My wife and I stayed for 3 nights, the first time away without any kids for some years. We spent half the time in the hotel, taking advantage the lovely pool and swimming off the rocks, and the rest of the time visiting places we already knew in Mallorca. Location-wise there isn't much to commend it but this is the kind of hotel you can really 'hole up' in and relax. All the rooms have a sea view and a balcony, there is plenty of space in the beautiful gardens. The southerly aspect means that there is always part of the grounds in the sun (and with a view of the sea). There was never much of a problem getting a lounger, either by the pool or on the water's edge. There is also a tiny, secluded private beach with a few loungers.
All the staff were unfailingly polite and good natured - they really made you feel welcome and were always eager to assist. The guests were quite a mixed bag - the hotel is adults only (over 14 or 15 I think) and people were from everywhere. At the time we visited they were mainly older, evidently well-off, couples (kids grown up and gone?) and younger couples (no kids yet?) and not much in between. The hotel felt private and uncrowded and the presence of other guests did not impinge on our stay, despite the fact that (we assume) the hotel had a fairly high occupancy. There wasn't much life in the bar area or outside in the pool area in the evening and things seemed to shut down relatively early - perhaps guests go into Palma, which is very close, for a more vibrant nightlife.
We didn't eat dinner at the hotel - we came across Restaurante Luis a short walk away towards Cala Major and were so impressed we went back the next night - great Mallorcan food cooked by the owner and attentive, friendly service - couldn't be faulted. The hotel breakfast was excellent but grossly overpriced at €25. We have eaten better food at more expensive 5-star hotels for a lot less and it looks like the hotel is simply profiteering, as they are with the extortionately priced drinks (I am never sure why it is necessary to treble the price of a cappuccino just because the hotel room is expensive - I don't mind paying more for a better room, better bed, better service, better pool, better location etc but a little cappuccino is a little cappuccino). Given that breakfast was full, the hotel will no doubt continue to charge what it can get away with but if you are interested in value for money rather than just shelling out money for no discernable gain, and can't eat an enormous breakfast every day to justify the huge price tag, book a room without breakfast and take the breakfast as and when you feel the need (there are a few coffee shops outside the hotel if you just want a coffee and a pastry or omelette).
We can't say that there were any big downsides to this hotel apart from the weak 'air-conditioning' in the room (and minor point - no ironing board in the room). The weather was not especially hot but we were slightly uncomfortable at night because we couldn't get the air-con any cooler. We complained and they sent a service engineer straight away. He said that there was nothing wrong with it. The fact is it is not proper air-conditioning (I am an architect and I know air-conditioning when I feel it!). If you are used to air-conditioning generally cooling the room to a comfortable temperature, rather than giving out a light, slightly cool breeze up to 1 metre from the aircon outlet then you may be a little frustrated (not all the rooms may be the same of course). It wouldn't stop me staying at the hotel again, however (hopefully if enough people complain they will do something about it).
The hotel is close to the motorway exit so despite being remotely located from what we view as the best beaches in Mallorca (eg, Cala Mesquida in the north east) you can get to most places on the island quickly. It is also handy if you want to take a trip to the mountains and towns on the west side of the island.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Gran Melia de Mar, a contemporary beachfront hotel Enjoying a tranquil setting in the residential area of Illetas, yet only ten minutes from Palma’s city centre, the newly-refurbished, adults-only Gran Melia de Mar, exclusive member of Leading Hotels International, has a privileged location directly facing the sea and offering a small, sandy beach. The hotel has been architecturally designed to make the most of the spectacular views Built / renovated date: 1964 / winter 2015/2016 – Rooms number: 142 – from airport Son Sant Joan - hotel: 17 km with 142 Rooms including Suites. All with Terrace with spectacular front sea view, Bathroom with hair-dryer, magnifying mirror, bathtub and shower stall, Air-conditioning. Heating. Satellite TV. Direct dial telephone. Mini-bar, Nespresso, and Safe. Room Service. 6 Meeting rooms. WIFI free of charge. The spacious ‘RedLevel Experience’ rooms and suites offer special VIP amenities. 2 outdoor pools with a delightful pool surrounded by Balinese beds with concierge service. Magnificent breakfast buffet served in the “PERSEO” restaurant and terrace overlooking the sea , the new ARRELS by Marga Coll – fine dining restaurant with a terrace providing an extraordinary range of modern Mallorcan cuisine. Big variety of F&B offers, service in outdoor spaces or indoors. In summer months enjoy the BARDOT Pool Bar & Restaurant. AMARO Lobby Bar & Lounge. Spa by CLARINS. Valet Parking. The hotel opens from April to October and is strictly adults only. Minimum age 15 years old. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travel Republic (UK), Jet2Holidays , Melia, Expedia, Booking.com, Ebookers, Hotels.com, LoveHolidays, HotelQuickly, Evoline ltd, 5viajes2012 S.L., TripOnline SA and Cancelon so you can book your Gran Melia de Mar reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Melia De Mar Hotel Calvia
- Melia Hotel De Mar
- Sol Melia Calvia
- Gran Melia De Mar Majorca/Calvia