“Fab family holiday”

Reviewed 19 August 2014

Review collected in partnership with Low Cost Holidays
2  Thank Willsmama112

Reviewed 18 August 2014

We booked this hotel (2 adults, 2 children 4yrs and 6yrs) a month prior to leaving, 7th to 14th Aug, so we knew we would pay a premium but one still hopes for getting what you pay for.
Nothing could be further from the truth here - the place is a disgrace from top to bottom. I genuinely struggle to find any positives, the location being the only one - Cala d'Or is a fantastic family destination, very clean, safe, great restaurants etc. This hotel is the worst in the area.
It is tired, worn down, no air con anywhere, the food isn't great and if you are not all-inclusive you are treated with contempt by the staff. We saw so many other people arriving and complaining it was incredible.
Where do I start.....we arrived at 1am (due to our bus breaking down on route from the airport) and immediately as we walked through the door we had a bad feeling of "really? is this it?" Very humid - 34 dg most days - so we checked in and were told we needed paper copies of the booking - which neither us or the couple next to us had as we booked through teletext holidays and were not told this - we both had the form on our iPads. It was at this point we realised that the wifi (which they charged at extortionate rates) was crap. Connected but was slow and unusable.
Our biggest shock came when we got to our room - no seaview as we had requested - this was an extra €20 a night - and there were 2 single beds and a bunk bed made of metal frame that was nearly breaking and wobbled too much for my liking. That left space to walk to the past the bottom of the beds and apart from the bathroom and tiny balcony that overlooked next doors hotel, that was all the room we had. It was smaller and much grubbier than a Travelodge. Everything was out of date and just tiny. Horrible 1970s bedding and curtains. The tv in the room had no remote - they charge extra for that as well. No aircon at all, so I asked for a fan but guess what - they charged for that as well!! In that heat no one could sleep without a fan and we had to have the balcony door open all night.
At 6am on the dot every morning the bin man arrived with a noise that rivalled an earthquake so sleep was at a premium.
We were half board so we went to breakfast but if you are not there before 8.45am you can expect a battle of epic proportions to fight for your food it was that busy. We went out for breakfast on the last 2 days to highlight how bad it was.
The sunbed situation was laughable (you had to laugh to avoid crying). Pool opened at 9am. Everyone was queuing at the top of the steps from 8.45am onwards to race down, lay clain to their bed - then disappear for most of the day leaving empty sunbeds with just towels on so as a family of 4 we had to share 1 bed for 75% of the time.
The staff were very unfriendly as if they hate their job (who can blame them) except the cleaners who were always happy and Eddie, the barman - he was a nice guy.
The pool had broken tiles all over and a very ugly metal barrier between the kids pool and the adults pool. We paid €4 for lunch on 2 days but it was truly disgusting.
Kids mini club was in a small stuffy room and each day at 3 mini club started and they sat colouring in.....that was it. They claim to have a mini disco each day at 5pm...that's also in the stuffy room downstairs tucked out of the way.
Kids loved the pool as they made some good friends so they were happy but also oblivious to the ramshackle place around them.
I tried to move hotel after day 2 but everywhere was booked.
I would not recommend this hotel at all to anyone, unless you like no frills, crappy over priced rabbit hutches.
The brochures and online material makes it look good but the picture on trip advisor is taken from another hotel!!!
Think twice before booking, it really isn't what it appears.
We would go back to cala D'or region in a heartbeat, but never to this place - they should be closed down - and I am not a moaning person!

Room Tip: don't choose one!! Ours was tiny and it was apparently one of the bigger ones!!
3  Thank CarlyJ7
Reviewed 15 August 2014

Great location with good views over the cove that has a small , busy, sandy beach at its head. Reasonable swimmers can access the sea from the rocks and small landing point just behind the hotel but leaving the water requires a swim to the beach or via a ladder some 100 yds away.
Souvenir shops, bars and restaurants are all close to the hotel.
The hotel itself although clean is in need of a" facelift ". The absence of air conditioning in the bedrooms made sleeping uncomfortable in late July/August but this can be made more comfortable by hiring electric fans (not advertised, you will have to ask). The rooms are adequately furnished . There are no fridges in the rooms to keep drinks etc. cold.
The five floors are served with two lifts that are sufficient for the volume of guests using them.
Food was edible with a good variety of generally bland dishes where even the fussiest of palates should find something to sustain themselves during their stay. The buffet in the pool bar enabled the late risers and hungry children the opportunity to snack during the course of the day.
All inclusive drinks are free flowing and unbranded unless you pay the supplement.Self service wine , beer and soft drinks are available in the dining room for A.I. guests.
An early start is required if you want a pool side sun bed although you can hire out sun beds at the hotel next door and on the beach.
The staff were all very friendly , courteous and polite although appeared to be disorganised during the third floor fire fiasco with no one appearing to take control of the situation!
The entertainment that we saw was quite entertaining one way or another.
We weren't dissatisfied with our holiday and there are more ticks than crosses,however , if we return to Cala d'Or we will be looking for alternative accommodation.

4  Thank Rhino009
Reviewed 11 August 2014 via mobile

Myself, husband and 22month old son just got back from a week at this hotel where we stayed half board. From looking at pics and reading reviews it was what I expected. No frills but clean, could do with a sprucing up but I suppose that's why we got such a good price. I found the food quite good, contrary to what has been posted before I was pleasantly surprised at dinner by the choice and quality of the food and at no stage did I struggle to find something to suit our appetites. Breakfast was good too & the coffee served at breakfast was tasty. With regards to the staff, I really didn't experience any negativity, had good service from all staff and the cleaners did a great job.
The 2 negatives were
1) The lack of air conditioning, very difficult to sleep in the heat even with the rented fan.
2) As mentioned in the previous reviews thee was a fire in the hotel on Monday 4th August. We were alerted to the fire by another guest running up & down our corridor banging & shouting at the doors, I initially thought it was just a bunch of kids messing around but then my husband came into the bathroom(I was mid shower) to say there was a fire and we needed to get out now - this was really scary coming out into smoke with our young son and running down 2 flights of stairs, I really don't know how long we would have been in the room had that guest not alerted us. There was NO alarm, all the break glass panels on the floor were broken already and obviously deactivated and the smoke detectors on the ceiling remained silent. - all of this led to us looking unsuccessfully for alternative accommodation. I found how this situation was handled unforgivable & just negligent. Regardless of how much of a good deal you get you should never feel that your safety is compromised. I have reported this incident to the agents I booked with also.

To summarise I would never stay in this hotel again due to the fire safety issues, and for anyone who is going there soon they had actually replaced the alarm panels within 24hrs of the incident.

Stayed: August 2014
8  Thank Laineysummer
Reviewed 11 August 2014

We were invited to share a holiday with our two grandsons and their parents,we arrived on the 31st July and departed on 9th Sept. We found the hotel to be tired and in need of a major updating. The reception, lounge, restaurant,and bar areas are fine,but the rooms are in a poor state, some effort has been made in the bathrooms, but this is let down by the total lack of maintenance.
We had a number of problems in our room , the extraction fan in the bathroom was not working, the safe door lock was missing, so we had to keep essential items with us for the duration of the holiday, curtains had several hooks missing which allowed early morning daylight in from around 05 30 in the morning. Electrical sockets worn out allowing plugs to very loose fitting, and flaking paint on door frames.

On Monday afternoon at around 15 00 a loud explosion followed by breaking glass was heard, this turned out to be a fire in room 301,reportedly caused by a portable A/C unit drawing in the window curtains and causing the unit to overheat. We were very concerned as our grandson was sleeping on the floor below, his mother was with him, our son went and evacuated them. Many residents were prevented from re entering the hotel until smoke and horrible fumes had cleared, fortunately no one was hurt. During this whole saga no alarm signals were sounding, neither Fire or Smoke were activated. I questioned management about the lack of warning alarms to be told that Majorca law states that when a fire occurs the detectors light a warning light in reception, they then send a member of staff to investigate, if the staff member cannot put out the fire they switch on the sound alarms and then call the emergency services. I do not wish to comment further on this , only to say if this is the law in Majorca then it is time U K travel agents investigated on behalf of the safety of their customers .

Now to the good news, Louis and his staff in the restaurant are brilliant, they work so hard, the bar staff never stop, the food is good considering how many guests they cater for, our room was cleaned daily to a good standard daily. the entertainment was good and well attended by guests. The entertainment, games and children`s events manageress was fantastic, i don`t know were she gets her energy from. If you like being in an over crowded situation then you will like this Hotel, the children loved it.

Room Tip: Ask for a room over looking the swimming pool and water/ beach.
4  Thank Walter M
Reviewed 10 August 2014

Ok after reading the reviews I was worried.. We were traveling as a family of 7 taking 3 rooms all inclusive. On arrival we were allocated rooms. I asked for a sea view but I was told they were all taken.. But we have a great view from room 413.. Ok it's August and it's hot..you will NEED a fan but they are only a couple of euros each day. One tip is... If you have space take a UK extension lead as there are not a lot of plugs in the walls.
The staff are great.. I could walk up to the bar and have my drink ready for me without even asking for it.. Just remember to be polite.. It goes a long way..
I was at the hotel during the fire...I was told it was a portable aircon unit that the curtains got caught up in...it was a bit of a shock but I think handled well.
As for the water after 11.. There are loads of supermarkets just outside.. And if you really forget there is a vending machine by the lifts.
Yes the hotel did look dated but it's amazingly clean, the staff very friendly and the location amazing.
The food was ok we went out a couple of nights mainly due to the fact my kids don't like fish dishes.. And there are a lot.. As it's peak season unlike earlier posts you now serve yourself drinks at meal times the only downside to the restaurant was the heat !!! But again it is August.
To sum up I would return, just wish there was aircon. Great beach 300 yards down some steps.amazing location for bars / shops etc.. So please don't worry if you have booked you will have a great time

Room Tip: There are 5 family rooms.. 123,223,323,423,523 try and get them if you can
5  Thank David B
Reviewed 8 August 2014

On the whole I would say that my stay at this hotel was very enjoyable.

I stayed for five nights and I cannot agree with the comments about the staff. I found all staff to be helpful in their day to day tasks in the bar, at reception and in the restaurant. I appreciate that in the restaurant they don't have much chance to chat, but it is self service and they are working very hard to keep the tables clean and to turn them over for other guests. I also found the cleaning staff to be friendly and polite. In general my experience is that if you are pleasant and mannerly, the staff reciprocated.

In relation to the food, I cannot agree that the food was inedible. It is also untrue that there were two choices for dinner. At lunch and dinner there were 4-5 large platters of beautiful salads with a selection of dressings, these were not the same at both lunch and dinner. At lunch and dinner there was also soup available. At dinner each evening there was a pasta dish, a fish dish and usually a meet dish also alongside a selection of vegetables, chips and potatoes. There was no repetition between the lunch menu and the dinner menu that evening. There was fresh bread available at every meal.

The bar by the pool also had a smaller lunch offering which facilitated guests in having lunch without having to dress for the dining room which was very convenient.

I had the all inclusive drinks package and this was entirely adequate. There was cava, wine, beers, gin and tonic and brandy along with many other offerings included! I found the measures to be very generous.

I agree that the hotel is dated, it requires some improvements and this is most evident in the bedrooms and corridors. The common areas were fine but not luxurious. I would agree that this is a 3* hotel.

My main point in this review is that on the whole this trip was good value for money. This was not my main holiday this year and I did not pay a lot of money for it, therefore my expectations were not disproportionate. All in all I would say that I got what I paid for, a few cheap days in the sun.

Now for the negative aspect.....

I was in the hotel when the fire mentioned below broke out. I was in my room on the third floor and we were getting ready for dinner. I had smelled something burning approximately 20 minutes earlier but had assumed that this was outside as there were no fire alarms going off inside. We were alerted to the fire by other guests banging on doors and shouting fire. There were no alarms going off nor were there any staff evident. We had to go past the room in which the fire had broken out as it was adjacent to the stairs. The air was full of noxious and possibly dangerous fumes which were not fully cleared when we were returned to our rooms.

Two Members of staff were excellent when we got outside however there did not appear to be any plan or way of counting guests. Generally the attitude of management was fairly blasé which is shocking considering this involved the most basic aspect of hospitality; guest safety.

Both myself and other guests were rather sceptical as to the supposed source of the fire. It was certainly something electrical but I am not necessarily convinced it was an air conditioner. The electrics in this hotel are certainly archaic and in need of URGENT attention.

All in all my stay was perfectly pleasant until this fire emerged. This was not a 5* stay however this was not what I had paid for, nor what I expected.

2  Thank Traveller1982