“A lovely hotel”
Review of Hotel Rocamarina

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Cala d'Or
Hotel Rocamarina
Ranked #9 of 46 Hotels in Cala d'Or
Reviewed 13 May 2012

Stayed for 11 nights at the very beginning of the 2012 season. Our room overlooked the road to the front of the hotel. Whilst not particularly scenic, there was very little traffic noise and the view was not unpleasant. Our mattresses were much too firm for our liking. We didn't make an issue of it but I feel sure that if we had asked at reception they would have tried to accomodate our needs. This is a lovely hotel in an excellent location with all general amenities close at hand. Cleanliness, efficient and effective and friendly staff, spacious rooms with flat screen TV, good size bathroom, lots of hot water, good dining room with lots of food choices and a reasonable evening entertainment program all helped make our stay enjoyable. This is probably the best Mediterannean 'package holiday' hotel we have stayed in. As with all package hotels there are some things we didn't like but these did not really spoil our holiday. Thomson Gold (not the hotel itself) would appear to be competing with Saga holidays! We have absolutely no objection to the elderly but the majority of the entertainment was geared towards the older person. The resident duo, although good, played music that was not in anyway considered modern and most of the acts followed the 'musicals' or 'standard songs' route. This level of entertainment quickly becomes boring and repetitive despite the generally high standards the artistes performed too. The food is geared towards the British palate, sometimes with a Majorcan style. Doesn't always work for me but as stated earlier there is always plenty of choice. All meals are 'self service', and whilst queues were not experienced during our visit, I suspect that when the hotel is full it can prove frustrating at peak times. The price of drinks is very expensive. Euro 2.5 for a small bottle of water at the dinner table is a rip off. Beer is not too bad and matches local bar prices but shorts and mixers are extortionate.
Whilst the negative aspects may be important to some, this should not put you off staying at the Rocamarina because it really is a nice hotel in every aspect.

Room Tip: Premier rooms overlook the pool area and are slightly better appointed than the standard rooms. Be...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
8  Thank MeltonMowbrayPete
Write a ReviewReviews (1,244)

Reviewed 5 May 2012

This was the second time at this hotel and the 3rd Gold hotel we have been too, and we think that it is one of the best.
We had a double room on the ground floor overlooking gardens, it was spotless and very quiet.The staff are very good as was the entertainment .The tenis club bar was a nice change early evening.
Unlike a previous reviewer we found the food excellant in the restaurant, as we are both vegetarians they gave us a special menu and we were not disapointed.
The hotel is in a nice quiet area,near a small sandy cove but near enough to walk into cala D'or if you want more action.

Room Tip: ground floor rooms are very quiet
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
12  Thank DENISE M
Reviewed 27 April 2012

Myself and my husband last stayed at the Rocamarina September 2011, previously we have been 7 times, ranging from 3 to 14 nights. We never fail to be impressed with this hotel, it is family run and spotless with fantastic customer service. The rooms are modern with flat screen T.V's. The maid service is excellant and as a result the whole hotel is kept immaculate.

I am in my late 30's and my husband is early 40's, in general we tend to be the youngest guests in the hotel. Thomson Gold seems to be aimed towards the older market and the entertainment certainly is geared towards those with an 'older taste in music'. However this should not put you off if you are younger!

The hotel is in Cala Egos which is a walk from Cala D'or approx 15 mins around a beautiful Marina with some seriously expensive boats to keep you entertained on the walk. Alternatively there is a little train that runs into Cala Egos from the bus stop a minutes walk from the hotel. Taxis are also about 5euros which the hotel will phone for you. Cala D'or has alot more shops and bars than Cala Egos and is more lively. Cala Egos where the Rocamarina is has a road of bars, restaurants and shops.

The Rocamarina is a 2 minute walk to the beach which is a lovely little cove with a beach bar, you can get boat trips also from this beach which go up and down the East coast of Majorca. Opposite the hotel is the Tennis Club (which you can walk through to get to the beach) if you want a nice cold drink (or a beautifully cooked steak) this is where to cool off.

The hotel itself is Half Board and we always have found something enjoyable to eat, they have alot of different salads, fresh fruits, meats, breads, fish etc. I have to say they do little individual puddings in glass pots such as creme caramel, trifles, chocolate mousse and lovely apple crumble! My waistline expands dramatically over a 2 week holiday.

We have a 3 year old son now so our 2 week holidays a year at this hotrel are a thing of the past as Gold hotels are 'adults only' However last year we managed a 3 night break here just the two of us and with free time at a premium now I would not hesitate to return should we get the chance this year.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
19  Thank NicP618
Reviewed 15 December 2011

Stayed at the rocamarina last july for one week. Our party of three, were myself and two working chefs in u.k. We found this hotel to be just perfect in every way, from food, to location, to service, entertainment and overall quality. Full marks all round to this hotel and thomson reps + tour guides. As a result this holiday has already been booked for 2012, but this time for two weeks, as it was so good. We also enjoyed the resident duo Tony and Sue, who played music to suit all tastes... excellent. So roll on next year and our visit to the top class rocamarina again.

Room Tip: We paid for the room upgrade with sea view. Well worth it for us.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
20  Thank ROBERT L
Reviewed 4 November 2011

We stayed at the Marina, after a weeks cruise and were looking for a real change of pace, and the Rocamarina certainly gave us that. Starting with first impressions, simply great, entrance to the hotel was beautiful and well maintained. The receptionists were all extremely helpful and friendly and efficient. The room we were given was on the first floor and was quite spacious and comfortable we were given two queen size beds which we pushed together. In the room there was everything you would come to expect, and some, a 42 inch Plasma TV, I felt I'd been spoilt being a person who has a keen I for technology.

The pool area hmmm good luck finding a sunbed, pool always full of leaves, area around the pool very tight for navigating around, although if you're desperate the tennis club across the road has a pool and plenty of beds but at a cost, it has a restaurant and bar to. and there is also the beach, so all is not lost.

There are two things I'd say that disappointed me one that I could probably take the blame for the other a point the hotel should consider. Being 27 this hotel was probably aimed at a lot older clientele I'd say 60+ so we did look slightly out of place, but this isn't to the detriment of the hotel. The disappointing part of the trip was the Grumpy Restaurant Manager and the quality of the food served in the restaurant. We constantly felt ordered about in the restaurant from start to finish of our dining. Not a very friendly experience.

After meals the entertainment was as expected for the type of hotel. the rep quizzes of which we won one were pleasant and enjoyable, the warm up act couple were average but still a good start to a night, I cannot comment on the main show as we tended to eat out or venture in to the town literally a 5 minute stroll from the hotel.

In terms of location you couldn't wish to be better placed. The beach literally on the doorstep, as I stated the small town 5 mins away, and a tractor train stop next to the hotel.

Activities is something we always look to get involved with in the places we stay. We decided we would go and see the Pirates Show in Magaluf, Go on a Starfish Boat Trip, a day trip to AquaLand and a trip to Palma. The Pirates show hmmm the actually show Fantastic and a real spectacle the 5 hour round trip to get to and from the show a real frustration for a show that finished at about 9.30 to get home at midnight is a bit of an annoyance. So I'd think hard about whether or not to venture all that way, the food provided pre show left a lot to be desired, Sausage and chips expensive fayre. The Star fish boat a real highlight to the week, a few stop offs to pick up and drop off in the little coves but quite nice to see the different sides of the island. We stopped off shortly before the drop off for a good half hour swim which was great fun with the slides and fish swimming around you, great in the clear waters. After the swim you get dropped off in Mondrago, A beautiful area with a few restaurants to stop for lunch. After about two hours you get the boat back to the resort but I would say this trip is a must and at 15 euros a piece an absolute bargain.

We caught the bus from the little town in to Palma which cost 24 euros return and was very efficient we were there in 1hr half and an hour on the return. A great way to see the capital of the Island if you don't want to drive.

For the younger tourist Aqualand is a must but make sure you hit the ground running, hire a rubber ring each as they are sparse when it gets busy then you can maximize your slide time as we did we got on one slide about 10 times. Food and Tube hire are a bit on the steep side though once you've already paid to get in, that's the only down side.

So all in all a very pleasant stay at the Rocamarina and the most made of the Island of Majorca.

I would recommend the hotel if you are in the 50+ age range. But I cannot knock the staff and the service as it was in keeping with its rating and the promise of the operators website.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
8  Thank botham2084
Reviewed 29 October 2011

Went to the Rocamarina near the end of the season. Our room sparkled, don't know how they maintain such high standards, particularly when they were closing for winter in a couple of weeks. This is our second visit, I thought it generally good last time, but better now and I see they have become a 4star last year. The staff are very friendly, reception are particularly efficient. Food, well it's all there and I suspect they are trying hard to make it better, since our last visit, but it's not quite good enough. I suppose it's maybe boring and some items are not up to the quality they should be. However you certainly won't starve and I am sure that it will suite many people, even most, just fine. We went to the Gold hotel Yaramar last December, on the Costa Del sol and it was far superior, from a food point of view. Having said that, the facilities, location, rooms and staff are great and we will definately stay there again, when we return to Cala D'or. In so many way's I don't think it can be bettered.
The big let down of course is that you have to go by Thomsons, they seem to be getting worse every year, particularly the flights. Some of the staff are just rude, totally uninterested in the passengers, but they could learn a few lessons from Jet2 (I wonder if Thomson's recruited from Ryanair). Won't go into details, but the rot seemed to set in when they broadend the flight market to non package cutomers, although I can't think why, unless of course they now think of themselves as a low cost airline, which they are not. I will save the rest of that for the Thomson review.

Room Tip: Front could be noisy from entertainment, but it finishes midnight
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Malcolm H
Reviewed 15 October 2011

Very friendly hotel, amazing food. Have to mention Diego (part of the bar staff) he was so obliging, always had a smile on his face, nothing was too much trouble for him.
The daytime entertainment around the pool area was such fun. Normally I don't get involved but Lauren and April invited us to join in, what I liked was there was no pressure to participate if we didn't want to, but they were really good fun, there was plenty to do.
Every night there was entertainment, a duo called Portrait sang and played guitars, there was also a different cabaret every night of a singer or Comedian.
We enjoyed the fact that, just across the road was a lovely Bar/Restaurant belonging to Rocamarina where you can get snacks, meals and a lovely ice cream, the food wasn't cheap but it was good value. A little further down was a small but lovely beach the sunbeds were 4.50 euros each and the umbrella 3 euros.
A short wallk away were the shops, the usual gift shops, Two Spar's and quite a few restaurants.
All in all the week flew everyone was so friendly, we would definitely visit this hotel again.

Room Tip: We had 108, it was quiet but not much of a view, The rooms overlooking the pool, may be noisy but ar...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple