“Return Visit”

Ranked #7 of 24 Hotels in Can Pastilla
Nottingham UK
“Return Visit”
Reviewed 11 July 2014

Stayed here two years ago and really enjoyed it hence the return visit. Just as good as the first time. Agree with other postings, staff friendly and food good. Requested a higher floor and although it was as the back of the hotel as expected we had a splendid view over Palma.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank doug-jo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (159)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
UK
Reviewed 17 June 2014

This is about the twelfth time we have stayed at the Luz over the past 16 years, and once again we were not disappointed. Very friendly staff, spotlessly clean great food so much choice. This holiday was a birthday treat for my husbands 60th we wanted just to relax for a week which is just what we did the weather was absolutely gorgeous. The entertainment was very good also. Cannot wait to go back it's my 60th next year so fingers crosssed. Ask for a pool view (you can still see the sea) or a sea view. Do not be put off by the planes you tend to forget about them and they do not keep you awake at nights. Rooms have air conditioning. PERFECT HOLIDAY HEAVEN.

Room Tip: If you ask for a pool view you can still see the sea
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Susan P
manchester
Reviewed 17 June 2014

just back from a 3 week stay here for the 2nd year and just as good. the breakfast was fantastic as usual and we got the same room as last year as requested. tried the new gym and the sauna and fab views from them. didnt try a massage but spoke to several people that had them and said they were brillant. the bar service this year wasnt as quick or efficient as last year pending on the person who was on. but other than that fantastic stay and will be back next year

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank dw12393
Blackpool
Reviewed 16 June 2014

I stayed at this hotel November 2013 with my mother. 5 minute taxi ride from the airport or you can take a bus to the end of the road if you can manage the cases. We had a room on the 4th floor and paid extra for the sea view. Well worth it in my opinion although anyone looking for serenity and silence might have an issue with the planes. They literally fly over every few seconds due to the proximity of the airport. To be honest after the first hour, I stopped hearing them but others might find it intrusive. I'm an aviation geek so I loved watching them and was thrilled to see a couple of fighter jets taking off one evening too!

The room was average for the price I thought. Beds were ok - comfy enough and we requested extra pillows from reception which they brought up to the room for us without complaint. The bathroom was disappointing for a Spanish hotel. I find they usually offer quite a high standard compared with other countries but this was no more than average. Clean enough though and everything worked. There was the customary dancing in the shower until I worked out how to get the temperature spot on but otherwise no complaints. I hear they charge for hiring kettles - we took a travel kettle so not a problem for us. I felt our room was ready for a refurb but, to be honest, any small disappointment was more than made up for by evenings spent watching the sun go down from the balcony with a gin and tonic.

We were lucky with the weather and spent a lot of time on the terrace outside the bar and restaurant. Even in the cooler November evenings it was lovely. Daytime service was slow but that is possibly because it was out of season and the waitresses could hardly believe we were sitting out in the breeze. They thought it was cold so we're made of stern stuff apparently! If in doubt, pop into the bar to order and that jump starts the service we found. After breakfast, we often sat out there with coffee. It really is a lovely way to start the day.

Even out of season it is an easy stroll to the nearest shops and bars. My mother suffers with a heart problem and walking difficulties but we had no trouble at all getting about. Lovely walk too. Bus into Palma is also easy. We didn't go anywhere else but there is a car hire place nearby should you wish to.

The quality of food was about average for a large hotel but there was absolutely loads of choice for every meal so it was always possible to find something really nice. You serve yourself and I can imagine it might be very busy in the high season. We were half board and really could not complain about breakfast or the evening meal. Very relaxed atmosphere and good bar service in the restaurant. We also had lunch from the bar a couple of days and it was very good indeed. Far exceeded the lunches we had at other places close by.

All in all we had a fabulous break at this hotel. I would definitely go back but I would look for a good deal because I did think the prices were a little steep compared with other hotels. Probably a strong 3* rather than 4 star but the views did make up for a lot so it depends what you are looking for. I wanted peace, relaxation, sea views and a little sunshine without children. I got all of that plus pretty good service and a smile thrown in!

Room Tip: Pay the extra for the sea view but remember those planes fly in and out really low every few seconds...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank lindajs
Dusseldorf, Germany
Reviewed 5 June 2014

I went with a group of graduates from my school as a "Senior trip" themed vacation. This meant we planned to party just about every night, and this hotel served as a place to crash at when we were done. Although it may serve as a great fit for some people, it is definitely not the perfect place for a younger crowd.

Pros of the hotel:
-Pool, gorgeous and not too crowded so there were always enough chairs for everyone.
-View, it's easy to get a view that isn't very nice on lower floors but if you make sure to get one on the 4th or 5th floor you usually have a lovely view of the ocean or pool.
-Noise, my group was probably the noisiest - but since the typical people staying there are older adults the noise level would be low without us being there. Planes taking off from the airport were very noticeable during the day however I never noticed them while sleeping nor was kept awake at any point by them. If there are any performances during your stay, definitely book a room on the higher floors of the hotel and you will not be disturbed if they are playing late into the night.
-I would like to commend the staff for putting up with such a large group of younger people and still being so kind to us. Of course we did get a warning that we would be thrown out if there were too many complaints from other vacationers.. But that is understandable.

Cons of the hotel:
-Beds, definitely did not live up to my standards. Since this hotel was purely a place for us to crash in between partying and tanning, I did not expect much. However they were worse than expected. You only get one pillow which is very thin and flat. The covers consist of a sheet and a thin blanket. We did request more pillows which we received free of charge - so thank you to the staff for that. I will point out that I never slept badly, but if I came with my family to have a nice relaxing vacation I would be more disappointed - I've stayed at hostels with better beds.
-If you are a group of young adults, I would not suggest this hotel/location. I would say about 80% of the population in the immediate area and 100% of those at the hotel are 30 years or older. If you are eager to socialize and meet new people your age either go closer to Ballerman area (if you are German), or Magaluf (if you are English).
However if you are an older adult eager for a place to get out of the hubbub of young people and simply relax by the pool or in nearby bars with others your own age.. this is the place for you!

Room Tip: Similar to what other reviews say, definitely get a higher floor (typically less noise and a better...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
5 Thank Emma g
Dusseldorf, Germany
Reviewed 27 May 2014

I am extremely dissapointed with Marina Luz. The staff was very rude to us from the start and threatened to call the police when we were talking normally in the lobby when we came back to the hotel...

• Stayed May 2014
7 Thank HonestHor
MarinaHotels, Ecommerce market at AluaSoul Palma, responded to this review, 2 June 2014
Dear Guests

First of all, I would like to thank you on behalf of the Management of the Hotel Marina Luz and the General Management of Marina Hotels for taking the time and interest to review the Hotel Marina Luz following your most recent stay with us.

We are very sorry about the problems during your stay, normally we don't have any problems with the hotel staff, contrary we always have very good comments about service.
I hope you will come back soon and you could verify that it has been an occasional situation.

We would like to thank you for your comments regarding the service of our team members, and we trust that despite your concerns regarding our hotel, that you enjoyed your stay in Mallorca.

Yours sincerely,

Cecilia Velázquez
E-commerce Market of Marina Hotels
rushden
Reviewed 12 May 2014

This was a holiday that we were really looking forward to,adults only,peaceful,upmarket,but it turned out to be a holiday from hell.Dont get me wrong here,it started great,on arriving we were told our room had been handed over to a large group, but we were offered a junior suite at no extra cost, we thought great.It had a fantastic view, lovely bathroom,and the largest bed i`ve ever seen.After along day travelling we had dinner and adrink(in a spotless bright dinning room)and then had an early night.
In the morning we had breakfast,which was as good as it gets,great choice,well cooked,and thendown to the pool to chill out for the day.It was 9 o clock and not one sunbed had been taken which we thought was odd,but hey can't moan there.At 10 to eleven loads of people started to fill up the terrace and the upper deck,and dead on eleven the music started.Not pleasant background music but in your face deafening hip hop,at a level you cannot believe.It was a large Swiss dance group( around 95 strong)who split into two groups and danced for seven hours continuously.Salsa,rumba,zumba,tango,you name it,they did it,and each seemed to do it louder than the other group.When individuals were not dancing ,they lounged around watching taking up all the tables.We put up with this a second day hoping that they would turn down the volume,but no eleven till six boom, boom ,boom! We had enough by then and went to reception to complain,we asked to see the manager but of course he was`nt available.We left our room number and asked for him to contact us,on his return,it never happened.
The next day we again went to reception to see the manager,not available again,but we could sort it in the morning with the senior reception manager.So in the mean time it was boom, boom, boom again.When we did speak,to be honest she was very helpful and humble,not at all confrontational,she said it was very noisy and it was the first time they had ever hosted an event like this,and there wasn`t much she could do,and said we were due some compensation,a free weekend later in the year.We declined,and are in the process of taking this further.The rest of the week was spent away from the hotel till early evening,costing us a lot of money.
The thing is, more of these dance events are planned for the future,and i feel sorry for anyone who`s unlucky to pick a week like this one,because this hotel is in a lovely position.with a lot going for it.

Room Tip: high rooms with pool view have sun till 3 o clock
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
#2 of 77 in Playa de Palma
Hotel JS Cape Colom
Hotel JS Cape Colom
#2 of 7 in Porto Colom

Been to AluaSoul Palma? Share your experiences!