“Value for money family holiday!”

Gavimar Cala Gran Costa del Sur Hotel & Resort
Ranked #22 of 46 Hotels in Cala d'Or
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Value for money family holiday!”
Reviewed 5 May 2014 via mobile

Went for a Holiday with family and a 2 year old toddler.
We enjoyed our time at this hotel made more enjoyable by the friendly staff.
Praise goes to Kelly, Luisa, Christina and Joy who made such a fuss of our little boy and were very helpful in the dining room making sure we had everything we needed.
The food was very nice with something to satisfy the fussiest of eaters with plenty of salad and a variety of chicken, fish and meats and a Spanish option too.
The beer and wine are on tap to help yourselves and plenty of soft drinks and water too.
The heated pool was a bonus as my little one was put off by the first pool we tried (cold) and only after did we discover the heated one.
Short stroll to the beach across the road and plenty of sunshine so early on at the start of the holiday season.
The staff work hard at this hotel and it's always difficult to please everyone all of the time but remember it's a 3 star and you get what you pay for.
We will more than likely be returning to this hotel later in the year as my little boy as not stopped talking about "Cala Gran" since we returned home.
Adios Amigos!!

Stayed April 2014
1 Thank MarGar080
Gavimar_Hotels, Guest Relations Manager at Gavimar Cala Gran Costa del Sur Hotel & Resort, responded to this review, 6 May 2014
Dear guests,
thank you very much for the very kind remarks you have made about our hotel. We are really pleased that you enjoyed a lovely family holiday with us and will be passing on your praises to all of our staff and especially to Kelly, Luisa, Christina and Joy. We are sending a big hello to your little boy and are looking foward to see him and your family hopefully later in the year.
In the meantime we remain with kindest regards from all of us
your Gavimar Cala Gran Costa team

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (428)
  • Polish first
Paderborn, Germany
Reviewed 3 May 2014

The hotel was nice, comfy and the staff were always polite and helpful. Our room was clean and spacious. There were 3 pools to chose from however, we went late April and although we had good weather the pools were freezing (as was the sea), they did heat one of them but was still pretty cold - this didn't stop the all the kids from jumping in though.
The restaurant had a good variety of food each day, we were all inclusive so not only enjoyed the breakfast, lunch and dinner but the never ending snacks provided as well.
The beach was literally across the road from the hotel and it was perfect, the waters were crystal clear and a couple of time a day a glass bottom boat would arrive to take visitors on short excursions.
If you are looking for a short, relaxing family break then I would definitely recommend The Cala Gran Hotel in Cala D'or.

Review collected in partnership with Low Cost Holidays

1 Thank KirstyAnneFarrugia
Gavimar_Hotels, Guest Relations Manager at Gavimar Cala Gran Costa del Sur Hotel & Resort, responded to this review, 4 May 2014
Dear guests,
we are very happy to read that you enjoyed a lovely break at our hotel and will be passing on your praises to all of our staff.
We thank you for your recommendation and leave you with the hope to be able to welcome you once again with us in the not too distant future.
kindest regards from Cala d ' Or
your Gavimar Hotel Cala Gran Costa team
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 May 2014

Food was never hot and always the same menu, too many steps in hotel made it difficult for anyone with walking problems, although the staff was very friendly they was over worked. Meal times felt like I was at Butlins holiday camp, and was difficult to find tables and when we did find one they was always wobbly. The hotel was spotless and always cleaned. Entertainment was outside on a make shift stage. Personally I would not go back.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Dear guests,
thanks a lot for your opinion which is really very important for us.
We are glad thaT YOU MENTION THE FRIENDLINESS OF OUR STAFF AND WILL BE PASSING ON YOUR PRAISES TO ALL OF THEM. We offer a great choice of food like: salads, vegetables, soups, rice, potatoes, chips, Paella, pasta, fish and meat , plus a nice buffet for desserts.
your suggestions in improving our hotel have been noted and have been communicated to the relevant departments.
We are convinced that you will notice the improvements in your next holidays at our hotel.
kindest regards
your Gavimar Cala Gran Costa team

Travellers are raving about these Cala d'Or hotels

DARLINGTON
Reviewed 2 May 2014

we stayed at this hotel 23rd of april till the 30th we were given a disabled room with walk in shower the room was on the same floor as reception the room was ok a bit dated a nice flat screen tv and they were putting new beds in the rooms when we walked in also brand new quilts which was very nice we had to go over a little bridge to get to dinning room then go down 22 stairs I have had 2 knee replacments and need 2 hips there was a stair chair that did not work so I found the stairs a problem to go to the pool we had to use the lift they were steps every where you went one day the lift was out of order so this caused more problems .
the food was the worst I have ever had in a hotel it was the same every day I lived on chips .
we had crisps and sweets stolen out of our room by cleaners I did not report this as it seemed a bit silly for someone to steel sweets the towels in room were awful and very smelly .
it was very noisy on a night with drunks 3am in morning .
saying all this the staff were very nice and very good .
there is a heated pool full of children it was very dirty also 2 other pools but could not use them because of steps .
the day we left I left ipad by mistake on the bed as soon as I missed it we were at airport I rang hotel and was told it was not in the room I know it was on the bed and it had been stolen I was so upset by this I would not go back to this hotel and one of there cleaning staff is a thief so if you go beware this hotel would be good for 18 to 30 not familys we stayed in room 207

Room Tip: do not ask for sea view the rooms are over pool and very noisy
1 Thank ivy42
Gavimar_Hotels, Guest Relations Manager at Gavimar Cala Gran Costa del Sur Hotel & Resort, responded to this review, 3 May 2014
Dear clients,
thanks a lot for taking your time in giving us your opinion on our hotel. There are really many steps in the Cala Gran and we would like to recommend to you to reserve the sister hotel - our Gavimar Ariel Chico Hotel- if you decide to come back to Cala d ' Or - and as you can read in previous comments in Trip-Advisor. We know our cleaners for nearly 40 years and they never have stolen nothing, no sweets or i pads..... , The pool is cleaned regularly every day. We leave you with the hope to be able to welcome you once again on another occasion in one of our Gavimar Hotels.
kindest regards from Cala d ' Or
your Gavimar Hotel Team
Belfast
Reviewed 2 May 2014

Stayed here for a week over Easter with my girlfriend and her 6 yr old daughter. First impressions of the hotel were that it was very clean and tidy. We were allocated a room in the Costa del Sur part of the complex. Room again was clean although very small to have 3 single beds in it, but we didn't spend a whole lot of time in it, so didn't really bother us. Hotel has 3 pools, with the main one being the only heated one, and therefore the busiest as it was also beside the bar. Very impressed with the policy of keeping the sunbeds locked up until 9am to prevent people coming down and reserving them, although this still happens at 9am and on a few occassions we witnessed beds being reserved with towels first thing and not being used until late in the afternoon around 4pm, which I think is very selfish, especially when you see people sitting on chairs sunbathing because there are no sunbeds left. Food in the restaurant, although not a la carte, was always pretty decent and you could always find something to eat. Drinks in the resraurant are self serve which is ver y handy. They have red, white and rose wine on tap and draught beer. You can also get fizzy drinks or juices self serve. This was also the case by the main bar at the pool and save you having to queue if you werent having spirits or cocktails. Entertainment at the hotel is aimed at the family and we found it quite enjoyable. There were always activities organised during the daytime for both adults and kids which were fun and the kiddies disco in the evening (which my girlfriends daughter loved) was followed by different shows each night, some a bit silly but enjoyable enough to pass the evening.

1 Thank David F
Dear guests,
thank you ever so much for the very kind remarks you have made about our hotel. We are really pleased that you and your family enjoyed your stay with us. We would be delighted if you decide to come back and visit us again on another occasion.
in the meantime we leave you with our very best regards from Cala d ' Or
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 May 2014

on arrival, we were told our room was on the second floor and then got told that the lift wasn't working. this was terrible because I have a wheelchair. I was then asked by staff if I would crawl up the stairs to my room on the second floor, I told them I wouldn't. it was after 1am when we go to the hotel, I had my sister and my 5yr old son with me, we were all shattered. in the end they put me into another room which I could only get my wheelchair in past the door. I couldn't move around the room. we went out and told them that in the morning we wanted the room changed as it was too small. we were then shown another room and there was black mold in the corner of the room, I told them I wasn't staying in there, we popped down to the restaurant for a bite to eat before going to sleep, and there was more stairs down to the dining area. it took 30 minutes to get someone to work the stair lift for me. once we got down the food that was lying out was all dried up and it was horrible. next morning we complained about the room and how hard it was to get into the dining area, after an hour of arguing with staff, they moved us to their sister hotel, the hotel ariel chico it was totally amazing and only minutes away, iv already left a review for the ariel chico hotel and we are going to go back there this year but I would definitely NOT recommend the cala gran, it has a damp smell and loads of stairs everywhere even down to the swimming pools. staff were not helpful, we felt like they just wanted us out the way. not nice at all but over the moon when we were moved to the other hotel just round the corner. the food in this hotel was terrible aswell, theres even steps down to get tea and coffee. its deffo not wheelchair friendly. I wont be back that's for sure, for all the great reviews for this hotel all I can say is u must not have been in the hotel much because its horrible

Room Tip: if u want a great room don't go to this hotel, choose the ariel chico hotel around the corner it...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank gail R
Dear guests,
thank you very much for giving us your opinion on our Gavimar Hotels. We are extremely happy that you enjoyed your stay at our sister hotel Ariel after a bad start in the Cala Gran hotel. We would be delighted if you do decide to come back to the Ariel in the not too distant future.
our very best regards from Cala d' Or
your Gavimar Hotel team
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 May 2014

This hotel is cheap and cheerful food ok drinks ok rooms ok this was our second visit so it can't be that bad . We could not complain because we did not pay a lot for an all inclusive hotel. We will probably go back again next year

Review collected in partnership with Low Cost Holidays

Dear guests,
thank you for you very kind remarks about the fantastic location of our hotel and that it can be booked at a very reasonable price. We are very glad that you enjoyed your second visit and leave you with the hope to be able to welcome you a third time with us in the not too distant future.
kindest regards from all of us