“Value for families”
Review of Club Cala Romani

Club Cala Romani
Ranked #11 of 13 Hotels in Calas de Majorca
Reviewed 13 August 2014

A very busy resort in school holidays. Very clean, excellent facilities for kids, staff incredibly efficient. there has to be drawback? Well couldn't recommend food and it is a long walk down to the lovely beach but at least it is via pedestrian path. The walk seems even longer coming back uphill! For families on a budget - excellent value. Not much to recommend about Calas itself. A taxi from Palma costs E72 so coach transfers possibly cheaper.

Room Tip: No hairdryers or kettles in rooms, can be hired but cheaper to buy at local supermarket. Also no air...
1  Thank whateverBristol
Write a ReviewReviews (3,257)

Reviewed 12 August 2014

We had a 10 night stay at this hotel and we went with 2 other families. The pool was great and the day time entertainment for both adults and children was good. We were able to relax and let the childs play safely. The evening entertainment for us was disappointing as it was all indoors, and we wanted to sit outside, which we did. The kids were happy with the pool table, table tennis etc...
The variety of drinks was good, the slush was nice and the ice cream a good quality. The food was good with lots of choice, nice salads, rice, chips, potatoes, fish and a meat dishes lots of fresh fruits and fresh breads, cold meats, cheeses and puddings. The pizza wasn't too good.
The rooms were very clean and tidy. The maid was in daily cleaning and changing the towels.
Staff friendly and helpful.
The area was quiet but very nice especially for shopping and the bars were good this was only a 5min walk from the hotel if that. Bus stop outside the hotel. Beach was very nice a 10 min walk.
We would recommend you book your own transfer it is very long 2hr plus for us both ways.
We would go back again.

1  Thank Nicola B
Reviewed 11 August 2014

Me and a friend stayed for one week at the beginning of July. My three biggest 'complaints' would be the lack of information about food etc and the amount of kids... I understand it is a family hotel & it was the summer holidays but I just found it all to be kid orientated. Couldn't lie by the pool for getting soaked from the kids playing or having to hear kids club activities booming over the loudspeakers, couldn't get in the pools for the amount of lilos and water toys. I know it's not the hotels problem but it was my main complaint... I know I could have booked another hotel but how was I to know with 3 pools I couldn't get in any of them!? The second complaint was quite generic but we arrived at 230am and the gentleman on reception just handed us an information sheet and gestured for our arms to put our wristbands on (he was on the phone), hands us a key and turns away. We found the room fine and got settled in for the night but in the morning when we went down for food there was actually no signs or anything of where the restaurant was? Asking the staff was no use as their English was minimal. Third complaint was there was no free wifi - you could buy wifi for €5 but they didn't tell you it only worked in the tv room!?! Annoying! The only other problem was that the slush drinks were sometimes out of order which needs must as I think they were refreshing them but it was annoying when you were roasting and needed a cool drink. Except for that it was all I expected, prob a wee bit more. The hotel was lovely and really clean. A 10 min walk from the beach - get down there early enough and you can get a nice sunbed for €8ish for the day and free wifi. There was a wee bar up overlooking the beach which did cheaper sunbeds and had music which was quite nice. The food was good but kinda random but we guessed it was just cus we were English and some of the food choices were maybe from other nationalities but was always really nice. Cheese, bread, soup, meats (hot & cold), fresh fruits - lovely!! Choice of water, juice or wine and coffee but only in the morning. The staff are quite quick at taking your plate away though - there were a few times I was barely finished eating (or hadn't!) and my plate was gone! But it's a buffet so I just got more. There aren't many places to eat or go round by the hotel - there was one bar which was really nice (at the end of the road) which did lovely food and lovely cocktails and the staff were really nice (also free wifi) but except that not much. There was also a wee super market which was well stocked!

• Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank Lauren H
Reviewed 11 August 2014

Just arrived home from a super 5 night break at Cala Romani.
We stayed in the main block and had a pool view. We were travelling with another family and even though we hadn't booked at the same time we were in adjacent rooms. There was one main room on the corridor and we then had a kind of little hallway with our two rooms behind. This meant that there was no noise at all from other people returning to their rooms in the evenings.
The room was spotlessly clean and appeared freshly decorated. The large ceiling fan was very effective - although we did move our three beds close together so they were all under the fan.
This is the first holiday in Europe where we could leave our balcony door open all night and none of us got a single mosquito bite! Hooray!
Food - well, the kids loved the pizzeria at lunchtime. There was always a variety of meats fish and fresh delicious salads. As a vegetarian, I lived on pasta and tomato sauce for 5 days, but I do expect this sadly in Europe. Perhaps this is something hotels could improve on. There were also plenty of puddings although not particularly to my taste. The melon was always delicious, and the night that there was cheese and biscuits was fab.
Entertainment - I am not one for joining in on Club Dance or Salsa particularly, however, I don't think I have ever seen an Ents crew work so hard. There was always something going on. In particularly we thought Mia worked every hour available, and Marianne - awesome singing at the Karaoke! We managaed to win both the Music quiz and the Bingo - 2 bottles of bubbly :)
Drinks were ok - soft drinks on tap all day, although slushy machines were usually out of order (re-freezing?) The wine was palatable with meals and the San Miguel was lovely in the afternoon.
All of the cocktails seemed to be Vodka and Orange of some kind - I drank them, but a few more imaginative cocktails would be nice!
We found every member of staff we dealt with to be professional and friendly.
Pool - well, we Brits seem to have sadly given in to the Germans and started putting out towels on sunbeds at some unearthly hour - disappointing. However, we didn't' find a problem ever getting sunbeds after breakfast, just not in the prime locations.
There are a few added extras cost wise - the kids water slide was 5 euros each for the day - would have been nice to have this included or even give the kids a couple of free tokens to use when they chose.
The beach was about a 10 min walk - mostly through hotel grounds. Pedalos were 15 euros to hire which is fairly steep but they did have slides on them! There is a strong current pulling you back in to shore, which meant pedalling was a good form of exercise to keep out in the correct part of the sea.
Big downside to the sea for me was being stung by a jellyfish (Medusa). Blooming hurt and came up in big burn like rash immediately. Locals on beach sent me straight to the lifeguard, who put some sort of cream on it and told me to keep it dry for a few hours. Still red a week later, but not sore any more!
The town was about a 5 minute walk - mini golf in the centre was clean and good fun - cost about 4 euros each. Lots of fab little shops and reataurants / bars.
Wifi was fairly expensive - 1 euro for 20 mins, and coverage not great. Paid to use their computer for a skype call instead and version of skype was outdated and needed upgrade.
Massage charis - awesome treat! 1 euro for 5 mins.
All in all, I loved Cala Romani and will definitley consider a return visit. It was a cheap holiday for the school holidays, and the standard of hotel was much higher than previous ones of 3 star that I have stayed in before.

Room Tip: Pool view in main block was great although I believe rooms in other blocks may have had fridges.
8  Thank Debs2boys
Reviewed 10 August 2014

If you travel with kids and want to have a cheap hotel for the masses then I suppose you might be alright apart off a good swiming pool the rest is quite a cheap feeling might been a 3.5 star in the 80s :(

• Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank Krisw10
Reviewed 10 August 2014

Just got back from a brilliant week in this hotel. The weather was hot and perfect for a family. The pools are the best pools we have been with splash pool for little ones and shallow ends around all 3 pools. Also kids couldn't slip around the pool because of the materials they have used. We stayed in Tomir block which was basic but served its purpose and had a lovely sea view. The food was hot and plenty and although 3 star definitely a better 3 star hotel. Snack bar was limited and just had small salad range and ham bread and cheese. First time we have been somewhere where you couldn't eat snacks around the pool. Slush machines and ice-creams all day but I noticed one of the bar men throwing ice-creams at children when their parents weren't there which did not impress me!!! The staff keep themselves to themselves and were miserable.
One of the woman on the bar mocked me for saying pina colada wrong....I said it how it was pronounced. A 10 minute walk to the beach which was a gorgeous little beach with shallow water for kids but a very busy beach. The resort is small and just 5 minute walk but not a lot there apart from a small beach and lots of little shops, the restaurants and shops were very cheap.
The entertainment in the hotel was good, nothing exciting but kept us watching. Lots of bouncy castles and activities for kids at nights incase they got bored. Kids loved the dressed up characters there and mini disco was fab! As with everywhere sunbeds go early but there are always piles of sunbeds left. A really good holiday and I would return. Only down fall was transfer. was 11/2 hours to 2 hours away but with a short flight from uk this wasn't to much of a problem.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank Cheriejam
Reviewed 10 August 2014

Rooms: We were in the back block of rooms (can't remember their names). The rooms were really spacious more like an apartment with two separate rooms with two beds. Was very clean and shower was good. No TV but who watches TV on holiday?
Service: excellent the staff were so good especially the entertainment staff.
Food: food was good always a lot of selection but probably not great if your a fussy eater but there's always chips and bread etc. Snack bar was cold meats, bread and salad. The pâté was lovely. Unlimited ice cream, slush puppies, soft drinks for kids. All inclusive bar is usual spirits, San Miguel etc.
Overall we had an excellent holiday here in a beautiful part of Majorca.. Worth the long transfer.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
HSM Canarios Park
HSM Canarios Park
#9 of 13 in Calas de Majorca
Sol Mirador de Calas All Inclusive
Sol Mirador de Calas All Inclusi...
#2 of 13 in Calas de Majorca
Inturotel Esmeralda Park
Inturotel Esmeralda Park
#8 of 46 in Cala d'Or

Been to Club Cala Romani? Share your experiences!