“Good hotel with a very good location”

Gavimar Cala Gran Costa del Sur Hotel & Resort
Ranked #24 of 46 Hotels in Cala d'Or
Reviewed 9 May 2014

We arrived at the Cala Gran about 9pm and was amazed that there was a cold buffet set on for us. They also gave us a cold breakfast when we were going home before the official breakfast time. I believe they make sure that you can be fed whatever time you arrive which is excellent.
I have written below a few hints that may help if you are staying at the Cala Gran. First of all, it is actually a very big holiday complex. It incorporates the Costa del Sur and also the Ariel as well and you can use all these facilities. I did though notice that the information located at the Cala Gran reception was not as good as at the Ariel where they have all the info about bus timetables etc. The bus along with the little Cala d'Or local 'train' stop outside the hotel between it and the beach. The 'train' isn't always on time. It gets a bit later during the day but the information place can give you a timetable. The pools are lovely, especially the one at the Ariel. There is entertainment every night and the Animation team are extremely good, especially Cipi (pronounced Chippy).- Rose and I send him a big kiss and a hug.- We went on the Soller trip and had a wonderful time. That is one trip I would recommend as the scenery is absolutely beautiful especially going though the mountains and Soller Port.
The hotel is well located to walk to the shops and restaurants, Esmeralda Beach and the the Marina. When going to the Marina the Jolly Roger is a lovely cafe with English tea and scones. You can get to the beach from some steps beside the Cala Gran pool under the road.
Some things we did find not to our liking at the hotel and they were, the food isn't very hot and the dining room seems to be a bit confusing as nothing seems to be within easy reach of what you would expect and it would have been nice if you could have had water with the dinner. The rooms are quite small but the view we had in room 404 we didn't mind that. They were clean and the beds were comfy though slightly hard but you would probably need another pillow as they are not very soft. The TV is a flat screen but Sky news keeps cutting out, BBC 2 sometimes has sound only and judders when it is on. There is a children's channel and Channel 4. Locking the rooms is annoying as you have to take the key out of the holder which then turns off the lights. If we were hiring a car we would have trouble finding somewhere to park as there is only parking in the narrow streets around the hotel and not very many of those. We were at the start of the season and the roads were still full.
All in all, we had a lovely holiday and the staff were very helpful and friendly.

Room Tip: Room 404 is on the top floor which is the 3rd and overlooks the pool and the entertainment which can...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank xxsmtxx
Gavimar_Hotels, Guest Relations Manager at Gavimar Cala Gran Costa del Sur Hotel & Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 10 May 2014

Dear guests,
We are gratified that you have taken the opportunity to evaluate in such detail our hotel. We thank you for the very kind remarks you have made about the good location of the Cala Gran and the very helpful and friendly staff. Your suggestions for improvement in the restaurant have been noted and have been communicated to the relevant departments. We are very happy that you enjoyed a lovely holiday with us here . We leave you with the hope to be able to welcome you once again on another occasion. Kindest regards from all of us and a big hello from Chippy . We are all looking forward to seeing you again in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 8 May 2014

We stayed here as a family of four and had a superb room with stunning sea views. The property is in a typlical Majorcan style and may feel a bit old fashioned to people used to modern complexes, however it is clean and comfortable and the staff are lovely. A brilliant location for families with young child as the beach is only steps away and is lovely golden sand and clear waters. The heated swimming pool is very nice and the gardens are lovely on one side but a little tired and untidy on the other (children's play area had rubbish in it and there was broken glass on the side of the path) - this may be down to the time of year we visited (April) which is very early in the season and most resorts are just starting maintenence work.
Our only disappointment was the food which lacked a little choice and my husband found hair in his which put him off for the entire week. If you are travelling for a gourmet experience then this is probably not the hotel for you but if you want a good all round 3* family hotel then it worked for us. no frills and nice location.

Room Tip: Not ging to tell you my room number as I am going to ask for it next year, sorry!
2  Thank DEBORAH F
Gavimar_Hotels, Guest Relations Manager at Gavimar Cala Gran Costa del Sur Hotel & Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 9 May 2014

Dear Deborah,
thank you ever so much for the very kind remarks you have made about the good location of our hotel and the friendliness of our staff. We try to cater for many different nationalities and to offer a big choice of food like soups, salads, one meat and one fish dish, a national dish every day like Paella, vegetables, rice, potatoes, a separate buffet for desserts. Thank you for your suggestions in improving our hotel, we our going to inform the relevant departments. We are looking forward to seeing you and your family again here with us next year and remain until then with our kindest regards from Cala d ' Or
your Gavimar Cala Gran team

Reviewed 8 May 2014

It's cheap and the service is generally cheerful. Location was perfect. Food was reasonable. It really is a case of you get what you pay for so I don't feel I can complain. This is a no frills hotel, so if that what your looking for book it.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
4  Thank Holly I

Dear Holly,
thanks a lot for giving us your opinion on our hotel. You mentioned that you booked our hotel at a very reasonable price and that you got good value for the money paid. We are glad that you appreciated the good location and the friendliness of our staff. We will be passing on your praises to all of them. We leave you with the hope to be able to welcome you here with us on another occasion.
kindest regards from Cala ' Or
your Gavimar Cala Gran Costa Hotel

Reviewed 7 May 2014

My friend and I booked this as an extra wee break before the main summer holiday with family. We stayed in a one bedroom apartment which overlooked one of the many pools and the sun was in the verandah for most of the afternoon and early evening which was lovely. The room was large and very spacious and fairly well equipped however it could have been just a little bit cleaner, the furniture was a bit old and tired which gave you the feeling it wasn't clean. However, we thoroughly enjoyed our time here. We were very lucky with the weather and the hotel is well situated for amenities although because we were there at the beginning of April a lot of places were still closed. Resort itself is lovely and we would certainly return. The beach was right across the road and then further along there are 2 other lovely bays, Cala D'Or and Cala Esmeralda which are both worth a visit. All in all we had a lovely time here and will be back.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Gavimar_Hotels, Guest Relations Manager at Gavimar Cala Gran Costa del Sur Hotel & Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 8 May 2014

Dear Anne,
thanks a lot for your opinion which is really very important for us. We are happy to read that you have enjoyed a good short break at our Cala Gran Costa hotel and that you appreciated the nice location and the resort. We would be delighted if you do decide to come back and visit us again on another occasion.
kindest regards from all of us
your Gavimar Cala Gran Costa Hotel

Reviewed 7 May 2014

We booked the Cala Gran hotel and we were put in the Hotel Del Sur. To say that this was their poor relation is an understatement. The air conditioning in my room didn't work on arrival so I spoke to the receptionist who assured me that it would be fixed the following day.
Friday came and went and still no air con. Saturday came and again, nothing was done. I decided to speak to someone again who then tells me that no one has "cool" air conditioning in their rooms because it wasn't high season. My son and his partners worked fine so obviously they were fobbing me off.
If you are put at the back of the Hotel Del Sur, you can hear the hotels main air conditioning units which went on until 1.30 in the morning.
After 2 nights of no sleep and no air conditioning, I requested to be moved. They put me in their apartments. Lovely, lovely, lovely... Again, very basic but clean, light and airy... The air conditioning didn't work in this one either but by this time, I couldn't be bothered with the hassle of moving again.
Tip for getting free TV in your room. Channel 7,8,9 and 10 are all English but to get these, you have to actually press the numbers on the remote. Don't just use the channel up button because that doesn't work. Wi Fi is a joke. I paid to use the hotel's PC which is priced per 15 minutes. By the time I got onto Google, my minutes had run out. Not good reception through out the hotel.
Food was hit and miss.The breakfasts were fabulous although I did wonder if fried donuts and chips were the best choice for the children. Lots of fresh salad, cold meats and lovely bread at breakfast.
Snacks through the day - Tinned beef burgers, sausages, gloopy cheese pasta and always chips. Don't expect to lose weight ! Lots of fresh salad though which was nice. Shame they didn't provide some bread, cold meat and cheeses so you could make yourself a sandwich.
I would definitely recommend the Paella which made a regular appearance for dinner. There was also a pig made out of some sort of meat surrounded by Bellini's with the meat spread on it. I did try it but if someone asked me to tell them what it was, I couldn't. Lots of sweet desserts to choose from. The ice-cream is lovely and lots of fresh fruit.
Saturdays dinner was my favourite. Beef and battered fish. That was probably the best menu of the week.It says that dinner is served until 9pm however, if you decide on a late dinner, they will make you leave the restaurant at 9pm. Same goes for the breakfasts. I would also advise to go to the restaurant earlier rather than later. They run out of food the later you go to eat and it gets very dry.
Alcoholic drinks were not alcoholic. We went out a few times for a couple of glasses of wine, came back to the hotel and managed to drink our selves sober, despite having several of their "local" spirits. They also served cocktails which are so sweet. They are bottled and they just add fruit juice. I tried to get tipsy on several occasions but it wasn't happening !! They do offer branded spirits but at a cost from around 2.6 euros
They weren't adverse to us bringing in our own alcohol we had purchased from the local shop.
The best pool, if you want a bit of piece and quiet, is the one where the apartments are.
They lock their sunbeds together until 9am and you have to be pretty quick if you use the main pools. A lot of the guests used their towels to reserve the sunbeds early in the morning even though no one actually lied on them until after their breakfast. Bit naughty really.
The beach is a stones throw away with beautiful crystal clear waters. Was freezing but it was the tail end of April when we were there. You have to pay for a sunbed and extra for a parasol. Starting from 5.5 euro for the day. The café on the beach serve really nice food and is a reasonable price.
If you want to hire a car, do it when you arrive in the resort. You will save a small fortune. I would recommend their local hire company, RIOG. Ask at the hotel reception and they will organise it for you. 3 days for the price of 2. It worked out about 90 euros and no deposit for a decent car with sat nav and air con.There is a great market in Santanyi which is about a 30 minute drive from the hotel. It's on a Wednesday and I think Friday. Great for haggling and great for clothes, jewellery, handbags, fruit, vegetables and cheeses. Well worth a visit.
Night entertainment was lacking but I think this is because their season doesn't start until the beginning of May. The Parrot show was very funny.
In summary,I definitely got what I paid for. I probably would go again but perhaps half board and definitely book an apartment from the off. I would also provide my own alcohol, cheap as it is and make sandwiches at breakfast for my lunch snacks or even to take on the beach. Better the devil you know.

Room Tip: When you book, make sure you are in the Cala Gran hotel or Cala Gran apartments and not the Hotel Co...
2  Thank panda11079

Dear guests,
we are gratified that you have taken the opportunity to evaluate in such detail our hotel. All of your suggestions in improving our hotel have been noted and have been communicated to the relevant departments. In our restaurant and in the bar all inclusive clients will get free drinks like soft drinks, red wine, white wine, rose, beer and other local spirits. There is an great entertainment team for adults and children. We leave you with the hope to be able to welcome you here with us on another occasion.
kindest regards from Cala d ' Or

Reviewed 5 May 2014 via mobile

Went for a Holiday with family and a 2 year old toddler.
We enjoyed our time at this hotel made more enjoyable by the friendly staff.
Praise goes to Kelly, Luisa, Christina and Joy who made such a fuss of our little boy and were very helpful in the dining room making sure we had everything we needed.
The food was very nice with something to satisfy the fussiest of eaters with plenty of salad and a variety of chicken, fish and meats and a Spanish option too.
The beer and wine are on tap to help yourselves and plenty of soft drinks and water too.
The heated pool was a bonus as my little one was put off by the first pool we tried (cold) and only after did we discover the heated one.
Short stroll to the beach across the road and plenty of sunshine so early on at the start of the holiday season.
The staff work hard at this hotel and it's always difficult to please everyone all of the time but remember it's a 3 star and you get what you pay for.
We will more than likely be returning to this hotel later in the year as my little boy as not stopped talking about "Cala Gran" since we returned home.
Adios Amigos!!

Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank MarGar080
Gavimar_Hotels, Guest Relations Manager at Gavimar Cala Gran Costa del Sur Hotel & Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 6 May 2014

Dear guests,
thank you very much for the very kind remarks you have made about our hotel. We are really pleased that you enjoyed a lovely family holiday with us and will be passing on your praises to all of our staff and especially to Kelly, Luisa, Christina and Joy. We are sending a big hello to your little boy and are looking foward to see him and your family hopefully later in the year.
In the meantime we remain with kindest regards from all of us

Reviewed 3 May 2014

The hotel was nice, comfy and the staff were always polite and helpful. Our room was clean and spacious. There were 3 pools to chose from however, we went late April and although we had good weather the pools were freezing (as was the sea), they did heat one of them but was still pretty cold - this didn't stop the all the kids from jumping in though.
The restaurant had a good variety of food each day, we were all inclusive so not only enjoyed the breakfast, lunch and dinner but the never ending snacks provided as well.
The beach was literally across the road from the hotel and it was perfect, the waters were crystal clear and a couple of time a day a glass bottom boat would arrive to take visitors on short excursions.
If you are looking for a short, relaxing family break then I would definitely recommend The Cala Gran Hotel in Cala D'or.

Review collected in partnership with Low Cost Holidays
1  Thank KirstyAnneFarrugia
Gavimar_Hotels, Guest Relations Manager at Gavimar Cala Gran Costa del Sur Hotel & Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 4 May 2014

Dear guests,
we are very happy to read that you enjoyed a lovely break at our hotel and will be passing on your praises to all of our staff.
We thank you for your recommendation and leave you with the hope to be able to welcome you once again with us in the not too distant future.
kindest regards from Cala d ' Or