“Rocamarina vacation” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Rocamarina

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Cala d'Or
Hotel Rocamarina
Ranked #4 of 47 Hotels in Cala d'Or
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“Rocamarina vacation”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2014

Just arrived back from the hotel I call my home from home. I cannot fault this hotel. Spotlessly clean in all areas, fantastic choice of food, caring staff (who remember you) the entertainment was good also. Previously mentioned "sunbed rush" is true, but this is not the hotels fault. They provide sunbeds in the gardens and on the sun terrace too, but people rush out to reserve one around the pool. We had a day down at the other pool going towards the beach and had a lovely day for a small charge. I am not sure how many times we have been to this hotel, we think it is about 10 times and this visit was with family and friends who love it also. We will be back next year. In answer to bazpip the little bar we love is Doughty's run by Jane and Martin. A lovely little adult only friendly bar for a quiet drink. Quiz on a Thursday. Turn left out of Rocamarina walk on opposite side until you come to a crossroad and you will see Doughty's. Tell them Pam sent you! Have a lovely holiday.

Room Tip: rooms at back of hotel have sun in afternoon. Too hot for me after day on beach!
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Rooms
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank 134Pam

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (422)
Alcester, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2014

Just returned from 11 night stay in the Rocamarina, I went with my Partner and my Parents. Firstly I would like to say THIS IS NOT A HOTEL FOR THE ELDERLEY as other reviews suggested. I am 25 years old and was not the yougest person there.

On arrival we were given a warm greeting by the hotel reception staff and and two of the Thomson Reps; Emily and Shaun. First impressions of the hotel were good, the first thing you notice is just how spotless it is, so very clean! I must admit the hotel reception is a little dated and the furnitiure in the TV room does look like something out of a nursing home. I decided to not let this bother me an glad I didn't

The room was average sized and a little dated, extremely clean, and had very effective air con and a brilliant little fridge. There was a complimentary bottle of water on arrival too which was nice.Our balcony faced the front of the hotel over the road, but it was fairly quiet and the balcony was quite peaceful. The maids worked amazingly hard to ensure the entire hotel was clean and they always said good morning and Hola.

The restaurant required men to wear long trousers, which is a common request, but I must admit I did think once I arrived there would be others wearing shorts, however this was not the case. I did find this rule to be a little dated and slightly sexist as many of the women wore a huge variety of outits (some not appropriate for a dining room). You also get a set table which is a little odd. We wanted a table outside but had to wait until one was available, one did become available and that became our table. The varitey of food was good every evening and the selection of deserts was excellent. Breakfast was also good, with a typical english breakfast and cereals on offer. The restaurant staff were wonderful, particuarly Juan and Stella who were very proffessional.

The entertainment on offer in this hotel is second to non. From around 11:00 am Natalie and Rin start the entertainment around the pool offering a variety of activities to get involved with, there is also a daily quiz around 4ish each day which was fun to do even if you only just mentally joined in. The evening consisted of an early evening challege, which was different everyday and then bingo (which you can win Euros and we did), the night time entertainment consisted of 'Without a Doubt' the resident duo- Helen and John which were ok, however by the end of the holiday they did begin to get a little same old same. John was however a very good guitarist and Helen had better humour then her singing voice; she struggled at times. At 22:00 every night is the ten o'clock live, this is a different act every night and my god were they good! A CLASS! Particuarly the Sundaes, One Night Only and the Soul Hunters, The Thomson Gold Production team were also very good and lovely bunch of people.

The location of the hotel is perfect being only a few minutes walk from Cala Egos where there were many bars, restaurants, shops. I recommned Eroski supermarket as it is much cheaper than the Spa, particuarly the water. We visited Sparkles Karoke bar and it was fantastic, it was very popular and it is was easy to see why. No one was forced to sing but if you did you got a complimentary shot of Amaretto which was great!

The hotel bar staff were amazing and waited on us all evening so that we did not have to miss any of the entertainment. They worked from around 11am serving light lunches, coffees and snacks, through to 1am waiting on us with alcoholic drinks. They were all so friendly and we particuarly liked Antonio's humour and service.

The only negative is....... you got it sunbeds. The pool is not open until 9am, and by this time there is a a number of people pretending to have a relaxed sit or morning drink, however they were just slyly waiting to reserve their favourite sunbed! It was very difficult to get a sunbed around the pool but much easier to get one on the grass area, which we spent most of our time as it was quieter and you do not get bothered by the daytime entertainment team if you would prefer not to. There is also the sun terrace which has more comfortable sunbeds and really catches the sun all day (gets very hot) we managed to get a bed here one morning; however I was shouted at by a man on the balcony opposite to the sun terrace saying I had nicked is bed. What had actually happened was that the Thomson reps had removed their towels as he had put them on the beds by climbing over the balcony on to the sun terrace, so watch out for the guests in these rooms- bagging 'their' sunbeds! Needless to say I remained seated on the sunbed and later got an apology.

The hotel provides free wifi, however you have to log in with a username and password everytime to connect, why they don't just leave the network as open I don't know. the network deosn't stretch very far and pretty much once your out of reception it cuts out; this could be improved.

All in all I would highly recommened this hotel for its friendliness, cleanliness and amazing entertainment. Would return again!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
      Location
6 Thank Liam N
Alcester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2014

Just returned from an 11 night stay with my husband, son and his partner at the Rocamarina. We had a really fantastic holiday, As stated in previous reviews this hotel does not just cater for elderly guests and suits adults of all ages.
The hotel is in a superb location in Cala Egos close to the local shops, bars and also the beach. All the staff are extremely friendly, helpful and hardworking, especially Antonio who was a very attentive waiter. Our rooms were spacious and kept spotlessly clean. The Thomson reps, particularly Shaun, were extremely helpful and always available. The food was of a high standard and there was always lots of choice. We did find the two sittings for dinner a little frustrating at times as it would be nice to be able to choose to eat at a different time. We were allocated a table inside at first but we weren't happy with the location. This was sorted out very promptly by Juan and we were given another table and then as soon as an outside table was available we were then allocated a table on the terrace.
The entertainment was first class and we particularly enjoyed playing bingo and doing the quizzes each evening as it's something that we normally wouldn't do. We found Natalie particularly entertaining and we marvelled at her seemingly endless energy. The resident duo Without a Doubt were very entertaining and all of the acts were really good, particularly The Sundaes, One Night Only and Soul Hunters. We visited Sparkles Bar in Cala Egos which is a Karaokee Bar where you get a shot of amaretto every time you sing!!
We did a couple of the Thomson trips; The Orange Blossom trip which was great and Palma Sightseeing that gave us a good few hours to explore the city. We also did the free Palma Blanket excursion. We knew this involved a visit to a factory where we would be given a sales presentation but it was worth going on the trip as Phil the guide gave us lots of information on the island and we also had an hour and a half in Palma. Also if you were interested in buying a mattress or one of the other sheepskin products on sale it would be a very useful trip. We didn't purchase anything but that wasn't a problem. If you like walking there are several free guided local walks offered by Thomson. We did the walk to Porto Petro which was very enjoyable and Jan the guide gave us lots of useful information whilst we walked. Trips are also available from reception which are cheaper than the Thomson trips. We did the trip to Sineu and Formentor which was a fantastic value for money day out.

The only negative is the sunbed rush which is quite amusing to watch. The space around the pool is very limited but we used the sunbeds on the grass area which was a more relaxing space anyway.

We would highly recommend this hotel and would definitely return.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
      Sleep Quality
2 Thank SJN56
Manchester, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2014 via mobile

Me and my partner fully enjoyed a two week break at the hotel between 20th July and 4th August. I have been to the area lots of times with family but this is the first time my partner had been.
We arrived in the early hours of the morning having been on an evening flight, had to wait a while for the transfers but wasn't too much of a problem, when we arrived at the hotel the man on the desk was lovely and told us everything we needed to know and kept it quick as we were really tired and just wanted to go to bed.
The room was lovely, lots of space and really, really clean (the cleaning staff are absolutely fantastic and really friendly). We were at the back of the hotel with nothing of a view, if we returned we'd probably pay a little more for a sea view so we could really use the balcony.
Having your own table for the evening meal was fantastic, you never had to fight or wait for a table which was brilliant. We had a table on the terrace and I would definitely recommend the terrace as it's a lovely view. The food at breakfast was lovely! We felt that as we had two weeks there the evening meal food was a little repetitive, it also was very much catered to English and we would have preferred a little more cultured food as I didn't particularly want a roast dinner in the hot Spanish sun. One thing I will say about the evening meal is the ridiculous dress code, come on how old fashioned is that! Women could get away with wearing anything but men's dress code was very strict, who wants to wear smart trousers in 30 degrees of heat, smart shorts would definitely be enough. The waiters and waitresses were all fantastic and very accommodating!
We didn't see much of the entertainment but what we did it looked really good. We tended to go out to the local bars or get a taxi into Cala D'or, which is only 6 euros! We ate out a few times, I would definitely recommend eating at the marina it's a fantastic atmosphere and not expensive either. One bar in Cala Egos I would definitely recommend is Bambu Bar on the corner, it's fantastic in there and the drinks are large and not expensive.
The pool area is very small and I felt that the sunbeds we're that packed in that you felt like you were virtually lay on top of each other. We paid for the sunbeds over the road at the tenis club a couple of days and that was brilliant, much comfier, much more relaxed and away from the somewhat irritating daytime entertainment, although most people seemed to enjoy it.
Overall, I would definitely recommend it to anyone, maybe more for a week or 10 days but as we were there for 2 weeks we hired a car and saw lots of the island which was brilliant. The area is amazing so would definitely say go. I'm not sure me and my partner will return to this particular hotel but we will definitely be returning to the area!!

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Emma C
Newcastle and Gateshead, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2014

Just returned from 2 fabulous weeks of holiday. This family run hotel was everything and more than we expected. The staff make sure you enjoy your stay, from the friendly receptionists to the very hard working catering staff. My wife and I like to eat out when on holiday, but the quality and choice of food on offer at the Rocamarina made it very difficult to do so. The Thomson reps were always on hand and made sure you were fully aware of everything that was going on and available. The entertainment was to say the least very entertaining. All in all The perfect holiday so much so that the first thing we did on our return was book up for next year, something we have never done before.

Room Tip: We enjoyed high floor (there's only 2) quiet room. You can pay a little extra to get a room faci...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
      Location
2 Thank Derek W
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2014 via mobile

Our first visit to this hotel. First impression lovely welcome at reception considering we arrived late from a delay, Very friendly. Room as expected, very clean, light, large balcony, we backed onto the road but wasn't noisy at all, amazingly quiet, view was restricted due to a large pine tree but was ok watched the birds which kept us amused :). Bed needs a different mattress rock hard, as I suffer with back issues was a challenge. Hotel overall spotlessly clean and lovely friendly staff throughout, a few waiters seemed to struggle with smiles but must be hard work in the heat long trousers and shirts. Restaurant was very well organised liked having the same table, all staff so helpful especially Stella and Zineb and the maître D was very friendly too. Food varied and very tasty, loved the deserts very well catered for English. Pool area this needs to be sorted out a disaster. A rope is moved at 9.00am with a charge of regulars running for their sun beds to the extent a lady broke her ankle! There are far too many leaving towels on their sun beds and leaving them for hours, the hotel needs to address this, at some hotels we stayed at they stated no one to leave towels unless on the bed they had two security/ reception team members monitor towels and removed them if no one on the beds tough but has to be done to stop greedy people. We went to the Tennis club to sunbathe lovely peaceful and comfortable sun beds, yes you have to pay but we thought it was worth it. The hotel have the same sun beds but no mattresses around the pool very uncomfortable. The beach is down from tennis club five minutes from hotel if that, lovely cove, it does get busy but the fruit man selling pineapple and melon is so funny worth seeing well you will hear him. The little town is five minutes walk many restaurants and a few shops. Go to Lomer bar and restaurant excellent prices for food and drink, the Polynesia cocktail bar is double the price looks fancy but weak drinks Lomer ( Laurence owners name) great drinks. Marina is 35 minutes maybe bit less to walk to but worth it lovely. We booked a couple of trips with Thomson reps, SonAmor show FANTASTIC worth every euro! Palma shopping good, Orange Blossom trail FANTASTIC a must. Although I have to say Shaun and Emily need to learn the trips and what's involved so dipsy Shaun didn't have a clue about Palma where El corte was for free Tapas lunch and coach was to pick us up for show from town street but market was on Emily didn't have a clue where we were to be picked up, go to roundabout, if bus comes to hotel we will send it there for you!!! The rep on the Palma trip (not Thomson was so bad rude and said not to go to free tapas and weak wine and horrible food NOT what you want to hear) . OK enough said all in all would we return YES we would we had a fab holiday so even though the little downs above we loved the place don't be out off they a minor

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Janeyweller
Leicester
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2014 via mobile

Just come home after a one week holiday at the Rocamarina in cala d'or.This is the third time we have been.We love it the staff are all friendly it is allways kept very clean and the food is good. It has a homely feel to it.The entertainment is also very good.There are also bars and shops you can walk too near by.There is also a lovely big marina near by you can walk around.There is also a small beach across the road.Altogether a very relaxing holiday.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple