“May 2014 great hotel uncomfortable flight”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Camp De Mar
Grupotel Playa Camp de Mar
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Camp De Mar
Reviewed 4 June 2014

We have returned to this hotel for a number of years flying from Norwich with Thomson aircraft or Air Europa this year its Germania Air, and the most cramp and uncomfortable seating we have experience for many years. It really did tarnish the whole holiday. We were also not informed that you cannot input API information on line, request extra legroom, or extra luggage or seats together, this caused several outbursts with families once on-board, understandably. So unless you are less than 5ft tall and no more than 8 stone fly from somewhere with better aircraft after all Thomson its suppose to be part of the holiday experience, isn't it ?.

Room Tip: Always select beach view and not restricted. Lower floors are best as the lifts get busy with people...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank David M

Reviewed 3 June 2014

I travelled to Palma from Terminal 5 at Heathrow. I chose to return to the wonderful Grupotel Playa Hotel in Camp De mar, roughly 25 minutes by taxi from the Airport. I received a lovely welcome at the hotel by the reception team who all rememered me from my previous visits.

The facilites at the hotel are excellent. The reception are is bright and inviting with stunning views across the small horseshoe bay. There is plenty of seating in reception if you just want to sit and read whilst looking at the stunning view.

There are lifts and stairs to all floors and assistance for anyone that requires some help with their bags. I was travelling alone and had room 345 which looks out over the mountains at the side of the hotel, I prefer this to being poolside as for me personally it's quieter. There is no balcony but again not a problem for me, the rooms are spotlessly clean and very comfortable. There are hairdryers in the bathroom,nice soft towels and some handy toiletries. The rooms have fully adjustable air conditioning and flat screen televisions with 5 english channels.

The food selection available at the hotel is world class with plenty of choices for every pallete. The one thing that sets this hotel head and shoulders above the rest is the Staff...Jose' and his Team are fantastic nothing is too much trouble and they always remember your name.

The Entertainment team this year Adam and Harley are one of the best double acts I have witnessed in my four years of returning to this hotel, they have incredible chemisty and energy and every day spent round the pool was funnier than the previous one. They contiue the fabulous double act during the nightly entertainment with various quizes and competitions and friendly rivalary with each other. The professional acts this year were lacking for me compared to last year selection but the Thomson performers were pretty good.

I cannot say enough good things about this hotel, and would recommend anyone to stay there if you want a quiet relaxing break. The resort is tiny and quiet during off peak months May/Sept/Oct which is generally when I go the average temperature for my first two weeks in May was mid 70's with you could comfortably sit outside all day without getting burnt. If you are not one for laying around the pool there is a great bus service running from just across the road and a car/bike hire business also if you wish to travel further a field.

There are several shops in the resort including a Newsagent, run by a British Lady called Heidi, a Bank/Chemist/two Mini-Supermarkets and tourist shops selling both souvenirs, holiday clothes and Jewellery. I am already booked to go back in September this year and looking ahead to May 2015.....so maybe see you there !!!

Thank You Jose' and Grupotel Staff for a fabulous Holiday

Room Tip: I prefer a room not overlooking the pool as I find this quieter....but I've stayed in various ro...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
10  Thank Lee P
Reviewed 2 June 2014

Just back from a week in this hotel and like all the other comments it is an outstanding hotel.
We found the resort very quiet nowhere to stroll in the evening only round the block.
The daytime events were very good Adam the rep was very entertaining,but we are not sunbed lovers, so went out most days. The buses are very good a trip into Palma one hour journey well worth it.the bus takes you right into the bus station in the centre. Ask the Thomson rep about the Palma City bus trips you can book it with them for half price,the bus takes you all over the city.
The food is wonderful with special events sushi/tapas nights. Also there is a paella and sangria demo on Friday lunch time which was excellent and we got to eat it.
I would recommend the walk with Chris to Pergula via the woods if you are able.
The only down side is the resort has a big build in progress to the left of the hotel,they started pile driving just a we left,Thomson never mentioned this to us.
They work Mon to Friday and finish at 7pm.

Room Tip: We had 525 god view and away far enough from building works.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MAUREEN W
Reviewed 2 June 2014

I arrived at 4am on 31/5/2014, soon as I opened the door to the room my face fell, it looked like a converted broom cupboard, but it was 4am. I fell on the bed and fell asleep, but I was soon awakened when they turned on the extractor fans on in the kitchens two floors directly below this room, also as it was a Saturday the airport buses were reversing into the hotel every couple of minutes. It was also overlooking a busy road junction and a taxi rank. I tried to freshen up and clean my teeth, but the wash hand basin had not been connected properly and water poured all over the shower room floor, but that was a minor problem.
I tried change rooms but none were available, so I booked a flight back home at a personal cost of over a £100 on the 3/6/2014. If I want to be depressed, I would rather be at home.
Why do all these hotels treat single guests like third class citizens.

Room Tip: dont travel as a single
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
14  Thank Rodney B
Reviewed 2 June 2014

Once again we had a superb May break at the Playa, with excellent food, friendly and enthusiastic staff, a spotless room, good entertainment, and fantastic views.

A very helpful innovation is the young lad who helps get sunbeds and parasols into position by the pool for the older visitors in the morning - an idea proposed by manager Jose .

We were fortunate to secure a suite this year (they are always booked up very quickly), but discovered that not all suites are made the same. Thomson DO NOT make this very clear when you book.

We were hoping for an original suite with Eurosized Superking bed (6' 6" wide) and a luxury bathroom with a jacuzzi bathtub. We got a newer suite with a walk-in shower and two singles instead. However, thanks go to the reception team who organised for them to be made up into one big bed.

Other improvements at the Playa include the introduction of free WiFi and eiderdowns. At present only half the hotel's rooms benefit from these new duvets, the remainder still have blankets, but the scheme will cover the entire hotel by the start of the 2015 season.

Room Tip: A high floor with sea view cannot be beaten.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 1 June 2014 via mobile

The Hotel was a wow, first stay it will not be the last!!!.
Jose and the staff were falling over themselves to please.
The food was disgustingly good!! Had we stayed longer than a week, we would have needed a new wardrobe each.
The Thompson entertainment staff Adam-Harley exuded joy and laughter, excellent week.
The building work nearby didn't
dampen our enthusiasm for the Hotel or resort.

• Stayed: May 2014
3  Thank De J
Reviewed 31 May 2014

We have just returned from our second visit to Playa Camp de Mar and once again we had an amazing time. The location, food and staff are wonderful. Although there is building work nearby it was not too disturbing for us as our room was at the other end of the hotel! The bar staff are great fun and they looked after us very well. We loved Adam's enthusiasm and looked forward to him entertaining us each day. Cannot wait to return. K & C

Room Tip: Choose a sea view room, amazing views
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Hotel Villa Real
Hotel Villa Real
#5 of 6 in Camp De Mar
Cabau Bahia Camp de Mar Suites

Been to Grupotel Playa Camp de Mar? Share your experiences!