1,372 results
All reviewstennis clubthomson goldthomson repsgold hotelalter egoapple crumblecala egosresident bandgarden areaevening entertainmentolder generationsuperior roomaverage agehead waiterage groupolder guestslovely hotel
Reviewed 17 June 2013

Having just came back on 12th June after a 2 week holiday with my husband. I have to say that Old rather than Gold does indeed reflect this holiday best.
Although the hotel itself is beautiful and very clean, there was a few disappointments, the biggest of which was that the air conditioning was not turned on until 5th June. We arrived on 28th May and although the reception was very quick at getting me a fan for the room which did help, I found it surprising that advertised as all public rooms air conditioned false advertising and as a lady at a time in life desperatly needing the air conditioning from the start of the holiday put me in an embarrassing situation having to go and ask for what should have been standard practise. Also, can't believe as a 4* Gold hotel all rooms do not have tea/coffee making facilities although you can hire a kettle for 3 euros per day. (for heaven sake even the travel lodge has tea/coffee making in their rooms}.
If you take a kettle with you be very discreat as it clearly says in the room you are not allowed to use your own kettle.
We were in room 219 which was super for afternoon and evening sunshine on the balcony.
Food was excellent even if a bit repetitive. Would have been nice for a bbq or something as a change.
Hotel very busy and really cramped in the dining room in the evenings. You are shown to your table when you first arrive and that table is yours for the duration of the holiday. We were placed on table 101. 2nd in a row of four tables with about 2 inchs between each table and tight to the row of tables behind so difficult to get in and out without disturbing fellow guests.
Rooms are a good size, however, the bathrooms were not guest friendly with the shower screen fixed to the side of the bath leaving it very awkward to turn taps etc on and very difficult for the housekeepers to clean the baths without climbing into them. Also when getting out of the bath/shower you could very easily trip on the toilet bowl or put your foot down it.
Lovely little Cove of cala egos straight in front of the hotel so to me the location of the hotel is beautiful.
Rules regarding the sunbeds are a bit strange and i found it funny watching the morning rush at 9am.
Cala Dor marina is about 10mins walk from the hotel and is a beautiful marina indeed.
Would I return to this hotel or recommend it to anyone I would have to say no, as I feel to many little things need looking at to make it relaxing.
Entertainment I can not comment on as we did not stay down for any of it, although older resdents did seem to enjoy it.

Room Tip: I found upper floor best. Also supermarket only a couple of mins walk from hotel
5  Thank majicLisburn
Reviewed 17 June 2013

I'm a 21 year old man who visited Hotel Rocamarina with his parents, sister, and brother-in-law. We were offered to stay at this hotel on account of it's lack of children. The best thing about the hotel is how clean everything is. It feels very upmarket. There's a decent about of sunbeds and the pool is a decent size. If you happen to be stuck for a bed or pool space, there is a club across the road affiliated with the Rocamarina that has its own pool and beds. The hotel rooms were nice and had effective air conditioning if you happened to get too hot.

We went half-board, and whilst the range of food on offer for breakfast was decent, it never changes. The rota seems to be more apparent during dinner, but the food was hit and miss. One day would be really good for food, and the other would be very questionable in terms of quality and temperature. You're free to have as much tea, coffee and juice in the morning as you want, but you're charged for all of your drinks at dinner (even water). Make sure you take long pants with you too, as they want you to dress smartly as dinner time. The biggest issue with the catering was the rules about where you sit and when. We were assigned a table to sit at and at what time, yet some people claimed they didn't have to sit where they were told to. We heard of one group of visitors who were eating breakfast, only to have the waiter pick up their food off the table and tell them to sit outside. it's a very questionable system that I'd recommend you go through with the head waiter thoroughly incase you end up sitting somewhere you don't want to. You do have many alternatives to go to in Cala d'Or, however, which happens to be a very nice and clean area consisting of various shops, restaurants and bars. It's worth looking at hotels based in Cala d'Or for the sole purpose of having these places at walking distance.

The biggest issue I had with this hotel (remember my age) is that about 98% of people staying there weren't young. The average age of people staying at this hotel seemed to be about 60 or so. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, because you're highly unlikely to have any of them making a nuisance with noise or something. But as a 21 year old, I felt alienated, almost to the point where I felt I didn't belong in this hotel. I do have to stress that I'm not one for 'lads holidays'. I much prefer going on holidays that are relaxing. But even my brother-in-law, who's approaching 40, was hesitant to take part in quizzes and competitions incase the other guests were annoyed that somebody younger than them won. That was another thing too. Each day, the Thomson reps handed out daily quizes to complete 'for fun,' that you'd believe were copied out of the puzzle section of a newspaper. I don't want to generalise the older generation, but this isn't the sort of thing younger people do very often. Even the 'quiet room' looked like the reception in a retirement room.

The Thomson reps were friendly and happy to help. Despite the quizes, the entertainment they put on isn't too bad. Depending when you eat, you can be having your dinner while playing along to a quiz going on inside (which can be good or bad, depending on whether you like eating while playing a quiz).

Overall, it's a nice hotel in an even nicer area. The age-issue isn't a massive hinderance, but it's very hard to ignore. And depending on your age and who you go with, you might end up noticing it more than you'd want to. I'd suggest looking at the trips and activities on offer so you don't get bored (except the Orange trip, which pretty much consists of sitting on a coach, a boat, a tram, a train, then a coach again with not a whole lot to do). I would recommend the Starfish boat trip though, which gives you the opportunity to have a swim in the Mediterranean (I did, and now I won't eat salt for a month). I'd HIGHLY recommend Son Amar though, which is a cabaret/variety show with a free three-course meal and endless supply of water and wine. It's one of the greatest shows I've ever seen.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank jaychristie909
Reviewed 17 June 2013

We can recomend this hotel. Food always hot and plenty of choice at breakfast & evening meal.
Evening Entertainment was first class Vega duo most evenings, Thomson Gold touring team 3 times during our 14 day stay.
Daytime & Evening entertainment reps Yzzy & Mike both outstanding and made our holiday very enjoyable, they both worked extreemly hard to keep all the guest entertained.
The hotel is spotlessly clean. All staff are friendly and very helpful.
It was nice to have the same table in the dining room through out the holiday.
We have already booked to go back again in October.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Sheila H
Reviewed 16 June 2013

We've just returned from a 7 day holiday at this hotel & can't wait to go again! This is a comfortable, clean & friendly hotel in a beautiful location. The evening entertainment was a little 'old' for us but never the less very well done, we made the most of the location & went for some lovely walks in the evenings. The staff are very friendly, there was no problem getting sunbeds, excellent breakfast, evening meals a little bit boring but well cooked & lunch time snacks very good. Highlight of the week was Izzy's Splash dance - very funny!

Room Tip: If you like to go to sleep early ask for a room away from the pool area as the entertainment goes on until quite late at night.
6  Thank Gillian H
Reviewed 14 June 2013

After just reading some reviews i think we must have been in a different hotel,The rocamarina we stayed in was fantastic, staff were all very nice, rooms were spotless and furnished to a high standard. The food was really good PLENTY to choose from always hot food cooked on front of you was excellent e.g. anything ranging from fish to meat chicken prawns etc also all the meats carved for you were good, good and varied selection of veg & potatoes,not to mention the other dishes that were available e.g. casseroles, fish,paellea,salads oh & the indian curries are a must. oh forgot to mention breakfast what can i say if you could'nt find anything you liked then i'm afraid there's something wrong with you even the jams & marmalades were homemade. Pool area was nice as was the garden never had a problem getting a sunbed. Went to tennis club one day nice & relaxing also had a lovely lunch there. Did,nt stay in much for entertainment as we like to wander a few nice bars near by.Also went into cala'dor one night only 5euro's in taxi lots of nice bars if your looking for a change.Went on trip to puerto pollensa good day out nice market i'm not really into markets but this one was nicely set out around all the little windey streets.Also enjoyed Palma.Only fault i can think to mention is it was'nt long enough! P.S we had plenty english channels on t.v can'nt wait to return.

Room Tip: We were in room 0014 on the bottom,only down side did'nt get much sun on balconey was'nt a problem as we were'nt in room much ,very peaceful & quiet for a good nights sleep.
8  Thank Shauna662