“Getting old with Thompson gold”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Camp De Mar
Grupotel Playa Camp de Mar
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Camp De Mar
Majorca, Spain
“Getting old with Thompson gold”
Reviewed 9 July 2014

This Hotel is simply stunning, in a picturesque resort with fantastic staff.
I really cannot praise the hotel enough, clean, modern, free wifi, safe, fridge and pool towels.
Spoiled for choice of food in the excellent restaurant, bubbling hot choices and chilled salad selection. I did make a pig of myself every night, not knowing what to go for next with such a vast choice.
However Thompson themselves need to be brought to book. What has happened to customer service?
In all the years I have been with Thompson Gold we have watched the service diminish on a yearly basis to what is now annoying.
I don't do political correctness so if you are easily offended do not read any further.
I have a room in my head like that room 101 on telly, where everything in that room gets a gun and sent to a war zone to do something useful for our country.
Thompson Gold are going in that room.
We used to get met by a rep at the airport and guided to our coach, now we have to guess or ask the driver where he is going.
We used to be first drop off as we were Gold and entitled to extra benefits of paying more, now we are just another stop on route.
We used to get our bags taken into the hotel, now we have to carry our own..
We used to have some good entertainment in the evenings, The Spanish Beatles, ABBA, Beach boys and such like. Amusing good fun we could dance to.
Now we have the Camp entertainment, CAMP being the operative word.
We now have to suffer the poof at the pool every hour or so shouting over the mic and prancing around in a frock.
It seems to be a prerequisite to be Gay to be an entertainer, in my day it was illegal now they are a protected species and ramming it down my throat that I have to like their behaviour.
Room 101 for CAMP entertainment and that doesn't mean I want the plank at the piano either.

The hotel is fabulous and the building site next to it is quieter than the idiots employed to harass you at your leisure.

Room Tip: rooms 30 to 40 have a larger balcony and are bigger rooms. Yes there is a building site next to the...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Brian W

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,036)
  • Polish first
Brit
Reviewed 8 July 2014

Having stayed in the Grupotel Maritimo in Alcudia last year and enjoyed it very much, we decided to stick with the chain this year - but try a different resort. The Playa Camp de Mar had the same high standards of cleanliness, service and food but there were a couple of differences that disappointed us slightly - though these were small and didn't spoil our holiday. The first was the bathrooms: these have clearly been updated recently - very nice, but it's a shame that none of them have bidets. There is no indoor heated pool/sauna, but the outdoor pool is heated slightly, so not a major problem. I didn't realise at the time of booking that the hotel has 100% Thomson occupancy so the guests are all British. For some, this is probably ideal but I like to mix it up with different nationalities when I'm on holiday. It also meant daily Bingo games round the pool and (I felt) a less polished / professional range of evening entertainment than the acts we saw in Alcudia last year (who had to try harder as they had to communicate with their audience in 3 or 4 different languages). The daytime Thomson activities people worked hard to offer games and quizzes - but I booked the hotel because it was in a quiet resort (it was) and I wanted to relax in peace & quiet: I didn't want loudspeaker announcements bellowing out round the pool area exhorting me to join in the fun, tossing bean bags. I don't fault the hotel or Thomson on this - clearly, I was in the minority since most people seemed to be enjoying the fun & games. I'm not a misery guts, and as I say, it didn't spoil the holiday - but for reasons of entirely personal preferences, I wouldn't return to this hotel. The staff were lovely, the food was really good; it's just not the type of vacation I want. The search for the (my!) perfect hotel goes on...

Room Tip: Avoid any room numbers ending in 02 (eg 202,302,402) as these have very, very small balconies and sm...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank BritBookworm
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 July 2014

just returned from grupotel playa end of june what a wonderfull hotel food superb rooms great views great get a sea view room well worth it the hotel is spotlessly clean the staff cant do enough for you the manager is always around making sure everything is ok the entertainment team of adam and sarah are extremely good they actually make your day I WOULD RECOMMEND THIS HOTEL TO ANYBODY WHO WANTS A GREAT HOTEL

Room Tip: pick a suite plenty of room great views if not get a sea view room worth the extra cash
1 Thank harryquarmby
Norwich, Norfolk, England.
Reviewed 7 July 2014

Recently returned from another wonderful holiday in the best hotel in Mallorca, namely the Grupotel Playa Camp De Mar. The staff were very welcoming when we arrived this year, it is like going home. The hotel is spotlessly clean, as usual. This is the 8th time that we have been and will return next year for another two weeks of heaven. We cannot fault this hotel at all, and the amount of old friends that we met again there this year says it all. People keep going back, year after year. Jose, the manager is always very easy to speak to, and is always around...... I am sure he does not sleep..... The staff in every department are all so happy in their work, it is a pleasure to be with them. As for the Thomson entertainment reps, namely Adam and Sarah..... what can we say. Sarah is still learning and she is very good at her job, but ADAM, well....... HE IS A GEM.
THOMSON, PLEASE TAKE NOTE. Adam had everyone in fits of laughter all the time. He is exceptionally good at what he does. We really have missed him since we have been home. I do hope that we meet him again. Well done Adam for making our holiday such fun. Keep it up where ever you go in the future. I hope it is back to this hotel.... Thank you to Jose for allowing us to have our usual room again this year. It is little touches like that that make it such a wonderful hotel to come back to. We will see you all next year.

Room Tip: Rooms are quieter that do not overlook the pool.
2 Thank JAYELLA57
Yeovil, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 July 2014

Great location and wonderful views of the beach from our sea view balcony. We were a bit concerned when we first got to our room as it was right next to the lifts and we were worried about the noise but we didn't get disturbed once. First impressions of the room were a bit disappointing which we soon realised was just down to the colour of the bedding - it was 'orange' and seemed very dated with dark wood furnishings but we soon settled in and noticed the curtains, walls etc were all immaculate, just we didn't like the colour of the bedding. The kettle and mini fridge in the room was a bonus. We were disappointed we had to pay for the safe for a week which was unexpected in a Thomson Gold hotel and normally you can just programme a 4 digit number but this one you had to get a key from reception and leave a refundable deposit. All areas were cleaned daily including the pool itself which was one of the warmest pools I have been in for a long time. Great daily entertainment from Adam and Sarah and the rest of his team and it's the first holiday that I have managed to join in the aqua aerobics on most mornings which were great fun. Food was really good with a lot of choice and to a high standard. There was the usual rush in the morning at 7 am when the doors opened to the pool area to get a sun bed which was a shame but there are plenty of spare beds that you can get yourself from a stack of them and mattress covers. The evening professional entertainment we thought was very poor quality and listened mostly from our balcony. We would love to go again because the location is perfect with a great beach for snorkelling but we have always go AI and decided to try halfboard again and would only return if this hotel changed to AI. Nothing against the hotel and its staff etc just prefer All Inclusive.

3 Thank Theresa D
Lincolnshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 July 2014

we have just returned from a 2 week stay at this fabulous hotel, it was spotless, the food was excellent, great choice and piping hot,you can see why it get such high scores year after year. It is a quiet location with just 4 hotels, but you can catch a taxi outside the hotel to go to Peguira or Andrax if you fancied a change for about 6 euros each way.The evening entertainment was typical Thomson and could only be described as fair. The day time entertainment was really good and varied. A special mention to Adam and Sarah, who are both hilarious and who make a great team, we have never seen as many people enjoying the pool exercise, even the pool edge was full and guests were sitting bolt upright on the sunbeds enjoying the very entertaining Adam and Sarah antics. All the hotel staff were amazing, nothing was too much trouble, Jose the manager was very hands on and was very entertaining at the good bye meeting, the service was excellent from the bar to reception, the only drawback was the transfer from the airport to the hotel, we sat on the bus at the airport for 35 mins, then did numerous drop offs before arriving at our hotel 1 hour and 30 mins later (total 2 hours), a long drawn out journey, maybe do a taxi transfer next time. We will definitely return to this splendid hotel in 2 years time and would recommend it to all Thomson Gold travellers.

Room Tip: stayed on 4th floor sea view and was very happy
6 Thank maureen s
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 July 2014

Recently returned again from the best hotel in Mallorca.It must be good for us to visit three times a year.We have stayed at hotels all over this island at different times of the year but for all round value this is unbeatable.From Jose,apart from being an excellant manager is a lovely person.All the staff work with the same can do ethic.The entertainment team especially Adam are very good.My wife is quite a fussy eater bit always finds something to eat.There has been subtle change in the menu over the years since we first visited,more leaner cuts of meat,more vegetable choice,diabetic and vegitarian diets catered for.We always use taxi transfers to and from the airport.If you have printed your boarding pass why haveyou got to be picked up 6-30 am for a 10-30 flight.We have breakfast,walk over to the taxi rank at 8-30 and still beat the coach transfer who traversed the south western part of Mallorca visiting hotels.As long as you are there an hour before the gate closes,no problem.Soon your boarding pass will be on your I phone.The Thomson reps still peddle the myth that you will be first in the queue at the airport.What they dont tell you that there is a two tier system in operation .For people with printed boarding passes they are fast tracked,everybody else bad luck.Coming back to the hotel.the building work that is going on will i believe enhance the overall ambience of the entire area.

Room Tip: e-mail to pick what floor you want
5 Thank sxj10
Cabau Bahia Camp de Mar Suites
Gran Melia de Mar
Gran Melia de Mar
#3 of 182 in Calvia

Been to Grupotel Playa Camp de Mar? Share your experiences!