“pleasantly surprised”

PrimaSol Cala d'Or Gardens
Ranked #35 of 46 Hotels in Cala d'Or
Reviewed 2 August 2012

Just got back from a 7 night stay at cala d'or Gardens (25th july - 1st Aug) and would like to say how surprised i am at what it had to offer.
The pool area was huge and there is always a life guard on duty .The area around the pool has loads of shaded areas under palm trees if being in direct sunlight isn't your thing and the sun bed situation isn't as bad as people have said but yes you could do with being up in the morning to grab one. The life guard does go round every so often and dump towels off the beds which haven't been used for hours.
The entertainment is done by dutch students which must seriously do 14 hr days with only one night off. They are always around the pool area and constantly trying to get people involved in sports and things.Come the night time entertainment, the same group have to do the programme having to mime the words to songs, laughable really but they do try their best.
Regards the food and drinks, we went all inclusive and the only complaint i have is that the beer must have been watered down as it is nearly see through and there is no way i could have drunk that much at home and not been on my back. The staff in the restaurant were very polite and did their job, as were the bar staff who never had you waiting for more than a minute for a drink.
TIPS/NOTES
Do visit the marina
Do get up early if you want a spot around the pool
Watch the walk way around the pool, watched 7 people in 1 day fall down a slight hill with wet feet.
A safe in your room will set you back 32 euro none refundable for the week
On check out of your room 12:00pm, there are no facilities to shower or change if your not getting picked up till the evening. not great and the desk staff couldn't give a monkeys.
WIFI is 5 euro for 24hrs
Taxi's are a set rate of 5.50 or 6 euro in to Cala d'or depending on time of day
A pool view although nice can get noisy and not so private.

ALL IN ALL I WOULD RECOMMEND THIS HOTEL TO ANYONE AS A BUDGET ALL INCLUSIVE

Room Tip: pool views can be noisy and not very private
8  Thank Geoff W

Reviewed 23 July 2012

I recently stayed at this hotel and was slightly worried previous to going from reading the reviews but i cannot stress what a good time we had. All the entertainment was done if not attempted in english and the entertainers themselves were very friendly and spoke to lots of people after the act had finished at 11pm. The sun loungers were not a struggle to get as long as your not lazy and get up before 9am and they were not uncomfortable without a lilo on as many people suggested as we just used our towels. The pool is lovely and the food is great even for fussy eaters. It isnt far into Cala D'or and is a lovely walk around the marina however on very warm days i would recommend the train which goes right outside the hotel. Cala Egos is great and has everything you need on your door step including a Spar if you want any home comforts. The bar is open till 11 and they have most drinks that people would like and you can get at least 4 per person. I would recommend this hotel to anyone as we had a great time here and would go back here again.

Room Tip: Defiantly go all inclusive
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Emma J
Reviewed 23 July 2012

My friend and I were looking for a relaxing and peaceful break away but it wasn't to be at this hotel! It was more like a holiday camp for kids! Considering it wasn't the summer holidays, the place was packed with kids and there was constant kiddy entertainment- all day until late!

The hotel itself was nice with clean rooms and we had a huge balcony- but unfortunately it overlooked the annoying 24/7 kids entertainment team. There are no hairdryers in the rooms- you have to rent these per day from reception. Also we had huge problems with the A/C- after several times to the help-desk they told us our a/c was working but it wasn't so after some self-investigating I found the a/c trip switch in a hidden box (which was off). The staff were friendly and the food was very good, with lots of options. The swimming pool is massive but you have to get up early to get sun-beds as they get taken very early! On our last day we had to check out of our room by 12, even though our flight wasn't until 9pm and we had asked for a late check-out but this wasn't allowed which was disappointing.

The nearby 'beach' is tiny nice for a change, and the Cala Egos the little town is a 5 minute stroll from the hotel with plenty of shops and restaurants. As the hotel entertainment was predominately aimed at children, we ended up going into town most nights just to avoid it (SO glad we didn't get all inclusive!). Cala D'or is a good 30 minute walks so I would recommend a taxi (6 euros) but the town is pretty much the same as Cala Egos- just a bit more pricey and busier.

Room Tip: Ask for a balcony
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Katyblobs
Reviewed 22 July 2012

My hubby and I just got back from a 9 day stay half bored,
Staff... Helpfull friendly and we got buy with not speaking Spanish and they did there best with English .
Food.. Lots of it lots of choice repeated every 3 days, but enough to choose from to make it varied, tasty , salads, chicken, fish, pork, beef, pizza, chips, diff kinds pots, pasta,
Beaky, yummy bacon, sausages diff kinds of eggs, cold meats pastrys, cerial juice tea coffee, all included in breakfast, half bored you pay for drinks EVEN water at eve meal, this was out only down point. You could upgrade for €10 pppday to all inclusive .
Rooms.. Basic clean safe shower perfect for somewhere to sleep and shower, shower was good.what else do you need your on holiday why spend your time in your room.
I asked for an extra pillow and had one brought to my room with in 30mins. Room cleaned not to 100% but cleaned clean towels if you left them jn a heap in the bath, bed made but not changed every day.
Overall areas.. Clean tidy if a little odd decor ( but that's just me) main thing it was clean and fresh.
Pool.. Looked nice split level .. Not enough beds.. We didn't bother to get up at crack of dawn to get one as we like the beach more.. It looked packed when we came back early one day, with smaller children around British kids hadn't broken from school, but the pool looked nice and clean.
Our flight was later had to be out of room by 12 they had no room for us to use later to get shower or change, couldn't keep our rm on as hotel was full Infact told it was over full, was told we could use showers round the pool, we just used loos to get wash n change. Not ideal, but it worked.
Area... Cala egos is a 20 to 15 min walk to the harbour area n cala dor nice walk, Also little train €2 each one way pick up out side hotel at reg times.. Or taxi is set price of € 6 bit more later at night, we walked or train there taxi back if legs hurt lol..
Two nice small beach near by, sun lounger x2 with shade was € 12 per day. Great snorkelling lots of fish , take bread to feed them:).
Cal egos street lots if nic nak shops, spar places to drink/ eat. If you want a bit more husslle n bustle walk to cala dor .
Beaches clean look out for the fruit man, yummy fresh pineapple €4 for half.
Car hire.. Two days cost us € 100.. Well worth it had a soft top fiat 500, found to amazing beaches one called trenc was like a paradise beach other was a little harder to find .recomend going to the mountains to watch the sun set, little scary with the bendy narrow road and sheer drops,
Over all we had a FANTASTIC holiday our aim is to get a clean hotel, good food, nice area, and working shower all at a cheap ish price we got this and great tan :) .. It's what you make it,
Have a happy safe holiday .

• Stayed: July 2012
6  Thank Funnymo
Reviewed 20 July 2012

Just returned from cala dor gardens (12th-19 July) all inclusive. Travelled as a family, my child was aged over 3yrs.Cab from Palma airport to Cala Egos(73 euros and takes 50 min) as did not want to stop at every hotel to drop everyone off by coach when you got little ones who are very tired, we arrived in the evening and had to queue for a cab but did not take long as they come very quick, (quite a nice drive) first impressions was good when we checked in.

We stayed in room 8202 (first floor)near the top end of the pool, and near the mini club and the little kids park,the room was nice and spacious and very very clean, which over looked the pool, also we had air conditioning in the room which was a god send, and there was blackout curtains which was a plus. Maid comes in everyday and makes the beds and changes the towels, she changed them once not sure if she changed them after that but that does not matter really as who changes there beds 4 times in one week anyway. Overall the complex is really pretty, loads of palm trees nice big pools, grounds and garden are kept very well. There is definitely a shortage of sun beds, unless you are up by 8.30 to grab one, as there are loads of Germans there, and they do get in first!!! This did not bother us, as we just found a bit of shade under the palm trees and plonked our towels there as it is very hot for the little ones.

Restaurant - breakfast, 7.30 -10.30 this was ok, they did cereals,scrambled, boiled,fried eggs German sausages,beans ,hash browns.different pastries and fruit. Juice and coffee and tea

Lunch- 12.45-14.00 this was a good selection from chicken, different kinds of fish, lamb,pork,pasta,rice,chips salads cold meats and cheese,soup. Different cakes,pastries,ice creams,jelly,cream caramel,toffee mouse(lovely).

Dinner- 18.30-20.30 similar as above really. I will say that not a variety for little ones, they did have pasta every night but different pasta shapes! I personally preferred the lunch time better than the dinner.

Entertainment- this is very poor, it's a mish mash from different musicals,animation team are mainly Dutch, it's actually laughable, so go venture out of this hotel as I did get bored in the evening.they need to pay for proper entertainment like singers or something.

Mini club- 11-12 and 3-4 Poor, all they did was colouring, and played with a wooden box trying to get the counters into the hole,there was other stuff in there trolly which looked more fun but they could not be bothered as it seemed that they just wanted to play with one thing for an hour. After 20 min my child got bored and wanted to play in the park.

Cala Egos itself is about 5-10 min walk and is a lovely little resort with plenty of bars shops and restaurants, which in my opinion I'd of rather have gone here every night rather than listen to the poor animation team, just mime to grease,Annie,rocky horror picture show.

Beach is between two hotels scorpios/Corfu which is right next door to cala door gardens. It's only small but it's lovely.

EXCURIONS- I do recommend going on the Starfish Coast Discovery glass bottom boat,journey time is only 2.15min perfect for 3-11 yrs and we all loved it, it takes you to all different coves/beaches and then it anchors for 30mins for a swim in the turquoise waters,you can get snacks and drinks on board.sit upstairs as its open air to enjoy the lovely views.

YELLOW TRAIN- You can pick this up opposite the hotel and it takes you into the Marina,Cala Dor it's 2 euros each and a great way to see things, my son liked this.Pick up a leaflet at reception for train times. Don't ask reception about the train because on more than one occasions they gave me wrong information.

BAD POINTS - A lot of the staff do not speak English.......Waiters in restaurant tend to whip your plate of food away if you have got up to get a drink,this happened on more than one occasion, so make sure one person stays at the table! .........Animation/Entertainment poor.......I tried to extend my room as my flight was in the evening, but was told this was not possible. This is a very busy hotel and I was speaking to a couple who was ment to stay here, but this hotel was over booked and sent them somewhere else for 4 days but did finally manage to get on the complex. So be aware.

TIPS - if you need a cab to Palma airport, let the hotel call you one as this worked out at 65 euros and it's a people carrier.highly recommend.

If you have booked self catering, you can still get all inclusive, as the hotel charges 10 euros per person per day. Well worth the money.

Sorry this review is a bit long but I hope it's been helpful.

Ps. Thank you to the maid who cleaned our room,she works so hard.I would recommend this hotel.

Happy holiday :)

Room Tip: Try and get a room over the restaurant or bar area ,as the balconies looked a lot bigger, although c...
15  Thank Dawnj1
Reviewed 20 July 2012

I can't agree with any of the negative comments. I have spent a beautiful week at Cala d'or Gardens hotel with my family and all of us were extremely happy with this hotel, location, food, beaches and everything.
I would like to say that when people are complaining that hotel staff can't speak English, I have a tips for them-LEARN SPANISH! NOTTINGH STOP YOU FROM LEARNING SPANISH! YOU ARE IN SPAIN!!!!! And from my experience all staff speak very good English and we haven't got a problems with communication at all!!!!!!.Cala D'or Gardens is very clean hotel, cleaning staff very nice and approachable if you need anything. Food is really good and fresh. Every day you have a selection of fresh fruits, vegetables, deserts, cold and hot food and drinks. The pool is so beautiful and it is not open from 10.30 as sais below. It is just miss understanding because the guard /lifeguard is available at the pool at 10.30 but you can swimm from 8am. The grass around the pool makes you feel very natural, not like somwhere where everything is betoned like in Honk Kong. So great great and more time absolutely brilliant place to stay.

2  Thank Karla27England
Reviewed 16 July 2012

Well I visited Cala d'Or Gardens just a week ago and must say I am not impressed at all with this hotel. At first sight the hotel seems a delight.. check-in was good, there are two pools both of great size, and very clean, and plenty of sunbeds around. However the pool water is extremely cold, and unlike normal pools you do not warm up to it (you feel cold as you remain in the pool). Despite a good number of sunbeds, people are not allowed to reserve sunbeds. Pool opens at 10.30- if you reach there at 10.30 i'm afraid you will most likely have to get a spot on the grass near the pool.. and i can tell you from personal experience this is not comfortable at all. muddy feet, muddy towels, hard ground. To make this even worse, the entertainment is certainly not good enough for a supposedly 4 star hotel. The animation team were still preparing acts, and evening shows were terrible.. a true lack of daytime entertainment (poor choice of songs played at a very minimal level, and one or two games in the day). The hotel nearby had excellent entertainment (you could hear it from this hotel!.. fantastic music, fantastic staff.. so be sure to check hotels our near this one).
Food choice is terrible. You may enjoy it the first night, but the lack of variety and repetition of food everyday will surely sicken you. If you are vegetarian I advise you to please not go here at all as hotel staff expect you to eat salad and chips everyday. We had accidently eaten beef (food items are not clearly labelled if they include meat or not), and staff there don't seem to know what vegetarian means! Also, if you are going halfboard expect to pay for TEA in the morning!! Absolutely ridiculous.
And if you encounter a problem at the hotel and you are english, please don't expect any help from the staff... most lack an understanding of english!
Other comments: In the middle of the day once, water supply had stopped to everyone midday due to an apparent broken water pipe. Later in the day water supply had started, and water had come out yellow!!
Cleaner was very nice but did forget to change our towels daily. Also, bedsheets are not changed daily. We had ours changed about every 4 days (if that).
The location of the hotel is good. It is close-by to a small town which contains many souvernier shops, and a supermarket, and very close to a small beach.
We were very unhappy with this hotel because from previous reviews and the hotels information we expected to have a fantastic experience here. However from my experience, I would never come here again. please carefully research any hotel you go to thoroughly so you are not dissapointed on arrival.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends