“Honest Review - brilliant holiday”
Review of SENTIDO Tucan

SENTIDO Tucan
Ranked #15 of 46 Hotels in Cala d'Or
Reviewed 19 June 2013

Firstly if like to address some of the negative reviews seen here on trip advisor for this hotel. It's something we looked at before departing for our holiday and was worried to say the least.

*Carpets being dirty

Most reviews mention the carpets, and yes they are a little grubby but only in the corridors on the way to your room and I have seen a lot worse. (This is no biggie in our opinion)

*food (all inclusive)

The food in my opinion was average which is what I have come to expect from all inclusive deals. I always found something I could eat every night and in comparison to other all inclusive iv had the pleasure of dinning at this was defiantly one of the better ones. But still even if the food was the absolute best. You don't want to be eating here 100% of the time anyway there are far to many nice restaurants around to take advantage of.

*staff

I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw comments on the staff and that they were nothing less than incredible. I don't know what planet some people are on. All of the staff were exceptional always happy and eager to have a conversation with you. Much more than there just to serve you. They couldn't do enough for you. My only regret is I didn't learn all of their names but pedro at the bar & the lifeguard were great. Pedro does some crazy hours he's always working but he's always happy to have a laugh and joke with the guests. So if you have read reviews about bad staff, please ignore them. These guys and girls are a credit to this establishment.

That's the bad reviews addressed now here's my 2cents on the entire experience of our holiday.

Firstly me and my fiancé arrived on the 13th June. The Thomas cook brouche stated that transfers from the airport would take an hour and a half. So we were very surprised when we arrived at our hotel in 45mins. As soon as we walked through the door, all the doubts that ha gathered due to these bad reviews were washed aside. It looked really nice and welcoming. We were promptly dealt with by reception and got the card for our room. We headed up to the room and again everything was fine. The room was spotless aircon and a fan, mini fridge and a nice little balcony. Bathroom was sparkling white and the shower was beautiful. (I can only pick at the shower tray was abit shallow so no matter how careful you are you will get water on the floor. But that is nothing a towel won't fix). There is a nice 32" plasma on the wall which is very new and is great if you feel like an early night.(we took some films on a USB stick, plugged straight into the tv and played)

Like some reviews have stated there is a lot of older guests at the hotel. But why that's a problem I'm not so sure. Yes if your looking for a hotel where you can just get absolutely hammered and rave until 7am then this is not for you. But me and my fiancé are in our mid 20's and just wanted a relaxing place to come and this was perfect for it. The older guests are great, the amount of people you get talking to you it's great and they love a good drink just as much as the next person. And if you decide you want a more wild night you can always head out once the all inclusive bar is closed at 11, cala dor has loads of bars some of which are open to silly am if you feel the need.

The pool was amazing, being an adult hotel you don't have worry about some 11 year old dive bombing on your head. Just have a nice swim good to cool off when you can't stand the heat on the loungers anymore. We have found there always to be adequate number of sun loungers. Yes people reserve them with towels. I don't care where you go someone find me a place this doesn't happen I for one don't have a problem with it. Gives you a reason to get up for breakfast in the morning.

There's a spa which is very nice. We used the jacuzzi many times could sit in there for hours with a hangover. You can book a masargr at an additional cost I didn't try it but it looked good. They have a massive sauna you can use if you let reception know about 20 mins in advanced as to give them time to turn it on. The gym was good lots of machines and weights to use if your use to a daily workout.

The pool table is abit shoddy it's in direct sunlight so on a hot day playing pool can be like playing pool on a hot plate, but it's good at the night time for a laugh.

Table tennis aswell which is always a laugh.

You get complimentary wifi from reception. You'll want to get one piece of paper per device. It times out pretty quickly so that everyone can have a decent connection. So you'll only get wifi when your using your phone not when it's just sat in your pocket. The wifi speed is limited per user so sorry but you won't be able to watch YouTube videos or FaceTime to easily unfortunately. But that's standard really you have to share wifi between all the guests so its the best way to manage it.

Snack bar was good because its all made fresh so you don't have to contend with food just left out all day. And they keep the fridge stocked with sandwiches and icecreams if you need to grab a quick something on the way out.

Again staff are very friendly and hard working. Pedro at the bar is a top guy and the life guard is always very chatty. All the staff in general are brilliant and make this place lovely.

Bar is very well stocked my mrs enjoyed all the different cocktails while I enjoyed the beer and difitent spirits. All very nice and unlike the usual cheap tasting stuff these all inclusive places offer.

Location couldn't get any better there is literally everything around you. Bars / restaurants the beach is a 50 second stroll from the hotel and there is another one further walk down. I recommend hiring a pedlo for 15 euros was great way to experience the sea if your legs are up to it.

The marina is not far and definatly worth a visit seen some huge yachts and boats and the restaurants there are very good. You can even hire your own motorised boat without a boat license for 75 euro. Or multiple boat trips like glass bottom boat / speed boat ride / banana boat ride etc

It's worth talking to your rep if you book with Thomas cook they can sort out loads of excursions which are a bit far out. Like the water park etc they have busses that leave from just behind the hotel. And aqua park is a good day out!

The entertainment is on every other night. Sometimes is good sometimes it's cheesey but what the hell it's a laugh no matter what and if its not your cup of tea. Stay for a little while make use of the all inclusive bar and head out into cala dor. There is a lovely bar I forget the name but you can order a fish bowl for two for 15 euro and have a drink while admiring all the exotic birds.

All in all, please don't be put off by any bad reviews. If your looking for a relaxing holiday in the sun this place is the ticket.

I would reccommend it to anyone. And I would return again. However we will be bringing our 2 year old next holiday so wouldn't be able to stay here but it is brilliant!!!!

Thanks again to all the staff and people that made our holiday great we have taken some great memories home with us :)

• Stayed: June 2013
9  Thank Cappilio
HotelManagementTucan, Izabela Janowicz Relaciones Publicas at SENTIDO Tucan, responded to this reviewResponded 24 June 2013

Thank you very much for your wonderful review. We are so glad to hear you enjoyed your holidays with us. Our main aim is to ensure your satisfaction in our hotel. We do appreciate your comments. We will tell it to all the staff in order to keep us motivated to carry on! Pedro was special congratuleted. Again, our most sincere thanks. Looking forward to greeting you in the future at our hotel.

There are newer reviews for SENTIDO Tucan

Reviewed 16 June 2013

The first i was happy hotel was open... we stay 5 days in another 4* hotel before and than in 3* hotel after visit Tucan and must say that this hotel was the worst. I gave one point to early check in thanks recepcionist and one point to location Cala D Or is perfect. room ok, good bathroompool view ok, but the smell from cigarettes makes me vomit... I cant sleep for the first night we asked recepcionist to help maybe they did something but the smell disapears after 2 days... the food was terrible better to choose indian rest. hotel need completly renovation! old doors, better to take off carpets they were dirty, cleanless in the room one day ok one day not depends on the person... old sunbeds ok but disgusting matress brr pls put it into waste!!! my feelings from the hotel are not good so much to improve, lifts, i have bad feelings from staff they look tired and very unhappy maybe they missing more staff... recepcionist were ok must say, and this is just tip if you are under 35 dont go :-) unless you would like to get older sooner, summary - accomondation ok view but food alnd overal feelings bad

2  Thank silwya99
HotelManagementTucan, Izabela Janowicz Relaciones Publicas at SENTIDO Tucan, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2013

Thank you for your review, For the positive comments that our staff took into consideration and measures were taken to improve the situation. We work very hard at achieving client satisfaction, we appreciate client feedback as this allows us to better the service and make our guests' stay as enjoyable as it can be.

Reviewed 15 June 2013

Returned home on 13th june after spending 10 days at the tucan hotel in cala d or, the hotel was nice and clean and so was our room, yes the stains on the carpets looked terrible and the entertainment was a bit old fashioned shall we say, the food was average and i did not think that there was a good selection for vegetarians, the sun beds and umbrellas were reserved with towels from 8 am every morning usually by the same guests and the management or staff ignored this even though there was a notice asking guests not to reserve beds with towels. We paid an extra £120 to have a room with sea view, but, the seaview is obscured by trees, therefore, how can thomas cook justify charging for a seaview room, even after moving us to another room we still did not have a good seaview. Our room also faced onto the street which was noisy at night especially from the entertainment from the hotel opposite, at least they had good entertainment by the sound of it and it was every night. Flat screen tv only english speaking channels were bbc news and sky news, as i had been unwell for a few days it would have been nice to watch something other than the news in english while i was trying to recover, therefore, i dont see the point in having a tv in the rooms for british guests. The hotel is in a very good position central for everything, but, i do think some changes need to be made to bring this hotel up to the 4 star grade, i think this hotel caters more for the elderly guests and i think it is excellent accomodation for the elderly guests and they all looked liked they were having a ball, my husband and i are under 60 years of age so this hotel is not for us and for this reason we will not return, Thomas cook should make this clear in their brochure that this hotel is for adults only, but for elderly adults.

Room Tip: Get a room over the pool.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
HotelManagementTucan, Izabela Janowicz Relaciones Publicas at SENTIDO Tucan, responded to this reviewResponded 16 June 2013

Thank you very much for taking your time and writing about us. As hotel for adults only we have young customers that do not have children yet or parents with children grown enough to leave them at home alone. Measures were taken to improve the situation. We appreciate client feedback as this allows us to better the service and make our guests' stay as enjoyable as it can be.

Reviewed 14 June 2013

The Tucan hotel is in an unbeatable location, right in the town and next to the Cala Gran beach. This hotel is tremendous value for money, what you get is fantastic staff, great food, very clean rooms, lovely pool area, overall a brilliant hotel.
The staff are the friendliest I have ever come across and will do anything for you, they really do aim to please.
The food is very good and is buffet style. Breakfasts are the usual fare, full English, or continental. The meats they have can be delicious, for example sometimes there is slow roasted lamb or pork on the bone or large joints being carved as required. Some of the fish is really good too. There is a section where food is cooked freshly in front of you. For vegetarians there is a wide variety, the best I enjoyed being the fresh asparagus cooked on a hot plate.
The rooms are comfortable and very clean all with air conditioning and balcony. If you have a preference for a pool or sea view (only a few of these) let the reception staff know in advance and from my experience they will do their best to accommodate you. Further, there is no extra charges for pool/sea views.
The pool area has plenty of sun-loungers with an adjacent pool bar from which you can get snacks and drinks of course. Also there are plenty of umbrellas, needed if you like shade as the whole area gets the sun. The reception has towels for hire for 2 Euros.
Next to the pool is a Spa and Gym which look nice but I haven't used it.
I cannot believe some of the nasty, negative recent reviews that have been posted. The hotel is not perfect, is anywhere? I just don't know what some people expect, particularly for the price they have paid. Admittedly, the carpets could do with a bit of a clean, but they are not in the bedrooms and some of the food, the odd item may not be piping hot. These points seem to be of tremendous issue to some people, but they are minor in comparison with the good points this hotel has to offer.
There are many people, including us, that visit year after year (of all nationalities). Would we and all the others do so if this hotel was not up to scratch? On this visit I talked to lots of people (I do like to talk) I did not meet anyone that was not happy with the place. In fact one lady said that reading the bad reviews had made her ill with worry for the two days before she came on holiday and when she arrived she was so relieved that the hotel was nothing like the bad comments had portrayed.
So please do not make too much of the negative comments, Cala D'or is a magical little town go and enjoy!!

Room Tip: Odd numbered rooms mostly have pool view and get the evening sun. Even ones at the back looking tow...
2  Thank Equity365
HotelManagementTucan, Izabela Janowicz Relaciones Publicas at SENTIDO Tucan, responded to this reviewResponded 15 June 2013

Thank you very much for your wonderful, honest review. It is a pleasure for us to have guests like you, which are coming many years to Hotel Tucan.
We are always doing our best to satisfy our guest’s needs. Feedback like yours is making our work much enjoyable. We are looking forward to see you next year at Hotel Tucan enjoying your holidays in Cala D´or.

Reviewed 13 June 2013

The reviews we read before going to this Hotel had us all very worried about what to expect all I can honestly say is the hotel was immaculate, the staff were very friendly and would go that extra bit to look after us. Food was varied and very nice (although could have been a little hotter on occassion). We had a lovely room with a great view over the pool which was also nice well kept and clean. The area is right in the centre of all the bars and restaurants and the beach is only a couple of minutes walk away. The hotel had entertainment a couple of nights during our week and it was of a good standard. Rooms were cleaned every day with fresh towels every morning. I would have no problem going back next year and indeed probably will.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family

First of all thank you very much for taking your time for sharing your experience in Hotel Tucan. It has been a really detailed comment! We really appriciate your rewiev. We look forward to see you back again at Hotel Tucan!

Reviewed 13 June 2013

After reading previous reviews on this hotel, we were somewhat very nervous as to what to expect. I can honestly say, that upon our arrival all our worries were dispelled. The Hotel was clean and the rooms lovely. We travelled with another couple and had rooms next to each other overlooking the beautiful pool, which we made very good use off. The staff were all very polite and attended to our every needs.
The hotel is situated very close to the beach, and there are many restaurants close by.
We would not hesitate in returning again next year.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank thephairs
HotelManagementTucan, Izabela Janowicz Relaciones Publicas at SENTIDO Tucan, responded to this reviewResponded 14 June 2013

Thank you very much for taking your time and writing a rewiew. Good feedback from clients certainly makes our job a lot easier and more enjoyable! On behalf of all our staff we would like to thank you for your wonderful review and recommendation, we are very happy that you enjoyed your break with us! We look forward to see you back again!

Reviewed 11 June 2013

We have just returned home after having 11 nights at the Tucan. I cannot believe the last 3 reviews on this hotel. Ok the carpets could do with updating I don't deny but the pluses are that the hotel is central to everything, could not be better. My husband and I enjoyed the food and neither of us had a Spanish tummy. The menu was varied. The staff were always polite and friendly. The rooms were clean and the maids were in everyday. Yes we have been in better hotels but you pay a lot more and hey you don't stop in the hotel 24/7. Well I have to say we enjoyed it.

8  Thank IsabellaRuby

Thank you very much for your feedback. It a plesure for us to read your review. Our staff is working hard every day and we really appreciate your words. We are looking forward to see you back at Hotel Tucan, enjoying your holidays!