“Cheap and cheerful! Had a lovely time!”
Review of HSM Canarios Park

HSM Canarios Park
Ranked #8 of 13 Hotels in Calas de Majorca
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Cheap and cheerful! Had a lovely time!”
Reviewed 20 June 2013 via mobile

My friend and I visited canarios park on the 8th June 2013 for a 1 week of sunshine and relaxation.

We arrived at around 1am and checked in within minutes, very efficient! When we got to the room we found no air con but a ceiling fan which proved extremely helpful as it kept the room cool during the day. There is also the option of having a safe, we didn't use it but had absolutely not trouble with anything going missing. The room was spacious and well maintained with a balcony facing the sea, lovely views to wake up to! Basic, but what can you expect for a budget hotel!

The hotel has 2 swimming pools, both spacious, clean and the surrounding poolside has plenty of room to bathe in the sun. they have a '30 minute sunbed reservation' period so don't worry about getting up at the crack of dawn to find some. Both pools have bars beside them with a self service option for soft drinks and a manned bar for alcoholic bevvies!

Lots of people on here have moaned about the food, I must refer back to the point that this is a budget hotel!! Yes the food is basic but it is varied, hot and most importantly tasty! The timings for each meal are ideal so you have plenty of time for breakfast in the morning!

The hotel is situated within a resort, buses run daily and there is a stop literally outside the door of the hotel, we visited palma which only took just over an hour. The main night life is in the town (15 min walk) where there are kareoke/sports bars galore. The closest beach is also on the same way into the town, beautiful and with a mojito bar to cool down at. There is a land train which takes you to the larger beach which departs every 20 minutes or so.

So to conclude we had a pleasant stay at canarios park! Ideal for families on a budget but also young people such as ourselves who are looking for a bit of sun without spending too much. The all inclusive element was perfect for us as it meant we didn't have to worry about where we were going to eat. The views from the rooms were perfect (providing you are facing the sea) and the hotel staff spoke great English and were most helpful with any requests that we had during our stay.

2 Thank alexmaggs
4409, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at HSM Canarios Park, responded to this review, 21 June 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your nice comments. We are glad to know that you have had a pleasant stay in our hotel and would be happy to welcome you back in one of our 19 HSM Saint Michel hotels in Mallorca.

HSM Customer Service

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (518)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Reviewed 20 June 2013 via mobile

We have just returned from 10 nights . I can't fault our holiday in the slightest . Yes the transfer was long and annoying but this is not the fault of the hotel , most people traveling here have booked holiday through sites where you are booking flight then hotel and transfer . My advice is book a private taxi or speedy transfer and that will resolve that issue .
Hotel is spotlessly clean and outside areas kept clean .
Food can be repetitive but is typical of a three star hotel there was always something . The restaurant is open all day and has snacks between meal times so you can typically grab something between 8am and 11pm .
The room was clean and towels changed everyday and beds made . The only thing I would say is my boys were in my room in bunk beds. They are positioned under the tv with wires hanging down and about a ft between the tv to the bed so a small child would have to be in that one . Also there is a ceiling fan instead of aircon which does the job which is fine but the bunk is in close vicinity which as you can imagine a obvious danger to a child getting in and out of bunk . I chose to put my boys in bottom bunk together .
Beach and resort ten mins walk but worth it spotless and kids loved it . The hotel mini bus runs every hour which has room for 8 we used it couple of times and the driver did make several trips despite hotel saying would only be one if there more people waiting . The town is quiet with typical tourist shops . But the bus stop is right outside the door and all 6 of us took the bus to Porto cristo for 7 euro in total . We also visted Sa coma . Bus all run to markets as well .
I refer to a prev review who advises people who rate this hotel have low standards . I have to disagree I have realistic expectations I booked 3 star I paid 3 star I didn't expect 5 star . I didn't witness any rowdy behaviour from parents getting drunk whilst children ran wild . My children prob ran all over but I know they are incredibly well mannered and considerate to other people if you want a hotel where children should be seen and not heard then I suggest you look for adult only accommodation .
Overall if you want a nice break away and you get this hotel at a good price then I would say book it !!

1 Thank Ogrt
Dear Guest,

thank you for your nice comments and for sharing your expierences with us. We are glad to know that you liked our hotel and its service. We will inform our quality department about all your suggestions and would be happy to welcome you back in one of our 19 HSM Saint Michel hotels in Mallorca.

Your HSM Customer Service
Llanerchymedd, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 June 2013

We just come back from a short brake and had a really good time .First time we have been all inclusive and we can't complain about anything the food was very good enough choice of food every day and snacks when you wanted it . Yes 2hrs from the airport well they said that when we booked it ,town was a good 10 mins walk it was a nice walk your on Holliday so what ,and the beach was about the same down a track lane that was a nice walk ,you could walk all the way round to town that way as we did a few times took you a bit longer though ,I can't understand people complaining the rooms was very clean and tidy and so was everywhere else this is a 3star hotel not a 5 and you really got value for money .The weather was very hot so what more can you say we would go back tomorrow many thanks

1 Thank wills20
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your nice comments. We are glad to know that you have spent good time in our hotel and that you liked our service. We would be happy to welcome you back in one of our 19 HSM Saint Michel hotels in Mallorca.

Constanta, Romania
Reviewed 19 June 2013

We were at the hotel in the end of May .
Knowing about the remote location of the hotel, we rented a car and that was a very good idea so we could visit the island and its wonderful places.
Calas de Mallorca (the resort) was boring ,almost empty ,just some cats.

The hotel have enough parking spaces ,outside spaces are ok ,including the pools.The beach was remote . The hotel don't provide pool towels so ,you have to bring yours own.
Food was ok, if we consider the price for all inclusive . Plenty of local drinks .
The rooms were spacious but ,old furniture .The bathroom looks better . No heating in the room (in the night was cold).
The staff was ok ,they done their best.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments. We will inform our quality department about all your suggestions and would be happy to welcome you back in one of our 19 HSM Saint Michel hotels in Mallorca.

Newcastle
Reviewed 18 June 2013

We are just home from a fab 10 night stay this hotel. My husband and I, our two kids (8yrs and 3yrs) our friends and their 5yr old son all had a great time here! Like many other people, we were a little worried after reading some of the bad reviews on here but have to stay we were more than happy with this hotel!
FOOD; You really would have to be really really picky if you were able to stay that you couldn't find something you liked at every meal... we go AI very year and paid a lot less for this hotel that we have done for others in the past and have to say the selection was better here that what we have had at some other hotels. They were very strict about 'no food to be taken out of restaurant' but were happy for you to fill picnic boxes with whatever you fancied (picnic boxes supplied by reception as long as requested in advance) Times for meals were great too, I've seen us miss breakfast a lot in the past due to Early start and finish times but not here..... Breakfast available up until midday!!!
SNACKS: Most AI hotels we've stayed at the snacks are available around pool area ( and the mess if left also to attract the flies etc) but not here, basically, whenever main meal times finished, part of the restaurant became the snack area and like meal times all food had to remain in there... I wont bother listing what was available as lots of other reviewers have already done that for you but will mention how thrilled my kids were when they realised that pots of sweeties were available with evening snacks some nights!! Pots of ice cream available in freezers at both large pools but Mr Whippy ice cream machine also an option at the main pool bar... Grab and cone and make your own, the kids loved it and different flavours every day!!!
DRINKS: The 'help yourself slush puppies' went down very well with our kids and have to admit us adults enjoyed them too! All soft drinks were available on a 'help yourself basis' which was Handy. The wine and beer was available in the restaurant for you to enjoy with you dinner but once outside you had to be served this ... Great measures, some lovely cocktails and only strict on the 2 drinks per customer after 9pm. My only moan about the drinks would have been about the pool bar... basically the pool bars open at 10.30am and 11am but before these times every the drinking water taps were turned off!! I understand the juices and slush puppies and alcohol etc having limited times but thought switching off the water tap was abit tight!! We were at the pool some mornings with the kids by 9am so had to wait 2hrs to get a drink... Tip : fill your water bottles from the machines in the breakfast hall to tide you over til the drinks are available!
hot chocolate , hot milk and tea and coffee also available
POOLS: There are three pools, main pool is lovely , great views and very busy ( we struggled to find spare sun loungers there unless up at crack of dawn!) small baby pool which is handy as right near kids play park and kids club area and third pool ( we preferred this one) is directly across from hotel , small kids part and then larger swimming area where entertainment team did a lot of the games. Pools were cleaned regularly and have to say we didn't experience any aggravation from wasps and things that were being complained about in other reviews, in fact we hardly saw any insects the entire stay!
ROOM: Our room was on the first floor (132) overlooked main pool and had lovely views and sun on balcony all day long, it was comfortable and clean and that's all we were bothered about! maid came in every day with clean towels and made beds etc. We left money and jewellery and iPad etc in room and nothing was every touched.
LOCATION: Transfer time for us was 2hrs!!! Nightmare with young kids!! Hotel has one little shop inside then nothing immediately outside until walk into town (15-20min walk) We bought few snacks and little toys in shop in hotel then walked to town and found everything was less than half the price we had just paid for it !! Some great little shops and bars in the town.... Was enough for us on a family holiday but wouldn't revisit this area if travelling without children and wanting a lively holiday.
ENTERTAINMENT : The entertainment team at this hotel really do work hard! Both the adults and children's daytime games result in certificates and medals on stage that evening (very funny ) Our kids loved the mini disco on an evening ( as they do every year and not surprising it was a lot of the same songs that we heard in kids club on holiday last year and the year before that but who cares.. The kids loved it) the adult entertainment was varied, some nights the hotels entertainment team put on different shows and other nights professional acts were brought in, obviously some were better than others but over all we had a laugh and enjoyed it. f it was something we fancied, we would have a walk into town for few hours and get taxi back (taxi 4-5euros)
Kids club was great with structured plan of action for the week and kids had to be signed in and out , my daughter did tshirt making one day (7 euros) and was presented it on stage that evening along with the other kids and was thrilled! They had a bouncy castle, kids club play park, games and pool competitions.
STAFF : We found bar staff very friendly , guys in the restaurant were very busy refilling trays constantly but always very polite. Only complaint I really have about the staff would be the Reception staff on the only occasion I actually needed to speak to them... Night before we left I approached desk to ask if we could pay to keep our room until we left (7pm transfer) instead of 12.00 midday and was told by lady on desk that I would have to return at 8am as they wouldn't no until then, I set my alarm and was at the desk at 7.55am whilst my husband and kids still slept, I was then told my two guys behind desk that manager wouldn't be in until 9.30am so would have to come back then, when I told them that 'lady last night told me 8am for a decision' they just said no and nothing they could do! so I went back to my room and Returned to desk 90mins later ... Only to be told by someone else 'might have be manager??' That he will not know til 11am ?????? no use to anyone... Told him what would be point in that as would still have to pack whole room in case answer was 'no' so we would have to be out by 12 anyway, whole point in request was that at 8am would no one way or the other and could have breakfast and head to pool and enjoy last full day properly! explained third time at desk now that morning and fourth diff peron giving diff info but he wasn't bothered and just struggled shoulders at me, needless to say I didn't return at 11am, just packed room and left cases in locked luggage room down stairs !
OTHERS : Mini golf and tennis etc available at this hotel, great fun and only 20 euro deposit (retuned to you once you return the equipment). The two small lifts in this hotel aren't really enough for the size of the place, we were on first floor but all restaurant, evening entertainment, main pool etc are on basement level so two floors down and many a night my husband carried our son asleep in pram up the stairs instead of waiting for lift as it just went up and down past our floor as so busy. One thing I was pleasantly surprised at was that even after 12 checkout this hotel DO NOT take your AI wristband off you ( many hotels we have stayed in our AI ended once we handed room key back but not here !) AI available up until your transfer arrives!
It's a budget hotel , with great entertainment staff , clean rooms with trustworthy maids, nice food and plenty drinks ...

Room Tip: we were on first floor, room 132 and had great view of main pool and sun on balcony all day long...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank KaylaB
4409, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at HSM Canarios Park, responded to this review, 26 June 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your nice comments. We are glad to know that you have had a great stay in our hotel. Our staff will be glad to read about you kind remarks and we would be happy to welcome you back in one of our 19 HSM Saint Michel hotels in Mallorca.

Swindon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 June 2013

Before booking this hotel/holiday I read the majority of the Reviews on TA and I have to say based on my experience the vast majority of people who rated this hotel highly have very low standards!

Firstly the transfer time to and from the airport is a minimum of 2 hours and that's not including up to an hour waiting on the coach before leaving the airport as man of my fellow travelers incurred.

We boarded the bus at 21.50 on Saturday evening ( 8th June) and I spoke to a couple with a small child a the back of the bus and they had been on the us waiting for an hour, they had been waiting for our flight to arrive, which was on time! My wife and I plus on other couple were the last to board the bus and we departed at 21.55. The first drop off after 45 minutes was in a the middle of nowhere in a residential part of Santaynni and we dropped off a couple of locals to their car!!!!

Various drop off of ones and twos resulted in us getting to this hotel at 23.55 where check in was very swift and efficient and they told us that we had a couple of minutes to get a drink from the bar as it closed at midnight, we did this and went to,our room on the sixth floor, as previous comments from other reviewers the lifts are small and very slow but more of that later.

We got to the sixth floor and our room (601) was right outside the lift and when entering it was about 6.5ft square and no balcony and the ceiling fan didn't work, I went right back down to reception and told them it wasn't good enough and wanted it changed, they said nothing could be done that night and I would need to come back down first thin in the morning.

I did this at 07.30 and was told to come back at 10.00 which I did and again was told come back at 12.00 as no rooms where available yet! I went back at 12.30 and reluctantly they gave me another room (516), This was bigger and had a balcony and the ceiling fan worked but I had to move my luggage so it was a good job I only had one floor to move. The room walls are paper thin so you hear everything next door
The reception staff on the whole were ignorant and not interested at all with the exception of a young lady called Tupe and a young guy called Oscar the older lady and older guy were totally useless.

Now onto some good bits; The hotel you would have to say is very clean and we had a maid service every day and fresh towels if you wanted them i.e. leave in the bath etc.

The bar staff were very friendly and very efficient and they all had very long days so well done to then all, the drinks were of good standard albeit local equivalents to the branded drinks but that said never had a bank drink all week, branded soft drinks on tap all day and the wine in the restaurant was very palatable.

The table clearing staff in the restaurant again were very pleasant and efficient and only too happy to help.

The food however and this is where I take exception to previous reviewers comments, was awful at any standard and would never be allowed to be served in any UK food establishment purely based on the fact that it was all cold or luke warm, I wasn't expecting exciting food due to it only being 3 star and an all inclusive menu but I do expect it to be hot. The only thing that was hot was the chips! There was very limited choice for main meals the best day being chicken on the Thursday, which went like hot cakes, the soup changed colour daily but not the taste!

I stuck to French bread rolls of ham and cheese for breakfast and salads for evening meal, I didn't bother with lunch but apparently lunch was the same menu as dinner.

One thing that put me off the supposedly hot food was the amount of kids coughing and sneezing all over the food! Given it was term time there was and inordinate amount of kids there so the fine system is obviously not working and 75 % of them out of control.

The pool by the hotel bar was a reasonable and had about 8 parasols but unless you got there within a nano second of them opening up the pool area in the morning normally 08.00 you had no chance of getting one albeit sun loungers were still available for about another ten minutes

The pool over the road by the tennis courts had 6 fixed straw parasols and again you had to be very quick off the mark to get one but there where plenty of sun beds available but no shade available apart from the Parasols unless you went on the grass by some of the palm trees.

activities for both kids and adults during the day was available if you wanted to join in.

The evening entertainment was awful, first couple of hours for the Kids which was no problem and then bingo top prize of a pair of Flip Flops for a full house I kid you not!

After that we had some German maniac who no one understood introduced various sub standard local or hotel staff acts. On a night all couples of various ages where seen to be along the terrace area opposite the bar all playing cards, these where the best selling item in the in hotel shop ( i asked the lady who served in there), plus you where forced to sit outside as the inside lounges were locked and was open on the Sunday night and as some of the evenings were still a little cold most people if they didn't have fleeces brought down towels of blankets from their rooms.

The beach which was only 400-600- metres away given which brochure you read was via a very dangerous path/steps leading from the back of the hotel, there is a sign by the gate saying the hotel accepts no responsibility for accidents on this path, I'm not surprised as only a goat would be sensible enough to try!

A courtesy bus is available to take you to another beach but only seats 7 at a time so gets busy alternatively you can take the little road train at 4 euros to get into the town and or the beach.

The town is about 800 metres square and has a couple of pubs and a few shops, mini golf a carousel and not much else. so unless you go via a bus to Cala D'Or ( 60 minutes and 4 euros each way) don't expect to see much.

So in summary If you want a cheap and nasty holiday where you can get wasted for nothing and each very low standard food then go for it or if you like hot and decent food and some thing to do on an evening apart from drinking in the bar then stay well away!

Oh I forgot to touch on the lifts, they frequently go past the floor you're on due to they only respond to the first selection, so if you are on the 5th floor and the lift is on the 6th floor but someone has pressed on the 4th floor before you press yours on the 5th it goes past you to their floor and vice versa on the way up

Room Tip: Do not have rooms 101,201,301,401,501,601 as they are next to the lift
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank David B
4409, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at HSM Canarios Park, responded to this review, 19 June 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments. We are really sorry that our hotel was not like you have expected. We will forward your comments to our department of quality to improve our service. We would be happy to be able to make you change your opinion about our hotel. Maybe you will be satisfied by trying another hotel of our 19 hotels of our hotel chain situated in Mallorca.

Sincerely Yours,

Travellers are raving about these Calas de Majorca hotels

Newport, Wales, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 June 2013

Back again from another 2 great weeks at canarios park, this hotel is for families so the people out there please don't go there if your looking for peace and quite. It is great for the kids with an amazing kids club, also there is plenty of great day time entertain for the adults thanks to itso,lulu,ivo and the rest of the gang,who also put together a great evening line up for the adults and kids ,the food is fresh but like others said a bit repetitive,the rooms are cleaned daily and quite spacious,

Room Tip: We had a ground floor room number 2 which had a massive balcony which if you have little one and the...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Darren U
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your comment. We are glad to know that you have spent great 2 weeks in our hotel. Our hotel staff will be delighted to read your nice remarks as they are trying to do their best to make our clients´ holidays really special and it is always great to know the clients appreciate their hard work. We hope to see you again in Hoteles Saint Michel.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Calas de Majorca
Sol Calas de Mallorca
Sol Calas de Mallorca
#2 of 13 in Calas de Majorca
Blue Sea Gran Playa
Blue Sea Gran Playa
#18 of 29 in Sa Coma
Sol Mirador de Calas All Inclusive
Sol Mirador de Calas All Inclusi...
#11 of 13 in Calas de Majorca
#56 of 58 in Cala Millor
OLA Aparthotel Cecilia
OLA Aparthotel Cecilia
#6 of 7 in Porto Colom

Been to HSM Canarios Park? Share your experiences!