“VERY DISSAPOINTED!!!”

Ranked #9 of 13 Hotels in Calas de Majorca
Gosport, United Kingdom
“VERY DISSAPOINTED!!!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 September 2012

Myself and my partner booked this resort, after weeks of looking for a nice family holiday.. After reading countless reviews, we finally settled for Cala Romani..At the time, this resort sounded like the place for us, with its great Facilities, and Entertainment for both Children and adults..

We knew the transfers were going to be lengthy, and so we excepted this, but what we hadn't expected, upon entering our room, to what felt more like a steaming sauna at 1am in the morning. Exhausted and very hot, with no way of cooling down, we all had a very restless nights sleep.. I may add though, their was a ceiling fan, but did very little to make sleeping more bearable!..Please bare this in mind when travelling in warmer months, especially with children!!... On the plus side the rooms were clean, and reception staff welcoming..

When getting up on our first morning, we tried to remain optimistic, as the sun was shinning and the pool was very inviting.. Initially the food seemed nice, but became VERY repetitive!!..and after two weeks, we were really fed up with the same thing...The restaurant/piggery was awful, total chaos!!, I guess this was because of the huge volume of guests, but really didn't make meal times at all enjoyable, and got to the stage, where I dreaded going for meals. The restaurant staff worked very hard though,I would say made the best of a very bad situation..

Very strangely, after 24hrs upon arriving at Cala Majorca, we soon realised, that we didn't have a rep, and therefore, we had to find everything that was going on around the Hotel and resort out for ourselves..this was quite stressful at times, as some of the people who worked in the resort, were not very friendly or helpful,and only seemed interested in taking you're money..

The evening Entertainment was dreadful, When people have describe it as Butlins in the sun, they are really not over reacting...it was truly terrible.. Sadly it was all in doors!, even though it was a beautiful 28-30 degrees outside...There were many outside activities set up during the evening for the children, ranging from 3 Euros to 5 Euros a go..this was very annoying, and very costly...I felt very sorry for parents who had more than one child, it must have cost them a small fortune!!.. ( A complete rip off springs to mind)

The pool itself really was lovely, but again, it was so stressful trying to get a sun bed, and We often felt like sardines all cramp around a very busy pool.. The Lifeguard often seemed grumpy, and I feel, enjoyed asserting his authority..He closed the pool off on a number of occasions, because children had had accidents in them and although I understand for health and safety reason, this was company policy, It was the way he went about it, shouting and screaming at people, and with a face like thunder!!.. .

Over all, I definitely would not stay here again, Me and my family worked hard for this holiday, and we were really looking forward to it, but I think we may have got less stress staying at home...

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank sarah m

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (666)
  • Polish first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 September 2012

Listen if you want a nice cheap holiday for the family its ideal! I paid £1100 for all 5 of us to go all inclusive for a week. That works out at just £30 each per day, so ypu carnt really expect the food to be fantasic can you? Breakfast consits of full english everyday, dinner has a mixture of english, italian and german foods as dose tea time! Its not fine dinning, more like food from your works canteen but its eatable! People where complaning but what do they except for the money. We went down town and the food just looked the same in the paying restaurants! The entertainment is pritty much like a spanish version of haven holidays. Kids mini disco on frim 8 till 9 and then each night they had either an act on or got people on stage from games! Each night the was a bouncy castle, tamoplines, speheres and market stalls erected in the hotel! The rooms are really basic but are clean! Reminded me abit like blackpool guest house rooms but personally i wasnt bothered because you dont go on holiday to sit in your room! The staff were great with us always willing to help! The pool area dose get full but there wad easily enough sunbeds and beach was fantasic! Callas de mallorca is a tiny place with just a few shops and restaurants but you can just get the local bus to a host of destoations, we went to port cristous and it only cost €7 for all 5 of us! In conclusion for what we paid i would go back! You get what you pay for, so make the most of it!

1 Thank Msddd
Suffolk
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 September 2012 via mobile

After reading some of the reviews on here I was very dubious about what to expect...I was pleasantly surprised, Club Cala Romani is NOT the unwelcoming prison serving inedible food and flooded with wasps that some people would have you believe!!

We travelled in a group of 10 (aged between 18 months and 68 years) we had a transfer time of 1 hour 15 minutes (both ways) and were greeted by a friendly reception team in arrival...we requested rooms together and were allocated them and during the stay were supplied with extra towels and pillows as requested promptly.

The hotel in general is large, clean and well organised, the pool area is definitely the focal point (yes, there are wasps but by binning empty cups they stay away!) and is well equipped with sunbeds (and we didn't have to set and alarm to get them!!) My daughter enjoyed the kids club and play area and the men enjoyed the range of activities (tennis, pool, table tennis etc) and the path to the beach is both handy and easy to walk with a buggy.

Rooms are basic (but not the most basic 3* I've ever stated in) but clean...yes, it can get warm and air con would've been nice but I knew it didn't have it when I booked so don't think it's fair to moan about it!

The bars and restaurant were busy but we always got a table and found that the 'two drinks per person' rule meant queues quickly passed at the bars...the food is plentiful and fresh...each meal has a wide choice of bread, pasta and salad with at least one type of potato, rice, veg and fish and two types of meat and desert (although a bit repetitive at times) offered a great choice of fruit and ice cream pots.

We didn't always see the entertainment of an evening but the children's disco was a hit with my children as was the bouncy castle (3€ for 15 minutes)

Overall, I would recommend the Club Cala Romani to anyone wanting a good value 3* holiday (with or without children!)

3 Thank mrspastie
Blackpool Lancs
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 September 2012

Arrived back from this resort yesterday Saturday 15th September, so I will start at the beginning. After a 2hour 20 minute flight we arrived at the airport, were we got quickly onto our shuttle service and then waited some 40 minutes until the bus was full. Some 12 drops and 3 1/2 hours later we finally arrived. Booking in went quickly however as other people have said there was nowhere to get a drink, I did spot a couple of vending machines down the far end, so I asked for change which the reception staff gave over. The hotel seems to split into 3 blocks, the main hotel which seem for couples travelling together and the other 2 for larger groups and families. We were in the main Hotel, being 2 of us. We made it up to our room, which at first glance seemed OK, however going into the bathroom I found dried sick staining the back and bottom of the shower curtain, a mouldy green waste trap and broken wall tiles. Excited I wanted to look out over our balcony view, when I drew back the curtains we had a great view........of the main road. We open the doors to let some air in as the Hotel says it has AirCon, it doesnt!!. We adjusted the fan speed in the room, but slowed it down when it looked like it would rip off the ceiling. No TV you can rent one at 25 euro, but only 2 english channels, CNN and a sports channel. In the morning we went straight to reception and mentioned the shower curtain, which was changed by the afternoon, also 17 Euro for safe key. So off to breakfast, which is the best meal of the day in this Hotel, however avoid the scrambled egg as its minging, taste burnt and off at the same time. So we had a walk round the complex, looked for the place where you get your toewls for the pool as it's all inclusive, no they don't do that so we had to walk into town and buy 2. The pools are very nice, but the photo's make it look bigger. The town is a short walk from the Hotel, lots of shops, bars and places to eat, we had a lovely meal at Little India. We got our towels and a few other things and headed back for lunch, there are 4 hot plates and normally they all serve different things not here, 3 serve the same thing and one does pasta and pizza, there is also a pizza restaurant, which is very good. I spotted Paella a Spanish dish made by Spanish Chef's, worst thing I have ever eaten, how can you screw up your National dish? There was also a spanish omellette, saw that same tray at Tea Time and it resurfaced next day at breakfast, that sort of thing happened a couple of times. During Lunch or Tea they close down the coffee machines for some bizzare reason, so you have to go out of the dinning room to get one!!. We went down to the beach in the afternoon, bit of a walk, but very nice, 12 Euro's for 2 sunbeds for the day or just up the hill there is a cafe were you can rent one for 2 Euro's all day and it has showers, toilets and food and drink and 2 minutes walk back to the beach. So after that we went to the pool bar to get a drink, several slushy machines, pop, water, coffee and tea maker, so not bad. 2 drinks per customer served in small plastic cups, not even half a pint, luckly we dont drink much. The all inclusive cocktails come straight out of a machine and are vile. There is a Family Bar downstairs and quiter bar upstairs, but because of the size and amount drinks allowed they are constantly busy and you spend a lot of time in a queue. So our first real evening in our room, had to keep the door open, probelm with thats is after 8pm there is a constant stream of coaches pulling up outside our balcony and that carried on til 12pm every night, after midnight all the drunks walked pass, shouting and balling, that carries on until about 2 am plus you can hear music from the town til about 12. Next day as my wife was drying her hair the electric in the room went out ........Yay. Fixed again by the afternoon. The meals during the week weren't anything fantastic, through the Calamari was lovely. One thing we noticed during our week was..........how do I put this without sounding like a snob, which I'm not having served in the Military, I have a few Tattoo's, but our kids when they were young, always behaved and did what they were told, but the place is full of Chav's, with screaming kids. who don;t listen to their parents or the parents just dont care what there up to. Would I stay here again, probably not, would I stay in a different Hotel in the area, probably. The resort area was very nice and Majorca is a nice place to Holiday But I would rent a car and drive there in an hour and a half, instead of the bus journey.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Derek H
London, UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 September 2012

I stayed here for a week in June with three friends (aged 24 -26). We had requested ajoining rooms and were pleased when we actually got them. Our room was not overlooking the pool, but was on the otherside facing the road - this was not a problem as the road was quiet and there was fairly pleasant view on that side. The rooms were spacious, clean and airy. The locations of the hotel is excellent - very close to the shops and bars and only a ten minute walk to the beach. The hotel has a wide varieties of ages staying there ranging from families with children to elderly couples. We had picked this hotel as we did not want a tacky party hotel and we were pleased with our choice.

The pool area is large but you still have to get down there early to get a decent sunbed. Also, various activities going on by the pool throughout the day could be slightly loud, but we had anticipated this when we booked so not a problem. Alternatively you can go to the beach which was very nice.

The food was much better than we had expected - lots of variety to cater for all different tastes. My favorite was the paella. The wine available at dinner was shocking, but you can order drinks at the pool bar to take into dinner.

There were a wide variety of cocktails, spirits and drinks available throughout the day - again much better than we had expected.

The transfer from the airport is very long, as per some of the reviews we read before we came however we chose to fly at unsociable hours so the time on the coach allowed us to catch up with our sleep.

Overall I would recommend this hotel. There are some bad reviews which I would ignore. I think for the price you pay for the hotel it is good value.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
4 Thank Traveller1987
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 September 2012

Well what can I say went 10 days ,cleaned well wasps were nightmare but never got stung 4 out of 9 got I'll sickness diahrea and ear ache but food was very very repetitive and will definitely be not returning nightmare in end air con did ineptly needs sorted ASAP !!!!!

Travellers are raving about these Calas de Majorca hotels

Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 September 2012

i have just returned from here after a 10 nights holiday, there was 8 of us total ages ranging from 3 to 42 years.
this is my second time at the resort, and is hasn't changed much, even the staff are the same. on arrival to the hotel, they could not find my booking so spent the first 15 mins waiting for it to be sorted, of which the lady on reception did without a problem and was very helpful. plus she also recognized me from previous visit. we was all put in same building and same floor even though opposite ends of the building which didn't really matter. the rooms were rather spacious we had a double bed and two single beds which you could also pull out a bed. nice sized bathroom, lovely view from balcony and at the quieter end of the resort, which was ideal esp having a 3 year old.
the complex was the same 3 pools ranging from diff sizes, they also had an inflatable slide which had water at bottom that you could go on all day but HAVE TO PAY FOR THIS. there was kids clubs and activities for the kids and adults to participate in and get a certificate presentation at end of day in mini disco.
there was a supermarket in the site, they also had a bouncy castle and trampolines at night time which YOU HAD TO PAY FOR ALSO but kept kids entertained lol
the restaurant is a fairly big size big of a pain if loads of you as the large tables would be took up by greedy people of a bout 2 who didnt really need it so maybe these people could think in future !!
well the food is what you expect for AI salad, pasta , chips, pizza, fish, chicken but was always something to choose from on one night the did a pork joint with veg, a big cheese display and fish display which was nice food does get repetitive but what do people expect when they go all inclusive fillet steak and chips !!!
the bar was always tidy and didn't really take long to get served and good measures as well, evening entertainment was ok something different every night plus karaoke in the upstairs bar every evening
the town is literally a 5 min walk up the street with shops, pubs, restaurants, mini golf play area with bumper cars etc, we found a nice pub behind the supermarket and near the chinese called Sinatra's where they do cocktails, beer etc tow for 5 euro's and free internet when you there lol as we found out one night
overall we had a brill time, lovely weather, kids enjoyed them selves very much an got a lovely tan in process
was glad to come home especially as a rather rowdy bunch turned up night before we left who took all inclusive to the extreme where drinks were concerned drunk by nine pm and very loud and rude even when we went to bed you could still here them

Room Tip: we was in the galazta building end room lovely an quiet spacious room no air con but fan in there wh...