“Not bad for the money” 3 of 5 bubbles

Club Cala Romani
Ranked #9 of 13 Hotels in Calas de Majorca
“Not bad for the money”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2013

We booked this for our Honeymoon, a last minute kind of deal, rest of our monies spent on the wedding! Not bad for all you pay, the food is more quantity over quality, snack bar is crap, only so much salad and tasteless cheese you can eat! It's the same snacks every day, the bread rolls are hard, but there's a microwave you can heat them up in to make them a bit more edible. You can't take food out of the restaurant, but you can have fun watching people sneak it out in napkins n stuff lol Hotel was really clean, but needs serious updating, our loo was wobbly. Entertainment is bizarre, music during the day was butlins 60's.. The pool is a great size, beach is a short walk away. Book a private transfer, wish we did, three frickin hours for a 60k journey which should've only taken about an hour!! There's not much to do in the town, same tat shops you get everywhere, but there's a really nice ice cream shop. We took some money to eat out now and again, but it's the same stuff you'd get in the hotel, only really expensive and whatever it is comes with chips & warm salad. We did get a traditional paella & litre of sangria deal, but it was €30, was worth it though. Would go back, but only for a few days & only if it was on offer.

Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (666)
  • Polish first
London
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2013

We booked a one week all-in holiday between 18/6 and 25/6.
Initially Mallorca is not the ideal place for this time of year, a bit windy and you may even see rain , in short, not the summer sun kind of thing.

We were given our room key upon arrival and a little map to show us the way to our flat, (yes it's that far!) I, like many of the fellow human race, am disabled and the walking I did made me shrink from going out to breakfast many times.
It's a big complex so beware!

I had a car, there's just about enough parking spaces, it would have been a disaster to walk anywhere if I had no car.

So if you're large size, diaabled, have heart or breathing problems, bad leg(s) or simply a lazy person (I am some of those) your better in a room, not a flat or a different hotel altogether.

Rooms/flats
We were given a flat with two rooms which are spacious, I am talking apartments here, no idea about the normal hotel rooms. So can't tell.

Anyway, the two rooms, a bedroom and a bed/living room with an electric cooker and a small fridge, a sink, with cold/hot water all day and a toilet/bathroom of reasonable size bath/shower. It would sleep 4 (single beds) uncomfortably if you like a decent size bed.

The rooms had a wardrope each, four single beds, a telephone (doesn't work) and a kitchen table and a small coffee table.

However there was no tv which I surely would have liked to have at least for news or something.

If the weather goes too hot, you will have to put up with ceiling fans, oh the noise they make must have been used by Franco to torture prisoners.
You wouldn't want to open the balcony doors either, it was windy for us. If the hotel's full you will hear people's whispers.

Our flat was facing the rear of the complex, which is not a bad view at all!!! Or let's say makes no difference. it's all dark everywhere anyway.

The lifts were ok, always available, about 80% occupation I believe.

Yes the walls are thin you can hear next door guests, but we didn't have a next door neighbour in the first place so I can't really tell.

There were two cupboards in the living room, no idea what for!
Would have nice to have a few glasses and spoons.

The balcony was big and nice but once the sun's gone, that's it, it's all darkness.

Room cleaners come daily, but they only put the sheets back, they actually didn't replace our towels, or clean anything for some reason.

I would give the flat 7/10

Now the pool, it's quite big and there's plenty of chairs and sun lounges, people put their towels at dawn to book them, but we always managed to find a place.

The deepest point is 1.20m and there's a shallower one and a baby one and another separate pool too.

So unless you really want a deep pool you'll be alright. I prefer swimming to just standing, but others don't.

I noticed they closed one pool because someone vomitted once. So they do care I must say.

I would give the pool 9/10

As for morning activities I saw volleyball, archery and there are tennis courts too. You bring your own balls and rackets i think

There's a lady that does like water aeropics, she does her best, there are too many guests and not enough staff, too many activities that are simply unknown like French bowels for instance, never even heard of it.

There's just minimal evening entertainment, chlidren club is deserted and empty, but I saw like a creche one day where they do face painting, they play some wierd music in the dark theatre near the bar, I feared sitting there, kind of creepy.
I have been to places where there was 10 hours of activities per day.
So I would give entertainment 4/10

However, there's a serious point here.
There's plenty of games machines of all types all over the place, you have to pay at least a euro to have a go, I saw many children wasting euros in it. To me this is gambling and should not be available to kids.
Pool tables are a euro/frame, and I think you pay for table tennis and tennis too, never tried it anyway.

There's a very expensive shop inside and people selling little bracelets and a woman who does women and children's hair. She charges €20 for half a head, a rip off for me!

They do like a bouncy castle, €3.50 for 15 minutes!!!! Another rip off. It's because she probably shares with the hotel.

And I saw like a go karting course but that must be costly too, if not altogether dangerous! Only saw it being used only once.

All this I think should be regulated, and if the hotel wants to make business, they should at least make it affordable and controlled
So I would put this against the hotel administration.

Food and drink
There's a machine that vends coffee, milk, hot chocolate and water, and another that does coke, 7up, etc. a third machine vends pineapple, grapefruit, and apple juices, and another gives crushed ice in 3 tastes, I don't the name of it.
Another that does wine and beer I think.

However, I saw people fill up coffee just to bin it the nearest place, the rest of the drinks, well you decide!

As for beer, wine and spirits, there's plenty of those. However, I can't drink so no idea if they're good. They serve cocktails too, I saw people getting drunk on that stuff, so it must be alright.

The food is so repetitive and tasteless I went to eat out everyday, perhaps other people don't mind it, but vegies, Muslims and Jews are in deep trouble because pig products are in just about everything including salads sometimes.

There's a snack bar which serves bread, cheese, and ham, won't mention it, it upsets my stomach.

I give drinks in general 8/10
As for food, I simply don't know, I only had lettuce and canned fruits.

Staff are alright, but the receptionist lied to me when I asked for a pool view, he said the hotel is full, I know it wasn't. I'm alright about it as the pool is just as dark anyway.

The hotel advertises a route to a beach and there is an alleyway that takes you there, however, if you're disabled don't ever try walking down that route it's so tiring, and if you make going, you will never make coming back as it's uphill, so you're better off going out of the hotel and walking to the beach. Or going any other beach, that one isn't good anyway, I have seen much much better beaches, here there's waves and rocks and I wouldn't really go near it.
I would rate the beach experience as 0/10

Media
One warning here, not only is there's no tv, but in order to get wifi you have to pay a ridiculous price, €5 for six hours, and if your phone/ipad is turned off, you need a new tocken to reconnect, even if you're still within connection hours.
So internet wise it's ZERO/10
If I could put a negative number, I would have.

Disabled friendly?
Noway, you MUST either use steps or walk a 100 meters ramp to get to pool level, and things are so far in between you would give it a miss to avoid the walk. So that's 2/10 for me.

The only option to break the boredom is to go out of the hotel, right? No, no such luck.

Cales de Mallorca is a dead city, with a small few shops open near Samoa hotel, and that's just about it really. I have been to a kebab shop, not bad, but the others are highly priced, too far to walk to, and because of traffic regulation you drive 3km to get there.
The nearest medical help is in a different city called Manacor, so should you need a hospital, you're in trouble, big big trouble.

We had a car for this trip, so we went away everyday. The beach at porto cristo is wonderful, also in cala d'or and I think there must be better places to visit than Cales de Mallorca.

I saw a Lidl shop in Cala Mayor, at least I wouldn't pay €50 euros for just nappies and water!
I would give the area 2/10

All in all, I wouldn't come back here, it's probably alright but not for me. and wouldn't recommend the area, there are much more better areas.
Cala d'or, porto cristo, cala mallor, are all better on all accounts.

So: <out of ten marks>
Disabled access 2
Area. 2
Staff. 5

Total: 40/100

I know I am disabled, and that my experience but you mom, dad, definetely grannies would feel the same, younger people may also be with disabilities, I wrote for this kind of people.

• Stayed June 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank paltalker

Travellers are raving about these Calas de Majorca hotels

Canvey Island, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2013

Just returned from Cala Romani, I was in a party of 9 (6 adults and 3 Children) and stayed for a week.

Hotel

Fairly rated as a three star, but no more. Rooms basic but clean, bed linen changed twice in the week and towels daily, can't complain at that. Had to put towels out early for a decent sun lounger space. Reception staff pretty helpful, although we were not allowed to keep our room on for a late stay as the hotel was fully booked. In the end, it didn't matter too much as there was a large room to keep your luggage and decent showering facilities to cahnge later in the day.

Restaurant accomodates 600, but it wasn't too stressful to find a table even for 9 of us. The food was buffet style with plenty on offer, some dishes were excellent others, below par, but you certainly wouldn't go hungry, there was always something for everyone.

Pools

Really good thing about this hotel. There was a small splash pool for the tiny tots, a larger one for the 4 - 10 age group, another for adults and children to share and a further one primarily for adults. The good thing about them was the gradual inclines, ideal for the children. A life guard was on duty for most of the day. The pools were very busy all day long!

Activities

There was a good range of activities for children and adults throughout the day and these were well organised. The aerobics around and in the pool were well attended and a lot of fun even though the music was extremely loud at times. Overall the day time activities were very good.

BUT!

The evening activities were embarrassingly poor. The nights that professional entertainers were hired were ok, but the animation team were absolutely hopeless. A couple of the worst examples was that of the 'High School Musical' and the so called 'Comedy' evenings. The HSM was actually mimed to and the members of the team didn't even know the words to the songs, terrible! But there was worst to come, the comedy night was squirmingly embarrasing! How the animation team leader ever thought that it was fit to present to an adult audience I'll never know. The nightclub rapidly emptied after about twenty minutes of this drivel, thankfully they had some football on the tv in the club and I watched that instead. The daytime entertainment, I would rate at 9/10, the evening entertainment at 1/10. No wonder after dinner all you could see was guests streaming out of the hotel in droves to find something to entertain them!

Every evening, 4 bouncy castles were erected around the pool areas, which was great fun for the kids, but at 3 euros for 15 minutes for each one, you can soon rack up some serious spending!

Shop

Very expensive as you would expect from a hotel shop, but useful if you want to go to the expense of a british newspaper. A tip for Mums and Dads, buy your inflatables from the little town (5 minutes walk away), they are half the price. The hotel was full during our stay, but incredibly the shop shuts on a Friday. If that was my business, there would be no way that I would lose a days revenue in the height of summer!

As you have probably already read, the transfers from the airport are a nightmare and can take longer than the actual flight from the UK. Thankfully I booked us a private minibus which was very good and our transfer time was 50 minutes each way. It was well worth the extra expense, especially when travelling with children.

Overall, this hotel is only good for families (even though there was a hen party staying), the children loved it, but my wife and I certainly wouldn't go there on our own. If you want a quiet holiday, this is not for you, there are children everywhere!

Room Tip: There are two blocks of apartments at the back of the hotel, these are certainly a little quieter aw...
clydebank
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2013

we went as family (11) of us children and adults what we heard re the transfer we booked a mini bus 45 minutes and we were at the hotel a lot less hassle.
Hotel was lovely, 4 pools, clean rooms, towels changed every day if needed, food was alright town a short walk away, where there were bars and nightlife.
Magalu it is not!!!!! but for a holiday with kids fine.

Room Tip: there was no fitness cantre or room service
essex
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2013

Returned from a weeks stay on the 19 th June. well I was impressed! Not what I expected people saying no shops only 2 well they must be blind the centre was about 3 minute walk away and had everything you need super market, sweet shops, toy shops,tobacco shop, clothes shops, leather shop, chemist, bars, ATM machines, jewelley shops, crazy golf, there were loads of little shops my son who is 4 had a fantastic time buying a different angry bird top every day. Now on to the hotel... Ideal for wheelchairs pushchairs buggys etc took us 10 mins to walk to the beach just a strait path. again ideal for wheel chairs buggies etc there are steps down to the beach but also a ramp. The swimming pools were excellent so ideal and safe for kids my only moan is me and my 1 year old baby got chucked out of the middle pool because she was in an inflatable which are not allowed. only allowed in the 1st shallow pool which is stupid I must of counted 7 accidents where it's so shallow kids fell off inflatables and cut their knees on the bottom of the pool. Food was fantastic my husband disagrees breakfast was choice of 3 serials cooked breakfast toast rolls jam marmalade tea coffee machines juice machines lunch was different everyday chicken turkey pork fish paella veg chips potatoes salad pickles dinner was similar they had prawns one day which I'm a huge shell fish lover so to me food was 5 star my husband only eats junk so because there was no burgers he was unhappy. Snack was fine only used snack room once that had bread rolls salad cheese Ham pâté. All soft drinks were self service no wasps and hot drinks were also self service at pool bar along with slush puppy's only alcohol you had to ask for and ice cream. In the evening only slush drinks were self service everything else you had to ask for. Our room was ok just confusing we were room 2118 which was actually 118 my mum and dad was in a different block as they never had a family room and there room was 202a which was through one door then there was 2 other doors a and b The only other moan I had was they had an animal show and they bought round the animals for your kids to stroke but you wasn't allowed to take pictures which I was annoyed with then they said at the end of the show you may take pictures at a charge of 10 euros. They had bouncy castles in the evening which was a rip off thought the holiday was all inclusive but it cost 3 euros for 10 minutes per bouncy castle. The position of the hotel is great near shops and beach just a pain it's so far from airport should only be 40 mins which it was but the drop offs took forever we booked with resort hoppa and was 2 hrs 15 mins on a double decker coach then 2 hrs 50 mins return. the coach must of gone to 6 different resorts for pick ups on the way to Palma I really think its worth paying extra for a taxi just make sure you have water. Apart from that cala de Majorca has got to be one of the best resorts I have stayed at it was lovely perfect for families

• Stayed June 2013
2 Thank lucy d
Peterborough, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2013

Took daughters for a short all inclusive break to Majorca this week. Hotel was one of the better ones for a 3 star. Clean, well run and lots going on. 4 pools and plenty of sun beds for everyone. Great activities pack if that is what you are looking for and never a queue at the bar to get a drink. Only fault this time is selection to eat at meal times....For size of hotel, there should have been more choice of food. I am not a fussy eater but to stay any longer I would have got bored of the choice. Other than that great place. Been to Calas Del Mallorca resort 3 times now....beautiful bay with secluded beach - would definitely return. Would also recommend the America's Hotel as well as the Samoa too....... Sorry forgot to say, its great and safe to get the transfers included in your package but I can agree with some of the reviews on this subject....this is a let down. Generally you have to wait on the coach for others to join it perhaps from other flights, but then as our resort was one of the ones that was furthest away, it then took over 2 hours to get there. Next time I will seriously weigh up the cost of taxi travel as I am sure it will cut the time down to about an hour instead of 3! (cost prevailing!)....

Room Tip: Ask for pool view otherwise you will be facing the street.
1 Thank lisaBrown-sweeny
northern ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2013

We just returned yesterday after an 11 night stay here.When we first arrived (after a 2hr 45min coach ride from airport) the hotel from the outside doesn`t look as nice as some others but I assure you when you go inside and see around the grounds, that all soon changes.
We arrived at around 11.40pm.

We were staying in the Galatzo building,which are apartments although we were a/i.The apartment is clean and basic with a bathroom , bedroom,living area with a bed and a kitchenette-this was a pleasant surprise to us as there was fridge in it where we could store lots of water and aftersun.The rooms were cleaned everyday and beds made (but sheets were not changed) no kettle but we had brought one.You can hire kettle toasters and many other things from reception. safe was 18euros for 10nights.

There was quite a bit of noise at night between people arriving and trailer suitcases down the corridors and shouting to one another, also at night after the bars closed/people returning late from bars in town shouting and laughing.

Breakfast was from 8am-10am which consisted of cereals,milk,bread,rolls,baguettes,croissants,biscuits,buns,small roast potatoes,beans,bacon,sausage/frankfurters + eggs.Drinks are apple,pineapple,orange,water or WINE and of course tea/coffee.I enjoyed this in the mornings.

Lunch/dinner was also nice: soup,bread,rolls,lots of salad food, chips, rice, veg,fish,chicken,burgers,lamb,pork.Plenty of choice.There was a lovely roast pork dinner on the evening we left-this was my favourite!
At lunch or dinner f you wanted fizzy drink,you got it from pool bar before entering main restaurant.

Desserts were jelly, icecream, mini cakes, custard, angel delight style mousses.

snack room had drinks, fruit, bread rolls,cheese, pate,ham (i never wanted anything)
pool bar had fizzy drinks,alcohol, icecreams.

Staff all lovely, reps are great with both adults and kids.

In the mornings I had to go out very early to put towels down,I always wanted a seat under parasol for my little girl and her friends to sit in the shade.This sometimes proved difficult, with people sometimes moving your towels?! I found that its a bit over crowded with sunbeds as people often find a good spot in the mornings but by afternoon the sun moves so people are hauling at their sunbeds ,pulling the right up tight to you.

During the day the hotel reps ran kids club and also played music and showed dance routines around the pool along with aqua gym.There was archery,shooting, football,volleyball +water polo during the day for adults + kids.

There is a path that leads from hotel down to the beach-it was beautiful! Water is so clear and great for swimming.We hired out a pedalo which was fun 1hr=15euros
In the evenings,there was a mini disco from 8-10 then there is a show on.Some shows are a bit naff but there were a few good ones.There was such a mix of different ages at the bar in the evenings, lots of families,single girls, single boys, couples-the young adults seemed to take advantage of the a/i alcohol and there were alot of parents cared more about sitting drinking than occupying their children who were running around the bar/club alone.

The pools were good sizes although were closed for a couple of hours 3 times while I was staying as there were 'accidents' in the pool- again down to some of 'those types of people' you find at this hotel.

The little town was close to hotel, just about 5mins walking distance.Lots of great shops,bars, and restaurants.We went to chinese, indian and D'Alfil-they were all great!Mini funfair + mini golf here too.

We got fantastic weather the 12 days we were here, 1 day we had good bit of overcast but it was still really warm.

I really enjoyed it here and although I have pointed out a couple of bad points it wouldn`t stop me from going back.For the price we paid, it was an absolute bargain.

Room Tip: We were ground floor in Galatzo building and room 2110.It was great cause it was close to pool and t...
Also consider these accommodations in or near Calas de Majorca
HYB Eurocalas
HYB Eurocalas
#7 of 13 in Calas de Majorca
3.5 of 5 bubbles 1,056 reviews

Been to Club Cala Romani? Share your experiences!