Pleasantly surprised with these apartments, we booked a cheap deal via Jet2 Holidays (Jet2 -couldn't fault them, flights on time and hassle free transfers).
For the amount we paid I didn't have high expectations but these apartments were fantastic. I emailed beforehand and requested 2 apartments next to each other for myself and other family -this request was granted and we were located in block B on the second floor (The block only has 3 floors and is low rise so steps were not a problem but there is an efficient lift -great for the pushchair/shopping etc).
I would say block B would be quieter than block A as some of the rooms in block A seem to overlook the pool/stage area. Although I have to say the apartments were very quiet at night time, guests are advised by signs placed in all communal areas to keep the noise down and the majority of people respect this -although our stay was in September so not sure if this is the case in busier times.
These apartments are very much a place for families with young kids, my daughter thoroughly enjoyed herself and there was plenty to keep her occupied with the splash park, play area, bouncy castle and the animation team. A special mention for the animation team as they work very hard day and night to keep all guests entertained, the kids loved them and they have all the time in the world for them -my daughter was delighted with their dancing and especially loved the choco choco latte song! Well done guys.
Our rooms were 126 and 127 -both apartments were spotlessly clean and comfortable. We did not have to pay any additional money for the air con (I think it depends which operator you book through as to whether it's included) the air con works great but as the norm all doors must be closed and the key card in the slot. You do have to pay extra for wifi but this was expected and I think we paid about 24 euros for the week (although wifi is free in the majority of the resorts restaurants -ask for the code they will give you it).
A bonus with these apartments is the balconies are really spacious and got the sun on them in the afternoon which was great for me to catch a few more rays while the little one was napping.
The rooms were cleaned, towels replaced and beds made daily, and the cleaning staff are really friendly. In fact all the staff we came across are friendly, everyone has time for a hello and make a fuss of the children.
All areas of the pool and grounds were also very clean. We were self catering but did eat lunch a few times in the pool cafe and food was very nice and reasonably priced -grilled chicken sandwich very tasty and they also do decent coffee.
We stayed in early September and never had a problem finding a sunbed, extra beds are stacked up so you if you can't find a spot you can always get a bed and make your own space.
The apartments are also in a good location, a few mins walk into the centre and a further 5 mins to the square of restaurants.
We would go back to these apartments in a flash but not Cala D'or -although fine for a weeks stay the resort has a very much Brits abroad feel to it and we found it a bit tacky for our taste. Non the less you can get a decent meal but if you are looking for some authentic Mallorcan charm then Cala D'or is not for you.
The restaurants all seem to try and hedge their bets and offer a vast majority of cuisines from Mexican, Thai, Italian, Chinese and Indian all on one menu -slightly odd but hey ho keeps everyone happy I suppose (shout out to Indiana Johns Restaurant as I had an amazing Thai green curry there).
The marina is slightly more upmarket but not much to do after your meal.
I would certainly recommend these apartments to people but just to be aware the resort smacks slightly of Benidorm (minus the mobility scooters!).
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Cala d'Or Playa Aparthotel is in a quiet residential area in Cala d'Or. It is located between Cala Gran beach and Cala Esmeralda beach (both are around 350 metres from the Aparthotel), and is only a few minutes' walk to the central shopping area.Ideal for families with children, it has areas specially designed for kids, as well as entertainment for children and special events.The apartments are spacious, comfortable and well-equipped. You will be able to relax on your terrace or balcony overlooking the pool or the gardens, making your holiday unforgettable.The Aparthotel has 116 apartments, 32 of which have been totally renewed in 2013. It has 2 blocks, with 4 and 3 floors respectively; both buildings have lifts. Surrounded by gardens, it has a large swimming-pool with a playground for children, an outdoor Jacuzzi and a water SPLASH PARK.The Aparthotel has 116 apartments, all of them are spacious, comfortable and the decoration is of Mediterranean style. All the apartments are 35 m2 with a terrace or balcony (15 m2). They are for a maximum of four people, and there is enough space to put a cot in the bedroom. Unfortunately, we do not have apartments with two bedrooms. We have 3 types of apartments, depending on the location in the complex and the booked facilities. - STANDARD APARTMENTS: One double-bedroom (two 190 cm x 90 cm beds), one fully furnished bathroom with a bathtub, lounge with two sofa-beds, a terrace or balcony, and a kitchenette with a fridge, two electric cooking rings, microwave, electric coffee-machine, kettle, toaster and basic cooking utensils. Tv with international channels, telephone and hair-dryer. Air Conditioning. Clear views. - PLUS APARTMENTS: High-Standard. Totally renewed at the beginning of 2013. They have one double-bedroom (two 190 cm x 90 cm beds), one fully furnished bathroom with a shower, lounge with two sofa-beds, a terrace or balcony, and a kitchenette with a fridge, 2 electric cooking rings, microwave, electric coffee-machine, kettle, toaster and basic cooking utensils. 32" Led-Tv with international channels, telephone and hair-dryer. Air Conditioning. Open views. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Odigeo, Jet2Holidays , Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly, Ebookers, Evoline ltd and Cancelon so you can book your Apartamentos Cala d'Or Playa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Apartamentos Cala d`Or Playa Hotel Cala d`Or
- Playa Apartments Cala d Or
- Playa Apartments Hotel
- Apartamentos Cala D'Or Playa Majorca