“Do not go all inclusive !!!”
Review of Hotel Cala Ferrera

Hotel Cala Ferrera
Ranked #30 of 46 Hotels in Cala d'Or
London, United Kingdom
“Do not go all inclusive !!!”
Reviewed 16 July 2014

We spend 4days in this hotel, nothing special , we went all inclusive but it does not worth it at all . Breakfast is ok but lunch and dinner are terrible !! Just one option of fish or meat , we didn't like it and we are not fussy at all ...
You should pay for sea view because it's amazing !! rooms don't have air con and you have to pay for a remote control and safe . The location is good with a nice beach near by . Lots of shops ,restaurant and bars few minutes walking distance.
Service is average , depends with who you talking , bar guys are fine and the old lady at reception cut ours wrist band as soon she figure out we staying a bit more after check out , unless you pay 15 euros per person !!! Never happen with us before lololololol
Evening entertainment is a joke as internet is . Half hour 1 euro
Cala dor is an amazing place , rent a car and explore around the area like we did , stay at this hotel if you find a very good deal bed & breakfast if not choose another one .
Have a lovely holiday

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (196)
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Barnoldswick, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 July 2014

I was so anxious before I booked this holiday as I was taking my 3 daughters aged 8,3 and 8 mth. I looked on here and read a few reviews but thought who actually writes a review on a holiday..... Well after this holiday I thought I definitely needed to write this so nobody else had to put there family through what we did.
We arrived at the hotel at around 1pm we got told our room wasn't ready as they didn't know we had a baby. The room they put us in was on the top floor as you opened the door it banged into a cot. We had to all squeeze past to enter the room. There was a rusty bunk bed which wasn't safe to put any of my children in. There was a tiny cupboard to put clothes in NO plug sockets or mirror. I asked the very unhelpful lady on reception and she said this was the only room available. I then asked a lady about the food on my way back to the room and she said you won't starve!! I couldn't believe it. We left our cases packed went for a walk and booked into the hotel next door. I couldn't spend a week in the run down hotel. We checked out and the man on reception said he gets it every day it is not a family hotel...! We booked into next door ferrerablanca which was lovely and had a fantastic week. Just wanted to write this as we lost the first day of our holiday moving with 3 little 1s in tow= stressful start.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Smithers541

Travellers are raving about these Cala d'Or hotels

Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 July 2014

Not long back from a week at Cala Ferra Hotel, Please do not book with Low Cost Holidays very unhelpful with my booking. The woman behind the desk at the hotel were so unhelpful and had a attitude problem. Low Cost Holidays give it a 4 star I think they need review this the food was dreadful and the interior of the holiday was old fashoned. We had to eat out a few nights to get some decent food. If you are offered any rooms on the side that looks over to the the lovely Roc Hotel asked to be moved. We were woken every morning at 1.00pm with them emptying the bins. Could this not have been done during the day when guest's were out. I have never been to a hotel that has a wooden door to go on the balcony and no air conditiong the rooms were too hot at night. I would never come back to this hotel you would have to pay me to go and nor would I book with low cost holiday certain people need better training on customer service and should update themselves on product knowledge before selling it to a customer.

Reviewed 7 July 2014

staff very mixed, some were extremely helpful and others were very rude, a short guy with black hair and glasses said he didn't care and refused water when my boyfriend almost chocked on a bit of plastic found in his ice cream.

rooms clean and sea view was gorgeous, great location, just really upset about their poor customer service and the meat served on the buffet often seemed under cooked, poor variety of food for vegetarians. I highly recommend bed and breakfast if you stay here.

Room Tip: must get a sea view
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

I came here with my girlfriend for 10 days (half board), just to get away not expecting it to be the best in the world but still quit good because of the reviews! You cannot fault the location it is right next to the beach, resteraunts, clubs and bars. We had a room on the top floor overlooking the sea which was beautiful (you have to pay extra for this, which I would recommend)! But then for us this is where the positives end.

1. Staff-

There is an older women who works behind the main reception sometimes who was lovely and helpful in everyway, she was very approachable and happy to help at anytime! There were also two younger women who worked in the resteraumt bit who were helpful and just cheerful. The cleaners on the 5th floor (where we stayed) were lovely and friendly, but I don't know about the other floors as we weren't staying on them.

Then it goes very downhill from there:

On our first night in the resteraunt we were having drinks because we were half board we knew that outside the resteraunt you had to buy drinks from the bar which is no problem at all! But when we were having our evening buffet meal we very rudely and abruptly told off for having a glass of very small water from the drinking machine and they told us unless you are all inclusive you would have to pay (4 euros). We were told by a very small horrible rude man who wears glasses you can't miss him, by far the rudest and most unfriendly miserable person. So watch out!! But this made no sense to us, because at breakfast we could have as much drink as we wanted as I had been accustomed too, having been half board many times before at different hotels in many different countries! It turns out you can have drinks at breakfast but at tea you have to pay for any drinks you want, which was a first time for us unless all inclusive!

Then our eighth night whilst have tea again, I was having ice cream and I choked on a piece of plastic there coughing and spluttering. So we told the women (old miserable women also not friendly) she could barely speak English, she told us to sit back down and would come back to us. She went to the kitchen with the plastic and then eventually came back out walked straight past us and carried on fixing her table the other side of the room. Completely ignoring us and acting as if nothing had happened, so I waited a minute to see if anyone was coming back over like she said she would. But I ended up going over to her and before I said anything she turned around said sorry and walked past me!
So I had to follow her and said I need to speak to someone that can speak English because that isn't good enough at all. Funny enough we had the small guy who wears the glasses and black hair again come speak to us, and said straight away what do you want us to do about it! It's not our fault and then started walking off as if that was the end of it, I then told how unacceptable it was and if a child had choked on it (and there a lot of children there as it's mainly a family hotel !!) are you going to say it's not my or anybody's problem, because a parent would be very angry and not calm like I am being now. He just shrugged his shoulders and said you can have some water then but no other drinks or you will have to pay! So I said fine and I need to speak to your manager (head waiter, bald older guy), but he wasn't in till the next day! I ended up having three very small glasses of water, and then had the cheek to come up to me and said two glasses is fine but three is too much and I should pay! I told him he must be having a laugh seeing as I choked on some plastic and you've told me I can only have some water to compensate me. He then just walked off!
The next evening we saw the head waiter (bald older guy) our friend with the glasses had the day off that day! We told him what had happened and his response was, what do you want me to do about it, so I told him are seriously going to say that if a four year old child had choked on that, and the child's parents are standing here now instead because they would be absolutely fuming if told them what you just told me! He then said fine you can have free drinks from the bar, and for you last day which we took and then left us. Nothing else was done about it nor about the rude disgusting little waiter with the glasses.
Then our last day even though we were meant to be having free drinks all of the staff wouldn't let us have it even though we were supposed too. By this point we didn't even bother complaining again because it was our last day and decided to enjoy it out!

2. Hotel-

The hotel itself is clean and tidy some of it could do with renovating and just a bit of TLC. The rooms are clean and tidied everyday, there is no air con in the rooms and the only air con you can get is a fan for reception which you have to pay for (just leave your balcony door open)! You have to pay for wifi but it's so bad it's not worth anything, bring your own towels or you have to pay for beach towels. If your all inclusive you have to pay for drinks after 11 o clock on the evening! Basically anything they can make you pay for they will, it's the tightest and stingiest hotel I've ever been to! So make sure you know everything before you book there!

3. Location-

The location is fantastic, it is literally a 3 minute walk if that to the little cove and there's another one just round the corner that is a 5 minute walk from the cove which sign posted easily enough!
You are right next to the main road/strip that is Cala Ferrara, it's got everything you need with its bars, shops and a small night club half way up the street! I would recommend the lady gaga show at the Eden Paradise bar at the end of the road!
If you want to go to Cala dor that is a 15 minute walk or you can get the mini train from Cala Ferrara which drops you straight outside the beach in Cala dor from the hotel and there is more of the same there with two other beaches worth visiting, and a bigger night club called Farrah's. But it's nothing like Magaluf it is more laid back and a lot less crazy but still very nice time!
There are also great transfer links on the buses to Parma (2hrs) or little towns along the way, or the excursions to places like Aqualand (water park) which is great but don't go on a weekend as it's the busiest and you will be queuing for ages! Go between Monday-Thursday in my opinion!

4. Rooms-

The rooms are different depending what you go for, for example our room was on the top floor looking over the sea so was big and spacious. But they are basic rooms there is no air con in any room there (sleep with the balcony door open) or you can rent a fan for 10 euros which is rubbish so save the money! But the smaller cheaper rooms are very horrible, cramped and smell very badly of musky damp smell even though they are cleaned! So go for a bigger room!

5. Food-

The food is what you expect for this type of hotel, they present it to a reasonable standard. But it doesn't really taste the best, after eating it for ten days I didn't feel the best all the time and had a bit of diareha less than a week into eating the food and so did a few other people eating there!
The cereal at breakfast there is nice, bread and fruit is also good! But the cooked things like sausage, bacon etc... doesn't taste the best. The same goes at tea time again, the food is editable and does a job in filing you up but again it isn't fantastic! You get what you pay for at the end of the day!

6. Entertainment-

The entertainment at the hotel is horrendous especially to day it's a family hotel so you would of thought they would have a lot of kids entertainment there. They don't have hardly any, from what I could see the only entertainment they did for kids was musical chairs every night for them with the same women and it lasted 20 minutes, then that was it for the night! If you want kids entertainment you are defiantly coming to the wrong hotel! The adults hotel is even worse the only reason people were in the entertainment/bar area was because they were watching the World Cup matches, but if that wasn't on then it would be empty in there unless they were making use of the all inclusive drinks until 11:00pm! We always went out to somewhere like the Eden Paradise at the end of the Cala Ferrara strip, as it was very good there!

I hope this helps with your decision on the hotel and the area but overall we had a fantastic holiday, there a lot of things to do there. The only negative as a whole was the hotel for us, don't get me wrong you get what you pay for but I want you all to realise what you get for your money! But have a great holiday wherever you go!

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Danny M
Southern Poland, Poland
Reviewed 6 July 2014

The first and the last time we use cheap, budget hotel for holiday. NEVER AGAIN. We had no big expectations. All we asked was bit of silence. Hotel placed us in room above the noisy kitchen, but the worst thing was rubbish colection about 3 am every night. So, if you value peace and silence, use another hotel. It was very funny all inclusive. We had to pay for safe, beach towels and drinks after 11 pm!!! They charge even for drinking water after 11!!! We had to pay deposit for remote control and hair dryer (not fitted in bathroom). No free bottled water available. Staff can give you small plastic cup of water only. If you try to fill up your own bottle, they charge 4 Euros. We used to visit plenty of hotels with Thomson, First Choice, Monarch and BA... I'm just speachless... Poor range of food, but few times chef suprised us with rabbit stew or salmon in creamy sauce. There is very small pool. Nice beach is located just few steps down from the hotel. Parking space is available. I can confirm one thing - staff is very friendly and proffesional.

Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 July 2014

Were do I start. We paid £753 for 4 nights for our wedding anniversary. We had all inclusive to try and save some money as this is a short trip before we go to dominican republic in september. What a mistake. The food is awful. If you like childrens food eg chicken nuggetts, fish fingers, sausages, chips etc then this is ok for you, but my husband and I like nice food, and he's a vegetarian so there was absolutely nothing for him to eat. The only good meal was breakfast. Then there was the "all inclusive drinks" I have stayed at many all incusive hotels and I can honestly say this is the worst hotel I have ever stayed in. You could not taste any alcohol in the drinks and they were all under the counter drinks that were served to you. You could pay an extra 64 euros for the ultra all inclusive, which I have never heard of. I thought once you paid for all inclusive it meant all inclusive. Then there are the rooms. I have to say the beds are very comfortable and clean but extremely hot as there is no airconditioning. And if you like tv then you are in for a shock, as we could only get two english channels bbc2 and channel 5, and you have to hire the remote in order to watch them. There is no free wi-fi so we paid 20euros to hire it, but we were unable to connect to it to watch films on our tablet. My husband asked for our money back, and the receptionist wasn't suprised by this. We ended up eating out everyday, so in the end made this a very expensive short break. Then to stick a further nail in the coffin, low cost holidays hadn't booked us on the return transfer, so we had to pay for this ourselves. So all in all a expensive and stressfull holiday.

1 Thank Elaine F