“Some good points and some not so good points!”
Review of Club Cala Romani

Club Cala Romani
Ranked #11 of 13 Hotels in Calas de Majorca
Reviewed 14 August 2014

Just returned from a weeks stay.

TRANSFER: We booked speedy shuttle. Struck gold and had our own transfer on way there and took about 30/40 mins. On a coach on the way back and took almost 2 hours. Spoke to others and some had endured 3 hour transfers. My advice would be get a taxi from the airport or book your own transfer.

HOTEL: The majority of staff were very nice. One very rude lady on reception. But who really cares. I was expecting the room to be basic and small and it was but size wise fine for a week. We had a garden view room which is quieter than a pool view at night. Rooms are warm but ceiling fan does help. We also took our own with us. They are available to rent. Bathroom a bit manky and I can't say I found the room cleaning great. I don't think they swept the floors during our stay or changed the bed covers. I complained but made no difference. Ended up taking towels from the maids trolley as they don't seem to replace the ones you want changing too readily.

I thought the cleaning of public areas (pool toilets mainly) was poor. They were gross and without toilet roll by the afternoon and no one seemed to notice.

The pools were fab! Shallow to start and ideal for kids. Best thing about the hotel. Lillos and large inflatables only allowed in first pool.

Kids club - No info on this at all unless you can read German. When I enquired at reception they told me to read the panel. I can't read German! Activities poolside for kids and adults but it's hard to understand what they're saying and I found (improved on my last day) a general lack of info 're activities. The mini disco is at 8.30pm nightly in the show bar. Younger kids will love it. Entertainment at 10pm nightly in show bar and is shockingly awful. Comedy show dreadful. Some external dancers came in one night and that was really good. Otherwise all in-house and poor. There is bingo and singers etc in another bar but I didn't go there so can't comment. Towards the end of our stay I discovered they do kids activities like face painting and t shirt printing etc at the brown hut house by the sandpit. So look out for that.

The food is ok. Nice salads and lots of choice. Lots of bread and rolls and superb melon. Pizzeria great for pasta at lunch. It's no dining experience but you won't starve. Snack is bread, pate, cheese and ham. Some salad.

The drinks are good. Pepsi, 7 up , San Miguel. Help yourself to soft drinks 's all day from 10am. Cocktails and local spirit's included. Their Malibu and Bailey's is great. Couldn't tell the difference.

The beach is 8 mins away. Small and crowded. There is a tourist train that does the rounds of the hotels so you can get it there and back but it really is a short walk.

WiFi €1 for 20 mins at hotel.

Porto cristo has a much better beach so recommend a boat trip there. Restaurants in Porto cristo were really cheap.

Small town by hotel with restaurants etc.

Get up early (by 7am) to get poolside sunbed.

All in all, we had a good time but I'm glad I wasn't there for a fortnight. If you haven't got kids, this is not for you. Get a cheap deal (try hotel direct) and go for it. Your kids will love the pools. Best pools I've ever seen.

Room Tip: Pool view will be noisy as people sit there drinking and chatting at night. I had a garden view and...
8  Thank 728sashal

Reviewed 14 August 2014

Really busy resort, but we really enjoy our time staying in "Club Cala Romani". Our doughter (3 and a half) love the pool and evening entertainment. We stay there for a week (6-13 Aug 2014), and would defiantly recommend to family's with children. Our girl was pleased, which mean that we could relax.
Hotel room it was clean, but would need a bit of update (as a whole hotel). Food more average than good, but we manage "somehow" to eat something every time. Snack bar - only cold food (bread, cheese, meats, fruits & cold and hot drinks)!
Love the fact that everywhere you would like to go is really close to, shopping - 5min walk, beach - 15min walk (and from the beach there is lovely walk path through sea side! really beautiful views!!!). (We also went to "Cave del Drach" (20min by bus from hotel) which is really worth seeing!)
The only one thing it was under anyone expectation, that someone have poo it in to the middle pool two last days of our stay (that defiantly says to me that not everyone deserve holidays!) - Disgusting!

3  Thank Jotkajk
Reviewed 13 August 2014

A very busy resort in school holidays. Very clean, excellent facilities for kids, staff incredibly efficient. there has to be drawback? Well couldn't recommend food and it is a long walk down to the lovely beach but at least it is via pedestrian path. The walk seems even longer coming back uphill! For families on a budget - excellent value. Not much to recommend about Calas itself. A taxi from Palma costs E72 so coach transfers possibly cheaper.

Room Tip: No hairdryers or kettles in rooms, can be hired but cheaper to buy at local supermarket. Also no air...
1  Thank whateverBristol
Reviewed 12 August 2014

We had a 10 night stay at this hotel and we went with 2 other families. The pool was great and the day time entertainment for both adults and children was good. We were able to relax and let the childs play safely. The evening entertainment for us was disappointing as it was all indoors, and we wanted to sit outside, which we did. The kids were happy with the pool table, table tennis etc...
The variety of drinks was good, the slush was nice and the ice cream a good quality. The food was good with lots of choice, nice salads, rice, chips, potatoes, fish and a meat dishes lots of fresh fruits and fresh breads, cold meats, cheeses and puddings. The pizza wasn't too good.
The rooms were very clean and tidy. The maid was in daily cleaning and changing the towels.
Staff friendly and helpful.
The area was quiet but very nice especially for shopping and the bars were good this was only a 5min walk from the hotel if that. Bus stop outside the hotel. Beach was very nice a 10 min walk.
We would recommend you book your own transfer it is very long 2hr plus for us both ways.
We would go back again.

1  Thank Nicola B
Reviewed 11 August 2014

Me and a friend stayed for one week at the beginning of July. My three biggest 'complaints' would be the lack of information about food etc and the amount of kids... I understand it is a family hotel & it was the summer holidays but I just found it all to be kid orientated. Couldn't lie by the pool for getting soaked from the kids playing or having to hear kids club activities booming over the loudspeakers, couldn't get in the pools for the amount of lilos and water toys. I know it's not the hotels problem but it was my main complaint... I know I could have booked another hotel but how was I to know with 3 pools I couldn't get in any of them!? The second complaint was quite generic but we arrived at 230am and the gentleman on reception just handed us an information sheet and gestured for our arms to put our wristbands on (he was on the phone), hands us a key and turns away. We found the room fine and got settled in for the night but in the morning when we went down for food there was actually no signs or anything of where the restaurant was? Asking the staff was no use as their English was minimal. Third complaint was there was no free wifi - you could buy wifi for €5 but they didn't tell you it only worked in the tv room!?! Annoying! The only other problem was that the slush drinks were sometimes out of order which needs must as I think they were refreshing them but it was annoying when you were roasting and needed a cool drink. Except for that it was all I expected, prob a wee bit more. The hotel was lovely and really clean. A 10 min walk from the beach - get down there early enough and you can get a nice sunbed for €8ish for the day and free wifi. There was a wee bar up overlooking the beach which did cheaper sunbeds and had music which was quite nice. The food was good but kinda random but we guessed it was just cus we were English and some of the food choices were maybe from other nationalities but was always really nice. Cheese, bread, soup, meats (hot & cold), fresh fruits - lovely!! Choice of water, juice or wine and coffee but only in the morning. The staff are quite quick at taking your plate away though - there were a few times I was barely finished eating (or hadn't!) and my plate was gone! But it's a buffet so I just got more. There aren't many places to eat or go round by the hotel - there was one bar which was really nice (at the end of the road) which did lovely food and lovely cocktails and the staff were really nice (also free wifi) but except that not much. There was also a wee super market which was well stocked!

• Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank Lauren H
Reviewed 11 August 2014

Just arrived home from a super 5 night break at Cala Romani.
We stayed in the main block and had a pool view. We were travelling with another family and even though we hadn't booked at the same time we were in adjacent rooms. There was one main room on the corridor and we then had a kind of little hallway with our two rooms behind. This meant that there was no noise at all from other people returning to their rooms in the evenings.
The room was spotlessly clean and appeared freshly decorated. The large ceiling fan was very effective - although we did move our three beds close together so they were all under the fan.
This is the first holiday in Europe where we could leave our balcony door open all night and none of us got a single mosquito bite! Hooray!
Food - well, the kids loved the pizzeria at lunchtime. There was always a variety of meats fish and fresh delicious salads. As a vegetarian, I lived on pasta and tomato sauce for 5 days, but I do expect this sadly in Europe. Perhaps this is something hotels could improve on. There were also plenty of puddings although not particularly to my taste. The melon was always delicious, and the night that there was cheese and biscuits was fab.
Entertainment - I am not one for joining in on Club Dance or Salsa particularly, however, I don't think I have ever seen an Ents crew work so hard. There was always something going on. In particularly we thought Mia worked every hour available, and Marianne - awesome singing at the Karaoke! We managaed to win both the Music quiz and the Bingo - 2 bottles of bubbly :)
Drinks were ok - soft drinks on tap all day, although slushy machines were usually out of order (re-freezing?) The wine was palatable with meals and the San Miguel was lovely in the afternoon.
All of the cocktails seemed to be Vodka and Orange of some kind - I drank them, but a few more imaginative cocktails would be nice!
We found every member of staff we dealt with to be professional and friendly.
Pool - well, we Brits seem to have sadly given in to the Germans and started putting out towels on sunbeds at some unearthly hour - disappointing. However, we didn't' find a problem ever getting sunbeds after breakfast, just not in the prime locations.
There are a few added extras cost wise - the kids water slide was 5 euros each for the day - would have been nice to have this included or even give the kids a couple of free tokens to use when they chose.
The beach was about a 10 min walk - mostly through hotel grounds. Pedalos were 15 euros to hire which is fairly steep but they did have slides on them! There is a strong current pulling you back in to shore, which meant pedalling was a good form of exercise to keep out in the correct part of the sea.
Big downside to the sea for me was being stung by a jellyfish (Medusa). Blooming hurt and came up in big burn like rash immediately. Locals on beach sent me straight to the lifeguard, who put some sort of cream on it and told me to keep it dry for a few hours. Still red a week later, but not sore any more!
The town was about a 5 minute walk - mini golf in the centre was clean and good fun - cost about 4 euros each. Lots of fab little shops and reataurants / bars.
Wifi was fairly expensive - 1 euro for 20 mins, and coverage not great. Paid to use their computer for a skype call instead and version of skype was outdated and needed upgrade.
Massage charis - awesome treat! 1 euro for 5 mins.
All in all, I loved Cala Romani and will definitley consider a return visit. It was a cheap holiday for the school holidays, and the standard of hotel was much higher than previous ones of 3 star that I have stayed in before.

Room Tip: Pool view in main block was great although I believe rooms in other blocks may have had fridges.
8  Thank Debs2boys
Reviewed 10 August 2014

If you travel with kids and want to have a cheap hotel for the masses then I suppose you might be alright apart off a good swiming pool the rest is quite a cheap feeling might been a 3.5 star in the 80s :(

• Stayed: June 2014
Globales America
Globales America
#8 of 13 in Calas de Majorca
Sol Mirador de Calas All Inclusive
Sol Mirador de Calas All Inclusi...
#2 of 13 in Calas de Majorca
Tryp Mallorca Santa Ponsa
Tryp Mallorca Santa Ponsa
#18 of 35 in Santa Ponsa
Sa Posada d'Aumallia Hotel Rural

Been to Club Cala Romani? Share your experiences!