Me and my wife stayed recently for a week with our 16 month old child and overall its good if your looking for a family break.
the standard rooms are now looking very dated and in need of updating but I didn't view any upgraded rooms so cannot comment on them. our first night was ruined by an irish couple fighting and when I went to see what was happening there was blood all down the hotel passage which I must admit was cleaned up quickly by the hotel, the fight finally ended at 3am with the local police and garda civil attending but that meant an hour of police radios echoeing down the corridors. we originally were put in room 002 which together with 001 are terrible rooms that have the feel of staying in a bunker. these should really be used for storage rooms as we had the lights on constantly due to it being so dark. we requested to move room which was completed in 48 hours and having sunlight on our balcony completely changed our moods and made it a better holiday for the other 5 nights. If your self catering then you can save a fortune on spending money by using the Suma Supermarket which can be found by coming out of reception and walking for several minutes and you will find it on your right hand side. In the morning you can get filled baguettes and a drink for 2euros or crossiants and drink for 1.80euros which is the best value in the resort. For the kids you can buy a box of three chocolate ice creams for 1.88euros [keep them in your freezer] which are on sale in the hotel and local shops for 3euro each. fruit and veg is so cheap to buy there aswell as making up your own sandwiches and baguettes.
I advise people to avoid most of the spars which are only there for the purpose of tourists to get overcharged and in particular avoid the spar at the top of the nearest beach [cala gran] as I pointed out to the manager [louda] that they were selling sandwiches that were six days out of date to which see replied "they are okay for the tourist", I was amazed by that response.
Most local bars were charging 2.5euros for a large beer which seems standard [3.5 euros in hotel]. The small park and water works are a good source of entertainment for the young ones during the day but we found the evening entertainment to be very poor and boring. The kids disco consisted of the same music cd [which they push you to buy] being played everynight, other nights consisted of bingo being played between half a dozen people and some very boring dancing on other nights, they should really try to invest in something for people to come and watch and they would get lots more people staying in the hotel and watching instead of venturing out looking for their own entertainment. Be careful eating in the centre where they are all bustling for your custom as we ate there and had a very poor excuse for fillet steak [horse].
Dining at the marina is highly recommended and we ended up eating there each evening at the end of our stay. The food is of a much higher standard and theres about a dozen different places to choose from. Check out the set menus which vary around 11 to 17 euros for a good satisfying three course meal.
We were also very lucky with the weather which in mid October was very pleasing.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Cala d'Or Playa Aparthotel is in a quiet residential area in Cala d'Or. It is located between Cala Gran beach and Cala Esmeralda beach (both are around 350 metres from the Aparthotel), and is only a few minutes' walk to the central shopping area.Ideal for families with children, it has areas specially designed for kids, as well as entertainment for children and special events.The apartments are spacious, comfortable and well-equipped. You will be able to relax on your terrace or balcony overlooking the pool or the gardens, making your holiday unforgettable.The Aparthotel has 116 apartments, 32 of which have been totally renewed in 2013. It has 2 blocks, with 4 and 3 floors respectively; both buildings have lifts. Surrounded by gardens, it has a large swimming-pool with a playground for children, an outdoor Jacuzzi and a water SPLASH PARK.The Aparthotel has 116 apartments, all of them are spacious, comfortable and the decoration is of Mediterranean style. All the apartments are 35 m2 with a terrace or balcony (15 m2). They are for a maximum of four people, and there is enough space to put a cot in the bedroom. Unfortunately, we do not have apartments with two bedrooms. We have 3 types of apartments, depending on the location in the complex and the booked facilities. - STANDARD APARTMENTS: One double-bedroom (two 190 cm x 90 cm beds), one fully furnished bathroom with a bathtub, lounge with two sofa-beds, a terrace or balcony, and a kitchenette with a fridge, two electric cooking rings, microwave, electric coffee-machine, kettle, toaster and basic cooking utensils. Tv with international channels, telephone and hair-dryer. Air Conditioning. Clear views. - PLUS APARTMENTS: High-Standard. Totally renewed at the beginning of 2013. They have one double-bedroom (two 190 cm x 90 cm beds), one fully furnished bathroom with a shower, lounge with two sofa-beds, a terrace or balcony, and a kitchenette with a fridge, 2 electric cooking rings, microwave, electric coffee-machine, kettle, toaster and basic cooking utensils. 32" Led-Tv with international channels, telephone and hair-dryer. Air Conditioning. Open views. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Jet2Holidays , Travel Republic (UK), LoveHolidays, Expedia, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, HotelsClick, Ebookers, getaroom.com, Cancelon, Evoline ltd and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Apartamentos Cala d'Or Playa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Apartamentos Cala d`Or Playa Hotel Cala d`Or
- Playa Apartments Cala d Or
- Playa Apartments Hotel
- Apartamentos Cala D'Or Playa Majorca