“HONESTLY!!! YOU WILL REALLY ENJOY IT HERE!!!”
Review of Club Cala Romani

Club Cala Romani
Ranked #11 of 13 Hotels in Calas de Majorca
Reviewed 12 June 2011

As the saying goes you get what you pay for! I have stayed in 5* hotels in the Maldives and also 1* B&B's in Blackpool so when you book a 3 star in Spain its more like a 2 star in the UK. So here I go...............

Rooms - Very Basic but clean (what more do you want!) Cleaned every day we were there (1 week) We had booked 2 rooms, a 3 bed room and a single room. I would advise not to try and sleep 3 people in 1 room as 1 of the beds is a sofa bed. We were lucky that they were only 4 of us staying so we moved 1 of the 3 people to stay in the single room. All 3 beds would also be in just the 1 room and honestly I wouldn't even let a child sleep on that sofa bed. Just sitting on it was hard enough. there is no TV or anything like that in the room, you can hire 1 for 25e for the week but you will not really get any english clannels anyway - so save your money.

Food and Drink - The food is really good. I have had a lot worst in 5* hotels. There isn't as much choice as i have seen in different hotels but what there is is good. We went for breakfast a few times but this is quite poor - are breakfasts good anywhere in Spain? I like my British Sausages etc etc and you will not find that here! My advise would be stay in bed a few extra hours and just eat in the hotel for lunch and dinner.

There is also snacks alvailable all day. You will find cheese, meat, breads but thats about it! They could have done with putting a few different things on between meals.

From 10.30am until 7.45pm all drinks (apart from sprits) were self service @ the pool bar. San Magel, Sangra, soft drinks, Tea, Coffee etc etc which was great becasue there was no Q's. If you wanted wine or vodka etc you just had to get this from behind the bar.

The drinks are fantasic - no water in the vodka or beer here!

Entertainment - The pool area is super, best I have seen in Spain by a mile. Loads of stuff to do for the kids and adults in the day time with the entertainment team. Blow up water slide for the kids (5e for all day - I think thats really good!!!) Lots of sunbeds and green areas where you can sun bath like we did as we didn't have kids with us and wanted to get away from the noise at times.

Night time entertainment is good. Great for the kids with nearly 2 hours of games from around 8pm and then a show or bingo etc. Club closes at 12 @ night. The entertainment team really do work hard to make your holiday enjoyable. The entertainment manager has been there 25 years so that says something about how well its run.

You are 10 min walk from a lovely beach and 5 min to shops and bars, where there is also mini fun fairs, ponys etc for the kids. For the younger adults there is also bars open till 5am in the morning if you can last that long.

We traveled as a young couple and 2 people 40+ and we all really entoyed our stay. In fact we enjoyed it that much we are going back in Aug this year with 17 of us (adults and kids)

This review is a very true reading of what it really is like here, all the staff and holiday makers are really nice! If you get a good deal get it booked!

6  Thank LeeML

Reviewed 11 June 2011

We booked this hotel last minute because we thought we'd found a great deal and the recent reviews were good. All i can say is i'm pretty sure the staff must be posting the decent ones, because my husband and I can barely think of one good thing to say about this hotel! We arrived late on a sat night only to find the restaurant was shut- this was down to our transfer getting lost, not the hotels fault but it means we can't comment on dinner as we never made it. But if breakfast and the snack bar is anything to go by i should imagine it was disgusting. We checked in on arrival and the staff we're pretty rude. We went up to our room and was thoroughly disappointed - very close to tears! It was EXTREMELY cramped with the cot (for our 1 year old) so much so that we couldn't even get into the wardrobe. It also stunk of smoke as soon as we walked in. There was a broken light fitting hanging of the wall with all the wires exposed- health and safety???? The bathroom seemed clean on first impressions but the more you looked the more the exposed rusty pipes and pugs jumped out of you. Also they put us right above the bar area so it was very noisy and hard to sleep. Plus i'm pretty sure the walls were made out of paper as we heard pretty much everything from the corridor to the noisy group of young lads next door, drinking to the early hours.The next morning we went to breakfast. The food hall was dirty, the breakfast was cold and not a great selection. We also walked into the snack 'room' only to walk right out again! Disgusting. We decided we couldn't take anymore!! we went back to the room to pack and on leaving the room the door handle came off in my husbands hand! Luckily he twisted it back on and we managed to escape. On leaving the hotel the 'English' reception man did not seem surprised at all that we were checking out after such a short stay, did not even ask what was wrong and when we told him about the door handle he just laughed! Please don't waste your money on this hotel. Overall not a very pleasant experience! BUT........ on the plus side we did discover the resort Cala D'or (where we moved onto) and loved it! perfect for families and couples.

Room Tip: Don't stay here!
3  Thank jocwickham
Reviewed 11 June 2011

The family and I (teenage daughters & 5 yr old son) had a very pleasant and cheap holiday at Club Cala. I have read the most recent reviews and most are positive, the only negative one obviously comes from a reviewer without children. This is a hotel catered for families; I'd advise couples to try elsewhere. Lots of positives about the hotel- Arrived after midnight and staff opened up the snack bar which was a great touch. Snack bar same food every sitting but compared to hot dog or cheese toastie in Kos there seemed more choice including salads, meats, breads and cheeses-plus fruit and juices. Our room was in a block away from the main entertainment area which was good as I'd requested a quiet room. The room was large and basic and had recently been painted so the Mrs told me! (I have no sense of smell!) 5 beds in 2 rooms plus kitchen area with hob and fridge and a table and 4 chairs! Balcony double sized-plenty big enough to watch the ensuing thunderstorms! Clean towels when required and room always cleaned-no problems on that score. There was no air conditioning but we did have ceiling fans, only problem our ceiling fan was probably the noisiest in the whole hotel! The food- There are some points that I have to concur with for example toaster issues, totally inadequate if you wanted that for breakfast! I did find that as the food went down and you were left with the dregs the food was obviously not as hot as it was when first put out!! (Common sense really?) I couldn't agree that the food was disgusting- always a good choice of dishes(yes there were chips for breakfast?!?) But generally different meats and veg, choice of cold meats, cheese and salads as per usual, an area for pizza and spaghetti and the the usual puddings with mousse, fruits, ice creams etc. There was a pizzeria next to the main eating hall which was a nice change with freshly made pizzas. The trouble though as stated by previous reviewer - the queues. Even in June when the hotel is not at it's fullest there were queues for tables. There just isn't enough seating to accommodate all the guests, so imagine the difficulties in the main Summer holidays! The staff though had to work quickly to move plates and dishes in preparation for the second sitting! The hotel has good pools and a little play area for younger children. The usual tennis courts, football pitch and volleyball opportunities were available and things for children like blow up water slide, hamster balls? on water, bouncy castle and trampolines but all at a cost! We never struggled to get a sun-bed even at half 8 -9 o'clock, there were plenty and no need to get up at half 6!! We enjoyed the walk to the beach and didn't struggle to walk back up the mountainous? uphill climb back to the hotel!!! Lovely little beach, soft golden sand and turquoise waters and not too deep enabling us to walk out quite a way. Not very commercial a couple of shops nearby if you need ices/drinks etc. I wouldn't complain about the town myself, last year we had a choice of only 2 shops to look round at Puerto St.Miguel in Ibiza, so to have a little market type area to ramble round with lots of great little shops was great for the teenagers and for us too really! Generally a good hotel that is really for the family but could get very busy in the Summer

5  Thank thefastwalker
Reviewed 7 June 2011

If a cheap holiday, waiting in queues, lots of kids and you don't care what you eat then this is the place for you. The Hotel is too big and understaffed, is grubby and needs a total refresh. Basically had too queue for everything. Restaurant smelt of grease when you walked in, there are just two extremely slow toasting machines for circa 1500 people, so a rather large queue for toast each morning, chips at every stting, great if your a child I suspect, kids running round, waiters/waitresses clearing the plates on trolleys next too you whilst you ate your meal, brushing the floor again whilst people were eating , we were all inclusive but ate only breakfast in the hotel (toast) after day one as the food was disgusting and only luke warm. We checked the food each day and it got no better so we ate out. It was help yourself to lager and soft drinks but again had to queue and dodge children filling up paper cups and spilling it everywhere attracting wasps/flies. If you wanted a spirit then again you had to queue and it was a max of 2 drinks per person, we were a party of 3 so 2 had to go for drinks each time. The main bar notice states all inclusive finishes at 12, well not true, 11:50 if not at bar then you did not get a drink, not even if the bar was enpty they would not serve you. The pool area was a nightmare, kids running all over the place squirting water all over the place without a care of who got soaked and their parents well they didn't care so long as the child was nowhere near them. Not enough sunbeds, had to take your towel down at 6.30 am to get a bed, even then the beds are all on top of each other. The beach was a 10 min walk downhill going but quite a hike uphill coming back. The area itself was quite small with very lttle too do. Can't comment on the entertainment as having seen the entertainment room, again huge with butlins/pontins style rows of tables and chairs with little room too move and hundreds of kids running around we decided not to stay. The room was basic , the bed linen was clean and towels changed daily but only a ceiling fan NO AIR CON , we had poor weather and it was still too hot, we had a 3rd floor room so could leave the patio door open , I would guess it would be unbearable in the height of summer. Would I go back - NEVER .

Room Tip: I would say a room with a sea view
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled with friends
3  Thank reddebi
Reviewed 7 June 2011

Don't be put off by the negative wingebag's, who like to go abroad and expect foreign countries to cater solely for the English drinking beer louts. Like we would do the same for them in our Country!?!?!

We went during school holidays (2 adults, 1 child, age 11yrs) a bit aprehensive and actually was pleasantly surprised. The transfer did take around 2 hrs, but you got to see a bit of the Island, which I enjoyed whilst partner and son caught up on their sleep. Definately recommend going to the loo beforehand though as we were all bursting!!!!

It is an exceptionally large hotel with extra blocks dotted all over and I wouldn't say it was dated, it's just Spanish! Everything is done quickly and the staff work very hard, a bit like you are on a conveyor belt, but this is a bonus, as who wants to queue for ages. Rooms are adequate, clean and acceptable although matresses are extremely firm, don't bounce on them as you might break something!

Main food is bound to be a bit different from ours but is actually really tasty and they had paella one week, although there is always pasta, pizza, cheese, bread and salad if main courses don't tempt you. Oh and there was chips for breakfast, lunch and dinner for fussy kids!

Outside facilities, grounds, pool and drinks bar are superb. The football pitch and pool was a hit with our one. The beach is beautiful, but is a 10 min walk up/down slopes, wouldn't recommend for lazy slobs! The caves of drack is a good visit if you're interested in that sort of thing, which I was, although partner and son found it boring and nicknamed the 'caves of crap'.

Entertainment was inside a large dark hall and became very busy. A couple of good bands but nothing to write about. Spent some evenings in the town which was pleasant, not much for teenages I would guess.

So all in all a good/average family break in an ok part of Majorca. I personally would recommend Cala D'or/Ego's if you want somewhere a bit more classier.

HOPE THIS HELPS - ENJOY!

7  Thank muffins1969
Reviewed 6 June 2011

this hotel is brill lovly big swiming pool great entertament team my kids loved it self service drinks all day beauterfull pool area just a great hotel all round and the kids will love it as me and my wife did

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
9  Thank kazza_deep
Reviewed 6 June 2011

Myself and my fiance spent 10days at this hotel at the end of May. We had struggled to get a good deal anywhere due to the timing of when we could go on holiday this year so ended up with this hotel rather than actually choosing it.

On arrival at the hotel it looked dated from the outside and inside but we couldn't really fault it. Our room was clean and the fan was welcome but would be a nightmare not having air con in the summer heat. Shower was hot and our towels were changed regularly. Rooms either had a pool or sea view. I'd advise asking for a sea view like us as we got the morning sun including gorgeous sunrises and also we were away from the noise around the pool.

The pool area was very large, but obviously that meant alot of people! There were plenty of sunbeds as long as you reserved them with your towel before breakfast. We only stayed by the pool one day as it was our idea of a nightmare! Ridiculous entertainment...water aerobics etc with the most annoying cheesy music playing. Wasps everywhere because of people's lack of understanding of what a bin was. The sunbeds could have done with mattresses but luckily i had brought a lilo from a previous holiday to use.

Could not fault the food at all. Plenty of variety over 10 days although you always get the typical English moaners who dont like trying different food even though they are abroad! Drinks plentiful as you help yourself although the fizzy drinks were covered in wasps too. No queues for food or drink, except if you went at opening time of the what i can only call the canteen! Don't expect to come and have a nice dining experience, it was just get in, eat and leave!

The beach was lovely and only a 10 minute walk away so could go down and still come back for lunch. However it did become crowded quickly. Reception were helpful and even posted regular updates on the state of the weather...we had 5 cloudy/rainy days out of 10! Not impressed that you had to pay 5 Euros for a pack lunch though as this was one of the plus points when we booked the hotel. We declined on that. Staff were friendly and helpful.

Overall we cannot complain about the hotel as it does exactly what it sets out to do. If a butlins holiday abroad complete with cheesy hideous 'entertainment', kids running riot with parents who couldn't care less, and just sitting by the pool all day everyday is your idea of 'fun' then this is the place for you to go! Call me snooty but i'd rather see the island that i'm staying on and make my own entertainment. Thankfully we booked a hire car the whole duration of our holiday and saw the whole island, including many more wonderful beaches and the mountains, therefore not needing to stay in the 'hell hole' of a hotel other than to sleep there!!!! This hotel was only ever going to be a base to sleep.

Thankfully we paid an ok price for it. I would never return to this hotel and would not recommend it for couples looking for a relaxing holiday. I also would not bring my children here either, there are so many better places to go and explore.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
Globales America
Globales America
#8 of 13 in Calas de Majorca
Sol Mirador de Calas All Inclusive
Sol Mirador de Calas All Inclusi...
#2 of 13 in Calas de Majorca
Tryp Mallorca Santa Ponsa
Tryp Mallorca Santa Ponsa
#18 of 35 in Santa Ponsa
Sa Posada d'Aumallia Hotel Rural

Been to Club Cala Romani? Share your experiences!