“Great Location, clean & tidy, bargain price but a bit noisy!”
Review of Hotel Talamanca

Hotel Talamanca
Warrington, United Kingdom
“Great Location, clean & tidy, bargain price but a bit noisy!”
Reviewed 16 August 2011

The manager of the hotel was lovely and welcoming and for the price (£30 a night room only for 2- alpharooms) we were pleasantly surprised at how nice, although very basic, the hostal was. We were lucky to get one of the larger rooms on the front of the hotel, but like one of the other reviews on here, it was difficult to sleep at night as the hotel is right in the centre near all the bars/restaurants. We are in our ealry twenties so this didnt both us too much but if your wanting a quiet night or your a light sleeper then this is probably not the best place to stay. It also has no air con so we found ourselves having to sleep with all the windows open as it was so hot, as expected in August. However, for the price and the central location this hostal was perfect for us, it is a 2min walk to one of the smaller beaches and about 5/10 min walk to cala gran beach. All the beaches got very busy so you need to get there before 10am to secure a patch of sand or people practically lie on top of you, i think it would be much better to visit this resort out of the school holidays if you can! The resort itself is lovely, very picturesque, especially the harbour, there are some gorgeous restaurants and even though they are a bit pricey there was some cheaper options on all the menu's- but its well worth it for the atmosphere and we prefered it here to the main centre. Our only dissapointment with this resort was the food in the main square, it was all very over priced and the prices did not reflect the standards- we can't comment on all the restaurants as we only tried a few but the food was terrible. One restaurant I would strongly advise against is called Pirates (a grill restaurant) where we were looking forward to some nice meat but got served lamb chops that smelt off and the waitresses response was "oh yeah, i tried them last week and they were disgusting"!!! So we ate at the marina for the rest of our stay! This resort is great for families and couples and the few roads that go through it are very quiet. The hotel provided toilet rolls daily, and clean towels every few days and we found all the staff very pleasant. We didnt eat in the hotel but the food looked nice enough and the drinks here were reasonably priced. There are supermarkets 50m away and everything else you may need on your door step! Lovely hotel and holiday!! Enjoy! x

Room Tip: Book on websites like alpharooms/ travel republic
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank natalie c

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 August 2011

We have a lot of problems having to ask for towels and toilet paper. They haven't provide enough and I heard from the staff and more than one that "this is not a 5 star hotel" .

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank FabiolaFersura

Travellers are raving about these Cala d'Or hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 August 2011

The Hostal Talamanca is a great little basic hostal which is in the perfect location for all of the attractions within the sweet little resort of Cala D'Or. Only 2 mins walk to the Cala D'Or beach, and a 10 min walk to Cala Gran and the local (and very posh) marina, Cala Llonga.
I stayed in a single room for 7 nights. Lovely room, decor was a bit dated (but that wasn't a problem for me!), all room facilities were basic but worked well (shower, loo, sink), no TV or hairdryer, but that wasn't a problem. Balcony was lovely.
I stayed on a half-board basis, so breakfast and dinner were provided each day. Breakfasts consisted of 2 bread rolls, butter, jam, slices of ham and cheese, coffee and juice. There were some changes to this, such as croissants and only either ham or cheese, based on their supplies. Dinners were very sufficient, as I found out by accident! On my first night, I thought I was just getting a bowl of pasta bolognaise, but the waitress told me there were 2 more courses to come! They served a lot of chicken (!), and the food was basic (ie. a couple of scoops of ice cream for dessert), but it was all well-cooked and tasty. I always thought it was odd that Don Pepe, which is run by the same people as the hostal, was a pizza restaurant, but we never got any pizza! On the last night, I skipped my main course, as the starter of tuna lasagne was enormous! A highlight for me was the wonderfully light tiramisu.
The hostal was situated right in the heart of the 'restaurants and bars' district of Cal D'Or, so the evenings are extremely noisy. As my room was at the front of the hotel, right on the main street, it was very hard to sleep most nights. Music, people chatting, parrots from the local bar, and this bloke who rode around on his very loud motorcycle. Then there would be a lull at around 2am, where the peace descended. Early in the morning, though, the road sweepers and leaf blowers would come down the street and make lots more noise. It was hard to sleep with the doors closed, due to the heat, so I would recommend moving to a room at the rear of the hostal, or take ear plugs!
As I have just mentioned the road sweepers, it is fair to say that Cala D'Or was extremely well looked after, and very beautiful. The beaches did get busy, but if you get there early, you'll be fine. I found that Cala D'Or was the prettiest and most peaceful beach, with the use of the Hotel Cala D'Or bar and restaurant. Sun loungers were about E5 each, with an additional charge of E2 for the parasols. Cala Gran was much more suited to people who wanted to take part in watersports, and there were more families at this beach. The loungers were 50 cents more expensive at this beach, too.
Food outside the resort was quite pricey for what it was. I only really had lunch out once, which was at the Hotel Cala D'Or restaurant - A tomato and mozzarella salad, which was basic, but refreshing. It was about E8.50, though. This seemed to be the same everywhere - You paid quite a bit for not a lot. There were lots of shops and supermarkets nearby to purchase food, though, although the hostal did not have a fridge in the room.
I would recommend a trip to Cala Llonga to look at the posh yachts and let yourself feel like a millionaire for a day! There are a lot of bars and restaurants here, including seafood restaurants.
There are a lot of 'English' or 'Irish' bars and restaurants at Cala D'Or, but that's true of anywhere abroad nowadays. It's not a personal like of mine, but this is only my opinion. I did, however, come across a real find - Jumble, a second-hand charity shop run by a lovely English couple, which is great for picking up books, DVDs, and all sorts of clothes and nick-nacks. I donated some of my books when I left, as well as a couple of other things. This shop was only a short walk up the hill from the hostal.
To summarise, I think the only thing I wasn't happy with was the noise (which wasn't the fault of the hostal itself), and I think, next time, I would book a room in a hotel with a pool. I am funny about sand and going in the sea, though!!
The Hostal Talamanca was a friendly, sweet hostal with basic but functioning amenities, and a generally good location for all of the shops, restaurants and bars nearby. I would recommend this hostal to solo travellers, families and couples alike.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled solo
3 Thank MidgetJones1980
Far Eastern Enland
Reviewed 27 October 2009

We have just returned from a last minute bargain break in Cala D'Or and had a wonderful (if more expensive than expected) time.
The area is very pretty and Cala D'Or, with it's many family friendly coves and beaches, was superb. We stayed at the Hostal Talamanca - very very basic - but clean. The food was terrible so we opted to eat out daily, easy to do as the hostal is in a perfect central location.
Our favourite restaurant was called Barlovento, mid price-range and a lovely menu and we found a bar called the Little Tavern, run by a super English couple called Deb and Steve who gave us all the info we needed about where to go and how to get there.
The 4hr trip to Porto Colom on the Starfish glass bottomed boat (20 euros) was a totally relaxing experience and Palma was fun on the bus for 15 euros return fare. There are several little trains to take you around the area, the best is the orange and white one which also gives you the longest ride.
We suffered, the same as all the visitors from England, with the fall of the pound to euro value, which made it more expensive than central London and arriving as we did, late in October, meant that several places were closed, or closing, but we had the best holiday for ages and I would highly recommend Cala D'Or.

2 Thank Gillywinkle