“Too much Thomson not enough Camp De Mar”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Camp De Mar
Grupotel Playa Camp de Mar
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Camp De Mar
Reviewed 10 July 2014

We stayed here for 11 nights and really enjoyed our time away! The location is to die for with sensational views of the loveliest turquoise ocean, beautiful beaches and mountains. You are nestled between the hills therefore you do get the odd gust of winds (watch out for the flying umbrellas!!) But Camp De Mar is stunning. We particularly enjoyed visiting Cala Fornells as well as Port Andratx (lovely place but a bit too tre chic darling!) The staff were fabulous, service with a smile and attentive to your every need!

Our highlights were the quality of restaurant staff (Otumba, Oscar, Vivianna were the favourites) Food was great with a good selection, sometimes a bit on the oily side but just being picky! Wonderful atmosphere and just a fab place to unwind and soak up the sunshine. Downsides: Sleep! Or lack of! Doors do not shut quietly and people get up early for sunbeds.. there is no such thing as a lie in (even with earplugs) You can hear your neighbour's tv turn on and general noise if they are having a loud conversation! Pillows and beds are hard. Very uncomfortable, thankfully after reading reviews we decided to pack some of our own and they helped compensate the lack of comfort. Lovely showers but rooms lack a bit of flair, reception could also do with an update. Thomson Reps, you were chirpy, helpful and entertaining but I really felt the emphasis was on them far too much. From quizzes to games to evening entertainment, it was all a bit full on. We joined in a few of the games so we were up for it, but really difficult to read and relax properly when every hour there's an announcement and hate to say it but Adam, entertainment guru (bless you!) dominates and is very loud. I didn't go on holiday to be entertained, I went to relax. Adam is good at getting people involved and making people laugh but we could have done without the constant "I am the 2nd highest rated Thomson's entertainment rep in the world" comments. We enjoyed Sarah and she got the balance right, at times it felt like the Adam show. Also just to warn people that around the pool area, both in your room (if you have a sea view) and the sunbeds, the volume is too much at times. Hard to sleep before 11.30pm due to loud entertainment. Would suggest, moving the stage & entertainment to opposite side of pool.

All in all, we would go again but there are areas to be improved. Especially sleep quality and noise on the plus side the hotel itself, staff, food, location and cleanliness were quality. However would love to see more Spanish influences!

5  Thank belle133

Reviewed 9 July 2014

Was recommended to this Hotel a Thompson Gold and we where not disappointed. Fantastic view from our balcony and the staff, food and rooms could not be faulted. Everything is spotless and nothing is to much trouble for the staff and management.We had a sea view room with a large balcony on the first floor and the views spectacular.
The only minor gripe I have is that the large pool area and sunbeds where taken up by "guests" who claimed squatters rights the instant the pool was opened at 07:00 hours by placing towels etc on the sunbeds and then wandering off leaving little opportunity for the likes of my wife and I to occupy at any time!. However the beach area 2 mins away is fantastic with ample room for our beach brolley, and as can be expected absolutely spotless.
Camp De Mar is a wonderful secluded bay, there are shops,bank and clothes shops, car and bicycle hire, taxi rank outside hotel and a excellent local bus service 5 mins away. We did venture to Port Andrax, Santa Peguera which you can walk to. We also enjoyed a trip to Palma.
Really enjoyed this holiday and we will deffinately be returning.

Room Tip: Our room was on the first floor with fantastic sea view and large balcony. Only the first floor has...
3  Thank Colin G
Reviewed 9 July 2014

Returned home on July 1st from our third visit to this lovely hotel. As a couple we have been to most of the Gold hotels but this is definitely our favourite and we never fail to be impressed by the beautiful location, food and staff friendliness. This time our daughter came with us and also loved it. Three weeks before we arrived I emailed Jose the manager to ask for a high floor sea view room for us, which we got, and a decent single room for our daughter. She had a very nice high room overlooking the tennis courts/mountains, not overlooking the street which can get a bit noisy with regular coaches dropping off/picking up. Jose is always on hand to speak to you and deal with any problems and the Thomson animation staff Adam and Sarah are real gems and the best we have come across although the evening entertainment can be a little hit and miss. Once again we have had a wonderful holiday at this lovely hotel and will definitely be back. Thank you Jose and your wonderful staff.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank David W
Reviewed 9 July 2014

This Hotel is simply stunning, in a picturesque resort with fantastic staff.
I really cannot praise the hotel enough, clean, modern, free wifi, safe, fridge and pool towels.
Spoiled for choice of food in the excellent restaurant, bubbling hot choices and chilled salad selection. I did make a pig of myself every night, not knowing what to go for next with such a vast choice.
However Thompson themselves need to be brought to book. What has happened to customer service?
In all the years I have been with Thompson Gold we have watched the service diminish on a yearly basis to what is now annoying.
I don't do political correctness so if you are easily offended do not read any further.
I have a room in my head like that room 101 on telly, where everything in that room gets a gun and sent to a war zone to do something useful for our country.
Thompson Gold are going in that room.
We used to get met by a rep at the airport and guided to our coach, now we have to guess or ask the driver where he is going.
We used to be first drop off as we were Gold and entitled to extra benefits of paying more, now we are just another stop on route.
We used to get our bags taken into the hotel, now we have to carry our own..
We used to have some good entertainment in the evenings, The Spanish Beatles, ABBA, Beach boys and such like. Amusing good fun we could dance to.
Now we have the Camp entertainment, CAMP being the operative word.
We now have to suffer the poof at the pool every hour or so shouting over the mic and prancing around in a frock.
It seems to be a prerequisite to be Gay to be an entertainer, in my day it was illegal now they are a protected species and ramming it down my throat that I have to like their behaviour.
Room 101 for CAMP entertainment and that doesn't mean I want the plank at the piano either.

The hotel is fabulous and the building site next to it is quieter than the idiots employed to harass you at your leisure.

Room Tip: rooms 30 to 40 have a larger balcony and are bigger rooms. Yes there is a building site next to the...
1  Thank Brian W
Reviewed 8 July 2014

Having stayed in the Grupotel Maritimo in Alcudia last year and enjoyed it very much, we decided to stick with the chain this year - but try a different resort. The Playa Camp de Mar had the same high standards of cleanliness, service and food but there were a couple of differences that disappointed us slightly - though these were small and didn't spoil our holiday. The first was the bathrooms: these have clearly been updated recently - very nice, but it's a shame that none of them have bidets. There is no indoor heated pool/sauna, but the outdoor pool is heated slightly, so not a major problem. I didn't realise at the time of booking that the hotel has 100% Thomson occupancy so the guests are all British. For some, this is probably ideal but I like to mix it up with different nationalities when I'm on holiday. It also meant daily Bingo games round the pool and (I felt) a less polished / professional range of evening entertainment than the acts we saw in Alcudia last year (who had to try harder as they had to communicate with their audience in 3 or 4 different languages). The daytime Thomson activities people worked hard to offer games and quizzes - but I booked the hotel because it was in a quiet resort (it was) and I wanted to relax in peace & quiet: I didn't want loudspeaker announcements bellowing out round the pool area exhorting me to join in the fun, tossing bean bags. I don't fault the hotel or Thomson on this - clearly, I was in the minority since most people seemed to be enjoying the fun & games. I'm not a misery guts, and as I say, it didn't spoil the holiday - but for reasons of entirely personal preferences, I wouldn't return to this hotel. The staff were lovely, the food was really good; it's just not the type of vacation I want. The search for the (my!) perfect hotel goes on...

Room Tip: Avoid any room numbers ending in 02 (eg 202,302,402) as these have very, very small balconies and sm...
4  Thank BritBookworm
Reviewed 8 July 2014

just returned from grupotel playa end of june what a wonderfull hotel food superb rooms great views great get a sea view room well worth it the hotel is spotlessly clean the staff cant do enough for you the manager is always around making sure everything is ok the entertainment team of adam and sarah are extremely good they actually make your day I WOULD RECOMMEND THIS HOTEL TO ANYBODY WHO WANTS A GREAT HOTEL

Room Tip: pick a suite plenty of room great views if not get a sea view room worth the extra cash
1  Thank harryquarmby
Reviewed 7 July 2014

Recently returned from another wonderful holiday in the best hotel in Mallorca, namely the Grupotel Playa Camp De Mar. The staff were very welcoming when we arrived this year, it is like going home. The hotel is spotlessly clean, as usual. This is the 8th time that we have been and will return next year for another two weeks of heaven. We cannot fault this hotel at all, and the amount of old friends that we met again there this year says it all. People keep going back, year after year. Jose, the manager is always very easy to speak to, and is always around...... I am sure he does not sleep..... The staff in every department are all so happy in their work, it is a pleasure to be with them. As for the Thomson entertainment reps, namely Adam and Sarah..... what can we say. Sarah is still learning and she is very good at her job, but ADAM, well....... HE IS A GEM.
THOMSON, PLEASE TAKE NOTE. Adam had everyone in fits of laughter all the time. He is exceptionally good at what he does. We really have missed him since we have been home. I do hope that we meet him again. Well done Adam for making our holiday such fun. Keep it up where ever you go in the future. I hope it is back to this hotel.... Thank you to Jose for allowing us to have our usual room again this year. It is little touches like that that make it such a wonderful hotel to come back to. We will see you all next year.

Room Tip: Rooms are quieter that do not overlook the pool.
2  Thank JAYELLA57
Hotel Cala Fornells
Hotel Cala Fornells
#10 of 52 in Peguera
Cabau Bahia Camp de Mar Suites

Been to Grupotel Playa Camp de Mar? Share your experiences!