“Good value for money”

Scotland
“Good value for money”
Reviewed 26 August 2009

Positives:
- Good value for money in Majorca.
- Hostel has a pool and patio area, good for relaxing.
- Beds are reasonably comfy and rooms are clean enough.
- Grateful for free upgrade to room in Ca Nostra (which has ceiling fan and TV).
- Cala Figuera is a lovely little place with some great restaurants, if a bit quiet.

Negatives:
- Reception/Bar area closed between 12.30 and 18.30 everyday which meant that nobody was there to ask advice of. However, staff were helpful when they were around.
- The bar was empty in the evenings and had no atmosphere.
- The shared kitchen facilties were unhygenic.
- Cala Figuera lacks nightlife for younger people/couples. However, Santanyi (5km away) has a good nightlife at weekends.

Overall, Cala Figuera is a quiet place to relax and unwind. There is not too much to do, and no Tourist information so plan what you what to do before you go.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sarah1506

Business
London
Reviewed 6 August 2009

While Cala Figuera itself is absolutely gorgeous, friendly natives and lovely views, a better place to relax and unwind you cannot find. The Hostel Oliver was a complete let down. On arrival we were met by none one, we had to search the building for our room number and key, while searching we found a room full of dirty linen strewn all over the floor. Because there was no one to greet us we were unable to discuss with the proprietors a few issues that needed to be resolved until the day of our check out. By then it was too late to mention the blocked sink (blocked with food remenants), the dirty sheets and walls and the smell of damp in the room which made staying in the room the last thing we wanted to do. We hadn't planned to use the kitchen during our stay, which turned out to be a blessing in disguise at the kitchen was filthy, there was even a snail crawling around one of the walls!!
The only contact we had with the proprietors was on our last day when they summoned us back to the hostel to settle our bill.
We had no one to ask about bus times, car rental and things to do, so we were pretty much stranded in Cala Figuera not a bad place to be stranded granted but still it would have been nice to explore the area.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Cala Figuera hotels

Cooper Island
Reviewed 6 February 2009

This is a place I never want to leave. The hostal is an excellent base to explore the surrounding area and the town, which is beautiful in itself offering an array of café bars and restaurants. The hostal has it’s own bar/restaurant with a menu that offers excellent value for money as the portion sizes are more than plentiful. The pool and patio is very clean. The owners Emma & Stuart and wonderful and nothing is too much trouble. In fact, I have had my birthday here and was given a surprise party! We have stayed here several times and will continue to return. Excellent value for money!

• Stayed August 2008, travelled with family
uk
Reviewed 22 January 2009

I had to write about the amazing week i stayed at this hostel, the managers stu and emma where so welcoming and made my families stay extre special,this was without doubt the nicest place ive stayed in through many years of travel, the food was excellent and the room was very clean, the atmosphere of the establishment was truly magnificent and i have already booked another stay for easter,I highly recommend this hostal. mr p mawdsley

• Liked — the staff
  • Stayed January 2009
Madrid
Reviewed 21 January 2009

The room was clean, but it was horribly hot, reeked of fresh paint that, coupled with the heat, made the place reek of chemicals, and the ventilation was not only inadequate, but also impossible.

The propriators were nice enough, but they were far too often not available, so although they a nice menu, no one was there to cook the food.

I suppose Hostal Oliver would suffice during cooler seasons, but don´t plan to eat there. There´s a chipper of sorts nearby; however, that food was disgusting.

Cala Figuera IS beautiful, but you can see it on a day trip from other "Calas" that have better accommodations and great selections for dining. Stay in Cala d´Or if you enjoy food and fresh air on your holiday.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Lack of food service
  • Stayed June 2008
Glasgow
Reviewed 12 December 2008

We rented Ca Nostra (the house beside the hostel) for a fornight in the summer of 2007, the house was lovely and spacious and didn't feel at all cramped even though we had 6 adults staying in it - you could easily have had more.

The Hostel and it's staff were great, very helpful and friendly. The food was brilliant and very reasonable.

My partner and I climb, and the hostel was a great base to do that, I constantly recommend it to other climbers and friends heading out to Mallorca. Not least becasue of it's great position and how reasonable it is.

In reply to the pervious review complaining about the owners children, yes they were present and yes they made some noise, but they are children all children are going to make some noise and we never found it to be too much.

The house, where we stayed, is right beside the pool my balcony looked out over it and we never had an issue with noise, certainly none that would be considered odd from a busy pool in the height of holiday season.

I also found all the staff, and owners, to be very friendly and helpful and more than willing to sort out any issues we had as soon as we mentioned them.

Looking forward to staying with them again in the near future.

• Liked — Very reasonable, great food, great location
  • Disliked — n/a
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled with family
Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed 23 August 2008

I stayed here with a friend in August 2007 for 6 nights and we had a very unpleasant experience and could not wait to leave. We considered leaving early and finding new accommodations, but decided that would be too much trouble and instead we decided to bear it for our last few nights. I would never recommend this hostel!

Our rooms were clean enough, and of a sufficient size with a small balcony. But because there is no air conditioning, the room was like a little sauna. With windows on only one wall, no cross-breeze was possible, and it was unbearable until around midnight. Then it was only just cool enough to sleep for a few hours until dawn. A small table fan would have solved some of this, and we were baffled as to why the owners wouldn't have provided that for guests. Such thoughtlessness was par for the course though:

The water pressure in the bathrooms was almost non-existent, and we were lucky for a trickle, if nobody else was showering. The trickle alternated between scalding heat and ice cold, as well. I think I was sand covered for the duration of our stay.

I have stayed in a number of hostels and understand completely the differences one would expect between a hostel and upper scale accommodation, but these problems were unacceptable even at reduced prices.

But the biggest problem was the owner's children, I should say, rather,it was the owner's themselves, who seemed unconcerned with their children's behavior as they ran rampant through the corridors, dominated the dining room and common areas, and screamed loudly from the pool area just outside our window -- from early morning until the late evening hours!! A previous review states the hostel was family or child-friendly. If that means that children are allowed to take over the facilities, and make it unbearable for other paying guests, then this is a friendliness I would bypass.

We were literally stepping over wet towels and toys dropped in the stairwells by the children and ignored by their parents. And if we were inclined to share the common areas, we would have had little chance to use a computer, catch up on some news at the TV, or even have a cocktail, since the children dominated the facilities. The TV blared non-stop. I want to be clear, I love children in general and would seek out facilities where children were welcomed. I do support a true family-environment, and I would have enjoyed a pleasant family-
run facility. But this was extreme; 3 evenings of our stay, the children ran up and down the corridor outside our room from 11 pm until past midnight, while the parents seemed oblivious. Because the problems stemmed from the OWNER'S children, it complicated the ability to complain. Our thought was if they are so oblivious to begin with, how will they possibly take our concerns into consideration. They were clearly aware of the children's behavior, but didn't seem to think it out of order. Our other interactions with them ranged from neutral to disinterested and unengaged, and so we gave up.

Our solution was to leave as early as possible in the morning and limit our time to a few sleepless hours in the late evening, leaving again before breakfast, etc. This was of course easy to do in the beautiful location,close to beaches, restaurants, and shopping. Everything else about our stay was lovely, but the ability to occasionally regroup or rest before dinner at the hostel was not possible because of the heat and the noise.

Never, never, again!!!

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — facilities in the room and noise
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled with friends
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
HostalOliver, Owner/Manager at Hostal Oliver, responded to this review, 27 August 2008
I was very disappointed to read this review and feel that I must respond to it. Whilst we do have young children (who obviously will be heard around the hostal) we have never had a complaint about them before. On the contrary we receive positive feedback all the time about our children's behaviour - how helpful they are and what bright personalites they have.
This complaint is completely unfounded - there is no way we would knowingly allow our children or guest's children to "rampage" the corridors in the early hours of the morning! As for playing in the pool during the day. our guests regularly use the pool - including young children but we ask that people do not use it after 7pm for the comfort of other guests. Mallorca in August is a very busy place and in a hotel with 60 beds you are bound to be disturbed occasionally by noise from other guests, especially from the swimming pool. The guest could have asked to be moved to a room away from the pool - we always oblige if a guest requests to be moved!
Mallorca in August is also very hot during the summer months and we do provide rotating fans to guests who ask (free of charge) but some people prefer not to have one. We do not know what people want unless they ask us.
Which brings me to my next point. I am extremely insulted by comments describing us as detached, disengaged and neutral. There are at least 50 reviews on the internet about the hostal (more specifically us) which describe us as constantly acting above and beyond the call of duty to ensure that people have a memorable holiday. We regularly use our own car to take people to the beach and into town (again free of charge...!!!)
I am again mystified as to why this guest did not speak to us personally regarding their greivances (or their desire for a fan!!). Why wait a year and then write an internet review - I have no idea who this person is. I always positively encourage feedback of any nature but I genuinely feel that this review is a slur on my business and my family.
We have been here for more than 2 years - in total we have sold more than 10,000 room nights and this is the only real complaint we have ever had (that we could not resolve..) - I think our record speaks for itself.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cala Figuera
#1 of 6 in Cala Figuera
Figuera Park Hotel
Figuera Park Hotel
#2 of 4 in Cala Figuera

Been to Hostal Oliver? Share your experiences!