“Lovely holiday”

Ranked #6 of 46 Hotels in Cala d'Or
Sunderland, England, United Kingdom
“Lovely holiday”
Reviewed 8 June 2014

We have just returned from a week in the cala azul gardens and would highly recommend it.
We had an apartment at the rear, ground floor and had no complaints at all. Really clean,
Towels and sheets changed regularly and even had soap,shampoo and shower gel in bathroom,also hair dryer wired in too. The staff were very helpful and friendly. We were given
A voucher on check in for a free breakfast and evening meal in the main hotel courtesy of
Thomas Cook ( we were self catering )the food was excellent and we can say that there was a full and varied buffet with a chef cooking to order. Definitely something for everyone. The resort was family friendly and had lots of different restaurants, Mexican, Italian, Chinese ,again something for everyone. We would return to azul gardens or even try any other hotel in the Inurotel group.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

3 Thank Joan H

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
  • Polish first
Newcastle
Reviewed 8 June 2014

We visited the Azul Garden 2 years ago and enjoyed the hotel so much that we returned this year. We were again not disappointed, the room was spotless with great views of the pool, perfect for our 3 year old who liked to watch the world go by after a long day of playing in the pools. They were kept spotless by the maid and she was never intrusive, so even when the weather was not as its best she waited for us to leave before attempting to clan. The swimming pools were ideal with plenty of shallow areas for our daughter to play in. We have already booked again for next year.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

2 Thank Rach777
Nottingham, United Kingdom

Plus's
Excellent pool , clean , spacious and lots of sun beds for all so no need to panic and reserve as some do. pool bar little pricey but this is Cala Dor !! 15 min walk to main town where there are lots and lots of quality restaurants. We (2 of us) averaged £60 euros a night for food followed by a cocktail at the fantastic Ceeki Tiki bar.. Rooms very clean and maid service 5 out of 7 days.

Minuses.
Rooms at back of complex have no view, no sun and early morning delivery noise where they make no effort to be quiet.
Wooden beds against the tiled floor being moved as guests arrive through the night sound like a herd of flatulent elephants !!!
if you have a late flight they charge an extortionate 34 euros to keep your room but only until 6pm...!!! Our transfer was not until 11.15 pm and it was hot .

Tips: Don't put your key card near your mobile phone as it disables the key.
Try the Mojito at the pool bar - to die for the wife tells me.
Ask for a pool view
Check prices of drinks at the restaurants before ordering as we were charged 18 euros
for 2 rum and cokes at one ( stealth profiting )

Room Tip: Ask for a pool side view
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Warrington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 June 2014

Had a great two weeks stay at Cala Azul Gardens with my wife and two boys.

Before I booked this last year I really looked about and read reviews looking for a holiday which suited my family after a bit of a nightmare of a hotel last year and I'm really happy I booked this place. The main things which I was looking for what we didn't get last year was a good location close to the beach and restaurants, reasonably quiet of a night and somewhere safe and friendly for our boys. This place ticked all the boxes. It's very clean, nice sized rooms and nice big pool for the kids to play in.

There's a great suma supermarket on the back road (go through the rear car park and turn left takes about 2 mins to walk) it's got a much larger choice than the smaller ones and is much cheaper too. On the way to the supermarket there's a play ground with a 5 a side football pitch with goals and the boys loved playing on there and we had a couple of matches with some local boys and had a great time.

Plenty of places to eat in the local area ( we enjoyed the Mestral) Indiana Johns in the main center was fantastic and La Fontalla on the way to the center served great Italian food too.

Cala d or is great for families with nice beaches and shallow sea. And would certainly recommend the Gardens as a perfect base.

With regards to the review below I was there for two weeks and didn't think the kids round the pool or any of the people gave Brits a bad name. I was in an apartment block filled with mostly Irish last year and it was nightmare as they like a good drink and kept us up most nights till 3 in the morning! So I was really happy that it was so quite of a night here. As for kids jumping in pools and splashing well yes that happened but they are children, they have fun and deserve a holiday as much as everyone. The pool area was large enough to sit yourself away if you didn't want a bit of water on you. All of the kids and families I came across were friendly and nice weather English, Spanish German or French and they all added to make our holiday fun and relaxing.

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank CarlMacca
Cupar, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 June 2014

My partner and I just have returned from a week in Cala Azur Gardens.
Lets start with what is good:
Very....let me say this again VERY clean and spacious rooms, pool area, resort as a whole. The maid service is second to none. They even clean the rim of the waste bins around the pool. I've been in a few places around the world, but this is exceptional attention to details. Nothing, absolutely nothing is a problem for the staff. On arrival we discovered that we have twin beds instead of double, my good lady wasn't very pleased about this. However within 20 min from me asking the room was sorted with double bed. Second: after going to the local SPAR to get some water, we've discovered that the fridge is not working (light on but the compressor had packed) Called reception and 5 minutes later the duty maintenance guy was in the room. After inspection of the fridge he just told me to wait for a few minutes. 10 minutes later he arrived with a NEW fridge ( I mean NEW, wrapped in plastic) took away the old one and installed the new.
I would like to point out at this point that we are talking Saturday afternoon about 4.30 PM.
The benefit of staying with the Inturotel property is the fact that you can use all of the facilities from the other properties as well. So we had access to 7 pools, 4 sandy beaches, gym, sauna etc for NO extra cost.
Really important point to made is the fact that all the snack bars/ beach coffee shops etc are THE SAME price. You pay 6 Euro for HUGE bouquet with chicken, fries etc in your "own" pool, you will pay the same in every other snack bar. No surprises.

Places to eat.....hundreds, very reasonable prices all around. Average price for a single portion for dinner is between 8 and 16 euro. Unlimited (for real) spare ribs are 15 euros and after you finish them.... they bring you another rack.....happy days.
Now...the negative part....

This has NOTHING to do with the staff, resort, service but a whole lot to do with BRITISH abroad.
Let me make it clear that I have my own kids (away from home now) but I now what it is to be a parent.... The biggest hassle are the "little darlings" around the pool. They scream constantly, they JUMP in the water, splashing everybody around, they are running around kicking ball, shouting on the top of their voices from one end to the other and NOT a single British Mum or Dad take any action. We had German, Swedish, Dutch and Italian families among us with their kids and not ONCE I've seen any of them to do stuff like this.
Bottom line:
Superb resort, superb service, superb staff and disgraceful British tourists..... as usual. No wonder that we have the worst reputation abroad.
Would I go back....I would love to, however I want a holiday so I can relax not a battle field for little Johnny to "prove" himself how annoying he is under the watchful eye of his Mum and Dad.

Room Tip: If you like screaming kids under your window during the day, make sure you have a pool room. read my...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
13 Thank tomrobert1
Paisley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 February 2014 via mobile

We stayed here in October 2013 right at the end of the season but it more than met our expectations. Part of the Cala Azul Resort, Azul Gardens is the quieter of the 3 accommodation blocks but don't let that put you off. Our room was lovely (with air conditioning), and the maid service was faultless. We had my 14 month old son with us and had a travel cot in the room for us on arrival. If we had any problems we simply phoned reception and within 10mins we had a replacement t-pot (this was our worst problem!) Also you can phone down for towels, sheets etc any time, handy for the cot..!

Our apartment looked over the side of the property and was lovely and quiet, and this was a big bonus at nights as a good night's sleep was guaranteed. Lots of places to go for eating although I don't rate the restaurants within the compkex as the service was not up to scratch and we walked out of 2 separate places on 2 occasions due to lack of service.

There is a lovely grill just as you are walking down the little hill heading towards the town and we ended up here most nights and also for manys a coffee during the day. I cannot remember the name but will add it once I look back at my photos.

Overall I would highly recommend for a holiday. Would stay here over Axul or Esmerelda parks for the pool and the quiet.

Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
5 Thank HeatherG212013
Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 November 2013

We stayed at the Cala Azul Gardens over the half term week (26th-2nd November)

We had a great time. The hotel staff were very friendly and the maids did a beautiful job of keeping the rooms clean.

It was getting close to the end of the season and the resort was closing down slowly - especially after the storm on the Tuesday. However you could still eat out in nice restaurants if you were willing to travel into the marina and main town. Our favourite was La Vida in the marina. Tapas to die for.

I must disagree with a couple of negative comments though. We stayed in room 237 at the back of the building. I must say the noise from delivery vans did not disturb me at all and I am an extremely light sleeper. We did hear the dogs mentioned a few times during the day but it wasn't constant and certainly wasn't directly over the road. There was a kettle that you put on the hob but it took no longer to heat up than a conventional one.

We also used the Suma supermarket mentioned mainly as it was much cheaper and full of locals. Had an amazing range of fruit and veg, meat and fish. We sent the children every morning to buy gorgeous pastries and fresh bread from the bakery there.

We were extremely impressed with how quickly the clean up was started after the bad storm on the Tuesday night. I was very embarrassed at some of the Brits who were complaining to staff about waiting for meals when kitchens were flooded and staff unable to get into work because of roads blocked from falling trees. There were also several ladies complaining that we couldn't use the pool when the staff were quite obviously cleaning all the debris from it. I pointed out to them that there were pools in the Esmerelda Park, Esmerelda Gardens and Cala Azul Park that they could've used instead. As it was close to the end of the season it would've been easier for the management to just leave it for the last few days. It always astounds me as to how selfish some people can be!

All in all an excellent, good value holiday and lots of happy memories.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family