“Great hotel and staff”

Hotel Riu Palace Bonanza Playa
Ranked #10 of 180 Hotels in Calvia
Reviewed 14 July 2014

We stayed for 10 nights at the Bonanza Playa, the staff were really friendly and helpful, perhaps the friendliest staff I have every experienced, the manager Sebastian, goes out of his way to make sure that things run smoothly and that the guests are happy. The location is perfect and the rooms are pleasant although mostly small. The buffet was good too, although the dining room is rather dated. All in all a great stay and we will go back, the only minor problems being the poor internet, low quality juice at breakfast and the unexciting reception and pool bars and entertainment. The diving school attached to the hotel is also excellent and professionally run.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Paul_Brigthon
Write a ReviewReviews (1,200)

Reviewed 13 July 2014

We have just returned from an 11 night stay at this hotel (we have stayed here before three times and at the sister hotel the Bonanza Park across the road on two occasions). The hotel has been refurbished since our last visit and the new adult pool, refurbished rooms and new pool bar area were lovely improvements.

We stayed in a great room that was very modern, spacious, clean with excellent views of the Mediterranean.

The food has always been good at this hotel and we were certainly not disappointed this time. We had 11 perfect meals and were spoilt for choice every evening. Everything is so fresh and hot and cooked in front of you. The waiter service is great and the staff are all so friendly.

We will definitely return here.

Janet & Alistair

1  Thank 17dotty
Reviewed 13 July 2014

The Hotel is good with two pools with one for adults only and is mostly for couples less suited for families. Restaurant is large with very good selection at buffet breakfast but gets crowded. Bar at poolside is ok, would have appreciated a 'easier walk-up and sit by the bar', rather than ordering to the sunbed occasionally, by maybe thats just me.. Bus just outside the hotel door is convenient for transport to Palma at just 3 euros

Room Tip: Ask for higher floors
1  Thank MyGlobalMap
Reviewed 10 July 2014

Myself and my husband have just returned after staying 9 nights at this lovely hotel. We were not disappointed. After a delayed flight we arrived late evening and had a lovely welcome to the hotel by the staff on reception. We had a lovely room with a full sea view which was very comfortable including lots of storage space. The hotel is spotless at all times. Food is excellent with lots of choice. Sebastian who I believe is the hotel Manager was extremely friendly and went out of his way to ensure all guests had a great holiday.
I am offended by a previous review that implies anyone over a certain age has no sense of humour and is not prepared to have fun that is quite untrue but it must be appreciated that people taking holidays in June and early July tend to be those with no school age children and therefore likely to be 50+.What most guests we spoke to objected to was rude and inconsiderate behaviour to staff and other guests from certain members of wedding parties.
We have stayed in hotels previously where there were wedding guests who mingled quite comfortably with other guests without any difficulties whatsoever.
I would not hesitate to recommend this beautiful hotel, I look forward to visiting again.

Room Tip: High floor room
2  Thank Claire D
Reviewed 9 July 2014

We stayed here for a week from June 28th and just let get the nightly bits out of the way.I was quiet surprised on arrival that we were asked to pay a daily charge for the I room safe I feel the safe should be included in the cost of the room I have stayed in hotels all over the world but never have had to pay an additional charge for a safe. There was no wash towels in our room and it took three calls to reception before they were delivered to my room which Found frustrating and finally the biggest niggle of all was people reserving sun beds with their towels every morning I was accosted by another guest one morning accusing me of taking his reserved sun bed I just could not believe it.
The hotel is situated in a quiet area not far from Palma and the hotel itself overlooks the beautiful bay of Palma I can only speak about the 7th floor as our room was situated great the room is not huge but is really clean and nit cluttered here was plenty of toiletries and these were replenished daily and room was always cleaned promptly by a very cheerful and friendly lady who always had a smile on her face. We were half board and I have to say I am a fussy eater but I was well impressed with the food both at breakfast and dinner we did nit use the a la carte restaurant so I cannot comment but we did use the beach bar for lunch most days and I found the food good but the service was a bit hit and miss overall I have to say the food was very good.the pool area was kept very clean and I had great fun every morning at the Aqua Exercise class the trainer wad such a likeable happy smiley man and he encouraged everyone to join all his different activities dailyI say to him keep up the work. A few little changes at this hotel and it could be a perfect stay would we come back yes definitely but next time I hope the safe charge is included in the room price.Well done to all the staff at this lovely hotel for making our stag a pleasant experience.

Room Tip: Choose rooms from the sixth floor up for a superb view of the bay of Palma
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Seasonedtraveller076
Reviewed 9 July 2014

The hotel is actually good in terms of facility, room, food, pretty much everything. Except for the fact that my entire luggage was STOLEN INSIDE the hotel LOBBY, and the hotel has NO security guard or watch or surveillance - other guests said someone from outside the hotel came into the lobby and took it away without notice. I still could not believe this kind of thing could have ever happened in such a hotel but it happened. The hotel also did not do anything to remedy the damage to its guest other than just calling the police. The hotel is big and have many guests, so after the accident happened, it took them more than half an hour to just listen to me to find out what happened while i was actually in a rush to airport. They have too many guests that they cannot properly attend to my situation. All hotel staff were busy with other people which made me very angry. If you want somewhere where you can be paid proper attention and care, this will not be the right hotel.

If you stay in this hotel, please be absolutely mindful of safety and security issues, never leave your luggage under your eye in the public area even just for 5 mins. I think having such a serious and terrible safety issue is nightmare for such a hotel. Having this kind of accident probably also indicates the neighborhood is not very safe. If you want good service this is also not the right choice.

Room Tip: All rooms have sea view
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
4  Thank cxjn
bonanza-playa, Director Comercial at Hotel Riu Palace Bonanza Playa, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2014

Dear guest.
At first, thanks for your choosing us and take some minute to value your stay in our hotels.
we do like to apologize for all this misunderstood.
regarding what you said about your luggage, we want to let you know that this was the first time that this happend here at the hotel.
As you told us, that another guest told you that someone catched your luggage from the hotel.
the hotel has security cams and we have checked the videos 2 or 3 times and we didnt see any suspect.
in another hand as you said that we didnt help you, our director was with you trying to help you, we offered your all the information , like police telephone, embassy telephone.
The police said, as soon we have some information regarding your lugage we would contact you.
once more, we apologize for all this misunderstood.

Saludos cordiales
Team Riu Palace Bonanza Playa
David Rios

Reviewed 8 July 2014

We stayed here for four nights in order to attend a wedding. The hotel staff are wonderful and they were so welcoming on our arrival. Our room was unavailable until 3pm and we were asked to sit in the lounge and enjoy a complimentary glass of Cava. We were given our check in details for a room on the third floor. We did not have a bathtub in our room and we were quickly allocated a room with a bath. We found the hotel clean, comfortable and our room was spacious with two balconies.
The breakfast was ample with a good choice of cold and hot options with omelettes cooked to order. We did not dine in the hotel in the evening but many of the guests did and we did not hear any complaints regarding the food.
The swimming pool was well maintained with lots of sun beds and umbrellas, there is also an infinity pool for adults only. Towels were provided for guests.
The pool bar was excellent for lunch and drinks.
Overall we had a wonderful experience at the hotel.
A short transfer from the airport and a bus or taxi ride to Palma is well worth the effort.

Room Tip: All rooms overlook the pool and sea, we were on the first floor but higher floors may be more conven...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank kenmags
Also consider these accommodations in or near Calvia
Gran Melia de Mar
#5 of 38 in Palmanova
Jumeirah Port Soller Hotel & Spa
Jumeirah Port Soller Hotel & Spa
#2 of 8 in Port de Soller

Been to Hotel Riu Palace Bonanza Playa? Share your experiences!