“2nd year in a row - only gets better.”

Hotel Globales America
Ranked #5 of 13 Hotels in Calas de Majorca
Mansfield, United Kingdom
“2nd year in a row - only gets better.”
Reviewed 10 July 2010

This is the second time my partner and I have visited Hotel America, and if that isn't an indication as to how good it is... then I suppose the numerous families and couples we met whilst we were there who had been 3 times already, and were already booked to come next year, should also speak for the hotel too. In fact, we met a couple who had been to Hotel America 6 times, in as many years.

It is one of the friendliest hotels I've ever stayed in. The receptionist staff are lovely, speak perfect English and are always willing to give you a hand or recommend something to do. The bar staff, although work long hours, are always friendly and polite. I've read numerous times on here that the staff can be rude. I figure that people react to how they're being treated. If you're being standoffish and rude to the men and women serving you, do you really expect anything different. I liked to offer a smile and a quick "How are you?" before ordering. The staff were really responsive and by the end of our stay at the hotel were greeting us as they walked past us by the pool and corridors. It's all about manners, if you're not extending them, don't expect them. OK, rant over.

I suppose the most important part of the holiday to most people is the food. Now at this hotel there is never an excuse to go hungry. Breakfast, dinner and tea are all served in a restaurant, buffet style. Now, I am a picky eater. I don't like it, but it's true. I eat with my eyes and if I don't like the look of something, I don't eat it. But I found something to eat every single day. The meat is beautiful. I had some beautiful steak while I was there. And the spaghetti carbonara - the best I've ever had (and I'm engaged to an Italian). Sometimes the food looks a bit dodgy, but when you actually sit and eat it - most of it is beautiful. But if you genuinely can't find anything in the restaurant, there is a pool bar serving burgers, chips, hot dogs, sandwiches etc from 10am-6pm and a pizzaria open from 12pm-12am, serving pastas and pizza (obv.) I didn't really rate the pizza, but my fiancee loved it. It's all personal choice. AND if none of that takes your fancy, they have a BBQ from 6:30-9pm (I think, don't quote me on that, I only went once), which served lamb chops, kebabs, sausages... Yummy.

Drinks are definitely not watered down and you'll often find yourself asking for smaller spirit sizes because the bar staff definitely have weak wrist control. Vodka and coke, with 4 parts spirit, 1 part mixer. They blow your mind. And it's similar with all the other mixer drinks.

Alright, the rooms are comfortable. They're not 5* rooms from the ritz, and they're not decked out with lux. But, the beds are OK (although, easy to fall through when things get a little... erm... rigorous, or when drunk, but they're just slats and go straight back together), you have a big wardrobe, and a few drawers for your clothers. The bathroom is decent, with both a bath and shower (ideal for families). The cleaners were good and came in every day (unless told not too) and changed towels and sheets. I also found they were good at leaving our stuff alone. I've been in hotels were cleaners put stuff away in drawers and it's always made me feel uncomfortable. If you've left your make-up and stuff on top of the dresser, it stays there.

OK, entertainment. I said this last year, and I'll say it again. The evenings where the hotel team runs the entertainment, are hilarious. They're all funny and aren't afraid to make a fool out of you. Both my partner and I were pulled up on stage a few times, and while we may have embarrassed ourselves, those moments become the best part of our holiday. I nearly won a 3 day break, in any Globales hotel in the world (inc. Argentina!), during a quiz... I didn't win, but the night was great. However, that said - some of the professionals the hotel brought in were a bit cheesy and a let down, but we didn't really see a lot of them and went into the resort instead.

Now, the resort. It's small. There's no denying that. But we went shopping in Manacor and Porto Cristo (both supposed to be better resorts) and were very disappointed. The shops aren't much better in either of the other resorts, and the goods are twice the price of those in Calas. The atmosphere in the resort after about 9pm is really good and there are a few good bars and stuff if you want something different from the hotel entertainment. I really enjoyed walking through the resort and looking at all the little nick-nacks. There's a centre bit for children, with bouncy castes and Go Karts, and there's a few mini-golf places.

What else is there to say? If you're a young couple, like we are, I'd suggest this hotel/resort if you're looking for a quiet holiday to just unwind and relax. We went on one excursion, to see the Pirate show in Magaluf, and the transfers were long (but worth it, I'd definitely suggest going to see it!). Really this is a resort centered around families and while we'll probably go somewhere else next year (just to break out of our shell a little), I would not hesitate to come back at a later date with children. Your kids will never be bored as the entertainment staff work all day to keep them entertained with different activities and kids clubs.

This hotel really is a winner, and I'm still surpised it's so cheap. At £800 for the two of us, for 10 nights... you can't go wrong.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank cshepherd7

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (581)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
durham
Reviewed 9 July 2010

Me and my partner are in our early 20's and we had a fab time like all places thou it had its good and bad points for us the bad points were the entertainment everything was very family orientated gr8 for if u have children bt not so great if u don't. The sunbeds where chained up till round about 9am which was a gr8 idea till u got someone pushing you out the way when they were relised. and the only english chanel on the tv was CNN which we were v bored of after a day. the good points how ever is tht is is extremly clean (and im fussy) the only mess that was around the pool was left by lazy people who couldnt b bothered to walk 10yrds to a bin. The food was fab there was always something different on we stayed for a week and there was never the same selection on also the pizza and pasta bit is lovely. the rooms were basic but comfortable but all have a lovley view of the beach. all in all for what you pay for it i can't see how any one can overly complain we would definatly go back.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank buttons36
Cumbernauld, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 July 2010

We stayed for 7 nights at start of July. We were a bit worried about the food being all inclusive and having a 4 and 6 year old with us. This hotel has excellent choice of food with a kids buffet at lunch and dinner in the main restaurant, plus the snack bar and pizza/pasta bar. We feel all we did was eat; the quality of the food was great and a few of the chefs were English. Our room was lovely in the annex building at the side of the main hotel. The pools are a bit deep though and with younger children it is a bit of a worry when they are walking around the pool, so water wings are a must, it could really benefit from a better kids pool. The kids were kept entertained with the hotel kids club and at night the mini disco was fun and games. Most nights there was a professional show too. The beach is fab too. If you feel a night away from the hotel is needed just up in the shopping area there is a little fun park at the far right corner with kids go karts for 1 euro and bouncy castle and fun house for 2 euros for 20mins, excellent value and happy kids. Wish we’d booked for longer and are thinking of a return trip next year.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank Kokonuti
leeds
Reviewed 7 July 2010

The hotel was great, it overlooks a lovely cove and everything is kept very clean and tidy. However, on arrival we were designated a room that had obviously been added on and was through a fire exit door onto another staircase. It didn't have a balcony and there was no bath, only a shower that was tiny. The TV was on some drawers which were on the other side of the room to the plug socket and there was no air con. Considering every other room has a balcony, bath, air con and functioning TV we werent happy at all. We asked to change rooms and it was sorted the next day but if you are put into a room like that i would definitely suggest complaining and asking to move rather than just sitting tight for the whole holiday. These rooms would be acceptable if they were offered at a discounted rate but not when everybody is paying for the same thing, it's just bad luck. Other than that, though, the hotel was great, the entertainment was very good apart from the games for kids usually ended up with the same older kids winning every day - not really fair on the younger ones!

1 Thank amyling
Northumberland
Reviewed 7 July 2010

only stayed a week but that was long enough.Trying to get a sun bed is a problem as these were getting reserved as early as 6 oclock in the morning along with sun cannopies.People reserving sun beds then dissappear the most of the day.Even the beach space gets reseved with towells as early as 6am.Food ok not always hot/entertainment ok.Some good acts.rooms ok.Very little in the way of shops and area a bit run down in places around hotel.

1 Thank Michelle1010
Essex
Reviewed 6 July 2010

The views are amazing!!! Food was plentiful and always had something to enjoy. Rooms are cleaned daily!! Receptionists are so helpful!! Plenty of bars and shops nearby!! We couldn't have asked for more!!! Will def be going to Hotel America again

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with friends
Manchester
Reviewed 4 July 2010

We stayed at the Hotel America at the begining of June for a week with our 7 year old daughter and had a great time. We didnt arrive until gone midnight but the reception staff for very friendly and helpful. Our downside was the transfer time from the airport to the hotel which was over 2 hours!
This hotel is great for families with children of all ages, there were lots of activities going on throughout the day for kids and adults to keep everyone busy and the entertainment staff were all great. Evening entertainment was mainly held outside and as the hotel is overlooking the beach it can get a little chilly due to the breeze so take a jumper or cardigan. Entertainment itself was good, I was a little worried as bingo was on everynight after the kids disco and before the main entertainment, but the guy who does the bingo makes it fun and you can win a decent cash prize on busy nights! My daughter enjoyed the evenings which was one of our priorities as we didnt want her getting bored.
Rooms were basic but clean, maids came everyday. Pool area was cleaned every morning. Drinks are served in plastic cups which is good as no chance of broken glass.
I do have one bad point tho and that was the life guards!!.... useless!!! So please be aware to keep an eye on your children if they cant swim as the pool becomes quite deep quickly!! I myself had to jump in and pull one little girl out and I know a few other parents had done the same as the life gurd was either in the pool bar chatting or on his mobile phone!!.
Overall we had a great holiday at Hotel America.

Area - beach is lovely and clean and within easy reach but there were a few steps to climb!. Not much outside the complex, few bars(which are open till early hours) and retaraunts and gift shops?. Most hotels are all inclusive so everyone tends to stay in.

3 Thank Tamxx
Club Hotel Tropicana Mallorca
Club Hotel Tropicana Mallorca
#4 of 13 in Calas de Majorca
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,139 reviews

Been to Hotel Globales America? Share your experiences!