“food cheap & nasty”

Ranked #9 of 13 Hotels in Calas de Majorca
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“food cheap & nasty”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2013

just back from hols the hotel is nice the pool lovely shame about the clientel pool had to be closed twiced during my week stay due to human filth.rooms fine they have connected doors with 1 main door ok if you are all family but wouldn't like it if just our selfs you wouldn't now what is behind main door the food is disgusting iam not fussy but the only way to describe the chicken is chicken knuckle or square shaped thighs and that'on a good day the food is cheap & nasty 2 of us came down with nasty tummy upset in all my years abroad this is the first time I have ever been ill no hand gel when entering restaurant you have to leave restaurant to get pepsi or any other fizzy drinks. snacks are a joke salad,cold meat,rolls that's it. no hot food though they have microwave what you would heat in it I don't no. night time entertainment is in dark club with rubbish shows even kids refused to watch shows most people sat outside.terrace bar nice but though inside bar has background music outside has none even though biggest majority of people sat outside what not return to this hotel again

Room Tip: ask for room in main hotel
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (666)
  • Polish first
Southampton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2013

Just got back after 9 nights here, I would say this is a fab holiday, we stayed with our 4 year old son and even thou there are a few issues we really enjoyed the holiday,
food was great, always fresh and lots of choice,
rooms really clean and amazing beds.
pool area clean and tidy
staff great

outside the hotel are some good shops, BUT!!!!! shop around as there is a 1 euro shop and other shops sell what they do for triple the price!!! so keep an eye out for it.

Some faults i found was the euro machines for the kids inside the hotel. yes on ur first few days u dont mind giving them money but it can add up over the holiday, STAY AWAY FROM THE TEDDY GRAB MACHINE, THEY EAT UR MONEY AS YOU WILL NEVER WIN ON THEM!!!!

Make sure u keep an eye on the time or food as they dpnt let u in if ur even a minute late!!!

snack bar is great thou so if u do miss food u can go there.

plenty of beds and shaded areas, dont let ur child run around there park area bare footed, i made the mistake and my son was nearly melted to the floor.

BIG HELLO TO DAVID THE POOL MANAGER!!!! HE DOES A FANTASTIC JOB

Room Tip: we had room 101 a&b fantastic
4 Thank Tracy M
Yorkshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2013

My friend and I stayed here for 9 nights recently, and although it has a couple of faults, generally it was very good. The hotel and rooms were very clean, fresh towels at least 3 times when we were there, even when we didn't "request" them (ie by leaving them in the bath/floor.) Beds made and room cleaned everyday. The pools are lovely, plenty of sunbeds to go round. Stunning view from room balcony over the hotel pools and the hills beyond. Staff were very helpful and friendly, nothing was too much trouble. The gardens were immaculate and this is where we positioned our sunbeds, away from the pool. Plenty of room to get away from the pool noise and activities if it isn't your cup of tea. The transfer time was okay, it was nice to see some of the island. The walk from the back of the hotel down to the beach was pleasant, the beach is lovely. The bad points are: rooms could do with air con, hot dog sausages for breakfast, (Only had proper sausages twice at breakfast) and the lack of sound insulation, tho I solved the last problem with ear plugs!

Room Tip: Ask for a room on higher floor, so you feel safer leaving patio doors open at night, as there is no...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank billiesgirl
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2013

We booked this for our Honeymoon, a last minute kind of deal, rest of our monies spent on the wedding! Not bad for all you pay, the food is more quantity over quality, snack bar is crap, only so much salad and tasteless cheese you can eat! It's the same snacks every day, the bread rolls are hard, but there's a microwave you can heat them up in to make them a bit more edible. You can't take food out of the restaurant, but you can have fun watching people sneak it out in napkins n stuff lol Hotel was really clean, but needs serious updating, our loo was wobbly. Entertainment is bizarre, music during the day was butlins 60's.. The pool is a great size, beach is a short walk away. Book a private transfer, wish we did, three frickin hours for a 60k journey which should've only taken about an hour!! There's not much to do in the town, same tat shops you get everywhere, but there's a really nice ice cream shop. We took some money to eat out now and again, but it's the same stuff you'd get in the hotel, only really expensive and whatever it is comes with chips & warm salad. We did get a traditional paella & litre of sangria deal, but it was €30, was worth it though. Would go back, but only for a few days & only if it was on offer.

Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
London
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2013

We booked a one week all-in holiday between 18/6 and 25/6.
Initially Mallorca is not the ideal place for this time of year, a bit windy and you may even see rain , in short, not the summer sun kind of thing.

We were given our room key upon arrival and a little map to show us the way to our flat, (yes it's that far!) I, like many of the fellow human race, am disabled and the walking I did made me shrink from going out to breakfast many times.
It's a big complex so beware!

I had a car, there's just about enough parking spaces, it would have been a disaster to walk anywhere if I had no car.

So if you're large size, diaabled, have heart or breathing problems, bad leg(s) or simply a lazy person (I am some of those) your better in a room, not a flat or a different hotel altogether.

Rooms/flats
We were given a flat with two rooms which are spacious, I am talking apartments here, no idea about the normal hotel rooms. So can't tell.

Anyway, the two rooms, a bedroom and a bed/living room with an electric cooker and a small fridge, a sink, with cold/hot water all day and a toilet/bathroom of reasonable size bath/shower. It would sleep 4 (single beds) uncomfortably if you like a decent size bed.

The rooms had a wardrope each, four single beds, a telephone (doesn't work) and a kitchen table and a small coffee table.

However there was no tv which I surely would have liked to have at least for news or something.

If the weather goes too hot, you will have to put up with ceiling fans, oh the noise they make must have been used by Franco to torture prisoners.
You wouldn't want to open the balcony doors either, it was windy for us. If the hotel's full you will hear people's whispers.

Our flat was facing the rear of the complex, which is not a bad view at all!!! Or let's say makes no difference. it's all dark everywhere anyway.

The lifts were ok, always available, about 80% occupation I believe.

Yes the walls are thin you can hear next door guests, but we didn't have a next door neighbour in the first place so I can't really tell.

There were two cupboards in the living room, no idea what for!
Would have nice to have a few glasses and spoons.

The balcony was big and nice but once the sun's gone, that's it, it's all darkness.

Room cleaners come daily, but they only put the sheets back, they actually didn't replace our towels, or clean anything for some reason.

I would give the flat 7/10

Now the pool, it's quite big and there's plenty of chairs and sun lounges, people put their towels at dawn to book them, but we always managed to find a place.

The deepest point is 1.20m and there's a shallower one and a baby one and another separate pool too.

So unless you really want a deep pool you'll be alright. I prefer swimming to just standing, but others don't.

I noticed they closed one pool because someone vomitted once. So they do care I must say.

I would give the pool 9/10

As for morning activities I saw volleyball, archery and there are tennis courts too. You bring your own balls and rackets i think

There's a lady that does like water aeropics, she does her best, there are too many guests and not enough staff, too many activities that are simply unknown like French bowels for instance, never even heard of it.

There's just minimal evening entertainment, chlidren club is deserted and empty, but I saw like a creche one day where they do face painting, they play some wierd music in the dark theatre near the bar, I feared sitting there, kind of creepy.
I have been to places where there was 10 hours of activities per day.
So I would give entertainment 4/10

However, there's a serious point here.
There's plenty of games machines of all types all over the place, you have to pay at least a euro to have a go, I saw many children wasting euros in it. To me this is gambling and should not be available to kids.
Pool tables are a euro/frame, and I think you pay for table tennis and tennis too, never tried it anyway.

There's a very expensive shop inside and people selling little bracelets and a woman who does women and children's hair. She charges €20 for half a head, a rip off for me!

They do like a bouncy castle, €3.50 for 15 minutes!!!! Another rip off. It's because she probably shares with the hotel.

And I saw like a go karting course but that must be costly too, if not altogether dangerous! Only saw it being used only once.

All this I think should be regulated, and if the hotel wants to make business, they should at least make it affordable and controlled
So I would put this against the hotel administration.

Food and drink
There's a machine that vends coffee, milk, hot chocolate and water, and another that does coke, 7up, etc. a third machine vends pineapple, grapefruit, and apple juices, and another gives crushed ice in 3 tastes, I don't the name of it.
Another that does wine and beer I think.

However, I saw people fill up coffee just to bin it the nearest place, the rest of the drinks, well you decide!

As for beer, wine and spirits, there's plenty of those. However, I can't drink so no idea if they're good. They serve cocktails too, I saw people getting drunk on that stuff, so it must be alright.

The food is so repetitive and tasteless I went to eat out everyday, perhaps other people don't mind it, but vegies, Muslims and Jews are in deep trouble because pig products are in just about everything including salads sometimes.

There's a snack bar which serves bread, cheese, and ham, won't mention it, it upsets my stomach.

I give drinks in general 8/10
As for food, I simply don't know, I only had lettuce and canned fruits.

Staff are alright, but the receptionist lied to me when I asked for a pool view, he said the hotel is full, I know it wasn't. I'm alright about it as the pool is just as dark anyway.

The hotel advertises a route to a beach and there is an alleyway that takes you there, however, if you're disabled don't ever try walking down that route it's so tiring, and if you make going, you will never make coming back as it's uphill, so you're better off going out of the hotel and walking to the beach. Or going any other beach, that one isn't good anyway, I have seen much much better beaches, here there's waves and rocks and I wouldn't really go near it.
I would rate the beach experience as 0/10

Media
One warning here, not only is there's no tv, but in order to get wifi you have to pay a ridiculous price, €5 for six hours, and if your phone/ipad is turned off, you need a new tocken to reconnect, even if you're still within connection hours.
So internet wise it's ZERO/10
If I could put a negative number, I would have.

Disabled friendly?
Noway, you MUST either use steps or walk a 100 meters ramp to get to pool level, and things are so far in between you would give it a miss to avoid the walk. So that's 2/10 for me.

The only option to break the boredom is to go out of the hotel, right? No, no such luck.

Cales de Mallorca is a dead city, with a small few shops open near Samoa hotel, and that's just about it really. I have been to a kebab shop, not bad, but the others are highly priced, too far to walk to, and because of traffic regulation you drive 3km to get there.
The nearest medical help is in a different city called Manacor, so should you need a hospital, you're in trouble, big big trouble.

We had a car for this trip, so we went away everyday. The beach at porto cristo is wonderful, also in cala d'or and I think there must be better places to visit than Cales de Mallorca.

I saw a Lidl shop in Cala Mayor, at least I wouldn't pay €50 euros for just nappies and water!
I would give the area 2/10

All in all, I wouldn't come back here, it's probably alright but not for me. and wouldn't recommend the area, there are much more better areas.
Cala d'or, porto cristo, cala mallor, are all better on all accounts.

So: <out of ten marks>
Disabled access 2
Area. 2
Staff. 5

Total: 40/100

I know I am disabled, and that my experience but you mom, dad, definetely grannies would feel the same, younger people may also be with disabilities, I wrote for this kind of people.

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank paltalker

Travellers are raving about these Calas de Majorca hotels

Canvey Island, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2013

Just returned from Cala Romani, I was in a party of 9 (6 adults and 3 Children) and stayed for a week.

Hotel

Fairly rated as a three star, but no more. Rooms basic but clean, bed linen changed twice in the week and towels daily, can't complain at that. Had to put towels out early for a decent sun lounger space. Reception staff pretty helpful, although we were not allowed to keep our room on for a late stay as the hotel was fully booked. In the end, it didn't matter too much as there was a large room to keep your luggage and decent showering facilities to cahnge later in the day.

Restaurant accomodates 600, but it wasn't too stressful to find a table even for 9 of us. The food was buffet style with plenty on offer, some dishes were excellent others, below par, but you certainly wouldn't go hungry, there was always something for everyone.

Pools

Really good thing about this hotel. There was a small splash pool for the tiny tots, a larger one for the 4 - 10 age group, another for adults and children to share and a further one primarily for adults. The good thing about them was the gradual inclines, ideal for the children. A life guard was on duty for most of the day. The pools were very busy all day long!

Activities

There was a good range of activities for children and adults throughout the day and these were well organised. The aerobics around and in the pool were well attended and a lot of fun even though the music was extremely loud at times. Overall the day time activities were very good.

BUT!

The evening activities were embarrassingly poor. The nights that professional entertainers were hired were ok, but the animation team were absolutely hopeless. A couple of the worst examples was that of the 'High School Musical' and the so called 'Comedy' evenings. The HSM was actually mimed to and the members of the team didn't even know the words to the songs, terrible! But there was worst to come, the comedy night was squirmingly embarrasing! How the animation team leader ever thought that it was fit to present to an adult audience I'll never know. The nightclub rapidly emptied after about twenty minutes of this drivel, thankfully they had some football on the tv in the club and I watched that instead. The daytime entertainment, I would rate at 9/10, the evening entertainment at 1/10. No wonder after dinner all you could see was guests streaming out of the hotel in droves to find something to entertain them!

Every evening, 4 bouncy castles were erected around the pool areas, which was great fun for the kids, but at 3 euros for 15 minutes for each one, you can soon rack up some serious spending!

Shop

Very expensive as you would expect from a hotel shop, but useful if you want to go to the expense of a british newspaper. A tip for Mums and Dads, buy your inflatables from the little town (5 minutes walk away), they are half the price. The hotel was full during our stay, but incredibly the shop shuts on a Friday. If that was my business, there would be no way that I would lose a days revenue in the height of summer!

As you have probably already read, the transfers from the airport are a nightmare and can take longer than the actual flight from the UK. Thankfully I booked us a private minibus which was very good and our transfer time was 50 minutes each way. It was well worth the extra expense, especially when travelling with children.

Overall, this hotel is only good for families (even though there was a hen party staying), the children loved it, but my wife and I certainly wouldn't go there on our own. If you want a quiet holiday, this is not for you, there are children everywhere!

Room Tip: There are two blocks of apartments at the back of the hotel, these are certainly a little quieter aw...
clydebank
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2013

we went as family (11) of us children and adults what we heard re the transfer we booked a mini bus 45 minutes and we were at the hotel a lot less hassle.
Hotel was lovely, 4 pools, clean rooms, towels changed every day if needed, food was alright town a short walk away, where there were bars and nightlife.
Magalu it is not!!!!! but for a holiday with kids fine.

Room Tip: there was no fitness cantre or room service
Also consider these accommodations in or near Calas de Majorca
Blau Punta Reina Resort
Blau Punta Reina Resort
#6 of 11 in Porto Cristo
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,628 reviews

Been to Club Cala Romani? Share your experiences!