“Lovely hotel”

HSM Canarios Park
Ranked #7 of 13 Hotels in Calas de Majorca
“Lovely hotel”
Reviewed 1 September 2014 via mobile

We spent 8 days here in august with 2 children aged 7 and 5. The hotel was lovely and clean and the staff and entertainment team were very friendly . The entertainment was good fun and the kids club was a big hit with my children , all if the animacion team were keen for everyone to join in all the fun and there were plenty of activities for all ages . The rooms were in the small side and could have done with air conditioning although the fan did the job if on the noisy side. There was plenty for the kids to eat and drink however the food was not the best although there was always pizza and plenty of salad on offer . A great place for families with a regular bus service to the local beach . We did book a private transfer which took 45 mins compared to the 2 hours on the resort hopper .

Stayed August 2014
1 Thank amycx
4409, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at HSM Canarios Park, responded to this review, 11 November 2014

Thank you for your evaluation and kind remarks.

We are happy to know that you liked our hotel and that you appreciated our service.

Our staff in specially our animation team, will be glad to learn of your positive remarks, because their most prized reward is to know that their efforts to make you feel comfortable have paid off.

We would be more than happy to welcome you again in our hotel or in one of the hotels within our “Hoteles Saint Michel” chain in Mallorca.

HSM Customer Service

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (506)
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Reviewed 31 August 2014

I travelled with my mother and I am in my forties. We had a lovely holiday at this hotel but I firmly believe any holiday is what you make it.

On arrival we were checked in very quickly even though we had arrived before the check in time of 2.00. This was very useful.

As others have said it is definitely best to book a speedy transfer. We were the only people on our mini bus and arrived in an hour. However, we heard stories of others who had booked a coach transfer and had to wait hours for a delayed flight then had a lengthy transfer time.

Our room, on floor 6, was incredibly clean throughout our stay. Even after we had been to the beach we never found any sand stuck to our feet after the cleaners had been. I cannot praise them enough for that. The rooms were pleasant and although the fan was a tad noisy it did take the edge off of the heat at night. The beds were very comfortable and where we were was very peaceful. We had enough space for two easily and were impressed at the constant supply of hot water for washing and bathing. As for getting to and from our rooms: we walked down each time but never had a problem getting a lift up unless unsupervised children were playing in them.

This brings me to my main gripe which is not entirely the fault of the hotel, but they should do more to address it. The pool was full of children with infaltables, often so many you could not find a patch in the pool to swim. Also a lot of them were equipped with water guns and cannons and they were indiscriminate as to where they fired them, which was annoying for the people whose belongings ended up wet even though they were not that close to the pool. Quite a few children were unsupervised and behaved just as they pleased which included shoving other children into the pool without warning. Adults and children were bombing and throwing each other in? There seemed to be a great disregard for the safety of themselves or others. I was also surprised at the amount of children who were allowed (by their parents) to eat and drink in the pool. I work with children and do like to see them have fun with their parents and to make new friends but this should not be at the expense of other children and guests.

Extras that I thought were very good included the safe hire cost. You have to pay 20 euros but you get 5 back. This is brilliant when you consider that we have paid as much as 60 before. The wifi was 15 euros but worked brilliantly so I could keep in touch with my family at home as much as possible. On the day we left we were being collected before the breakfast time but were able to book (the night before) an early breakfast. We could have much of the continental breakfast for this. We thought this was a nice touch. Another useful thing was to be able to book a picnic for days out. We booked one and found that the picnic was self service. You had to collect a paper bag from reception which contained plastic cutlery and condiments. You then went to the restaurant and collected what you wanted. The problem was that there was nothing to put the food into. We took empty bags from by the toast machine before making rolls to put in them. My tip would be to take plastic bags with you and tubs ;).

The food was, as others have said, repetitive but it was very well cooked. I put on a fair bit of weight so it was definitely edible with enough to please me. There was a lot of pork dishes which were nice but pig trotters should maybe taken off of the menu as most people avoided them.

We had a lovely few days at the beach but on one day several people were stung by jellyfish. To hire 2 sunbeds and an umbrella it cost 12.40 euros. Getting to the beach was interesting as lots of wild goats live in the ravine and were fascinating to see, if not a bit smelly.

Throughout the day you can get drinks and ice cream from the pool bars. The cocktails were incredibly sweet, the lager was lovely and there was a very good selection of alcoholic and soft drinks available, either self service or from the bar staff. The staff didn't seem that cheerful and my attempts at speaking Spanish hardly drew a smile so I gave up. Perhaps they had had some bad news that week. Mostly they were efficient and did not have a negative impact on my holiday. I just felt a bit sorry for them... Maybe it was the badly behaved children! Also the bar and bins in the main pool area were a bit smelly ( also not nice for staff) and could do with more frequent deep cleaning. However it did look very clean.

The hotel is in the middle of nowhere really with a 20 minute walk to the small area of shops and bars. These did not seem very busy and we did not eat or drink anywhere but the hotel as I like to see what the food looks like before I buy it. At the times we were in the town I did not see people eating anything that I liked the look of. This meant we spent hardly any money on this holiday as we made more use of the all inclusive.

Over all, we did have a very nice holiday, loved the hot water and were impressed with the cleanliness of the rooms. We probably would not stay here again unless it was a bargain price as there are so many other places to go and see.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
5 Thank dollydaydreaming

We are grateful for your evaluation and your commentary.

We are glad to know that you liked our hotel and that you appreciated our service.

Our staff will be happy about your positive remarks, as our first priority is to make your holiday as enjoyable as possible.

We would like to thank you for your constructive criticism and confirm that we have passed this information on to the person who is responsible for that area in order to ensure improvement where possible.

We would be happy to welcome you again in our hotel or in one of the hotels within our “Hoteles Saint Michel” chain in Mallorca.

Guisborough, England
Reviewed 31 August 2014

For non English nationalities, please replace the above with Jerry Springer

We are a family of mum, dad and twin 7yr old boys. We stayed all inclusive at the 3 star HMS Canarios for one week, commencing Sun 17th August 2014.

Briefly:

Pros: friendly staff

Cons: poor food, overcrowded small pool and surrounds, dreadful class of clientele.

In detail.

We arrived at the hotel about 1.30pm in the afternoon after a 50 minute taxi ride. We had heard that some coach transfers take between 2 and 3 hours because of the distance from airport and numbers of drop offs. The taxi though costing a little more was hassle free.

Upon arrival at the hotel the reception staff were very friendly and helpful – as they were throughout our stay - and we were allowed to use our room immediately.

Room
We stayed in room 626 on the 6th floor. A basic, clean room intended for 2 but had a bunk bed crammed into it, overlooking the pool and the sea in the distance. We found sleeping on the top bunk totally impractical as a TV was fixed to the wall at the bottom end of the bunk and it was so hot up there anyway.

The advertised air conditioning was in fact a ceiling fan. It was quiet and quite efficient really. We left it on throughout the night.

We had maid/cleaner service every day with daily towel changes.

Hotel & Grounds and Bar
The hotel is situated on it’s own at the end of the resort in a quiet location. Reception is on the ground floor and restaurant/pool/entertainment areas are on a floor below that.

The pool is quite small and due to the time of year (peak and kids school holidays) it was packed. There seemed to be enough sunbeds to go around but had to be tightly packed to fit them in. You still have the Brits setting their alarms to queue to grab the ten parasols on the poolside for welcome shade from the burning sun.

There is only one (open) bar in the whole place – there are a couple closed inside the hotel, I guess for rainy days. The bar is on the poolside but it was never a problem obtaining a drink. Even at night where an orderly queue forms, several staff make short work of serving.

There are six or seven tables at the bar with 4 parasols for some welcome shade

There are a few cocktails to choose from but these are dispensed from a ready mix press button machine behind the bar. I tried a mojito, it came out a lurid luminous green and tasted horrid.

Soft drinks are self service and there are slush machines, full of chemicals, that the kids love.

Next to the bar is a freezer full of little ice cream tubs

Over the road at the front of the hotel is another pool and bar area. It is quieter there and probably nicer.

The grounds are well kept with free mini golf and ping pong. Our boys and I played every day and they loved it. There are also football/tennis/volleyball pitches.

Restaurant
The restaurant is a decent size and basic looking, the staff are nice but the food woeful unless you don’t mind chips for every meal including snacks. We are not ones to moan about food but the choice here is very limited. Not once was there beef or chicken breast to be had.

On the first day, my wife tried the paella but it was dry, stale and appeared to have been left overs from a couple of days before.

She will eat almost anything but all she had, every day of the week was ham rolls!

The kids had fish fingers, burgers or chicken nuggets with chips. Not healthy I know, but it was only for a week.

Drinks in here are the same as at the bar (but no beer) and always in small disposable plastic cups.

Not a nice experience.

Night Time Entertainment
The best I can say about this is it was at night time and it was a kind of entertainment. They consisted of:

The kids reps putting on a show for 2 nights which were pitiful. The highlight being how many skips a guest could do on the stage!
A terrible magic show.
Karaoke – entertain yourselves – we can’t be bothered!
A 10 minute obligatory parrot show.
An acrobatics show, where all they did was handstands and somersaults – well, you get the picture!

Clientele
Oh my God! The worst of English holidaymakers I have ever had the displeasure to see in all of my 40 years of travel. I say English as we met some really nice Welsh people and never heard Irish or Scottish voices.

At first we likened the scene to the British TV comedy show of Benidorm but after realising that these were real people we decided it was more like simple chavs from Jeremy Kyle or Jerry Springer.

Lots (not all) had little or no parenting skills. The way the adults spoke and treated the children was bad enough but the unruly behaviour of lots of the kids was terrible. They were feral.

A few of the ‘for instances’:

• 2 young girls threw coins at us on the poolside, from the sixth floor, the first two actually bouncing off the table we were playing on with our boys! My wife raced up there and gave the kids and their parents it, both barrels. To be truthful, the parents were not aware and were well embarrassed. But just think of the injuries that would have caused especially to our children and even more so if they happened to look up after the first struck our table.

• 3 families had obviously met on holiday and every single day they would take over the bar area using three tables, a dozen chairs, two parasols and then drag over 4 sunbeds, thereby stopping anyone else from sitting in the shade for a few minutes to enjoy a cool drink. They would go in and out of the pool and even for their afternoon naps!!! But not before ensuring towels and garb were left draped over every piece of furniture they could claim. They were horrible horrible people.

• The above families letting their kids run absolutely riot squirting water pistols all over and throwing balls on elastic at anything that moved (or didn’t move).

• Parents complaining that a staff member in the free Kids Club had the ‘cheek’ to tell them (the parents) that their child was misbehaving and that he wouldn’t listen to them or do as they asked and was disrupting the others!!! REALLY?????

• A kid turning up at it’s ‘parents’ sunbeds near us, the man then asking ‘have you had a good day? What did you do this morning? Did you have any dinner? What did you do this afternoon?

I know everyone’s holiday is there own time but do people really take their children on holiday to palm them off onto total strangers for a full day? I would wager a bet that that child didn’t see it’s parent at all during the day for the entire holiday! Scandalous!

• A man using obscene language in front of children, threatening a member of staff with physical violence because, in his drunken stupor, he thought he should have been let into the restaurant 5 minutes past 11pm, after it had just closed for the evening. His wife dragged him away whilst I and others watched disbelieving and in amazement.

• An adult leaving excreta in the pool on three occasions – a few days before we arrived. This was told to us by a reliable source. The pool had to be cleared for several hours each time. The source told us she believed he had done it on purpose because of an argument with hotel staff!!!

Beach and Town
There is a small beach about 10-15 minutes walk away. It is accessed by steep dodgy steps or by a dirt track that takes a little longer.

The beach is quite nice but can get crowded due to it’s size. There is a pay bar/café there and some locked toilets. I guess you have to be a paying customer to use them?

A larger beach can be found about half an hour’s walk away, neat to Hotel America.

On the way there, there are a number of nick nack shops and bars. We stopped off at Bar 19/Hole 19 for the boys to have a rest, a drink and a couple of rounds of novelty mini golf whilst we had a couple of cold Strongbows!

I think the 3 star rating would normally be about right but unfortunately it was the ‘guests’ who dragged it lower than that.

2 Thank james4eva

Northampton
Reviewed 30 August 2014 via mobile

Just arrived home lovely hotel well equipped for children of all ages. Short walk to local beach also Free bus service to main beach. Food Ok 3* rating not 5* cuisine but we where always full just a bit same things each day but all nice things. ***Transfer from airport we was advised 1 hour and 5 mins approx it was actually 2 1/2 hours with all the drop offs!! Pay the extra for better transfer can be done in 55 minutes*** but overall a lovely friendly family holiday.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Funkyshoes2014

Thank you for your evaluation and kind remarks.

We are happy to know that you liked our hotel.

Our staff will be glad to learn of your positive remarks, because their most prized reward is to know that their efforts to make you feel comfortable have paid off.

Minehead
Reviewed 29 August 2014

We returned from a 10-day stay at Canarios Park yesterday. The initial transfer from the airport to the hotel was soooo long which was not a great start but we learnt from that and upgraded to a private taxi for the return trip - an extra £52 - WELL worth it. 3 1/2 hours in a coach is too long for kids and also wasted a lot of our first day. On arrival, though, we were impressed with the look of the hotel and the reception staff were very efficient and there was no queue or waiting around at all. We checked in and were in our room within a few minutes. We were quite impressed with the room when we first got in as there were bunk beds for the kids and 2 decent size singles for the adults, however, the room was fairly small and we did start to feel claustrophobic in it by the end of the holiday. Adequate for our needs though and at the end of the day you spend more time out of the room than in it! As other people have commented, the room does get hot and air con is not included - however, that is apparent on booking and you are aware at that stage so no complaints really as they do offer air con units to hire at 70 Euros or so per week. So anyone who is desperate for one can do that.

Our first afternoon was spent by the main pool which was hugely busy and chaotic so we soon realised there was another one across the road with another bar, and that was far nicer - although then we discovered the kids' pool and a nice shaded area near there, by the Mini Club (kids club) and that was where we spent the second half of the holiday. It was lovely there and also it is near a little kids play area with a slide etc so ideal if you have little ones - we have two aged 3 and 9.

The catering was fantastic for such a big hotel and there was anything and everything you could imagine - even for fussy people like me! There were some odd things like pigs trotters but to be fair that was a small part of the food selection, there was also every salad vegetable you could imagine, chips, pizzas, cold meats, cheeses, and lots of cooked vegetables and a few main course choices each day, i.e. burgers, roast chicken portions, etc . There was also a huge pan of paella served at lunch and dinner which looked amazing, however, I am not a fan of it so didn't eat it but for those who do like it, it looked very impressive. Breakfast was great with - again - anything and everything you can imagine - eggs, bacon, bread for toast, French bread, pastries, baked beans - loads and loads of choice - even chips if you fancy them! The full English wasn't quite how we have it - i.e. hot dog type sausages and floppy streaky bacon - but to be fair they did their best.

The entertainment in the evenings was almost so bad it was good but we enjoyed it and the bingo was a nice bonus - and all done in good humour and fun. The kids entertainers were fabulous and very good at their jobs - always happy and jolly, and the kids loved them. They worked day and night to ensure the kids had a great holiday, and the mini club was there during the day for the kids too - and they had lots of things for the kids to do like T shirt decorating, pony riding, darts, sports activities, you name it. there were also sporting activities for teenage children and adults, i.e. darts, shooting, archery - all included and at no extra cost. in the evenings they present certificates and "medals" for the winners, which is really good fun and a nice little bonus.

We did feel the hotel was a bit over crowded when we went but being late August and the end of the school holidays you have to expect that and we fully appreciated that.

All in all amazing value for money, a great place to go with amazing scenery and a little bonus was there is a little mini bus doing very regular transfers to the beach if you like that, however we found ourselves at the hotel all holiday other than one trip to the beach just to see what it was like - the hotel has more than enough facilities and unless you like sight seeing you really don't need to leave the complex.

ONE TIP - we took a pre paid money travel card with us and you cannot use this in the hotel, only Euros - or they will exchange sterling. Thankfully though - and a huge positive - is you really don't need an awful lot of money to go to this complex; everything is genuinely all included. Someone did comment that bottled mineral water wasn't but I personally wouldn't expect it to be! What was included was very varied and there was huge choice - so no complaints from us. Do be aware though that the wine is draught and not amazing quality, however, it is acceptable and there is other stuff to choose from (but no cider which for my Somerset husband was a bit of a shock!!). Cocktails are included too and although they are pre mixed they were really nice. The spirit measures were VERY generous and one measure of gin easily did two G&Ts so be aware that if you don't want to get hammered then order just a gin and then split it between two cups and add tonic!! Not really complaining though - when you get more than you expect you can't really..!!

Excellent value for money and the hotel had lots of very lovely staff, if you go there keep an eye out for a lovely waitress called Seyna who was very charming and always happy to help and have a little chat.

Thank you Canarios Park for a lovely holiday; we really enjoyed it and people have commented since I returned on how relaxed and happy I seem - I was quite stressed before I went away for various reasons and this holiday has really helped me to relax and refresh myself. Thank you again, and we hope to visit next year! Please say hello to Seyna for us (mention Oscar, our little boy who took a liking to her!) and keep up the good work.

8 Thank jolizzielamb

We are grateful for your evaluation and your commentary.

We are glad to know that you appreciated our service.

Solihull
Reviewed 29 August 2014

Very much bargain basement, £1,300 all in for a family of three so I shouldn't complain.
Room - we were on the 5th floor and the room was small, clean and towels changed every day. Balcony very small but enough room to sit and chat. Fridges are available to hire.
Food - as all the others have said, boring and repetitive but you will not go hungry. Beer is good, wine is average and the Cava is horrific ,
Pool area - you really do not want to go to this hotel if you have no kids, to be honest you probably don't want to go if you have well behaved kids either. The pool is great and if you are early enough you can get a decent spot. A lot of parents lying on Sunbeds rolling "ciggies" while Destiny, Savannah and loads of other chavvy kids run riot, this carries on into the evening but like I say, just over a grand all in so what do I expect.
Met some very nice people and saw some pretty awful ones. Just because chips are available at breakfast it doesn't mean you have to eat them !!!
Still got two days to go and now getting the feeling we want to come home, definitely the worst (but also the cheapest) holiday we have had. Will return to the island but not to this hotel or level, pay a bit more if you can and leave the chavs to themselves.

1 Thank BrummieVizsla

Thank you for your evaluation and kind remarks.

We are happy to know that you liked our hotel.

Your concerns and suggestions have been passed on to the person who is responsible for that area in order to ensure improvement where possible. Your constructive criticism is always greatly appreciated.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Calas de Majorca
Club Hotel Tropicana Mallorca
Club Hotel Tropicana Mallorca
#4 of 13 in Calas de Majorca
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,138 reviews

Been to HSM Canarios Park? Share your experiences!