“Wonderful holiday”

Inturotel Cala Esmeralda
Ranked #2 of 46 Hotels in Cala d'Or
Reviewed 22 August 2014

Lovely clean hotel right by the beach with great sea views. The food, whilst being buffet style, was plentiful and varied so you don`t go hungry there. The staff were professional and consistent, especially as this is an adults only hotel, and they were very good at diplomatically preventing cheeky families from trying to sneak into the pool area with their children. The family hotel is further along the beach and was very noisy, so we were really glad we booked adults only. The bedrooms are a bit sparse but adequate, the front sea view rooms are better. However the hotel`s location more than makes up for the basic bedrooms. Cala D`Or is a lovely resort and the week`s holiday was a lovely restful time. There is entertainment some evenings in the hotel but generally it is quiet in the evenings. Would definitely return.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank nannynain

Reviewed 21 August 2014

Lovely hotel, nothing to complain about at all. Very clean, very quiet, lovely staff, lovely location-- what more can you ask for? The restaurant is very good, a fantastic selection at every meal, beautifully presented and superb to eat! Spoilt for choice all the time! We definitely reccomend this hotel for a very peaceful holiday. The town is an easy walk if you want to go, but there is nothing you really need, The snack bar and hotel pool across the [dead end and no traffic ] road are lovely too, with occasional night- time entertainment.

2  Thank JandAAltrincham
Reviewed 21 August 2014

Just spent 11 perfect days at the Cala Esmeralda hotel. From arrival to leaving this was a very pleasant experience. The hotel is very attractive in a lovely position next to Cala Esmeralda bay. On arrival the reception staff greeted us and went through the checking- in process with professionalism and friendliness and we immediately felt very welcome. Our room, facing the bay was large and I have to agree the drapes and bed cover need freshening up but there was so much storage space my husband was amazed that I had no need to complain as I usually do in many other hotels. The bathroom was enormous, the shower powerful and everywhere was spotless. A pleasant surprise in the room was that there were wine glasses, a corkscrew, a kettle and mugs, not seen that before elsewhere. The food was excellent, a good mix for all tastes, I defy anyone to complain about the quality and variety. Everywhere around the hotel was very well kept, the gardens were lovely, decoration immaculate and the whole place was very relaxing. We chose this hotel because it was adults only and because of the reviews and we were not disappointed. The staff are all so helpful, when they smile at you it is a natural smile, not a forced one. Special mention for Anderson who is one of the waiters in the bar and around the pool, I nicknamed him Captain Fantastic as he was so lovely, very professional and everything was "fantastic." All the staff deserve praise and I agree with another reviewer that it was good to see the hotel manager so much, she was always to be seen around the hotel, chatting with guests and staff alike. A nice touch. We were pleased to see that around the hotel pool any beds that had towels left on them for more than 45 minutes and no one sitting on them, the towels were removed. I cannot speak about the pool over by the snack bar as we did not use that pool. Also, one day some people from another hotel in the group were using the pool and they had two children with them, they were asked to leave as it is for adults only. All in all, I can't recommend this hotel too highly. There were many nationalities and different age groups, making a very cosmopolitan mix. Try this hotel if you want comfort, quiet, excellent food and a variety of good entertainment.

Room Tip: Choose a sea view room, it is worth the extra cost.
5  Thank Rosemary G
Reviewed 18 August 2014

Have returned today from a 10 day holiday at the Cala Esmeralda which was all I hoped for and more. I chose this hotel as I work with young children and wanted a break that involved no screaming or crying children! It was a joy to be in an adult only hotel as it was so calm and relaxing - particularly at meal times and around the pool.The age range was varied from a few late teens through to people in their 60's and there was a mix of nationalities - mainly English,Dutch and German.

I can only reiterate what has already been said - the hotel was spotlessly clean, the staff so friendly and helpful and all spoke excellent English. The food was lovely - such a variety to suit all tastes and all presented in a lovely way.Meal times were 8 a.m - 10.30a.m for breakfast and 6pm - 9pm for dinner. Although I had read that men should wear long trousers to dinner, most men wore shorts.

The bedrooms had everything you needed - a small fridge, a kettle (bring your own teabags!),2 mugs,2 glasses and a bottle opener. The beds were very comfortable as the mattresses seemed to be new, we had 2 beds pushed together which were possibly each small doubles so plenty of room! The pillows were also really comfortable. The bathroom had a shower which although it wasn't a power shower, had very good water pressure and there was hot water at all times. The room was also air conditioned which was a blessing as it was so hot outside! The flat screen TV included BBC 1 and 2, BBC News, ITV 1,2 and 4,Film 4 and More 4 +1.

I did not email ahead to ask for a sea view room as I thought that I would be happy with a room looking over the pool at the rear as it would get the sun in the afternoon and be quieter. Unfortunately I did not realise that only half of the rooms at the rear overlook the pool, the other half over look a green felt roof of the extensive restaurant and kitchen, and the car park of an apartment block at the rear - not very attractive. After 2 days I decided to ask reception if they had any other rooms overlooking the pool and the next day they informed me there was a different room and I switched. I suggest that if you do not want to pay 24 euros a day for the sea view room(which was lovely by the way), that you do specify that you would like a room overlooking the pool at the back(no extra charge) as the green roof view was not good.

Wi Fi was available free in the reception area and so consequently many people would sit here but for 5 euros a day, 15 euros a week or 22 euros for 2 weeks you could have Wi Fi in your room and around the pool.

The cost of a safe in your room was 3.1 euros a day.

There is no need to pack your own towels for the pool as the hotel provided these at reception and they could be changed for clean ones whenever you required for 50c.

We spent most of our time during the day around the pool at the rear of the hotel where there were always sun loungers at any time of day, no need to dash down after breakfast - it was so quiet you could hear a pin drop,or at least a bottle of suncream - no one seemed to speak! I was actually grateful for the music being played at the bar. It was easy to walk to the bar to get drinks and the waiter did walk around to take drink orders - drinks in the hotel could be either paid in cash or charged to your room. Happy hour was between 4.30p.m and 5.30p.m. The only criticism I have is that you could not buy food at this bar and so for lunch you had to either go over to the other pool by the sea or into Cala Esmeralda or Cala D'or.The sun loungers and parasols were new - the parasols were bolted to the ground so it was difficult to adjust for the angle of the sun.There was a lovely raised grassed area by the pool with some more sun loungers which was a slightly more shaded area. The pool by the sea was idyllic but we never got a chance to use it - I think you had to be there by 9 a.m to get a chance of a sun lounger there and I enjoy my sleep too much! There were also some lovely sun loungers on a sandy terrace just below the bar but again they were snapped up after breakfast as the view was beautiful - I'm not sure how they checked that people using these were actually staying at this hotel. We had no problem getting a seat to eat there at lunch time so we were able to admire the view then. Children were allowed to eat at the pool bar but they were just sitting having lunch with their parents and were very well behaved ~ you wouldn't know they were there! If you didn't want to eat at this bar, there were so many restaurants to choose from in Cala Esmeralda, Cala D'Or and at the marina which we went to by the land train which was 2 euros each way.

I would only not recommend the hotel if mobility is a problem since the hotel is on a slight hill and to walk to Cala Esmeralda for the supermarkets,gift shops, bars etc you have to walk down a hill, down steps,across the beach and up steps the other side (a total of 49 steps!) - and then up another hill through the Inturotel apartments. Walking the other way to Cala D'Or also involves a few inclines.

Sorry the review is so long- it is all so fresh in my mind! I just wish that I could go back tomorrow! If you book to stay here you will not regret it.

Room Tip: Ask for either a sea view or a rear pool view otherwise there is a chance your view will be the gre...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
13  Thank matt36london
Reviewed 17 August 2014 via mobile

Me & my partner stayed at the Cala Esmerelda first week of August & we wished we'd booked for longer!

Staff- I can only mimic other reviews, as the staff were exceptional. All we so polite & helpful & really took the time to get to know you. It was great to see manager everyday & getting stuck in with interacting with guests & helping out with general duties.

Pool- both pools were very quiet & relaxing, particularly the pool over the road with its beautiful setting. However, we only used the hotel pool during our stay as the sunbeds at the other pool were always all reserved by 9am so we never got a chance. On arrival the reception staff informed us that reserving sun beds was not permitted & would be removed after 40 minutes, this was not enforced. You could always get a sunbed at the hotel pool though, anytime throughout the day as people would leave to visit the beach or town frequently. This pool also had waiter service which was a lovely touch.

Food & drink- food in the restaurant was excellent & a wide variety of things to choose from every night. The gala night was great from local produce & a big dessert station! Happy hour is at both the beach bar & hotel bar & is 2 for 1 on a variety of drinks (including cocktails!!) the beach bar offered some lovely food at lunch time, however this is also open to public in day so does get busy.

Location- this couldn't be better in our opinion, its just far away enough from the loud & lively town so the resort is still quiet & relaxing at night, but centre is only a 10 min walk (if you use shortcut behind hotel) 20 mins otherwise. We had a couple of nights in town & really enjoyed the atmosphere, mabu bay is a must visit for cocktails! & theres some great steakhouses round there too!

Rooms- Same as most hotels, spotlessly clean with the basic facilities, we didnt need anything else really.

Only cons we had during the holiday was that we only ever saw a rep once the whole holiday & that was for the German residents, ours was based over at the family sister hotel so we never saw them & we do like to ask for their recommendations on local trips, bars & restaurants.

We would return tomorrow if we could! Brilliant holiday

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank HollyBerry28
Reviewed 15 August 2014 via mobile

My now Husband and I visited Cala Esmeralda with my parents for a pre-wedding break to de-stress and calm down from all the wedding planning. With the flight under 2 hrs from London and an easy 50min transfer we were by the pool by 11am on our first day and arrived to relaxation paradise.
So many outstanding points about this hotel.

Staff - I was astounded by the level of service and attention to detail all the staff have for their work - nothing was ever too much trouble. The hotel was spotless right down to the shower by the pools being scrubbed daily by the cleaner.

Food - fantastic variety every night (you must be exceptionally fussy if you fail to find anything) always a fish dish, a roasted meat, a meat in sauce, plain grilled meat and fish, pasta, potatoes, several types of vegetable and countless salads, cheese and other deli foods, desserts, ice cream, cakes and fruit. Breakfast was excellent too!! We also are at the poolside cafe every day which did great salads, pasta and sandwich dishes at reasonable prices.

Location - to be honest I didn't venture much further than across the road to fabulous pool (other than 1 day of scuba diving - see separate review) but shops I am told are about 10min walk away.

Pools - brilliant - both were so peaceful and relaxing. I loved the fact that from the front pool you could go down the steps and jump straight into the sea without having to go onto the slightly crowded Esmeralda beach.

Drinks - get yourself to the main hotel bar for happy hour 2 for 1 drinks. No one over indulges and gets silly, but who can say no to 2 for the price of 1 cocktails! The Margaritas were my favourite.

Rooms - not plush by any means but fine and spotlessly clean. Only problem was I could only find 1 electrical socket.

I really hope to return in the future as the standard of this hotel is so good on every level.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
6  Thank StephDrewery
Reviewed 15 August 2014

Difficult to fault the Cala Esmeralda, We arrived at 12 noon and our room was ready, we were on the third floor at the rear, and although it would have been nice to have a sea view , we soon discovered that the rear balcony's got all the afternoon sun.
The rooms were spotless as was the hotel and grounds, the maids worked tirelessly and all the staff were friendly and helpful.
Air conditioning in the room was a godsend as it was such hot week we were there, a small fridge was a bonus as was a kettle and mugs.
You could hear a pin drop day or night and there was a good mix of nationality's and ages,
The food was first class, with the choice and attention to detail excellent.
We tended to use use the pool at the back which never got too busy , there was a pool across the road with a snack bar over looking the sea which seemed to be pretty busy,
The beach is quite small so did get very busy.
We took one of the starfish boat trips up the coast which was fun and picks up on the far side of the cove.
There,s also a Sunday market in Felanitx details of buses can be got from reception.
Coming out of the hotel entrance if you go left and directly around the back near the tennis court, in the far corner there,s a little path with some steps up to a car park, at the end of the car park turn right and you are minutes from the center with plenty of shops, bars, entertainment and restaurants, also a couple of fun parks for the kids.
Its a family friendly area with the vast majority of children under sixteen, and the music finishes around midnight.
A tip if your returning back the same way , take a little torch as the steps and path are a little dark.

2  Thank john r