“Don't listen to the negatives!”

Gavimar Cala Gran Costa del Sur Hotel & Resort
Ranked #23 of 46 Hotels in Cala d'Or
North Wales
“Don't listen to the negatives!”
Reviewed 15 August 2012

Myself, my wife and two sons (10 & 8) have just returned from the Cala Gran Hotel. Our initial impression of the old fashioned reception was a little worrying, but the staff where helpfull and booked us into our family room in a few mins.
The room was basic, but spotless and the cleaner called every day, bed clothes changed daily, and room spotlessly clean ( leave the "clean my room" notice on the door) At the end of the day, you only use the room for sleeping and washing!

I agree with some of the comments that the hotel is a little dated, but the staff could not have been friendlier. Maybe some of the other people who have commented that the staff where rude, where maybe rude to the staff themselves!! You get what you give!

The food was rather good. The breakfasts where the same each day, but really very good. Lunch and dinner was different each day and the restaurant staff where helpful and gave us whatever we requested.

There are 3 pools within the complex, but the hotel does need more or larger one's. The same is true for the sun bed allocation. There was an issue with some people "claiming" beds, but the hotel does try to stop this. When we could not find a sun bed, we just popped the 100 yards to the fantastic beach and swam in the crystal clear waters.........perfect location!!
My boy's spent hours in all 3 pools, and had a great time. Nice little bar up towards the Cala gran apartments area of the complex, which was fantastic, the girl who manned it was really very kind and helpful with the kids.

The bar staff where brilliant, nothing was too much. The all inclusive list of drinks was a little limited, but the hotel is not 100% all inclusive, so some premium brands where chargable. This could be seen as a disadvantage, but we where not there to drink ourselves to oblivion, but to enjoy a family holiday, and relax in the sun.
Therefore, please ignore the negative comments, go the the hotel, enjoy, relax and above all, treat people with some respect and you may well find the attitude is reflected.

2 Thank Conji

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (423)
  • Polish first
Plymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 August 2012

I have just come back from staying at this hotel, we stayed in the apartments II which are at the bottom of the hotel. We had no problem with our room which was clean and we had fresh towels each day if we wanted. We were all inclusive which I wouldn't do again mainly because of the evening meal. There wasn't a lot of choice and it didn't look very appetising. The drinks were good and we always had iced water with our meals, the beer was cold and the spirits were certainly not watered down! I thought they were rather strong as was the the lovely sangria!!
I thought the staff were very friendly.
All in all we had a lovely time and would go back again but as I said not all inclusive.

1 Thank Tracy K
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 August 2012

Myself and my family, 9 of us in total have just returned from this hovel (oops sorry hotel!!) and could not wait for the coach to pick us up to return home. I cannot understand how people have rated this hotel anything above 1, my only feeling on this is that they must have stayed in some really really dreadful hotels if they honestly think this place is ok.

We booked half board but decided on arrival to upgrade to all inclusive at an additional cost of £1000 (silly mistake)..!! As after two days we demanded that our money be refunded as we would need this to spend on food/drink elsewhere. The food was disgusting, breakfast food was raw and greasy and totally unedible.. dinner was even worse and the staff in the restuarant were rude beyond belief. We did'nt even get water with our evening meal and had to pay for warm water with our dinner which tasted like tap water.!!

The rooms were extremley basic, our room was not cleaned and our sheets were changed twice in the 16 nights that we stayed there. I had ants and cockroaches over my bed on my return one afternoon and when I rung reception to get someone to clear them they sent a maid who preceded to spary the ants and just leave.. when I said to her what about the cockroaches she rolled her eyes at me and got a tissue and picked them up and threw then over the balconly..I had to go to reception that evening and get a broom and dustpan to sweep the ants myself..!! There was a TV in the room offering 3 free channels that they wanted to charge 15 eros a week for.!!! My god I have never been charged to watch a TV in my room before. The shower was cold more times than it was hot and the air conditioning lol.. well it was just a thing that swirlled warm air around the room and made it boiling..!!

The pools were cramped and sunbeds were few and far between, I needed to get up at 6am to put towels down to secure one and even then it was tricky, we opted for the beach nearby which was lovely. The tiles on the pool were coming off in the hundreds and the netting around the pool was broken. My son's foot went straight through this and he feel badly hurting his arm.

The communal areas are dated and to be honest my first impression was 'Oh my god its an old peoples home' as this is was it looked like and smelt like.

The staff were downright RUDE , even to the kids which was my main gripe with this prison.

The fires exits and main doors out of the hotel were locked and chained up so there was one door open to all the hotel and apartments.. God knows what would have happened if there was a fire..!!!

The only good thing is the location, the beach was lovely with clear waters, although busy it didnt matter as we were out the hotel.. The bars and resturants nearby were great with lots to do.

We spend £6800 in this holiday and to be honest we must have spent a further £4000 on food and drink as we could not bear to go in the restuarant or drink their warm beer, flat soft drinks or watered down spirits.

I would seriously reconsider if you are thinking of going to this hotel as there are ALOT better for the money. This place need knocking down and the staff need locking up..!!!!!

Room Tip: Dont go there.!!!!!
6 Thank debbiegreenwich

Travellers are raving about these Cala d'Or hotels

Seaton Delaval, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 August 2012

Just got back from 10 night holiday with my husband and 7 year old daughter at this hotel and can honestly say we had a lovely time. The hotel is very clean and well maintained if not a little basic and old. The atmosphere is lovely, staff friendly and the location is spot on. Don 't expect gourmet food but at the price we had plenty of choice and never went hungry and the snack bar during the day was constantly replenished with hot and tasty food. The only gripe we had was the lack of sunbeds and space to relax around the pool for the size of the hotel.

6 Thank Judith C
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 August 2012

My wife and I decided to take our 3-month-old & 4-year-old to Majorca for a last-minute holiday in June. After doing some quick research we decided on Cala Dor after reading about its beaches and kid-friendly atmosphere. The drive from Palma was a bit longer than expected but not all that bad. The front desk staff at Cala Gran were very helpful when we arrived and actually gave us a room on the main floor with an adjoining single bedroom for our oldest boy to stay in. The room itself was just ok and probably the thing we liked the least about the place. The pillows don't really even qualify as actual pillows and the towels have probably been there for the last 30 years. (Both things I would imagine, could be easily updated and replaced?) We didn't bother trying to get the TV to work after reading people's horror stories about paying for a remote (but it was actually nice to be away from television for a week!)
Our package gave us breakfast and dinner but we ate all our dinners outside of the hotel as there are a TON of local options within walking distance, The breakfast is delicious and had tons of options. Most mornings we would head to the beach across the street and rent chairs under an umbrella (You have to go early and lay out towels to claim your spot!) and then in the afternoons we stayed by the main pool which our oldest loved (there's a good size shallow end and plenty of pool floats to use tht other guests have left there).
We loved Cala d'Or and will probbly return at some point, but not so sure about the Cala Gran. The main parts of the hotel are ok, but the rooms could use some updating (new sheets, bedspreads,etc.) The maid service was good and came every day except for one. Also, there's a good-sized Spar grocery store just up the road and they have everything you could want or need for the room.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with an adjoining single bedroom as the extra space is a big help. And bring your own...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Morgan S
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 August 2012

We stayed here for 7 nights between 24th July - 31st July 2012. We booked the advertised Cala Gran Hotel with Thomas Cook and were unaware that this hotel had merged with the Costa Del Sur. We had to walk through the Cala Gran Hotel and over an outside walkway to the Costa Del Sur Hotel but this was no problem. We arrived at 2am to find no cot in the room for our 5 month old. My husband had to go back to the main reception in the other hotel and was handed a broken travel cot at Reception with no bedding! Thankfully we had brought our own cot bedding. The room was clean but tired.The 2 hotel pools are very small and there are few sun loungers and even fewer umbrellas. Thankfully we were not all inclusive and went to the fantastic beach every day which was a 2 minute walk away. This suited our 5 yr old perfectly. The drinks were reasonably priced at the hotel bar - 4 beers and a coke - 9 euros. The restaurant is in the Cala Gran Hotel and is far too small. People were being told to go back upstairs and try again for a table in 10 minutes even though there are two evening sittings. There were also people staying in the Cala Gran apartments that had opted for Half board therefore adding to the volume of people in the hotel restaurant. We ate out a couple of nights due to poor quality of food, apart from the Gala paella night. The resort has lots of great places to eat and drink.The restaurant was very warm even though it is apparently air conditioned! Air conditioning in the rooms is poor and seems to go off throughout the night. We reduced thermostat to 3 degrees but we were still very warm!! We have stayed in other 3 star hotels where the air con is great. Overall the location is great, rooms clean, food poor, air con poor. Will we stay here again? - No.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor as the lower rooms looked dark.
3 Thank suitcase12
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 July 2012

This was our 7th time in a row back to these apartments so that says it all i suppose! My husband, 8yo daughter & myself absolutely love it here!! The apartments are excellent - pretty basic but they are cleaned & towels all changed on a daily basis! Cleaning staff who come into your rooms are also very trustworthy. These apts are so handy to the beach - its just a 2min walk away & 2mins walk to all the restaurants & shops! Staff are most helpful & friendly - all being well we will be back next year! There are loads of pools at this complex but if you are like us we like to spend our days at the beach!

Room Tip: All rooms would have a pool view - north facing rooms get the sun on their balconies until about 8pm...
3 Thank PatriciaMcMurray