“an experience”

Sol Jamaica
Sol Jamaica
Ranked #165 of 181 Hotels in Calvia
Reviewed 4 July 2007

god? where do i start... firstly we arrived and were told we werent on the list for a room so had 2 w8 till they organised all tht. rooms were very basic. staff were pleasant enough to begin with anyway.

We were stayin on the fourth floor, we had 2 rooms as there were 5 of us. 2nd nyt we wer ther and we all went down for dinner to our disbelief we came bk up 2 our rooms to find the security guards and everyone out in the corridors. 3 rooms had been burgled and the guys had only bn there for 2 hours and were coincidentially at dinner at the same time as us. Our room seemed to be fine but our friends rooms which was 3 guys, had money, travellers cheques and expensive clothes stolen. But to my amazement was 4 rooms on the same floor were broken in2 and they managed to miss our room, the girls room out. What also amazed me was that there were no signs of forced entry and the balcony doors were locked.....very suspicious indeed. It was definately an inside job.

The security guards were arrogant and cheeky, infact 1 of them sed to my friend if she could understand spanish she was 2 go bk to skool. after tht fiasco we had problems with the security guards and they actually slapped 1 of our male friends on the face n kicked him. I was appauled at the way they treated you.

i would recommend everyone to get a safe!! Dnt be fooled by the friendly faces.

I am definately returning to magaluf next year but never to this hotel, i will go to another sol hotel but definately not sol Jamaicas!

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled with friends
2  Thank vzsoul59

Reviewed 4 July 2007

Me and my boyfriend have just recently returned from this hotel. We stayed there for seven nights. We stayed in a room on the third floor at the bottom end of the corridor. We thought that this would mean that it would be quiet, but however it was the opposite. It was very loud at night with people returning to their rooms at 6 in the morning shouting and having conversations in the corridor. This means we hardly slept throughout the whole holiday.
The room we stayed in was very dated with the bed covers and curtains being very faded and holey, whoever it was a very clean room which was cleaned everyday.
There was a very wide range of foods in this hotel, ranging from salads to meats and pasta and chips. There was a big choice of food but it wasn't very nice, if you like pizza and chips then you will be fine.

1  Thank discodolly9
Reviewed 30 June 2007

I found the jamica to be very clean and tidy however it was showing its age a little. I would'nt recommend this hotel for a family holiday. I traveled there as part of a stag party and found most of the guests to be youger groups there where hardly any couples or families. If you are thinking of going for a family or couple holiday i would recommend the sol gaudelupe which is located just accross the road from the jamaica. The guadelupe is more modern and is better suited to families and couples also the rooms in the guadelupe have air conditioning which is a bonus.

• Stayed: June 2007
Reviewed 27 June 2007

We've just come back from Magalluf and myself and my girlfriend where
pretty pleased with the Sol Jamaica. We got a double bed unlike other
hotels we've been at and the view from balcony was good.

The first thing we did was buy the safe deposit key and i'm glad we did, we heard a few cases of people having tickets, money and mobiles
stolen. The security wasn't brilliant i stupidly locked us out our room one day and asked for a new card. I was given it no problem i wasn't even asked for id so i could easily have given the wrong room number and been in somebody elses room. My advice is get your deposit
key as soon as you get there.

The food was ok some nights good some nights average but there is plenty of choice. The swimming pool disappointed me too many prats messing about most with scottish accents. Also the Mytravel rep Johnny is a waste of space very unhelpful and didnt put up departure time until a few hous before we went.

Location is great a few minutes from BCM and the strip for an excellent dinner go to Del Boys bar great food at great prices. For entertainment go to the pirates adventure it is awesome.

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 June 2007

My husband and I have just returned from this very busy resort. I Iam in my middle 50's and my husband in the early 60's.
We had a great time, the hotel was really good, the staff excellent and the food even better. I can honestly say we did not have one bad meal, they are very keen to put things right if you are not happy and after filling in a questionaire about the hotel, we had said that the food could do with being a tad hotter, the next day a microwave had been installed so that you could heat things up if need be, however the food was hotter anyway .

Magaluf is very noisy at night and there was plenty to do ie. bars, clubs (if you can stay awake that long). We found a great bar called Manos Bar which had nightly entertainment, which started around 11 oclock. We saw a tribute to Queen there and they were brilliant.

We went to Western World which is a great day out , the seals were fantastic, as was the cowboy show and the dancing horses, so you got entertainment plus water rides - good value for money at 18 euros each (if you use the vouchers in the brochure you are given as you get off the plane) 21 euros normally. Marineland was smaller than we thought but the dolphins and seals were great. We went to the market in Andrax but were disappointed as most of the stuff was the same as on the high street and the prices were not cheaper. If you like museums then there is a new attraction opened called Katmando, its an upside down house. Quite interesting with lots of relics etc but it only took about 2 hours to go around, and that is with my husband reading nearly everything and it is very expensive about 32 euros for 2 people.

I would go back to this hotel without a doubt, the rooms are adequate, clean, and the beds were comfortable, good food, nice and helpful staff, what more could you want.

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled with family
4  Thank SallyJo28
Reviewed 8 June 2007

Stayed here for a last minute booking for my birthday. The hotel location is great I cannot fault it but it's I'm afraid you get what you pay for and this was so true. The rooms are very basic and in need of an updat and so was the reception area. Only ate at the Hotel twice as it was full of old people and I felt like I was in the kitchen of and old folks home. The food was ok I guess suitable if your skint and hungry. A hen party arrived whilst we where staying here and we could here everything that was going on when they came back at very early hours of the morning. It would be suitable more for younger people who are looking for something cheap or people who are deaf .

• Stayed: August 2006, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 January 2007

If you want a nice family holiday, this is NOT the place for you.

If you like noisy nights with rowdies running through the corridoors and a punch-up outside your door then book now.

The food was good but the rooms very poor and tired looking. No comfortable beds and a very small room. We just about had a sea view but this came with a price in that it was opposite a bar that stayed open until 4am in the morning and then we had the pleasure of the street cleaners sweeping up at 6am.

We asked for our room to be changed after one night, slightly better but still a tired and dated room.

However the best was yet to come. On our last day (Friday) our room was smashed into, the room raided the safe broken into. Along with our money, PSP,games, a brand new Tissot watch, mobile phone, my husband's passport was stolen. After an evening in the police station to report the incident we then had to try and arrange an emergency passport. Admittedly the British Embassy were excellent which is more than I can say about the hotel. They did manage to get a security guard to look at the room but this wasn't an awful lot of good. Travelcity Direct were excellent. Hotel even complained that we were using their phone, bearing in mind all our money was stolen! Also two girls from Newcastle had also been burgled (it was their second day of a 14 day holiday) and all their cash was taken - they were left with just a few Euros. Advice - please look at your hotel room door handle to see if it has been damaged - it is quite surprising how many rooms have actually been damaged.

At least we were lucky as we were going home the very next day. The best part of the holiday was catching the coach to go home.

We always booked Sol Hotels in the past but never again!!!!!

• Stayed: August 2006, travelled with family