“Up there with the best”

Gavimar Cala Gran Costa del Sur Hotel & Resort
Ranked #24 of 46 Hotels in Cala d'Or
Reviewed 22 August 2012

This trip was arranged at the last minute when I suddenly decided to join my daughter and her family at this Hotel. I am 70 and have been to hundreds of resorts over the years. I would say this ticked all the boxes. The hotel is not 5 star but there's nothing missing. Perfectly adequate single en-suite room with balcony. Less than 4 minutes walk to the beach, which though crowded was perfect sand next to a beautiful bay with crystal clear water surrounded by rocky walkways with diving platforms cut into the rock. Buffet style meals were good with great value wines. The four pools were a big bonus - one is heated and all are near to bars and snacks within the complex. There were several large lounges and games rooms - which I had no time to enjoy! Another big plus was that a large and charming shopping area with hundreds of restaurants, pharmacies and Spa stores was just 5 minutes walk away. I understand only Palma is larger. I met several people who were obviously regulars who had come at all different times of the year but always enjoyed it. I want to return!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank Liege

Reviewed 20 August 2012

Fab location,very clean over the road from a beautiful beach.Shops ,bars ,restaurants on the door step.Not the best evening entertainment but we were a party of 25 people aged from 10 months up to 54 and everyone had a brilliant time.We used the pool next to the apartments at the front of the hotel which is larger and was lovely and even has its own little pool bar.Don't be put off by bad reveiws,there's something to suit all ages at this complex.

Room Tip: Choose a side room in the main reception building to get the fab sea veiw.
3  Thank lintonWestYorkshire
Reviewed 17 August 2012

Have recently stayed again at the Cala Gran/Costa Del Sur complex and would like to put the minds at rest of anyone who has booked to stay here. We return regularly to this hotel. It is disappointing that prospective or future guests may having read some of the negative reviews be having concerns about their stay.
Yes, the hotel is of the more traditional Spanish style and not totally modern. It is two hotels merged as one but this is not a problem. The hotel is not high-rise and the public areas, dining room and bedrooms are all cleaned regularly. Room towels changed daily if required and bed linen frequently. Individually controlled air conditioning in each room which worked fine for us even though the temperature was 38 degrees.
The staff we have found are excellent. They are friendly, attentive, and all work extremely hard to make your holiday an enjoyable experience. Everyone from Reception, Bar Staff, Cleaning Staff and Dining Room Staff are exceptional. The dining room is run efficiently, an example being that plates are clearly away quickly from tables and food continually re-stocked on the buffet. The food choice maybe is limited compared to some larger hotels, and probably for some guests could be disappointing if they are used to big hotels with more choice and show-cooking, however there is usually something for everyone’s taste.
I think taking into account the wonderful location of this hotel (centre of the resort and close to the beach) it offers excellent value for money. The hotel could not be in a more picturesque setting.

I would add to note that the picture Trip Adviser are using of the hotel is incorrect; I am honestly not sure where that is! Trip Adviser please could you rectify the hotel photograph as the hotel is a lot nicer than the picture you have!

Room Tip: For a quiet room ask for a room overlooking the gardens. Sea view rooms are extra but ask and they m...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
5  Thank Jennifer S
Reviewed 17 August 2012

first holiday abroad in 15 years and my 13 year old sons first trip abroad! We were in a self catering apartment so cannot comment on food, but apartment was very clean and cleaners called every day and changed the towels when ever you wanted. The room was basic but with a free air con which was great given the high temperature outside.and a large bathroom. Three pools in complex all were nice but you struggled to get a sun bed! The beach only a 5 min walk away was very nice with cystal clear water and ideal for snorkaling with lots of fish about. The town centre only five min walk away as well with lots of bars and restaraunts to choose from. All ouside music stops in the town at 12 so no problem sleeping! Would recommend for a nice family holiday.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Craig S
Reviewed 15 August 2012

Myself, my wife and two sons (10 & 8) have just returned from the Cala Gran Hotel. Our initial impression of the old fashioned reception was a little worrying, but the staff where helpfull and booked us into our family room in a few mins.
The room was basic, but spotless and the cleaner called every day, bed clothes changed daily, and room spotlessly clean ( leave the "clean my room" notice on the door) At the end of the day, you only use the room for sleeping and washing!

I agree with some of the comments that the hotel is a little dated, but the staff could not have been friendlier. Maybe some of the other people who have commented that the staff where rude, where maybe rude to the staff themselves!! You get what you give!

The food was rather good. The breakfasts where the same each day, but really very good. Lunch and dinner was different each day and the restaurant staff where helpful and gave us whatever we requested.

There are 3 pools within the complex, but the hotel does need more or larger one's. The same is true for the sun bed allocation. There was an issue with some people "claiming" beds, but the hotel does try to stop this. When we could not find a sun bed, we just popped the 100 yards to the fantastic beach and swam in the crystal clear waters.........perfect location!!
My boy's spent hours in all 3 pools, and had a great time. Nice little bar up towards the Cala gran apartments area of the complex, which was fantastic, the girl who manned it was really very kind and helpful with the kids.

The bar staff where brilliant, nothing was too much. The all inclusive list of drinks was a little limited, but the hotel is not 100% all inclusive, so some premium brands where chargable. This could be seen as a disadvantage, but we where not there to drink ourselves to oblivion, but to enjoy a family holiday, and relax in the sun.
Therefore, please ignore the negative comments, go the the hotel, enjoy, relax and above all, treat people with some respect and you may well find the attitude is reflected.

2  Thank Conji
Reviewed 14 August 2012

I have just come back from staying at this hotel, we stayed in the apartments II which are at the bottom of the hotel. We had no problem with our room which was clean and we had fresh towels each day if we wanted. We were all inclusive which I wouldn't do again mainly because of the evening meal. There wasn't a lot of choice and it didn't look very appetising. The drinks were good and we always had iced water with our meals, the beer was cold and the spirits were certainly not watered down! I thought they were rather strong as was the the lovely sangria!!
I thought the staff were very friendly.
All in all we had a lovely time and would go back again but as I said not all inclusive.

1  Thank Tracy K
Reviewed 13 August 2012

Myself and my family, 9 of us in total have just returned from this hovel (oops sorry hotel!!) and could not wait for the coach to pick us up to return home. I cannot understand how people have rated this hotel anything above 1, my only feeling on this is that they must have stayed in some really really dreadful hotels if they honestly think this place is ok.

We booked half board but decided on arrival to upgrade to all inclusive at an additional cost of £1000 (silly mistake)..!! As after two days we demanded that our money be refunded as we would need this to spend on food/drink elsewhere. The food was disgusting, breakfast food was raw and greasy and totally unedible.. dinner was even worse and the staff in the restuarant were rude beyond belief. We did'nt even get water with our evening meal and had to pay for warm water with our dinner which tasted like tap water.!!

The rooms were extremley basic, our room was not cleaned and our sheets were changed twice in the 16 nights that we stayed there. I had ants and cockroaches over my bed on my return one afternoon and when I rung reception to get someone to clear them they sent a maid who preceded to spary the ants and just leave.. when I said to her what about the cockroaches she rolled her eyes at me and got a tissue and picked them up and threw then over the balconly..I had to go to reception that evening and get a broom and dustpan to sweep the ants myself..!! There was a TV in the room offering 3 free channels that they wanted to charge 15 eros a week for.!!! My god I have never been charged to watch a TV in my room before. The shower was cold more times than it was hot and the air conditioning lol.. well it was just a thing that swirlled warm air around the room and made it boiling..!!

The pools were cramped and sunbeds were few and far between, I needed to get up at 6am to put towels down to secure one and even then it was tricky, we opted for the beach nearby which was lovely. The tiles on the pool were coming off in the hundreds and the netting around the pool was broken. My son's foot went straight through this and he feel badly hurting his arm.

The communal areas are dated and to be honest my first impression was 'Oh my god its an old peoples home' as this is was it looked like and smelt like.

The staff were downright RUDE , even to the kids which was my main gripe with this prison.

The fires exits and main doors out of the hotel were locked and chained up so there was one door open to all the hotel and apartments.. God knows what would have happened if there was a fire..!!!

The only good thing is the location, the beach was lovely with clear waters, although busy it didnt matter as we were out the hotel.. The bars and resturants nearby were great with lots to do.

We spend £6800 in this holiday and to be honest we must have spent a further £4000 on food and drink as we could not bear to go in the restuarant or drink their warm beer, flat soft drinks or watered down spirits.

I would seriously reconsider if you are thinking of going to this hotel as there are ALOT better for the money. This place need knocking down and the staff need locking up..!!!!!

Room Tip: Dont go there.!!!!!
6  Thank debbiegreenwich