid shower curtain which didn't move so it was a job to fill the bath and bath the kids..
All the staff were friendly, smiling and singing some of them! (Maria) She was very good when i was poorly and asked me if i was ok and needed anything.. thanks Maria! :)

The food in the restaurant was ok, typical; AI and very repetitive between lunch and dinner..So we ate out a few times, which isn't what you want as it isn't cheap! some of the food could of been better labelled as to what it was and what was in it and it could be hot instead of luke warm. Also it could of been more tastier with added herbs and spices (as we like our spicey foods) and maybe even special themed nights would of been a good idea for variety..Not a lot of choice for kids, especially when you have a fussy one!
The manager of the restaurant was a bit strict on taking coffee cups out of the restaurant, or anything out of the restaurant, which i thought was a bit off :( I was a bit upset as she made me take my teabags out my cup then put in to a plastic cup just to go and get another proper coffee cup from the bar which i had in the first place! Also proper pint glasses would be an added bonus at the bar and also some of the drinks advertised on the menu weren't available, which was a bit annoying....Free cakes in the afternoon by the pool to have with a coffee would be a nice touch :)

Entertainment was ok, more professional shows would be good and more variety. kids club ok but a bit repetitive.. We couldn't find any information saying what was on in the kids club, or where the activities took place, just a time table for adult activities we only knew that there was a maxi club for over 9's half way through the holiday! We didn't know that the entertainment at the start of the holiday was in the sister hotel. The entertainment at night then moved to outside after a few days, which was very chilly at night especially for my little one, and would benefit from some outdoor heaters! We only found information outside the restaurant for adult activities and evening entertainment, but not where they took place! The entertainment team were very friendly with both myself and my husband and the kids in the kids club.. Activities could be a bit more varied though.. All in all a good holiday, just a few things could definitely be improved!

Room Tip: Ask for an end room with a pool view
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Kitty1978
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 May 2014

this is the second time we have been to this hotel and we really enjoyed it. we first went a few years ago with my daughter and 4 grandchildren and we had a good time.This time we took some friends that we met on holiday a few years ago in palma-nova we live in Manchester and they live in wales.they had never been to this hotel.they could not believe that having your own private little beach could be so beautiful.the food was good there was always something to eat yet you still get people complaining about it.you can get snacks by the pool bar which they have a great variety ie tuna salad baggettes ham,cheese ones,toasties,spag bol, sandwitches,burgers and chips.you didn't need to go in for lunch if you had a good English breakfast.we went on 12th may for 12 days and it did get a bit nippy at night so the entertainment at night was done at the sister hotel just a very short walk away,the only problem with the entertainment being at the other hotel if you didn't get there early you couldn't get a seat. they started the entertainment outside at the corfu on the Wednesday of are second week which was good.all the staff at the hotel were very friendy and hard working they we always on the go.may I say there was one young lady in the restaurant that never stopped I know they all were very good but I would like you to say a big thankyou to ELWIRA who was so pleasant and always smiling even when under pressure when it was busy.The rooms were cleaned every day and clean towels.we also met more friends.which I have been in touch with since we came home.we didn't have any problem with sun beds as there were plenty.there is a large area next to the pool bar with plenty of tables and chairs. well done marine corfu:s staff Margaret from manchester

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank margaret j
edinburgh
Reviewed 27 May 2014

Hotel is in a great spot & is spotless. The entertainment caters for everyone. We checked in at 2am & where offered something to eat as so as we got there. Good choice of food. Staff are great all very friendly & very hard working. Will return to this hotel as I had a great holiday

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank EdinburghDiane
Reviewed 27 May 2014 via mobile

The hotel was really nice location is beautiful, but the all inclusive food was poor the bar staff and entertainment staff were excellent very friendly most restaurant staff were friendly some of the paid entertainment was ropey to say the least and I also think hiring a car would enhance your holiday but the taxis are cheap overall it was very enjoyable I would come back

Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Cornwall, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 May 2014

My friend and I stayed here for four nights 16-20 May via alpha rooms, arriving at about 1.30 am. They checked us in fast and opened the restaurant up, where they had plated up a salad, rolls and soft drinks. Very welcomed.

The room was spotless as was all the hotel. Even 5* stars I've stayed in don't come close.
There's a fridge in the room. No water left, but you can buy a bottle from the hotel or supermarket(Litre size 55 cents) just down the road and refill it from the water coolers.

No kettle in room. I take a travel one. The coffee in the restaurant n bar is very good.

The beds are very clean with mattress protectors and changed daily.As are the towels.
Oh, take your own beach towels or just buy in the village two mins away about 8Eu each.

Theres a hair dryer in the bathroom, quiet powerful.

All the meals are very good with lots of choice. A big wow... Such choice and oh sooo tasty. We looked forward to every meal. We normally 'do' 5* Egypt,Tunisia or Caribbean, and the food wasn't a patch on here!! Vegetarian section too. We thanked the staff daily as we where so impressed. Nice for them to get positive feed back directly as they all worked so hard and always laughing and smiling going out of their way to say hello. As was all the staff, from cleaners to reception. Such nice people...

The spirits are very drinkable, again a nice change. If you want to take a bottle of spirit for your room please get it form duty free departure, as you cant get it on the plane
Or buy at the supermarket if arrival is early enough. About 9Eu for litre of vodka, equivalent to Lidl finest!!

The beach, and crystal clear water, views and pretty village of Cala Egos and Cala Dor are beautiful. Every one so friendly.
The pool bar did some of the best food I have had and all cooked fresh. well done...

The Cala Dor expess little Train/bus is 4Eu return to Cala Dor. Taxi 10Eu return.

A red bus to Caves of Drach at Porto Christo was 12Eu return and entrance 14.50 Eu. reception will give you a timetable, but there is no Sunday bus service.

The evening entertainment isn't our cuppa T,and on the one occasion we did go we found the "comedy" show quite uncomfortable.We have wicked sense of humour but this was so near the nuckle it was painful
I'll say why if you ask, but wont go into details now. If you dont want to see it don't go... Simples!!!

We had a curtsy room to shower etc on departure and kept are AI bracelet till leaving.

The front of the hotel gets morning sun, but can be noisy due to deliveries. We paid 18Eu for the remaining 3 days to move pool side. Quiet. But balcony walls are concrete so if you can sleep with some noise, save your money your view is the same. Though poolside room gets evening sun till 8pm ish.

If I had to give negative comments they are,
Solid balcony walls,meaning no lovely view unless you stand. Vary bad design and a shame.
Evening dining times 7-9pm would be nice to extend to 10pm as we are used to eating later on holiday
Free sun beds on the beach.
Bearing in mind this is a 3* I have given a rating of 4/5 and only reluctantly didn't give it 5/5

Thank you for a very enjoyable break, My hubby n me are already booked for Sharm in July and Egypt for Xmas but I will visit again. Hopefullly with him next time too.

Thanks Pam and Jenny

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
6 Thank CornishPastieAlemap
St Helens, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 May 2014 via mobile

This hotel is situated in a little exclusive bay, it's very clean and the staff seem to work hard.

We checked in at 2 am in the morning as a family consisting of 2 adults a 16 year old and a 13 year old, the room allocated is simply not suitable for our family. It's basically a twin or double room with two additional beds thrown in, it's difficult to move around the room

I am informed that it does not meet Spanish Fire regulations but I need to confirm this on my return to the uk

I requested a bigger room and was informed from manager Nicholas that I would have to pay an additional charge of 50 euro per night. I got my travel agent involved who offered alternative accommodations which we chose to decline after viewing them. I tried to secure a different hotel for the remainder of my stay but unfortunately they could not cover the remainder of our trip

Today Saturday my wife is not feeling to well, the room and beds are not that comfortable so we tried to sit in the top balcony on the comfortable sun lounges, amazingly these are reserved for superior sea view guests and if we want to use them it's 50 euros a day

Beds on the beach are 5 euro

Entertainment is reasonable some nights good some poor

Food Very Basic We manage to have toast and eggs for breakfast , lunch a toastie or sandwich. The main meals are poor and lack taste or seasoning so we eat out every evening

It's a great location, but if you require comfort and good food you will be disappointed in this property

It should be made clear at time of booking that these rooms are simply not suitable for a family.

Also if they served better quality food and sorted the room issues they could attract a better Rate

Overall verdict Good Value Definitely Not