“Nice hotel but our holiday was ruined by the German Music Festival”

Iberostar Club Cala Barca
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Cala Mondrago
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 15 May 2012

We (2 adults and our 3 year old Son) arrived on Saturday 5th May 2012 for 7 nights. We had a 4 hour flight delay so we were very tired. The reception staff were friendly and the bell boy "Chico" escorted us to our room which was on top 3rd floor overlooking entrance to the beach and just over the road from the rear of the outdoor entertainment stage.

The hotel was exceptionally clean throughout our stay. The living room with two sofa beds was massive with a large sliding wardrobe and sliding door to balcony on side of building. The twin bedroom was also spacious and had sliding doors to a second balcony overlooking the beach. The bathroom was very big with a lovely shower that seemed quite new. There was no bath but this didn't bother us.

The food at the main buffet restaurant and the Pizzeria were both of a very high standard. Yes the food was slightly cold on occasions, more so the first two days. Then they started warming the plates up which made a big difference! The evening meals were always nice and warm. Breakfast was always cold. We still really enjoyed the food. There was loads of tasty stuff to choose from and nothing ever ran out.

The weather was disappointing for the first day, clouds and rain but this is obviously not a reflection on the hotel. I thought I would mention it as if you go in early May you should expect one or two days of possible rain. It cleared on the 2nd day and we had beautiful blue skies for the remainder of the week with temperatures between 25 and 30 I would say. I could feel my skin tingling with the heat! So all in all we were very pleased with the weather.

The main lagoon pools are icy cold when you get in! I did brave it and once you get under and start swimming it takes between 30 and 60 seconds to feel comfortable in it. Not many could brave it and I had the pool to myself most of the time, with the exception of little children around the shallow walk in areas with parents who were not going to brave it. Our son loved bobbing around in his inflatable aeroplane and the cold didn't bother him, even though his lips went blue the first time before the sun really got going and the weather heated up big time. The first sunny day (Monday) we sat in the area opposite the only pool bar as it seemed the only place that wasn't affected by shade of trees at all during the day (a nuisance when you are a sun worshipper like me!)

It was nice and quiet on this day, although the only pool bar was shut and we had to walk up lots of steps to the bar in the Pizzeria restaurant. It was quiet, as expected in early May, so easy for us to take in turns walking up and down while the other stayed with our son.
We missed the first nights entertainment due to our flight delay which is disappointing as we were told by other English that it was the best night of the week by far.
The second evening was the multi-national entertainment team who did the 40 minute children's show from 8.00 til 8.40. Then they went on to do the adult show from 9 til 10, dancing I think. We spent most of the time watching Harry playing on the wide seating steps they have for extra bods to sit during show time. They were empty so all the kids were enjoying running up and down the width of each step and Harry was showing off his dance skills. We did witness a nasty fall by a little German boy who received a nasty bump on the head so it was a bit nerve racking watching Harry. There were loads of free tables on both the first and second night. We were beginning to enjoy our holiday as the weather had warmed up and things were looking to be as we expected.

THEN CAME TUESDAY!!! In the morning we walked over to the main pool area and had to weave in and out of an arrival of HOARDS of German ADULTS. They were all yanking their suitcases down the steps and filling the area around the entertainment stage. None of them were bothering to mind out our way as we came through with Harry. They were all hugging and kissing. We thought it was strange that there was such a massive group of people who all knew each other and were a bit suspicious that things were about to change. Change they did!
We sat in the same place by the pool opposite the bar, which opened up that morning (due to the arrival of Germans obviously). By about midday the small area was starting to fill up and by about 2.00 we were almost beds touching all around. By this time, the group of adult Germans had surrounded and completely filled up the whole of the stage seating area at bottom of lagoon pool and the tables that had been put in the area right by the pool bar opposite where we were sat. If you went in swimming you had them sat and stood all around you overlooking the pool, a little intimidating. The pool bar was forming a queue, as was the Pizzeria bar up the top. At one point I walked around the edge of the pool to get a drink and said excuse me to a bunch of men who were stood talking quite close to the edge. They completely ignored me (may not of heard due to the noisy atmosphere). I had to move around them being careful not to fall in the pool sideways! It was that jam packed around the whole area there was hardly any room to move!! Not a scene I expected in early May in a FAMILY hotel that has a silhouette of a mum, dad and little boy holding hands outside main reception door! They were all wearing T Shirts with a picture of a singer on and also on their cases. They were also singing that song “Who The …. Is Alice” around the FAMILY pool. We thought something big was about to happen and guessed that maybe it was a concert happening just that night. We were quite intrigued to see the person that was going to emerge on stage. I wish it had been Bon Jovi or someone else exciting! When the show eventually opened at 9.00 p.m. it started with a man presenting the show talking in German for about half an hour before.......... a man completely unknown to us came out singing in German for about 20 minutes. We had to push our way through the smoking, drinking, clapping and cheering fans and sit in the inside disco area while it went on as there was no room for us, sitting or standing around the pool entertainment area. We could see the stage through the French doors and it was of little interest to us anyway. We watched Harry play with another Harry on the dance floor. They were playing chase as the room was empty with the exception of a few English families who, like us, could not bear the atmosphere outside.

When Wednesday arrived we hoped that the massive group of fans may be moving on to somewhere else on the Island. Not the case! We found out that it was an 8 day German Music Festival. We were told by one friendly German man that it is held in different locations each year. We had to put up with this type of atmosphere for the majority of our holiday between 3 p.m. and 11 p.m. Then, because our room was right behind the outdoor entertainment area, opposite entrance to the beach, we could hear the fans shouting, laughing and being generally noisy until around 3 a.m. when the indoor disco finishes. On Thursday night I went off to reception at 11.30 p.m. to see about changing rooms as we had been told a beach party was arranged for the fans, due to start at (wait for it) 1 a.m!!!

We changed rooms and were given one that looks out over the big Olympic pool at top of Hotel. It was much quieter! We also used that pool the last two days to get away from the fans. But there was no pool bar. Only a self service fizzy drinks machine that had the shutter pulled over it the majority of the day. Couldn't even get water! We had to take in turns walking around to the lagoon pool bar at other side of the hotel. It's not that far really but if you are a single parent with a small child then it is a problem getting your child out of the pool to come with you to get a drink. You can't leave little children on their own around a pool! We met two people who had this problem. However, the pool was a lot more peaceful and the pool area was a lot safer for young children, even though it had no children's pool as did the lagoon pool. Our son just bobbed around with his arm bands and rubber ring and loved it! The room blocks do shut out the noise completely from the other side of the hotel. At the same time, people who had walked to the beach 10 minutes away could hear the singing, clapping and cheering from along the coast!
We were graced with children's entertainment for 40 minutes each night and we experienced 3 out of 7 nights of international entertainment for families. During these times the music fans would disappear and these were the only times there were seats available for us. On 2 of these 3 nights there were dancers of different nationalities performing to great 80's music (albeit the same dancers both nights). At these times it was how I would have expected it to be all week, with different nationalities watching but alot less of them and mainly families. I have been on holiday many times before in a predominantly German hotel but have never experienced anything like this. Our son played with a little German boy at the top end of the lagoon pools one day, whose mum and dad were very pleasant and obviously at the other end themselves due to the commotion at the other end of the pools. It was still blasting our ear holes out at the other end mind. Approximately 850 OF fans had arrived for it we were told! I spoke to one of the managers who I happened to see walking around in his suit. I asked him why this was going on in a family resort low season. He said "we um cater for um different um what do you call it". I said "tastes"? "Yes" he said. I told him that I like to party with the best of them when not with a small child but that it was totally inappropriate for a family holiday. I said for him to expect lots of complaints from families. He replied with a smug smile "No you are only the 3rd". I was fuming!!! That tells me that the bosses of the hotel probably sat together at some point and thought over whether or not they would get away with this and greed probably took over. They would have known that the families would be the minority, and how many will actually complain was probably what they discussed.

When we were picked up Saturday morning by our rep for our return journey, she told us that the tour operator were completely unaware that the festival had been planned and the entertainment staff at the hotel also told us they had been unaware beforehand. We should have known in advance and been given the option of moving to another hotel (something the hotel's manager also claimed they have as an option when I spoke to him). I told him that it wasn't an option for us when we only found out what was in store 4 days before we were due to go home! I didn't speak to him any further as it was clear he did not care in the slightest. I feel that this probably got planned ahead quietly through pure greed. We booked nearly a year ago so there would have been plenty of time for us to be informed. We also booked for this week as it was my partner's 40th as well as our son's 3rd on the Tuesday that things started to go very wrong. Such a shame it didn't go as it should have. We met lots of other English families that were also very angered by the situation. I even checked the school holiday dates for German and Spanish when we booked to check it wasn't their peak season. We met an English family who had been exactly the same week last year and they said it was completely different, a lot quieter with good family entertainment.

I have given this hotel a 3 star rating due to the excellent cleanliness and the hard work of the staff. However, I would only give our holiday 2 stars as the evening entertainment was something we had looked forward to as much as the day time. We had imagined we would be able to stay out with our son until 10 or 11 watching international family entertainment in a relatively quiet atmosphere. This was not possible most nights due to the music festival.
It is a lovely hotel with lovely surroundings, excellent food and brilliant international entertainment staff (when they are performing). I have no doubt that had the German Music Festival not been taking place we would have had the fantastic OFF-PEAK, FAMILY holiday we believed we would be getting at the time of booking.

I am making a formal complaint through the tour operator and hope this will not be allowed to happen again in a family hotel, especially without guests being informed and offered a change of accommodation!

7  Thank Sharon C
IberostarHoteles, Online Reputation Manager at Iberostar Club Cala Barca, responded to this reviewResponded 16 May 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for writing your review from your recent stay among us at Iberostar Club Cala Barca . We are grateful that you value us so highly. Thank you very much for your motivating comment. Your feedback motivates us to continue working with illusion and enthusiasm improving better services and facilities. We will continue working to improve your next experience with us.

We would also like to thank you for sharing your observations. We will certainly take into our consideration. This gives us the opportunity to make improvements and thus offer all our guests better service, which ultimately is the goal of Iberostar.

Iberostar crew will continue working to improve our services and facilities to make our guest feel welcome. We hope you will have an opportunity to return and enjoy our Hotel again in the future.

Iberostar Hotels & Resorts

Write a ReviewReviews (2,589)

Reviewed 14 May 2012

clean,good food ,friendly staff,nice rooms.....but ruined by the drunk germans.

5  Thank mel k
Reviewed 13 May 2012

We had booked to stay in Alcudia but the hotel pulled out so we got moved to Cala Barca and what a waste of money it has been! Check in took us 6 hours and with 3 kids (one being a baby) it was a nightmare as we had been up since 3am for the flight. We did note Germans were being checked in at 10.30am when the hotel states 3pm check ins! Finally got our room which was nicely set out, until we found we had ants covering our son in the living room during the night! Food was really bland and left standing for ages Sunday/Monday but come Tuesday when 800+ Germans arrived for a music festival it got a little better..when you could get to it past the Germans barging you or your young kids! Snack bars never got opened and the pool side bar only opened once the Germans started taking over..sorry sunbathing around the pool.
The real fun began when the music festival started! Loud music till gone 1am in the morning, drag queens in the middle of the afternoon and all the receptionist could say was sorry it's a private function! Not ideal with small children, either are the amount of steps and raised levels without rails or guards to safe guard small kids. I spent nearly all my time having to make sure my kids stayed by my side and the baby was stuck in her pushchair for safety. The mini disco is perfect if you are German or Spanish as was the Mini Club which wasn't available to my British kids whilst the German kids had a great time with Iberostar staff and gained medals!! Nothing to do onsite if you are british other than swim in freezing pools or play at the beach which is covered in seaweed.
We complained about ants twice in our room and twice nothing got done, also complained the AC was blowing hot air to be told it's on heating as it gets cold at night.. maybe to the locals but not when you are British and have to close the windows to try and drown the music out so the kids can sleep!
All in all if you are British and/or have a family don't waste your money! I will be complaining in writing as it ruined my holiday and i felt like the odd one out 95% of the time!

4  Thank Kim N
IberostarHoteles, Online Reputation Manager at Iberostar Club Cala Barca, responded to this reviewResponded 17 May 2012

Dear guest,

First of all we want to apologize for all the inconveniences you had during your stay. We are very sorry to hear that we could not fulfill your expectations. It is very important for us that our guests feel welcome and comfortable within the whole hotel area and we feel sorry to read that didn´t succeeded.

Our entertainment program is made with an international perspective. When they are on stage, they speak in many languages so all the audience is able to understand what is going on. Our entertainers work hard with illusion to make all our guests feel welcome, especially the children. We really apologize if you kids didn´t feel welcome this time.

This occasional music festival was a private event and we apologize for all of the inconvenience you mentioned and we are very sorry that you and your family didn´t enjoy your stay with us.

Feedback like yours is very important to us, so we know what we can improve to reach an even higher and more exclusive service for our guest. Your comment will certainly help us to keep focus on customer satisfaction and fulfillment of our hotel standards.

We assure you that we will continue working to improve your next experience with us if you would like to visit us again.

Reviewed 12 May 2012

We stayed here for four nights at the end of april. Arrived late and were given a buffet style salad. This wasn`t the best food we`ve ever had but the fact it was laid on was encouraging. Room was spacious , bedroom, living room bathroom , balcony. All lovely. Numerous pools in the complex but were a bit on the chilly side. Enough of them though. Plenty to do during the day, shooting, archery table tennis etc. Bike hire and scuba diving starter lessons. Reception staff were exceptionally helpful. Barstaff friendly and quick. Entertainment was bingo couple of nights and a singer Show at weekend.. Good stuff. Rooms cleaned very well. Spa treatments. We had the massage which was lovely. And the food..... for all inc buffet it was tremendous. What a choice from breakfast to lunch thru to dinner. Told the chef in the Med restaurant it was one of the best meals we`ve had. Fantastic food. A resort that is quietly located and is perfect for a relaxing break. 20 mins walk from Porto Perto. One small thing was at the weekend inundated with kids as there seemed to be a deal for spanish folk. Definetely recommend this hotel. Although if after a romantic/quiet time then at weekend maybe better to go to adults only. Iberostar is a place i would definetley recommend

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
IberostarHoteles, Online Reputation Manager at Iberostar Club Cala Barca, responded to this reviewResponded 24 May 2012

Dear guest

We are delighted with your powerful and positive words describing our complete services and facilities.For us is a priority to take care of the visitors properly and fulfill our guest expectations.

Thank you for sharing your experiences. We are sure that future travelers will find your tips helpful

Reviewed 12 May 2012

Even though my holiday was ruined by an event that took place whilst I was there, I have given this hotel 3* rating because of the positives it offers. I will start with the positives. The hotel itself is lovely, rooms very clean and well maintained. They contain a fridge and microwave which is ideal. There's always plenty of hot water and there's an AC unit.

Lovely grounds and pools, due to the fact the lagoon pools near the bars were too busy and crowded I found the top pool near the tennis courts and spent my last few days up there where it was much quieter and relaxing and the water was warmer too.

Most of the staff really friendly, particularly those that work in the Fotoshop, brilliant, nothing too much trouble and great photos at a good price.

There's a good selection of food and plenty of it, always being stocked up. However, it is a little repetative.

Now the negatives; I booked to go to this hotel at the beginning of May being low season as being a single mother travelling alone I wanted a quiet, relaxing hassle-free break with my son in what I thought was going to be a family centred hotel. However, this plan was totally shattered on the second day when 850 guests arrived to attend a German music festival which was taking place for a week at the hotel that I was unaware of at the time of booking. I ended up being in a situation that I had wanted to avoid in the first place. Totally crowded, music blaring out really loudly in the afternoons and until gone midnight on some nights, doors slamming, people laughing and shouting as they were returning to their rooms up until 4am! If I had known this festival was taking place beforehand I would have stayed in a different hotel or gone at a different time.

One of the life guards who had an arrogant attitude spoke to me like a 5 year old child, which I didnt appreciate. Unfortunately I did not get his name otherwise I would have reported him. As a paying customer I do not expect to be spoken to in that manner by any member of staff.

The small beach at the hotel could be better maintained, lots of seaweed, no sun loungers and also to point out it is a little rocky as you enter the sea but as mentioned by others they are much better beaches about 10-15 min walk away.

The top pool bar near the tennis courts which has soft drinks wasn't open all day, it kept opening and closing throughout the day. I know that there are other bars in the area which are easy to walk to but it would have been better if it had stayed open all day especially for people with kids who can't leave them and have to take them everywhere with you.

Check in could have been a little better managed, there were staff doing other jobs whilst people were waiting to check in, leaving one member of staff to deal with the arrivals. They seemed to be oblivious to the fact people were waiting.

If it wasn't for the fact that the music festival going on whilst I was there I would have rated this hotel higher but unfortunately this event meant I ended up having the type of holiday I didn't want. Very noisy and very crowded and to be honest I couldn't wait to get home which is a real shame because this is a really nice hotel and the holiday would have been excellent otherwise. To be honest I do not feel a family resort like this should be hosting music festivals, I do not think it is appropriate venue. I know of many people in the hotel who had also had their holiday ruined by this event.

5  Thank UKBlondie
Reviewed 7 May 2012

All in all this hotel was of a good overall standard.
Clean and comfortable rooms with more than enough wardrobe space and living areas.

Food was plentiful. not always to my tastebuds but i understand alot of nationalities have to be catered for but i always managed to find a sufficient meal.

One of my dislikes of this hotel was that although the staff were quick to greet and say hola it seemed a little robotic and never evolved into a conversation with the exception of the argentinian lifeguard who was incredibly friendly and quick to offer local advice and stop for a chat!

Another problem I personally had with this hotel that as there were arrivals and departures at all times of day and night and the blocks of rooms had little garden courtyard areas between them, i found that groups of travellers would congregate when arriving and departing making one hell of a racket and the noise caused by wheely suitcase on the tiles echos at all times of night not great when i had a restless two year old, maybe a luggage porter service would stop this problem.

Room Tip: rooms in block starting '45**' face the shade all day
2  Thank mikeysmrs07

Reviewed 5 May 2012

Really just wanted to review as this hotel as excellent!

Having read most of the recent reviews I agree, A great value hotel and would go back! Would also like try other hotels /resorts in the group

For the manager:
Food was good!
Tea & coffee facilities in room would be good!
Yes! Toasters rubbish, need replacing!
Resort had everything you'd want.
Health & safety on resort excellent!
Staff were helpful at all times! (which I find really important) 2 queues a good suggestion!
Bit isolated, so would recommend a car if you like to walk around shops! (however great priced shops on Complex) as there was 6 of us, we needed two taxis! Cala d'or 11 euros so a pricey enough afternoon out! We went there 3 times in the week!

Room Tip: No room service! Can't remove it!
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank flossey0540

Dear Guest,

Thank you for writing your review from your recent stay among us at Iberostar Club Cala Barca. We are grateful that you value us so highly. Thank you very much for your motivating comment. Your feedback motivates us to continue working with illusion and enthusiasm improving better services and facilities. We will continue working to improve your next experience with us.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Cala Mondrago
#1 of 4 in Font de Sa Cala
Iberostar Ciudad Blanca
Iberostar Ciudad Blanca
#8 of 50 in Port d'Alcudia

Been to Iberostar Club Cala Barca? Share your experiences!