“Excellent Hotel - Pity about the resort”

Hotel Riu Bonanza Park
Ranked #22 of 179 Hotels in Calvia
Reviewed 2 August 2011

My wife and I are frequent guests of the Riu group of hotels. We like the service and reputation of the group. The Riu Bonanza Park was no exception. Good food, clean rooms, well kept, quiet swimming pools and surrounds and excellent service from hard working, efficient and friendly staff. We stayed for 5 nights and have no complaints whatsoever about the hotel. I particularly liked the swimming pool area. There are 2 pools, each surrounded by wooden decking. There is a snack bar serving drinks and meals. The pool area is very relaxed and quiet. Perfect for a relaxing break in the sun. The water is clean and was regularly tested by the pool staff. Towels are supplied - deposit required. We stayed on a half board basis and found the quality of the food was very good. Varied, well cooked and presented, with attentive and polite staff in attendance. Long trousers are compulsory in the evening in the dining room.The hotel manager was very visible throughout our stay and went out of her way to speak to guests and canvas opinions.

Is there a negative in this review? Well, yes, unfortunately. The resort of Illetas is a small resort, handily placed for forays into the capital Palma. Unfortunately, its' small size means there is a general lack of competition between bars, supermarkets etc with a consequence that the prices for drinks etc was rather expensive. We like to spend time at the beach and, whilst there, retired to the terrace bar of Bar Balague at the beach for some lunch. I ordered a salad with ham and cheese and, at 12 euros, expected, at least some serrano ham and edible cheese. What I got was some limp lettuce thrown on a plate together with cheap cubed processed ham and cheap cubed plastic cheese, both of which were obviously toppings for pizzas being served at the bar. A gin and tonic was over 7 euros in most bars. Be warned.

5  Thank JuanCanalaga

Reviewed 31 July 2011

My husband and I have just returned from this hotel, we were on half board basis for 1 week.On arrival we were greeted by a very polite receptionist who offered us a complimentary glass of champagne.I had requested a sea view in my booking which I know is not guaranteed and was offered a room at the front of the building with an amazing view of the sea from both of our huge windows and balcony.During our stay we were given a table number which we kept throughout our stay.Unfortunately during our stay the air conditioning stopped working.When we reported this we were informed that they needed a part to repair it and offered us a large room fan.Following this we had a bottle of champagne and a bowl of fruit sent to our room as an apology.The staff throughout the stay at the reception,dining room and pool were very polite and attentive.The bus service outside the hotel door is very good and very frequent, enabling you to visit the islands lovely beaches.

Room Tip: If you ask on arrival, the staff will do their best to assist in your requests.
2  Thank tinkerbell4_11
Reviewed 16 July 2011

My daughter and I have just returned from a 5 night stay in this hotel, I booked the holiday as a surprise 21st Birthday gift for my daughter. We arrived at about 9.15pm and was welcomed by Sandra on reception, she was very pleasant and had a lovely manner she made us feel very welcome. We were informed that a welcome drink was available for us, but if we wanted to go straight into dinner, our table was ready for us.
We were there half board and found the food was of a very high standard, with always plenty of variety, the breakfast was fabulous again with lots of choice.
Before we arrived I contacted the hotel to make several requests, and I am pleased to say that each request was met. Our room (573) was really large and nicely decorated and it was very quite so our sleep quality was great. We found all the staff really lovely and helpful with the manager always evident ensuring the smooth running of the hotel.
The pool areas were lovely and there were plenty of sun beds and parasols available.

it is a fairly hilly area, and lots of steps in the hotel, so ensure you have comfortable shoes. We went down to the sister hotel Bonanza Playa to use the gym and have a few drinks, again we were made very welcome. I chose the resort and and hotel after very careful consideration, and I was so pleased that I made this decision, we had a wonderful time, and I cant wait to go back, so thank you to everyone to everyone at the Bonanza Park who made out stay so memorable.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank MazzerB
Reviewed 13 July 2011

The hotel is nice,but when we got to the room the patio door was not lock,22.30 we were going back out to eat,i was glad i check the door, i asked to move room ,but no one really bothered,not even the manager

2  Thank jill196
Reviewed 22 June 2011

Just returned from a wonderful holiday at the Bonanza Park hotel Illetas Majorca. As soon as my wife and myself entered the reception we were welcomed by the manager and given a glass of champagne,we were given our room and told if we didnt like it we could change to another room which we did [a roomwith a view of Palma]. The hotel is very well managed, the staff are superb the grounds/2 swimming pools are immaculate. Rooms are very well maintained and kept very clean by excellent housekeepers. We could not fault the food at the hotel it was some of the best we have ever had at a Majorcan hotel. It says 4star but I would add another half 4.5. You will not be disappointed try it.

Room Tip: Great bus route No 3 every 10 min. to Palma.
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
5  Thank sheandme
Reviewed 21 June 2011

First time to a Riu Hotel but will most definitely be looking at this chain again. The Bonanza Park is at the top of a hill so you need a bit of energy if you are there in hot weather but it didn't put us off! The welcome at the hotel has got to be the best we have ever had in Spain and we have travelled there many many times over 20-30 years. The manageress was there to welcome us with a champagne or alternative if you wished. They took care of everything while we sat and sipped our champagne. There are 10 rooms that look right out onto the sea so if you are considering going ask for one of those if possible we did and it didn't cost us anything extra. They are very large rooms with one wall all patio door and one with huge picture windows so very light and airy. Also being on the 3rd floor where the rooms started meant we had a huge terrace. We loved sitting there looking out to sea watching the sailboats and cruise liners coming and going. The food was absolutely top notch and the staff were just wonderful, they were clearly very well trained to watch out if anyone needed anything without being overbearing. There were 2 special meals whilst we were there Thursday Gala Dinner and Monday typical Mallorcan food on both those nights the manageress was there to greet you with a welcoming drink - a really nice touch - she is a lovely lady who took time to talk to all the guests. Fantastic pool area (two areas) one where families tended to sit as there was a pool and a small pool for children, and the other was mainly used by adults only as the pool was much deeper and not suited to children. The bus into Palma stops right at the hotel so it's very easy to get in and out there if you want the city. Also there are numerous buses to many of the other resorts all of which are within easy reach. It really was a beautiful setting and I would love to go back to the Bonanza Park some time I highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for the front rooms looking out to sea
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
5  Thank TrypPort
Reviewed 7 October 2010

First visit to Majorca and was not sure about the island. I took a long time to select this hotel., and was not disappointed.
We arrived about 9pm and were not even check in and were escorted to the dining room for our meal while reception staff did the check in for us seen to our luggage and all we had to do was pick up our key and check details. Very impressive.
Lovely clean hotel every area was maintained to a high standard.
Food excellent and plentiful - theonly thing I missed was having the choice in the main dining room of eating outside, the design of the hotel does not allow this to happen.
Swimming pool - good with plenty of sun loungers and no shortage at this time. Small area [hotel beach] were you could get entry to the sea if you wanted that.
Entertainment programme was more than enough and a few people enjoyed this. Aquagym, rifle shooting, bowls,volleyball, darts to name but a few, during the day. The evening entertainment was ok It was a quiet hotel in a quiet area just what we wanted and needed from our holiday. The staff were all excellent, very helpfull and very friendly.
We never used the inside pool or spa area, gym or water sport so cannot comment on it.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank May F
Also consider these accommodations in or near Calvia
Hotel Riu Palace Bonanza Playa
#1 of 7 in Portals Nous
Hotel Son Caliu Spa Oasis
Hotel Son Caliu Spa Oasis
#9 of 38 in Palmanova

Been to Hotel Riu Bonanza Park? Share your experiences!